Crucial Ballistix 1600mhz & MOD Review

Taking a Look

Crucial Ballistix  MOD review

The Heatspreader

RAM very rarely comes in anything approaching unique packaging, and nor does it need to. I've always found it curious that something so statically sensitive comes in two sides of plastic that need to be pulled apart. It's almost a recipe for static. However it is standard across all manufacturers and so clearly works. 

Crucial Ballistix MOD review     Crucial Ballistix MOD review  

As the Ballistix line has moved on and been refined through the years it always kept its very distinctive gold heatspreader. After all with brand identity being such a huge part of any business if you're keeping the name you might as well keep the colour scheme. So it's with some disappointment we see that this kit is far more generic with a black heatspreader and only the Ballistix name giving a clue.

Crucial Ballistix MOD review     Crucial Ballistix MOD review  

However it's important to note, and also remember through the rest of this review, that this isn't one of Crucials full-on all-out kits. So in a lot of ways it makes sense they've kept the all-gold look to their high-end products and this kit, being about the bottom of the Ballistix line, is more sedate.

Crucial Ballistix MOD review     Crucial Ballistix MOD review  

Finally we get a close look at the size and see that modern heatspreader design has started to be refined to the point we no longer see curious attempts to be cooler. In much the same way that most CPU coolers have taken up the four heat-pipe + tower design.

Crucial Ballistix MOD review     Crucial Ballistix MOD review

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next»

Most Recent Comments

05-07-2010, 03:18:47

tinytomlogan
Today we take a look at the latest in the long Ballistix range of RAM from Crucial.

Continue Reading

05-07-2010, 09:28:01

silenthill
The On-board I2C temperature sensor is really a cool feature and now we will be able to know when our RAM is cooking, wonder if HWMonitor utility will detect it too.

05-07-2010, 09:39:05

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='silenthill'
The On-board I2C temperature sensor is really a cool feature and now we will be able to know when our RAM is cooking, wonder if HWMonitor utility will detect it too.
HWmonitor didnt with the latest version available. I have heard corsair have sneaked out a lot of ram with thermal probes built in.

05-07-2010, 13:08:40

silenthill
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='tinytomlogan'
HWmonitor didnt with the latest version available. I have heard corsair have sneaked out a lot of ram with thermal probes built in.
Iíve seen a video which demonstrate Corsair memory with LEDíS so when the memory heats up the LED indicators light up, It didnít appeal to me because when the case door is closed and you donít have a windowed case it will be of no help at all but Tom if you have information that Corsair are manufacturing some models with probes then that is defiantly a step forward.

05-07-2010, 16:39:49

I Hunta x
If your the kind of person that builds for looks and not all out raw power/the best bang for buck these wouldnt be a bad kit kit at all, one of the few i can recall recently with black pcb's little details like that can mean alot to some people who would be happy not to overclock it and get a few % lower performance for that well finished look. IMO aslong as it is priced around the same as equivilent stock speeded kits its not to bad at all.

05-07-2010, 18:02:01

AMDFTW
i have some of the LED ram (XMS2 PRO) it just lit up when they wer being used

06-07-2010, 02:09:59

silenthill
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='I Hunta x'
If your the kind of person that builds for looks and not all out raw power/the best bang for buck these wouldnt be a bad kit kit at all, one of the few i can recall recently with black pcb's little details like that can mean alot to some people who would be happy not to overclock it and get a few % lower performance for that well finished look. IMO aslong as it is priced around the same as equivilent stock speeded kits its not to bad at all.
They look like a Ferrari car

06-07-2010, 04:31:46

F-alienware
I've never really used Crucial ram. It always seemed overpriced.

Good review and really honest too. It's nice to read unbiased reviews where there hasn't been any buttering up. Very rare in this day and age that.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.