Mushkin PC12800 6GB Ridgeback Review

Conclusion

Mushkin PC12800 6GB Ridgeback Review

Conclusion

Well it doesn't take a genius to work out the conclusion after that very comprehensive set of results.

Lookswise the Ridgeback is stunning decked out in its Firetruck Red. It really stands out from the crowd both on the shelf, and in your rig. It looked especially gorgeous within my Rampage III Extreme and was a lovely change from the black and similar monochrome heatsinks we find on RAM these days.

The height alone was almost enough to recommend it. So few high-performance RAM kits can fit underneath our NH-D14 CPU Cooler than to have a great looking one with a heatsink that performs clearly better than standard heatspreader was a joy.

Mushkin have really pulled out all the stops to get the timings down to the low CAS6 on this and it was reflected in the results. At 1600MHz the Corsair Dominator GT CAS8 Kit just couldn't keep pace whatsoever and the Muskin was edging close to the 2000MHz kits in some tests.

Overclocking though is where its star really shone brightly. Despite a little issue with our Asus board not picking the timings up correctly, a 10 second call to the engineer at Mushkin sorted that out and 2000MHz with a still tight CAS8 was a breeze.

Breeze is actually underselling it. It was a tornado. Although a couple of tests saw it run close, pretty much all our results showed the Mushkin Redline Ridgeback strolling off into the sunset whilst the others puffed and wheezed to the finish line.

So all in all we have a great looking, great performing 6GB kit that you can have, in your rig, for a mere £150. Can't do much better than that and therefore it's deserving of our Gold Award for combining excellent looks, excellent performance and great overclockability, for a great price.

    

Thanks to Mushkin for providing the Ridgeback kit for todays review. Discuss in our forums.

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next»

Most Recent Comments

05-10-2010, 20:54:55

tinytomlogan
We have got our sticky mitts on the first sample of Red Mushkin Ridgeback outside of the Mushkin factory. We just had to put it to the test.

Continue Reading

06-10-2010, 07:47:16

Taurus
The kit in stock on the Aria web site is black line. Do you know if Muskin are going release the red line with the ridgeback cooler as its not mentioned on the Muskin web site either only the Black line with the ridgeback cooler.

06-10-2010, 09:18:29

SnW
Nice review (as always) and "Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 998826" That must be Folding memory

06-10-2010, 09:18:55

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post

The kit in stock on the Aria web site is black line. Do you know if Muskin are going release the red line with the ridgeback cooler as its not mentioned on the Muskin web site either only the Black line with the ridgeback cooler.
As said in the review the Redline is a world exclusive we are the first people to have ever seen it. Its basically just a different heatsink but you might be in for a little wait before the Redline heatsinks actually start to appear dude

06-10-2010, 10:23:51

Warzone
"putting your cup of tea on it" xD

Oh and its always on the bottom for youtube videos descriptions however it did use to be the right of the video which is why they changed it to the bottom...people would always confused their left and right relative to the viewer:P

06-10-2010, 12:51:04

Th3rmal K1ng
I wish I could afford RAM that looks that cool.

See what I did there?

06-10-2010, 13:08:34

SnW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rmal K1ng View Post

I wish I could afford RAM that looks that cool.

See what I did there?
To be perfectly honest, No not at all

06-10-2010, 14:20:26

AMDFTW
me nither fella

06-10-2010, 14:32:54

Mr. Strawberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnW View Post

To be perfectly honest, No not at all
+1 on that aswell

06-10-2010, 14:51:30

Th3rmal K1ng
Runs cool, looks cool.

Wow, I'm lame.

06-10-2010, 15:51:53

silenthill
nice to see Mushkin coming back hard, I always was a fan of them back in the old days

10-10-2010, 05:29:14

Toxteth O'Grady
Interesting that your review shows [url=

DDR3 Mushkin Blackline

DDR3 Mushkin Essentials

DDR3 Mushkin Proline

DDR3 Mushkin Redline

DDR3 Mushkin Ridgeback

DDR3 Mushkin Silverline

05-11-2010, 12:00:40

Taurus
Just took delivery of some of this lovely stuff (super special at Aria Pc 135)whipped it in and its great running at 1600mhz with I7 920@4000ghz will try at 2000mhz and provide update.

05-11-2010, 12:02:00

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post

Just took delivery of some of this lovely stuff (super special at Aria Pc 135)whipped it in and its great running at 1600mhz with I7 920@4000ghz will try at 2000mhz and provide update.
Make sure you watch the video for this then dude so you get the timings and sub timings correct.

05-11-2010, 12:06:43

Taurus
Tom,

Thanks for the reminder have already looked at the video and taken a print screen of the settings so i get the numbers right!!

05-11-2010, 13:07:09

Taurus
tried to run at 2000mhz but system would'nt boot at very similar settings as review. Cant get cycletime of 98 neither 88 nor 100 works, and cant select zero for back to back CAS# delay so left at auto. I will try loosening the timings to 8-10-8-27 or 9-10-9-24, and provide further update.

