OCZ EvoStream 600w Modular PSU
Published: 30th October 2006 | Source: OCZ | Price: |Conclusion
Having never had the opportunity to test OCZ ModStream unit, it makes my job a little harder when trying to decide if the EvoStream unit is a suitable successor. The EvoStream is certainly one sexy looking power supply, and being a big fan of the electroplated finish the EvoStream certainly won my heart in the looks department.
The modular cabling system is not without it's flaws - namely the ability to plug PCI-E cables into SATA connectors on the unit and visa-versa, and people not observing the EvoStream's manual may run into problems. This is a shame considering that the cables on the unit look simply awesome and are shielded from interference by the meshed metal sleeving.
I was pleasantly surprised by the voltage stability results of the EvoStream, managing to keep all rails well within ATX specification and most under 0.10v fluctuation. During the testing the unit also managed 77% efficiency which is 2% above the efficiency rating given by OCZ but still a little lower than most other power supplies on the market at the moment.
• Sexy looking electroplated finish.
• Fully modular system with UV reactive cables.
• All cables shielded from interference.
• Good voltage stability.
• Very well packaged.
• Efficiency not as high as other recent PSU's on the market.
• May be too noisy for some of us.
• Ability to plug cables into incorrect connectors on PSU.
• Over priced compared to other units in its range.
Thanks to OCZ for providing this unit for review.
Discuss this review in our forums.