Silver Power SP-SS750M 750w Review
Published: 27th May 2010 | Source: Silver Power | Price: £94.58 |
SilverPower. Now there's a name I haven't heard for a good few years. Originally founded by Tagan back in 2004 as their budget range, SilverPower has had a fairly slow but steady life with a string of good reviews including the Blue Lightning 600w that launched the brand and the GuardianX 1000W that ironically got pulled from the shelves because it was better than most of Tagan's high-end models at the time!
Fast forward 6 years to the current day and Tagan are pretty much out of the game with only a few of their previous-gen units floating around on retailers weekly special lists. However their sibling is still going strong mostly thanks to its good positioning price-wise and the currently poor state of the economy. However let's not beat about the bush and get straight into the specs...
• Super high efficiency for energy savings (Energy Star 4.0 compliant)
• Detachable modular cables - use precisely the cables you need
• DC to DC converter design, superior dynamic response & greater system stability
• Practical dual +12 V Rails, ample 12 V output with OCP for extreme utilisation
• Tight voltage regulation, improved load regulation to minimise voltage fl uctuations
• Japanese high temperature (105°C) capacitors
• Solid capacitors on 12V rails for extreme stress operation conditions
• Active power factor correction [99% PF] for reduced line noise and power distortion
• Dual sided PCB layout for better use of PCP space
• Smart and silent fan control [S2FC], one of the best performance noise controller available on the
• San Ace silent fan [SANYO DENKI], premium quality fan for silent operation; 12 cm ball bearing
fan mounted on soft rubber cushions to reduce fan vibration and rotation noises
• Ultra ventilation [honey comb structure] for increased airfl ow and reduced noise levels
• All in one DC cabling design to support PC, IPC, workstation systems
• 4x 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors to support all multi-GPU platforms
• Patented Easy Swap peripheral connectors for easy plug and unplug connection
• Universal AC input for plug and run anywhere around the world
• Over Voltage / Under Voltage / Over Current / Over Power / Short Circuit Protection
• >150,000 hours MTBF, excluding fan
• 2 Year warranty
Super high efficiency, DC to DC design, dual +12v rails, Jap caps, Sanyo Denki fan, 2yr warranty......certainly doesn't sound like your average budget PSU. In fact it sounds better than a lot of the high-end models I've seen recently. I'm intrigued.
|Silver Power 750w Rail Layout|
A closer look at the rails reveals a fairly powerful +5v rail sitting alongside a slightly lower powered +3.3v rail. Of course the maximum output of both rails no matter the distribution of load is 150w. Over on the +12v side both rails sit at 38A with maximum load of 744w (62A). At least with a dual rail layout we are almost guaranteed that the unit is using OCP to protect from overloading - unlike most single rail PSU's.
Lets move on...