Silver Power SP-850M 850W Modular PSU Review
SilverPower have been quietly producing PSU's for a few years now, from our experience talking to forum members its not a name that normally springs to mind unless dropping an ape, monkey or King Kong reference into the conversation! The whole range is based around the Ronseal code of ethics. I can hear many of you wondering what the hell we're on about, well it does exactly what is says on the tin! Nothing more nothing less. Well so we thought, because as you will see through this review the SP-S850M want to give you more, much more than what you may be paying for.
Specifications & Features
• Super high efficiency for energy savings, up to 85% efficiency, 80 Plus Bronze approval
• 3% line regulation for 3.3V/5V/+12V rail for maximum stability, security and performance
• Dynamic Load on +12V to ensure maximum compatibility with mainboards and perhperials
• High reliability Aluminum Electrolytic capacitors for increased product life and reliability
• Active Power Factor Correctin [99% PF] for reduced line noise and power distortion
• Advanced Dual Forward Converter circuit design for added reliability and efficiency
• Smart and Silent Fan Control [S2FC], one of the best performance noise controller available on the
• 12cm double ball, ball bearing fan for increased airflow and lifetime and reduced noise levels
• 12cm ball bearing fan mounted on soft rubber cushions to reduce fan vibration and rotation noises
• Ultra ventilation [Honey Comb Structure] for increased airflow and reduced noise levels
• 4x PCI-Express connectors to support high end graphics cards
• All in One DC Cabling to support PC, IPC, workstations, servers and dual CPU systems
• Patented Easy Swap peripheral connectors for easy plug and unplug connection
• Total Protection with Over Voltage, Over Power and Short Circuit Protection
• Universal AC Input for plug and run anywhere around the world
• >100,000 hours MTBF, excluding fan
• RoHS compliant
• PFC Harmonics compliant, EN61000-3-2: 2000
• Safety approvals: TUV, Semko, CB & CE
• Meets Erp requirement
• Modular cables
Model Fixed cable SP-S850M 850 Watt
• M/B (20 + 4P) 1 550 mm
• ATX12V (4+4P) 1 550 mm
• PCI-E (6+2P) 2 550 + 100 mm
• EPS12V (8P) 1x 550 mm
• PCI-E (6+2P) 2x 550 + 100 mm
• 3SATA (5P) 2x 550 + 150 + 150 mm
• 3SATA (5P) 2x 550 + 150 + 150 mm
• 2SATA (5P) 1x 350 + 150 mm
• 3Molex (4P) 1x 550 + 150 + 150 mm
• 2Molex (4P) 2x 350 + 150 mm
• 2x Y adapter for FDD 1 140 + 140 mm
This box is basic but it does its job, everything arrived well packed and undamaged. The extra cables come in a nice cloth bag to help you keep the spare together so when hunting underneath your bed for an extra molex cable you at least have something of a decent size to be looking for!
As you can see here the satin black PSU case is very OEM looking, nothing flashy or bling for us to descibe here. We think if they had changed the wire grill to black though they could have easily passed this off for a stealthy looking unit. The design team really hadnt had enough coffee the day they were working on this!
That bloody monkey is everywhere! If you have you PSU grill facing down then you will be graced with this every time you look through your window or open you side panel. best excuse ever to switch to the dark side and face your PSU fan up like all the cool kids because on that side there is no sticker! The main power cable that feeds the unit with its 240v of juice is a bit of a blast from the past, because we are all pretty sure its the same cable they used to send with oder Enermax PSU's. It will never happen but we would love to see a whole PSU braided in this stuff.
As mentioned before the cable come in a nice cloth bag which will help you keep them all together and easier to find, there are plenty of extra cables, and the PCI-E cables are dual feed meaning one connection into the PSU but it has 2 connectors on the end. This can actually make things ~much~ easier to keep your rig looking super clean and tidy.
The quality of the braid is neither good or bad, its generically acceptable, we would hazzard a guess if you have bought this PSU that aesthetics have not been on the top of your list of buying points anyways.