OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 4Gb DDR2 Kit

Test Setup, Settings & Overclocking

Test Setup
 
To ensure that all reviews on Overclock3D are fair, consistent and unbiased, a standard set of hardware and software is used whenever possible during the comparative testing of two or more products. The configuration used in this review can be seen below:
 
 
OCZ ReaperX (PC2-6400) 4GB
Mushkin HP2-6400 (PC2-6400) 4GB
ProcessorIntel Core 2 Quad Q6600 "G0" 2.4GHz 2x4MB
MotherboardDFI Lanparty P35-T2R
Graphics Card  Sapphire Ultimate X1950 Pro 256mb PCI-E
Hard Disk Hitachi Deskstar 80GB 7K80 SATA2 7200RPM 8mb
CPU Cooling Stock Intel Aluminium Cooler
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (Latest Updates)
Graphics Drivers ATI Catalyst 7.4.44981
Motherboard Drivers Intel INF 8.300.1013
 
To guarantee a broad range of results, the following benchmark utilities will be used:

Synthetic Memory Subsystem
• Sisoft Sandra XII 2008c
• Lavalys Everest 4.0

File Compression & Encoding
• 7-Zip File Compression
• River Past ViMark

3D / Rendering Benchmarks
• Cinebench 10
• 3DMark05
• 3DMark06

3D Games
• Quake 4
• Bioshock
• F.E.A.R
 
 
Settings & Overclocking
 
As with all memory reviews on Overclock3D the ReaperX PC2-6400 modules were subjected to a series of benchmark tests under several different configurations. The configurations used tested the memory's ability to run at high frequencies with stock timings, high frequencies with loosened timings and also ensured that that the modules could run with 100% stability at their advertised speed, latency and voltage settings.
 
 
Stock Frequency & Timings
DDR2-800 / 4-4-3-15 / 2.1v
CPU-Z - Stock CPU-Z - Stock
 
We've already mentioned that OCZ only guarantee the ReaperX PC2-6400 kit to run at its advertised 4-4-3-15 timings on an Nvidia 680i based motherboard with EPP. This certainly seemed to be the case when we first placed the modules in our Intel P35 based DFI Lanparty board, attempted to boot into Windows and was welcomed by repeated BSOD's. No matter what settings we tried, we just couldn't get the modules stable.
 
However, a quick browse of the OCZ website revealed a link to their forums where there was extensive information and a guide on how to get the ReaperX kit running stable on a range of Intel P35 based boards. After changing the settings on our DFI P35-T3R to the ones suggested on the forum, the test PC booted into Windows flawlessly and passed several hours of Prime95 stability testing.
 
 
Highest Frequency @ Relaxed Timings
DDR2-1098 / 5-5-4-18 / 2.1v
CPU-Z - OC CPU-Z - OC
 
Overclocking the ReaperX on it's stock timings of 4-4-3-15 was't really much of a success on our Intel P35 based testing platform. This certainly didn't come as a surprise, as the modules are only really designed to run at CAS4 on Nvidia based chipsets. However, on loosening the timings to 5-5-4-18 the ReaperX kit showed us exactly what it was capable of by coming just shy of DDR2-1100. This is extremely good for a 4GB kit, and as we can see from the graph below; the Mushkin kit also used in this review couldn't even come close.
 
Overclock Results
 
Now that we've got the overclocking out of the way, let's see how the ReaperX sized up against the Mushkin kit in our benchmarks over on the next page...
«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next»

Most Recent Comments

16-01-2008, 15:28:54

JN
"Just when we thought that all the DDR2 reviews had dried up, OCZ comes and surprises us with their latest "ReaperX" 4GB kit."

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...132634762s.jpg

OCZ ReaperX PC2-6400 4Gb DDR2 Kit

16-01-2008, 15:45:14

Bungral
Quality review mate..

They just look so damn good and preform just as well.. 1100mhz!!

Is it just me or does the percentage at the end not show up??

Oh yeah one more thing... On the 3rd page when saying about what OCZ say the stock timings are on the RAM you say they are 4-4-3-12 when I think they are 4-4-3-15.. Correct me if I'm talking out of my arse though

16-01-2008, 15:55:57

FarFarAway
I bought these, boshed em in...no tweaking at all and straight to 990MHz. Not had time to fiddle but as you can see there's plenty of headroom

16-01-2008, 15:58:08

Bungral
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez'
I bought these, boshed em in...no tweaking at all and straight to 990MHz. Not had time to fiddle but as you can see there's plenty of headroom
Was gonna ask if these were the ones you got or if you had the higher ones.. 8800 or whatever it is.

16-01-2008, 15:59:08

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Bungral'
Quality review mate..

They just look so damn good and preform just as well.. 1100mhz!!

Is it just me or does the percentage at the end not show up??

Oh yeah one more thing... On the 3rd page when saying about what OCZ say the stock timings are on the RAM you say they are 4-4-3-12 when I think they are 4-4-3-15.. Correct me if I'm talking out of my arse though
Cheers. Twas a bit of a long day and I had all kinds of numbers flying thru my head :s

16-01-2008, 16:18:42

Luigi
quality review, wish i hadnt got my ballistix now, couldve got got 8gb of this and overclocks to similar frequency's...

