Scan 3XS Vengeance GTX680 Z68 OC System Review

AIDA64

Scan 3XS Vengeance Z68 OC System Review

AIDA64

Obviously the i7-2700K is only a quad-core so the LGA2011 based processors spank it fairly heavily. However despite giving up 300MHz against our 2500K and 2600K, the overclock on the i7-2700K in the 3XS really runs them close.

 

Memory testing is even more impressive. The i7-3930K has quad-channel Corsair GTX8 memory yet the combination of Z68 motherboard and Corsair Vengeance RAM still out-performs it.

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next»

Most Recent Comments

22-03-2012, 19:33:58

tinytomlogan


In need of bringing your system up to day and fancy a GTX680 based behemoth? We take a look at the Scan 3XS Vengeance Z68 OC which has all you need.

Continue Reading

22-03-2012, 20:28:56

MutleyUK
A good quality system but I would expect a more powerful Cpu Cooler, Say a H100 and a PSU of at least 750 watts

22-03-2012, 21:06:17

S_I_N
actuallythe 650 is more than enough to power the given parts. It doesn't allow for much headroom but for a pre-built system this looks to be very very decent.

22-03-2012, 21:14:48

VonBlade
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutleyUK View Post

A good quality system but I would expect a more powerful Cpu Cooler, Say a H100 and a PSU of at least 750 watts
The CPU cooler is plenty powerful enough even with this big overclock. Equally the power draw of the GTX680 is so low that 650W is also more than you need.

Sure you couldn't go SLI without the upgrade, but if you're planning on that then you can configure it before purchase.

22-03-2012, 22:31:29

SPS
The cable management on the back is amazing but the cables on the front could be put round the back for a tighter look IMO; however, compared to most pre-built systems I have seen, this is one of the best for cable management.

23-03-2012, 02:26:02

d6bmg
At first I was stocked to see 650Watt PSU, abut after reading whole review, I would say, not bad.

23-03-2012, 06:27:08

MutleyUK
I know 650watts is adequate chaps, what I'm saying is for the price I would wish for some headroom

23-03-2012, 06:37:51

Rastalovich
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutleyUK View Post

I know 650watts is adequate chaps, what I'm saying is for the price I would wish for some headroom
I saw a recommendation on the NewEgg details list for one of the 680 cards that said 500w psu.

Officially I don't know if that's correct, but obviously they'd be thinking of stock running rigs.

23-03-2012, 08:56:31

marsey99
guys this gpu core was meant to be the 660 core and as such is only a low draw part so it doesnt need a monster psu, unlike the gk110 core which is coming later in the year, hat will dull the lights in the house

VB 10/10 for presentation?

really?

cables all tied down on the front equals a perfect score on presentation?

sorry dude but no.



"The Obsidian 650D definitely helps as there are so many places to tuck cables away, but even still we just can't get over how neat and tidy everything is."

so why no tuck those away?

8/10 in any rate my build thread for that alone.

23-03-2012, 12:42:37

SPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsey99 View Post

guys this gpu core was meant to be the 660 core and as such is only a low draw part so it doesnt need a monster psu, unlike the gk110 core which is coming later in the year, hat will dull the lights in the house

VB 10/10 for presentation?

really?

cables all tied down on the front equals a perfect score on presentation?

sorry dude but no.

"The Obsidian 650D definitely helps as there are so many places to tuck cables away, but even still we just can't get over how neat and tidy everything is."

so why no tuck those away?

8/10 in any rate my build thread for that alone.
I would have to agree

23-03-2012, 13:01:47

mArTyN
Nice one Scan .A well turned out rig. I have dealt with them numorous times. This sort of quality is just what I personally would expect from them (their customer relations reflect this...unlike a certain retailer I can think of !)

23-03-2012, 13:09:35

Daewin
Seeing the system needing a 1.44vCore leads me to believe that they haven't really tested that for a long amount of time. After all, 1.4 is the highest you should go on a SB.

I know several people that have had their CPU's degrading when they've pushed over 1.4v over time.

/D

23-03-2012, 15:04:29

VonBlade
I appreciate that the cables could be routed round the back and there are obviously areas in which it could be tweaked. However the presentation score takes into account more than just the pure looks of it, but also cooling, noise, how it compares relative to other products available in the price-range and similar things.

It's not just about meeting the demands of enthusiasts who'll spend a week braiding and routing, but relative to the needs and expectations of somebody who will buy a pre-built system. And we can't give halves.

24-03-2012, 05:35:08

alfredthetomato
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewin View Post

Seeing the system needing a 1.44vCore leads me to believe that they haven't really tested that for a long amount of time. After all, 1.4 is the highest you should go on a SB.

I know several people that have had their CPU's degrading when they've pushed over 1.4v over time.

/D
This would be true, which leads me to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonBlade View Post

It's not just about meeting the demands of enthusiasts who'll spend a week braiding and routing, but relative to the needs and expectations of somebody who will buy a pre-built system. And we can't give halves.
I'm sure a degrading CPU would not be the needs nor the expectations of people buying this system.

I can't imagine they'd be terribly happy if they just got BSODs one day and didn't know what was wrong with it.

Good review as usual though.

24-03-2012, 09:03:09

marsey99
VB i could understand your points if this was a more, well budget machine but this is the best part of 1500 this system and for that money i would expect them to take that kind of care you speak of when building it yes.

more so when oc3d have reviewed cheaper systems which was built to a much higher standard than this is.

24-03-2012, 21:16:19

UkGouki
it looks pretty sweet to me wish i had the cash maybe oneday...

25-03-2012, 10:11:39

yassarikhan786
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsey99 View Post

VB i could understand your points if this was a more, well budget machine but this is the best part of 1500 this system and for that money i would expect them to take that kind of care you speak of when building it yes.

more so when oc3d have reviewed cheaper systems which was built to a much higher standard than this is.
Yup, I agree. For that cost I would expect a little bit better cable management. Nonetheless a very nice review VB

25-03-2012, 11:47:36

marsey99
yes, the review is as good as ever i just cant get my head around the scores.

i mean i think this is very well priced for the kit you get and should score higher than 7 as i dont think you can spec a system for this price but also what i said above on the presentation.

26-03-2012, 14:48:25

dukky
Edit: Just realised that the price at the top of the review is not including VAT so by building yourself you'd save ~290

I have to agree with others in that the score for the price is too low, I just put all the parts together (as close as I could, same ram and optical drive wasn't on the list) on pcpartpicker (which is a site that grabs the best prices from many sites):

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/66TU

Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/66TU/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (251.98 @ Amazon UK)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (69.36 @ Scan.co.uk)

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (120.99 @ Dabs)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4G DDR3-1600 Memory (82.99 @ Scan.co.uk)

Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (107.94 @ Scan.co.uk)

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (92.64 @ Scan.co.uk)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (409.99 @ Dabs)

Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case (129.99 @ Dabs)

Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (74.98 @ Dabs)

Optical Drive: Sony BD-5750H Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (65.39 @ Scan.co.uk)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (69.89 @ Ebuyer)

Total: 1476.14

(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

(Generated 2012-03-26 19:43 BST+0100)


This is also not including the sound card (~20) which means unless you already have a copy of windows or some of the other parts you can use then it would be cheaper to buy it from scan than to build it yourself.

26-03-2012, 18:25:31

Solidarity
I can't help but admire that 8pin

06-04-2012, 15:33:03

MaXiMiZe
Awesome system except for price. (tells himself one day son one day...)
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.