'

Stardock extents their technology and gaming partnership with AMD

Vulkan is coming!

Stardock extents their technology and gaming partnership with AMD

Stardock extents their technology and gaming partnership with AMD

Stardock Entertainment and AMD have confirmed that they have extended their technology and gaming partnership, revealing that Stardock will optimise Star Control: Origins for AMD Ryzen/Radeon products alongside plans to support AMD's FreeSync 2 technology. 

In addition to this, Stardock has confirmed their plans to update Star Control to support the Vulkan API after launch, promising closer to the metal optimisation potential, which may increase the game's performance on Radeon-powered PCs. 

This announcement builds upon the relationship that AMD forged with Stardock when creating Ashes of the Singularity, the poster child of modern graphics APIs, acting as one of the industry's first DirectX 12 benchmarks. 

In Star Control: Origins, players explore the galaxy inside one of humanity's first interstellar ships, forging alliances before facing a threat which promises to exterminate humanity as it reaches towards the stars. Players will interact with alien races, explore the universe, design and build ships, uncover relics and precursor artefacts and battle against hostile races. 

Right now, Star Control: Origins is available as part of AMD's "Raise the Game" bundle, which will give copies of Strange Brigade, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and Star Control: Origins to purchasers of Radeon RX 570, RX 580, RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64 graphics cards for a limited time. 

Stardock extents their technology and gaming partnership with AMD  
Star Control: Origins will release on Windows/PC on September 20th. 

You can join the discussion on Stardock extending their gaming and technology partnership with AMD on the OC3D Forums

«Prev 1 Next»

Most Recent Comments

28-08-2018, 18:18:27

TheF34RChannel
Why would you, as a developer, want to sign with the lesser of two companies and one that's so far behind and has nothing high end to offer that it may as well be in a different universe?!

And wait, AC: Odyssey is an AMD title? UghQuote

28-08-2018, 18:40:54

WYP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
Why would you, as a developer, want to sign with the lesser of two companies and one that's so far behind and has nothing high end to offer that it may as well be in a different universe?!

And wait, AC: Odyssey is an AMD title? Ugh
Well, the next Xbox and PlayStation are likely to be powered by AMD Ryzen and Radeon technology. Learning how to optimise for this hardware will no doubt prove useful in the future. That is my theory behind Ubisoft's partnership with AMD.

Also, AC Origins was a terrible CPU hog, hopefully AMD can help them sort that out for Odessey's PC version.Quote

28-08-2018, 18:59:24

TheF34RChannel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Well, the next Xbox and PlayStation are likely to be powered by AMD Ryzen and Radeon technology. Learning how to optimise for this hardware will no doubt prove useful in the future. That is my theory behind Ubisoft's partnership with AMD.

Also, AC Origins was a terrible CPU hog, hopefully AMD can help them sort that out for Odessey's PC version.
Okay fair enough.

As to AC: such a shame we'll be missing out on some of the nicer visual features because of this partnership. Ubi is in bed with AMD often these days.Quote

28-08-2018, 19:08:01

WYP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
Okay fair enough.

As to AC: such a shame we'll be missing out on some of the nicer visual features because of this partnership. Ubi is in bed with AMD often these days.
I wouldn't say that it will prevent the game from looking pretty. After all, Far Cry 5 was an AMD optimised game and it looks great.

The Assassin's Creed series is also well known for featuring insane graphics settings that are pretty much not designed for current-generation hardware. Playing Unity at its highest settings comes to mind, this practice will no doubt continue.Quote

28-08-2018, 19:33:46

TheF34RChannel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
I wouldn't say that it will prevent the game from looking pretty. After all, Far Cry 5 was an AMD optimised game and it looks great.

The Assassin's Creed series is also well known for featuring insane graphics settings that are pretty much not designed for current-generation hardware. Playing Unity at its highest settings comes to mind, this practice will no doubt continue.
Oh absolutely, yet I cannot help but feel it can look better with green team stuff. I do notice the ubi trend as they shift more titles to AMD and I wonder why - it cannot be for consoles only.Quote
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.