Cooler Master MM830 24000 DPI Mouse Review

Introduction and Technical Specifications

Cooler Master MM830 24000 DPI Mouse Review

Introduction

Cooler Master has been hard at work revising their peripheral range. If you were with us earlier you'll have read our review of their new flagship keyboard, the MK850 AIMPAD. We found it to be a hugely attractive product with great attention to detail and powerful features wrapped up in some excellent build quality and ease of use.

It isn't just their keyboard range that has seen a new model at the very top of the range, as their mice have a new addition in the form of today's review, the MM830.

A quick glance at the image that sits at the top of the page should give you a clue as to the the type of quality components that Cooler Master has introduced with the MM830. There is the now standard RGB lighting, as well as an OLED display that can show a huge variety of information, and something that combines the game pads we're all familiar with and the needs of the multi-button MOBA and RPG crowd with a D-Pad where the side buttons normally are.

However, we know a mouse is only as good as its accuracy and the Cooler Master MM830 is equipped with Pixart sensor supporting up to 24000 DPI. If pinpoint accuracy is the yardstick by which a mouse can be judged then, on paper at least, the MM830 should have a leg up on the competition. Does it in reality though? That's what we're here to find out.

Technical Specifications

Cooler Master MM830 24000 DPI Mouse Review  

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next»

Most Recent Comments

07-03-2019, 07:00:01

Peace
Who needs 24k DPI? Serious question as I'm no specialist when it comes to mice, but from my understanding: the higher the DPI = the faster your cursor moves.
So with 24k DPI: 1cm of movement ~ cursor moves from the left corner to the right on a dual 1080p screen setup...


My MX518 was set to 800 DPI and I don't actually know what my current G400's settings are, but my aim is quite on point in shooters and my movements aren't huge/long at all. So I don't understand the need for such high DPI numbers. If anything, you're getting WAY more inaccurate, although you have to move less to spin around in games. I always say that when it comes to keyboards and mice, it's a decision purely based on what you're used to.


So PLEASE, can someone enlighten me? My "knowledge" can't be correct, because if it was, these products wouldn't exist, right?Quote

07-03-2019, 07:13:36

WYP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Ð View Post
Who needs 24k DPI? Serious question as I'm no specialist when it comes to mice, but from my understanding: the higher the DPI = the faster your cursor moves.
So with 24k DPI: 1cm of movement ~ cursor moves from the left corner to the right on a dual 1080p screen setup...


My MX518 was set to 800 DPI and I don't actually know what my current G400's settings are, but my aim is quite on point in shooters and my movements aren't huge/long at all. So I don't understand the need for such high DPI numbers. If anything, you're getting WAY more inaccurate, although you have to move less to spin around in games. I always say that when it comes to keyboards and mice, it's a decision purely based on what you're used to.


So PLEASE, can someone enlighten me? My "knowledge" can't be correct, because if it was, these products wouldn't exist, right?
The simple answer is high screen resolutions. 4K screens are pretty big, and higher DPIs can be handy if you have a multi-screen 1440p setup like myself. It also depends on how sensitive you want your mouse.

My mouse is 12000 dpi and I use it for my dual 1440p (+1x 1080p up top) screen setup. I don't really feel the need to go higher than that, but I wouldn't want to go much lower.

As far as gaming goes, the ability to do a quick 180 turn is helpful in some competitive shooters. It really depends how much you care about factors like that.Quote

07-03-2019, 07:50:46

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
The simple answer is high screen resolutions. 4K screens are pretty big, and higher DPIs can be handy if you have a multi-screen 1440p setup like myself. It also depends on how sensitive you want your mouse.

My mouse is 12000 dpi and I use it for my dual 1440p (+1x 1080p up top) screen setup. I don't really feel the need to go higher than that, but I wouldn't want to go much lower.

As far as gaming goes, the ability to do a quick 180 turn is helpful in some competitive shooters. It really depends how much you care about factors like that.
As always: quick and comprehensive! Thanks for that! I've never left the realms of 1080p, but I do see this being the major factor. So with higher resolutions you have to set a higher DPI value if you want to keep your muscle memory - if we keep it gaming related. Makes sense now.Quote

07-03-2019, 08:03:37

looz
If you play any shooter at 24k effective DPI you're an absolute madman. Quote

07-03-2019, 08:51:47

WYP
Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
If you play any shooter at 24k effective DPI you're an absolute madman.
Yeah, I don't think I would ever get used to it. I'm not a competitive gamer though. give me a good story or a strategy game where I can make my own (Civ, Total War, Sins of a Solar Empire etc). They don't need insane DPIs.Quote
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.