M/B ASUS P6TD Deluxe

05-11-2010, 13:36:54

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post

tried to run at 2000mhz but system would'nt boot at very similar settings as review. Cant get cycletime of 98 neither 88 nor 100 works, and cant select zero for back to back CAS# delay so left at auto. I will try loosening the timings to 8-10-8-27 or 9-10-9-24, and provide further update.

M/B ASUS P6TD Deluxe
leave it on auto apart from the one I said specifically about setting to 8 matey cant remember what one exactly now but its in the review and the video.

05-11-2010, 16:56:52

Taurus
Tom,

Tried that at 2000mhz and windows started then crashed.

Looks like I have a problem with this set of ram as it crashes to blue screen if you play games (MOH online) I also run prime95 for anything from 2 to 4 mins either on all setting at auto, or 8.8.8.24 or 6.8.6.24, at 1600mhz tried 1.64v as my standard setting and also 1.66v (MB does not have 1.65v) and the same happens. Looks like i'll be sending it back to Aria PC????

05-11-2010, 17:19:42

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post

Tom,

Tried that at 2000mhz and windows started then crashed.

Looks like I have a problem with this set of ram as it crashes to blue screen if you play games (MOH online) I also run prime95 for anything from 2 to 4 mins either on all setting at auto, or 8.8.8.24 or 6.8.6.24, at 1600mhz tried 1.64v as my standard setting and also 1.66v (MB does not have 1.65v) and the same happens. Looks like i'll be sending it back to Aria PC????
It will be YOUR overclock dude Im affraid not the ram. The fact its crashing is because your OC is unstable and needs work.

You just need to put the time in Im affraid. deffo NOT the ram.

05-11-2010, 18:16:32

Taurus
I went back to my previous cpu oc of 3.7ghz and OCZ ram at 1866mhz, and stable as any thing prime95's ok and plays MOH ok!! I'll have another go over the weekend. Think I may need to up the cpu voltage from 1.275v to a higher figure. I will give it a go in small increments. I'll check out some of the other posts in the overclocking section for some more tips.

05-11-2010, 18:23:01

MushkinSean
Taurus,

The setting you were looking for is DRAM Read to Pre Time(TRTP) it should be manually set to 8 for memory frequencies over DDR3-1800.

From what you are describing I don't believe that is the issue however, sounds more likely that the Uncore is unstable.

05-11-2010, 18:27:17

lasher
Now thats service

05-11-2010, 18:35:53

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post

I went back to my previous cpu oc of 3.7ghz and OCZ ram at 1866mhz, and stable as any thing prime95's ok and plays MOH ok!! I'll have another go over the weekend. Think I may need to up the cpu voltage from 1.275v to a higher figure. I will give it a go in small increments. I'll check out some of the other posts in the overclocking section for some more tips.
What CPU do you have?

quick one - if the ram is at 1600 the uclk needs to be 3200 (twice the value) same with mem at 2000 the uclk needs to be 4000

ALSO make sure your tRTP is set to 8 as I said before, thats the crucial thing if you want to go to 2000.

If the ram is running at 1866 thats above the 1600 rated anyways so as we said its fine

You just need to fine tune now your overclocking.

05-11-2010, 20:56:15

Taurus
Thanks guys

CPU is an I7 920 Do stepping (OEM), stable at 3.7ghz with OCZ PC3-15000 running at 1866mhz so no OC on the memory

I'll re-install the Mushkin and give the settings above ago and let you know what happens.

06-11-2010, 05:38:56

Taurus
Guys,

Was working on this to stupid O'clock this morning and think I'm making head way so far have got CPU to 4ghz and ram at 1600mhx 6.8.6.24 stable. Will do some more work on this later today, as I want to get it really stable then try 2000mhz. Was a bit confused over uncore then found out that ASUS calls that QPI/DRAM, have set this to 1.35v at present with Ram at 1.64v.

Would like to say thanks again for help/pointers, its great to be able to get feed back so quick and from peple who know what they are talking about.

06-11-2010, 07:29:12

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post

Guys,

Was working on this to stupid O'clock this morning and think I'm making head way so far have got CPU to 4ghz and ram at 1600mhx 6.8.6.24 stable. Will do some more work on this later today, as I want to get it really stable then try 2000mhz. Was a bit confused over uncore then found out that ASUS calls that QPI/DRAM, have set this to 1.35v at present with Ram at 1.64v.

Would like to say thanks again for help/pointers, its great to be able to get feed back so quick and from peple who know what they are talking about.
Right mate. One more time.

QPI - 1.5 to 1.55v

Uncore = UCLK that needs to be set to twice the ram speed. its a frequency.

In the ram timings the tRTP needs to be set to 8 (its a little bit down the list of timings)

Ram set to 1.66v.

If you do what we say it will work you are not setting everything correctly

PLEASE read what we are posting fella.

06-11-2010, 08:02:49

Taurus
Thanks got it now sorry for the confusion

06-11-2010, 08:30:35

Taurus
ta da!

