be quiet! Dark Power Pro 850w ATX PSU
Earlier this year be quiet! were kind enough to send us their 650w PSU in for testing. Being a fairly new contender in the UK PSU market, we were extremely impressed by both the look, package and performance of the unit. As a result the unit was rightfully awarded Overclock3D's Editors Choice followed by many highly acclaimed awards from other sites around the globe.
Since then be quiet! has introduced several new models to the Dark Power Pro range including the beefy 1200w version covered in our recent round-up and a slightly more affordable 850w version that we're going to be taking a look at today. Here's what be quiet! have to say about their latest power house:
Dark Power Pro is the high-quality power supply for perfectionists: powerful due to its highly-developed technology and extremely high degree of efficiency - unique in terms of service and quality.
With its cable management system (23 cables), every user is ideally set up for the future. ECASO thermal technology protects the PC components from overheating and guarantees a long service life. The special be quiet! fan technology plays a decisive role in ensuring that the award-winning brand runs quietly.
Dark Power Pro is also a big winner in a small package - it fits into any standard case.
Top level convenience, top level performance, top level quietness. Dark Power Pro provides everything you expect from a first class device.
First Class Technology
· Powerful, with 850 Watt
· Top quality components
· ECASO thermal technology preserves and protects components, and controls up to 4 case fans connected to the power adapter
· Only small amount of heat development due to extremely high efficiency of up to 88%
· Exceptionally stable due to 6 12V cables assigned to the components
· Extremely quiet due to be quiet! fan technology
First Class Connectivity
· Future-proof cable management with the highest possible degree of compatibility with all mainboards and graphic cards
· 23 cable sets, of which 21 are removable
· 4 x PCIe 6+2-pin
· EPS 6-pin server board adapter
· No adapter needed. Non-interchangeable due to intelligent connection concept
First Class Service
· 3 year full guarantee and therefore 1 year more than the legal requirement
· Service hotline +49 40 736 76 86 - 44 (English speaking)
· Email Support [email protected]
At a glance, the specifications list for the Dark Power Pro 650w and 850w looks like a carbon copy barring the 200w power difference. However on closer inspection we can see that the 850w unit has been given an upgrade in the modular cabling department from 18 cables (seen on the 650w) up to 23. Part of this is thanks to the much needed increase from two PCI-E connectors up to four which is a neccessity for those of us running high-end GPU's.
+12V1: 20A, +12V2: 20A, +12V3: 20A, +12V4: 20A, +12V5: 20A, +12V6: 20A
+5VSB: 4A (peak 5A)
A quick look at the tech specs on be quiet!'s website reveals the distribution of power around the unit. As we can see from above the unit features a total of six +12v rails capable of delivering 20 amps each, with a maximum load across all rails of 68amps. This is an increase of 16amps over the 650w version with an extra two +12v rails splitting the load. The +3.3v and +5v rails remain the same as the 650w unit, with 26amps and 30amps respectively.
Likewise, all other specifications remain the same including the quoted 88% efficiency levels which we'll be putting to the test later on in the review.