16-01-2008, 16:33:55

Bungral
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Cheers. Twas a bit of a long day and I had all kinds of numbers flying thru my head :s
No problemo

16-01-2008, 17:20:47

Azreil_2
Nice Review , is this the same kit as the one from the xmas comp?

16-01-2008, 17:30:40

Mr. Smith
Jimbo,

My bank manager wants a word with you. He said, 'Mr. Smith, why are you spending money like it is going out of fashion?' I replied 'It's Jim's fault'... I gave him your number...

My ram arrives Friday!

16-01-2008, 17:33:50

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
Jimbo,

My bank manager wants a word with you. He said, 'Mr. Smith, why are you spending money like it is going out of fashion?' I replied 'It's Jim's fault'... I gave him your number...

My ram arrives Friday!
EEP! Time to move to the same bank as me then. Whenever my bank manager calls me, its from a dodgy telephone line in India. I cant understand him, so I hang up

Deffo check out that thread on OCZ forums btw mate...or you'll have problems hitting DDR3-1100.

16-01-2008, 17:39:22

Mr. Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
EEP! Time to move to the same bank as me then. Whenever my bank manager calls me, its from a dodgy telephone line in India. I cant understand him, so I hang up

Deffo check out that thread on OCZ forums btw mate...or you'll have problems hitting DDR3-1100.
Woah! I imagine I'll have huge problems hitting ddr3 1100 with ddr2 800 ram. That must be some informative thread

I might buy a few of these ddr2 kits, do the magic ddr3 conversion and sell them off at a profit!

16-01-2008, 17:40:42

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
Woah! I imagine I'll have huge problems hitting ddr3 1100 with ddr2 800 ram. That must be some informative thread

I might buy a few of these ddr2 kits, do the magic ddr3 conversion and sell them off at a profit!
You're pretty handy with a soldering iron right?

16-01-2008, 17:47:30

Mr. Smith
I'm bad a$$.

Right, I'm off to watch Sopranos so go suck a lemon!

17-01-2008, 02:43:33

OptimAdam
nice review had these for a while now. Any plans on comparing them against the 1066 version, to see the overclock difference?

17-01-2008, 09:42:20

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='OptimAdam'
nice review had these for a while now. Any plans on comparing them against the 1066 version, to see the overclock difference?
I'll see what I can do for ya mate

17-01-2008, 09:48:59

Harrythepot
hi nice review

i got a question to ask is this a 2 x 2GB pack or 2 x 1GB pack?

17-01-2008, 09:56:19

Ham
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Harrythepot'
hi nice review

i got a question to ask is this a 2 x 2GB pack or 2 x 1GB pack?
Its 2x2gb. Jim the nub has for some reason put 2gb kit in the thread title, but got it right everywhere else .

17-01-2008, 10:07:22

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ham'
Its 2x2gb. Jim the nub has for some reason put 2gb kit in the thread title, but got it right everywhere else .
EEEEP. Fixed

17-01-2008, 13:59:40

!TIMMY!
nice review! These look a rite good set of ram!

17-01-2008, 14:06:49

Luigi
apparently not so good if you have 2 sets....

17-01-2008, 17:11:18

FarFarAway
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='teknokid'
apparently not so good if you have 2 sets....
Pardon?

17-01-2008, 18:10:19

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez'
Pardon?
Think he means 8gb? But then thats to be expected TBH. If you're filling all slots, expect trouble

17-01-2008, 18:48:19

FarFarAway
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Think he means 8gb? But then thats to be expected TBH. If you're filling all slots, expect trouble
Ahh

And ye, has always been the way

18-01-2008, 08:53:09

Bungral
You got yours now Smithy?

18-01-2008, 09:25:52

Mr. Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Bungral'
You got yours now Smithy?
Ja.

Ordered Wed night, arrived Fri a.m... Good for 1000nhz without even trying!

18-01-2008, 11:35:39

Luigi
i meant because they dont fit, the coolers are too big for 8gb on most boards.

18-01-2008, 11:50:01

FarFarAway
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='teknokid'
i meant because they dont fit, the coolers are too big for 8gb on most boards.
I think some of the boards I've tested could accomodate them, I suppose it depends on board layout.

You will not need 8GB in anything but a server environment anyway

18-01-2008, 13:07:05

Mr. Smith
Just realised I have these @ 2.2v 1030mhz 5-5-5-15 rock solid...

Think that will be ok as they are only rated for 2.1v? Might have to set to 2.1v and see what I get...

18-01-2008, 13:17:12

Luigi
havent they got a 2.2v EVP?

18-01-2008, 13:20:48

FarFarAway
2.1 is the warranty

18-01-2008, 13:24:32

Luigi
oh does it not come with an EVP?

18-01-2008, 13:36:03

FarFarAway
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='teknokid'
oh does it not come with an EVP?
My bad, yes it does. Mind you, you could have read the specs on their website too

18-01-2008, 14:52:19

Bungral
2.2 should be alright on then with their sexy coolers.. +++++++ lifetime warranty anyway and they wouldn't know they had a lil more vs going through them.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.