[attach][/attach]

06-11-2010, 08:36:44

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post

ta da!

[attach][/attach]
Awesome dude, easy when you listen isnt it!

Now you just need to get it 100% stable at the lowest possible volts and you are done

06-11-2010, 08:42:13

Taurus
Thanks again

08-11-2010, 11:41:56

cZm
Sorry for starting up an old thread.

I have just hooked up this kit.

Could I just check that a QPI voltage should be around 1.5v for anything over the rated 1600Mhz?

08-11-2010, 12:24:46

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cZm View Post

Sorry for starting up an old thread.

I have just hooked up this kit.

Could I just check that a QPI voltage should be around 1.5v for anything over the rated 1600Mhz?
If you read the thread dude you may need over 1.5v for 2000mhz.

But please read all the posts as there is a lot of other information you will need.

08-11-2010, 14:17:14

cZm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

If you read the thread dude you may need over 1.5v for 2000mhz.

But please read all the posts as there is a lot of other information you will need.
Yep Read that and viewed you Vid review. Very helpful, thanks m8.

12-11-2010, 07:24:51

cZm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cZm View Post

Yep Read that and viewed you Vid review. Very helpful, thanks m8.
Really enjoying this kit.

I am sorry to be going over old ground YET again but I just wanted to double check beofre I go for 2000Mhz.

Manually set tRTP to 8

QPI 1.5-1.55v

Timings/Sub Timings as per Video

Ram Volatge 1.64 - 1.66v

and see how I go?

Again sorry for asking thigns that seem to have been answered before, just wanna make sure before I get started.

Thanks

12-11-2010, 07:28:38

tinytomlogan
Deffo need the 1.66v rather than under the rated 1.65.

Deffo try the timings I had but remember you are overclocking and your set may be different. If anything you may just have to loosen the times off a smidge.

I still use these in the bench rig and they are rock solid @ 2000 8-9-8-24

13-11-2010, 14:24:56

cZm
Dont seem to be able to get stable at those settings/voltages.

Whats the max RAM voltage you would recommmend?

I will halt at 1.66v but will try 9-9-8-24

13-11-2010, 15:29:36

cZm
Man this stuff is just amazing..

Just dropped to 8-10-8-24 and stable.

Really really happy with RAM. Recommended to anybody.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s..._01/Nice-4.jpg

16-11-2010, 21:44:12

rhomp2002
Good to see you with the Mushkin. I got my first Mushkin on the advice of a friend who builds computers and have stuck with them ever since. Never had a problem at all and they just keep working and doing exactly what I want them to do. Great company to deal with and they are really good when you have questions. Put a question on their forum and you will almost surely have an answer from Mushkin within 12 hours at most and the people there know what they are talking about. Never steered me wrong.

06-12-2010, 23:24:06

CLB
Has anyone tested this exact ram from the review, on the ASUS Sabertooth? If so how did it work out?

07-12-2010, 01:34:12

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLB View Post

Has anyone tested this exact ram from the review, on the ASUS Sabertooth? If so how did it work out?
Mobos make next to no difference but Mushkin was used in the Saber Review if you go look

07-12-2010, 08:47:49

CLB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

Mobos make next to no difference but Mushkin was used in the Saber Review if you go look
I thought that was them. I watched the saber review before I did the ram. Thanks for the insight man.....I must thank you for this website though tbh. Ive learned so much already since joining not long ago!!!

20-12-2010, 18:19:34

SpriteAlpha
I thought these were compatible with the Silver Arrow (according to Tom's post on the Aria forums)? I have just tried and the heatsink won't fit with this RAM Have I done something wrong?

20-12-2010, 18:49:15

tinytomlogan
I used them with mine dude, and the Radioactive sticks.

20-12-2010, 20:47:04

SpriteAlpha
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

I used them with mine dude, and the Radioactive sticks.
Very weird. I'm not sure then... the fan on the RAM side was definitely raised due to coming into contact with the fins of the Mushkin. Maybe your case allowed for more height?

20-12-2010, 21:02:50

tinytomlogan
The fan will be its a 140mm mate. As long as the ram fits under the main body thats what I meant.

The 2nd 140mm is one of the bigger downfalls of the SA and why the Noctua is a much better cooler.

21-12-2010, 09:23:40

SpriteAlpha
Ah, I see. In any case, I've put the fans in the middle and rear, so now there's no interference with the RAM. I have an FT02 case, so I'm pushing (and pulling with the "rear" fan) everything upwards. It should work well, and I'll find out later today!

25-06-2011, 21:48:57

BillUp
Tom,

I've got the Redline Ridgeback 2x4GB 1600MHz (7-8-7-24) kit. I'm using the Asus P8 Z68 V-Pro and an i7 2600K. Do you think I will be able to hit the 2000MHz holy grail with the slightly looser timings, over the kit you reviewed?

I know you probably haven't tested these modules, but can you spare a wild guess?

PS, sorry for bumping thread.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.