'

Lenovo reveals the "World's First Foldable PC"

Expect availability of retail units in early 2020

Lenovo reveals the

Lenovo reveals the "World's First Foldable PC"

Lenovo has revealed to the world its first foldable PC, a ThinkPad device which ships with a flexible OLED panel that offers a 13.3-inch size when fully extended or a 9.6-inch screen in "laptop mode", where the bottom half of the screen becomes a touch-sensitive keyboard. 

The OLED screen is made by LG and the device supports a stylus and Bluetooth keyboards. Lenovo has also confirmed that the system uses an Intel processor but hasn't revealed the exact model. It is likely that this system will ship with a different, newer processor when it releases in early 2020.  

While this seems like a strange laptop, tablet hybrid, Lenovo has assured us that this is a fully fledged Windows 10 PC, though the aforementioned Intel processor should already indicate that. This isn't a Windows 10 on ARM PC, this is full fat x86. 

With its collapsible form factor, Lenovo's Folding Thinkpad will enable users to easily transport their system, taking up much less space than a standard notebook, even when combined with a portable keyboard. 

 

You can join the discussion on Lenovo showcasing the world's first folding laptop on the OC3D Forums

«Prev 1 Next»

Most Recent Comments

14-05-2019, 17:59:53

NeverBackDown
So is a keyboard less PC a PC or a tablet?
It's a tablet..
It's also useless. It's double the screen area and it's quadruple the chance of it breaking from wear and drops.Quote

14-05-2019, 19:55:53

WYP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
So is a keyboard less PC a PC or a tablet?
It's a tablet..
It's also useless. It's double the screen area and it's quadruple the chance of it breaking from wear and drops.
If you set it up in the right way the bottom will turn into a keyboard. The point is that is it highly configurable. Seems like a very handy piece of kit.Quote

14-05-2019, 20:57:16

NeverBackDown
Only watched the video, figured it would have everything you said, it did not.
Still, a touch keyboard is not something that works well on laptops from experience. Even though this is in a better placement at the bottom, it's still not the same as a keyboard. It might be totally fine but until using it I wager it wouldn't be that great for extended periods of time.Quote

15-05-2019, 02:01:31

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Only watched the video, figured it would have everything you said, it did not.
Still, a touch keyboard is not something that works well on laptops from experience. Even though this is in a better placement at the bottom, it's still not the same as a keyboard. It might be totally fine but until using it I wager it wouldn't be that great for extended periods of time.
The haptics are simply missing. This seems like a small point, but typing without haptics is very hard.


It looks kinda cool, but they'll also have to cram a better battery in there to support the bigger screen.Quote

15-05-2019, 02:31:26

NeverBackDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Ð View Post
The haptics are simply missing. This seems like a small point, but typing without haptics is very hard.


It looks kinda cool, but they'll also have to cram a better battery in there to support the bigger screen.
Ah yes that's what it is! Haptics really do make a difference. That and my fat thumbs always touch multiple keys on a touch screen, though it shouldn't be a problem for a screen this large.Quote
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.