Corsair HX850W (850w) ATX PSU

Introduction & Specs

Introduction & Specs
 
Corsair LogoA little over a month ago Corsair announced two new PSU's to join their extremely popular HX line-up. The HX750 and HX850 are two models designed to bridge the rather large gap between the original HX620W unit released in 2006 and the HX1000W released almost two years later. As anyone who's looked into purchasing a PSU recently will tell you, both of these PSU's are widely regarded as being the best in their class, with Corsair not only using only the best factories to build the units, but also specifying upgraded components and various other modifications to improve their performance. In fact, in the case of the HX1000W, Corsair not only picked one of the best OEM's in the industry (Channel Well Technology), but also conservatively labelled the units 1200w output as 1000w just to ensure flawless results.
 
So today we've been given the pleasure of being one of the first sites in the UK to check out the HX850W. Once again both the HX750W and HX850W models are built by CWT, but in a recent conversation with Corsair they confirmed to us that these units are no 'off the shelf' models. They are instead a completely custom design and specification, built after several months of co-operation between Corsair and CWT. However, before I get ahead of myself and start blurting out all of the juicy details let's check out the specs listed on Corsair's website:
 
- Guaranteed to sustain its full rated wattage at an ambient temperature of 50°C
- Up to 90% energy-efficiency under real-world load conditions*
- Single +12V rail design providing up to 70A
- Multi-GPU ready
- 105°C solid state capacitors
- Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) with PF value of 0.99
- Supports ATX12V 2.3 and EPS12V 2.91 standards. Backwards compatible with ATX12V 2.01
- Auto switching circuitry for universal AC input from 90-264V
- Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection and Short Circuit Protection provide complete component safety
- Dimensions: 150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 180mm(L)
- MTBF: 100,000 hours - Safety Approvals: UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TÜV, CCC, C-tick  
 
(Queue Slobber)....Yes, if the specs are anything to go by then the HX850W is certainly going to shape up to be one drool-worthy unit. We have 105c solid state caps, a single +12v rail rated at 70 amps and up to 90% efficiency. Basically everything neccesary to certify the HX850W as PSU porn. Additionally, while I was bashing away at this page Corsair also received word that the HX850W had met 80PLUS Gold Certification. Stellar stuff.
 
However, I'm not going to let these mere words seduce me. After all the proof of a PSU is in the testing. So let's move swiftly on to the next page for a closer look.
«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next»

Most Recent Comments

25-06-2009, 07:38:09

JN
"Both the Corsair HX620W and HX1000W PSU's were massive hits among enthusiasts, but how does the recently released HX850W perform? Today we find out."

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...183437159s.jpg

Corsair HX850W (850w) ATX PSU

25-06-2009, 07:40:46

tinytomlogan
Love the Corsair PSU's, always have and here is another wicked reason too <3

25-06-2009, 08:19:08

uchihas
Oh my god! That's simply amazing! What an amazing efficiency and stability, it seems that Corsair knows how to improve even more the things that are really good.

25-06-2009, 08:38:52

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='uchihas'
Oh my god! That's simply amazing! What an amazing efficiency and stability, it seems that Corsair knows how to improve even more the things that are really good.
Yep. Right at this moment in time I would say that this is the best PSU you can buy. Enermax Revolution85+ comes in a fairly close 2nd, but the HX850W really dominates.

25-06-2009, 08:41:48

monkey7
1kW off a 850W unit without it even blinking O.o That is one rock solid unit right there.

25-06-2009, 08:52:47

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='monkey7'
1kW off a 850W unit without it even blinking O.o That is one rock solid unit right there.
Yeah and 91A off a 12v rail rated at 70A! Anybody still into peltier cooling?

25-06-2009, 08:59:18

Ham
Here's an odd question, does it fit in the PSU bay of the dimas bench tables?

Ask because the kettle plug on my CM unit is situated very close to the edge, meaning it can't be used .

25-06-2009, 09:00:30

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ham'
Here's an odd question, does it fit in the PSU bay of the dimas bench tables?

Ask because the kettle plug on my CM unit is situated very close to the edge, meaning it can't be used .
feels a fight brewing

25-06-2009, 09:06:58

Rastalovich
Heck of an impressive unit. Price is a little arguable, but tbh it's a quality purchase.

U have to hand it to Corsair when it comes to packaging their psus.

25-06-2009, 09:15:04

cl0ck_ed
why have the cost of psu's gone up so much??. a year ago the hx1000 was 140.

25-06-2009, 09:21:13

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='cl0ck_ed'
why have the cost of psu's gone up so much??. a year ago the hx1000 was 140.
Yeah they have all gone up recently. Not entirely sure why but it started happening abut 3 or so months back.

In the current market tho, 140 is actually very good for a decent 850w. I think the Enermax is closer to 180 which is mighy painful.

25-06-2009, 09:24:06

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ham'
Here's an odd question, does it fit in the PSU bay of the dimas bench tables?

