Crucial Ballistix 1600mhz & MOD Review

Benchmarks

Crucial Ballistix  MOD review

Benchmarks

As this is a kit designed to run at 1600 we thought we'd put it up against the Kingston LoVo we recently tested to see if the extra voltage makes a difference.

Everest Ultimate

Despite both the Kingston and the Crucial being both 1600MHz and CAS8, the Crucial takes a fairly healthy lead here, and even though our overclock was only mild we still see the benefits that fast RAM can have.

 

SiSoft Sandra

Our Sandra bandwidth test shows the Kingston and Crucial pretty neck and neck. Naturally the overclock on the Crucial gives us a nice little hike. Roughly a 10% increase for our 10% clockspeed. Proving what I said at the beginning about people not giving RAM enough priority in their PCs.

 

CineBench R11.5

The CPU test here follows the results we've seen above. However the OpenGL test is pretty conclusive that, for whatever reason, the Kingston LoVo spanks the Crucial fairly comprehensively. As this is our first real "system-wide" test, it doesn't bode well for the next page.

 

POV-Ray

Rendering requires enormous chunks of data to be swapped to the CPU and back and once again we find that the Crucial is found somewhat lacking.

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next»

Most Recent Comments

05-07-2010, 03:18:47

tinytomlogan
Today we take a look at the latest in the long Ballistix range of RAM from Crucial.

Continue Reading

05-07-2010, 09:28:01

silenthill
The On-board I2C temperature sensor is really a cool feature and now we will be able to know when our RAM is cooking, wonder if HWMonitor utility will detect it too.

05-07-2010, 09:39:05

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='silenthill'
The On-board I2C temperature sensor is really a cool feature and now we will be able to know when our RAM is cooking, wonder if HWMonitor utility will detect it too.
HWmonitor didnt with the latest version available. I have heard corsair have sneaked out a lot of ram with thermal probes built in.

05-07-2010, 13:08:40

silenthill
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='tinytomlogan'
HWmonitor didnt with the latest version available. I have heard corsair have sneaked out a lot of ram with thermal probes built in.
Iíve seen a video which demonstrate Corsair memory with LEDíS so when the memory heats up the LED indicators light up, It didnít appeal to me because when the case door is closed and you donít have a windowed case it will be of no help at all but Tom if you have information that Corsair are manufacturing some models with probes then that is defiantly a step forward.

05-07-2010, 16:39:49

I Hunta x
If your the kind of person that builds for looks and not all out raw power/the best bang for buck these wouldnt be a bad kit kit at all, one of the few i can recall recently with black pcb's little details like that can mean alot to some people who would be happy not to overclock it and get a few % lower performance for that well finished look. IMO aslong as it is priced around the same as equivilent stock speeded kits its not to bad at all.

05-07-2010, 18:02:01

AMDFTW
i have some of the LED ram (XMS2 PRO) it just lit up when they wer being used

06-07-2010, 02:09:59

silenthill
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='I Hunta x'
If your the kind of person that builds for looks and not all out raw power/the best bang for buck these wouldnt be a bad kit kit at all, one of the few i can recall recently with black pcb's little details like that can mean alot to some people who would be happy not to overclock it and get a few % lower performance for that well finished look. IMO aslong as it is priced around the same as equivilent stock speeded kits its not to bad at all.
They look like a Ferrari car

06-07-2010, 04:31:46

F-alienware
I've never really used Crucial ram. It always seemed overpriced.

Good review and really honest too. It's nice to read unbiased reviews where there hasn't been any buttering up. Very rare in this day and age that.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.