Icy Box IB-MP301 HDD Media Player
Published: 12th July 2007 | Source: Icy Box | Price: |
With its support for over 15 different file formats including music and images, there's no doubting that the Icy Box IB-MP301 Media Player fills a hole in the market where people want to play downloaded or converted movies and music on their existing TV/Audio systems without the need for a large and expensive HTPC setup.
Transferring files to the device is a breeze thanks to its USB2 connection and automatic detection by Windows as a standard hard disk. The only problems we encountered were largely down to Windows not wanting to format the device any larger than 32GB, but a quick email to Raidsonic provided us with a simple solution.
Due to hit the market with a RRP of around £55, the IB-MP301 certainly impressed us with it's decent quality audio and video playback, but I cant help thinking how much more appeal the device would have if it had the ability to record - making it a convenient and cost effective replacement for the ageing video recorder.
• Cost effective alternative to purchasing a HTPC setup for playing downloaded media.
• Surprisingly good quality video and audio playback.
• Support for hard disks up to 500gb, allowing plenty of space for entire DVD collections.
• Support for over 15 different formats including displaying JPEG images.
• Easy to transfer files. Device appears in Windows as a standard hard disk.
• Formatting disks greater than 32gb could be made easier.
• No 'record' function. Being able to record from the TV to MPEG would add a whole new level of usefulness to the device.
• No digital outputs for improved quality.
Thanks to Raidsonic for providing this product for review. Discuss this review in our forums.