Ask because the kettle plug on my CM unit is situated very close to the edge, meaning it can't be used .
Hmm not entirely sure as the kettle plug on the HX is also quite close to the edge. I'll give it a try ad let ya know.

25-06-2009, 09:59:50

Rastalovich
Companies used to have scaled templates on their sites for purposes like this, wonder if Corsair do ??

25-06-2009, 12:39:27

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='cl0ck_ed'
why have the cost of psu's gone up so much??. a year ago the hx1000 was 140.
Its because the is still worth lots less than it 'should' be against the $

27-06-2009, 09:48:02

Rastalovich
It's not quite how the UK economy works these days. Ever since the increase in customs control on imported items, especially from outside the EU - but alarmingly (in this "free trade" era) including the EU.

Their pricing considerations start with "what can we get away with charging" b4 they even think of US or EU prices. No thought what-so-ever of costing of production or shipping or anything logical that u might learn in economics.

The previous examples of supply and demand bringing about an equilibrium price are no longer applicable.

27-06-2009, 11:10:51

Wyshniukas
I like Corsair PSUs, have one, but those flat modular cables just doesn't go with me. Round ones would have been brilliant update on this PSU, in my opinion.

12-07-2009, 07:03:17

w3bbo
Sweet PSU...excellent review!

12-07-2009, 19:18:38

mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Hmm not entirely sure as the kettle plug on the HX is also quite close to the edge. I'll give it a try ad let ya know.
Any info on this. would be interesting to hear as i need to upgrade my screaming PSU.

13-07-2009, 03:46:31

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='mayhem'
Any info on this. would be interesting to hear as i need to upgrade my screaming PSU.
To be honest I'd totally forgot. I'll try and remember to dig the case out of the garage tonight and give it a whirl.

17-10-2009, 15:37:03

gorilazm
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
"Both the Corsair HX620W and HX1000W PSU's were massive hits among enthusiasts, but how does the recently released HX850W perform? Today we find out."
Few days ago purchase coolmaster 850 modular. i thought it will be quiet and many online test reviews say that, but the actual PSU make annoying noise like small transformer what make him louder then own cooler. can you,please, tell me is Corsair hx850w have any annoying cracking/bugnoise accept cooler. will you say it is really quite PSU.

25-10-2009, 15:10:58

e07
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='gorilazm'
Few days ago purchase coolmaster 850 modular. i thought it will be quiet and many online test reviews say that, but the actual PSU make annoying noise like small transformer what make him louder then own cooler. can you,please, tell me is Corsair hx850w have any annoying cracking/bugnoise accept cooler. will you say it is really quite PSU.
Have to say that I have being using the HX850w for nearly two months now and I am kinda sorry that I bought it. It is much louder that my last psu ( tagen turbojet 900 ).Then all I could hear were the hard drives. Can get on your nerves after a while but I am stuck with it as I sold my tagen.

25-10-2009, 16:21:46

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='e07'
Have to say that I have being using the HX850w for nearly two months now and I am kinda sorry that I bought it. It is much louder that my last psu ( tagen turbojet 900 ).Then all I could hear were the hard drives. Can get on your nerves after a while but I am stuck with it as I sold my tagen.
I find that really surprising. Are you sure your HX850w doesnt have a faulty fan? The Tagan Turbojets are named that way for a reason...they sound like an airplane taking off.

26-10-2009, 05:10:24

e07
The tagen for me was very quite.You could just about hear it when it was working hard but it had no anoying 'whine'. My HX850 on the other hand has an soft but noticable 'whine' that gets on my nerves. It just has a different sound that I dont like. But thats me and others may have no problem with it.

26-10-2009, 18:32:59

Stefan Payne
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
I find that really surprising. Are you sure your HX850w doesnt have a faulty fan? The Tagan Turbojets are named that way for a reason...they sound like an airplane taking off.
No, not neccissarily.

I've heard some complaints about the noise of the two new HX-Series Units.

Maybe you had the version with a Yate Loon fan and he had one with Ong Hua fan.

26-10-2009, 18:34:34

Bungral
My HX750 is lovely and quiet.. Only thing I can hear is my pump vibrating against the foam I have it on. Hmmm have to sort that out.

27-10-2009, 08:02:55

Nelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Bungral'
My HX750 is lovely and quiet.. Only thing I can hear is my pump vibrating against the foam I have it on. Hmmm have to sort that out.
I bought the HX750 just over a week ago, have to agree very quiet, I much prefer the cable connectors on these PSU's too - 7 year warranty which Scan will cover for you which is excellent.

28-10-2009, 22:22:07

bapetpe
That's great! That's quite a very informative post. Thanks for your share.

12-05-2010, 14:21:07

fredeb
I myself own a HX850W , runs cool and quiet - amazing PSU .

21-06-2010, 15:48:15

Kartoff
The best PSU ever made i think !!! If u have noises seems u can stop the fan and PSU dont overheat And also seems it can handle even more than 1084W if u do something with protections ;-) Really verry nice PSU !!! I have it a couple of monts and will buy it again
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.