'

It looks like Huawei plans to enter the GPU market this year

Can Huawei take out Nvidia's Tesla V100

It looks like Huawei plans to enter the GPU market this year

It looks like Huawei plans to enter the GPU market this year

Sources over at The Elec have claimed that Huawei plans to target Huawei within the server GPU market, creating a discrete graphics chip that's designed for Cloud and AI applications. 

This graphics card is known as the Ascend 910, and it claims to be the world's fastest AI processor, promising 256 TeraFLOPs of half-precision floating-point performance and 512 TeraFLOPS of INT8 performance at a planned 310W TDP. 

Huawei's silicon is built using TSMC's 7nm+ (N7+) manufacturing process, giving it one step ahead of Nvidia's 12nm Tesla V100 series graphics cards. In terms of compute performance, Huawei also offers a theoretical 2x speed advantage. That said, it is probably that Nvidia's TFLOPS are worth a lot more than Huawei's TFLOPS. 

By 2022, China hopes to replace all foreign hardware within its government institutions, creating the need for companies like Huawei to develop home-grown graphics solutions for use within China. These chips may not become available outside of China, especially if they turn out to be less powerful than competing offerings from Nvidia, AMD and Intel. 

Recent reports have also claimed that the US government is attempting to black Huawei's access to TSMC, preventing them from using the company's cutting-edge lithography technology, a factor which could kill off the Ascend 910, at least for now. This would move Huawei's fabrication to Samsung or China's own fabs at SMIC. 

If TSMC were to cut Hauwei off, companies like AMD, Nvidia and Apple and others are likely to fill in TSMC's gap in demand, thanks to the high demand for 7nm silicon fabrication. 
   

It looks like Huawei plans to enter the GPU market this year  

You can join the discussion on Huawei's Ascend 910 graphics card on the OC3D Forums

«Prev 1 Next»

Most Recent Comments

14-04-2020, 05:03:14

Warchild
Well well well... How did this manage to escape me, considering I work with Huawei almost daily.

Sneaky! Quote

14-04-2020, 08:06:14

SilentMarket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Well well well... How did this manage to escape me, considering I work with Huawei almost daily.

Sneaky!
Another Huawei market gimmick. It has nothing hardcore. Huawei is just a bunch of code monkeys optimizing software and think they are doing hardware stuff. Say goodbye to the old days when it had some routers that's actually good but not the best.
And its gimmick 5G is such a e showQuote

14-04-2020, 08:32:23

AlienALX
It's not a gimmick. And it's not for us.

The U.S has banned China from using any of AMD or Intel's CPUs in their govt computers. This includes all of Nvidia's industry stuff. You can see more about it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIgBsz1MduI

There is a video before that. I would watch it, even though he's boring AF.

Basically China need to develop their own stuff to use for the military etc. They tried to license a part of AMD but the U.S wised up and put a stop to it.

As thus they need CPUs and GPUs of their own. Not for gaming, they can still use AMD etc for that.

WC - it won't affect you is why. It has nothing to do with anything but industry in China.Quote

14-04-2020, 08:35:07

g0ggles1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It's not a gimmick. And it's not for us.

The U.S has banned China from using any of AMD or Intel's CPUs in their govt computers. This includes all of Nvidia's industry stuff. You can see more about it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIgBsz1MduI

There is a video before that. I would watch it, even though he's boring AF.

Basically China need to develop their own stuff to use for the military etc. They tried to license a part of AMD but the U.S wised up and put a stop to it.

As thus they need CPUs and GPUs of their own. Not for gaming, they can still use AMD etc for that.

WC - it won't affect you is why. It has nothing to do with anything but industry in China.
I don't know why anyone would want to either. It'll contain more backdoors than our current ones do.Quote

14-04-2020, 08:36:23

AlienALX
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
I don't know why anyone would want to either. It'll contain more backdoors than our current ones do.
It's totally not for that at all.

It even states so in one of Huawei's articles.Quote
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.