Microsoft Add Popular Internet Functions to Xbox 360
Tomorrow Microsoft are releasing a mandatory update to the Xbox 360 which will occur automatically when you turn your 360 from any time after the 17th.
The new update brings many of the internets most popular sites and functions direct to your console. Unfortunately for those of us who don't play online much, most of the updates are based around Gold Memberships. However, here are the highlights :
- Stream your favourite tunes. Now, if you have Gold membership, you can create your own radio stations with Last.fm on your Xbox 360. You can explore and discover new music and artists from a library of more than 3.5 million songs. Skip, ‘ban’, or ‘love’ tracks to tailor the radio station to your taste and then just turn up the volume!
- Twitter Away. Gold members can stay connected to friends, family and followers by reading and posting ‘Tweets’ on the Twitter service using your Xbox 360 and Xbox LIVE*. You can quickly and easily read, reply, and post updates from the comfort of your living room.
- Friends on Facebook. Facebook and Xbox LIVE join forces to connect you with your friends as you interact with the largest entertainment and gaming network on TV*. If you’ve got Gold membership you can share real-time status updates and photos with your friends on Facebook, or share your favourite gaming moments right from your television.
- Stream Movies. Zune comes to Xbox LIVE - delivering instant-on HD in full 1080p streaming video direct to your Xbox 360 console. Choose to watch the movies you want, when you want, with instant-on HD streaming video** and 5.1 surround sound with no downloads and no delays.
- Music Games Add-ons. With the Music Game Store on Xbox LIVE, you’ll now find all your favourite music game add-ons for Lips, Rock Band, and Guitar Hero in one place.
Microsoft definitely seem to be pushing the 360 as a one-stop shop for your social needs, instead of purely a games console.
Read the Xbox article here
Discuss this in our forums here