Roccat Kone 3200dpi Gaming Mouse

Final Verdict

Final Verdict
 
Roccat KoneWell what can I say? The Roccat Kone has been ticking the positive boxes left, right and centre. The hard work that's gone into the development and production of this high performance mouse has clearly paid off by offering a product that clearly holds it's own against competitor brands, who have had the advantage of many more years of experience. A gaming mouse must be very responsive, comfortable and very durable. Roccat's Kone offers exactly that along with stunning aesthetics and finally reliable and efficient software. However, returning to the manufacturer's main objective of offering products that clearly stand out from the competition, where exactly does the Kone do so? It fared well in all of our tests and it is without a shadow of doubt a potent alternative to similarly priced Logitech and Razer gaming mice, but I do not believe that it particularly “stands out” as such.
 
That being said, I would say that the shining robot animal in question offers enough to perhaps persuade the customer to buy one over it's competition. As a first attempt to penetrate a relatively competitive market segment, I believe that Roccat have done a fantastic job. At £42.99, the company's strategy of a midrange gaming mouse was very sensible and when combined with the fact that the product is very well refined and offers more from an aesthetic point of view than it's competition, I must say that the Kone mouse is just superb. With a bit of strong promotion and marketing strategies, I strongly feel that Roccat are on the road to success.
 
 
The Good
-­ Great Performance.
- Useful Tracking Calibration Utility.
-­ Versatile and Memory Friendly Drivers & Software.
-­ Stunning 38 LED Colour Design.
- Generally good build quality.
 
The Mediocre
-­ Pricing could have been more competitive.
 
The Bad
-­ None.
 
Overclock3D Gamers Choice
 
Well done Roccat and many thanks for the opportunity to review your product! Discuss in our forums.
«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next»

Most Recent Comments

14-06-2009, 08:58:07

JN
"Ever felt as though your otherwise unbeatable fragging skills were being held back by your computer? Maybe newcomer to the scene Roccat can help..." - by Mul.

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...221409854s.jpg

Roccat Kone 3200dpi Gaming Mouse

14-06-2009, 09:03:51

Evo2RaidPc
Looks pretty cool, would like to try it out. I love my logitech 518 but ? This could feel and work better than mine I would switch. Nice pic.

14-06-2009, 09:51:07

Brooksie
Nice mouse, might have to consider this to go with my Roccat Taito mat

14-06-2009, 10:11:17

Lallespasser
It really is a great mouse. In addition to what the article said, i can add that the buttons and in particular the scrolling wheel have a really nice and precise feel to them.

However, the article left me wondering: did you not test the mouse on a mouse mat matching the price class of the mouse? I mean, sure, it's fun to read about it's performance on clay, but it might be a little more relevant to reveal how it performs on, say, a Razer Destructor.

I just so happen to own a Razer Destructor , and i can report that, coupled with the Roccat Kone, the mouse slides with almost no resistance and is extremely precise.

14-06-2009, 10:17:45

Evo2RaidPc
Thats what we won't to here how it rely performs. The action of the contrrols, thanks for the update.

14-06-2009, 11:09:58

Youngie1337
Who ever plays with over 800dpi is crazy. With 800dpi I have to set game sensitivity to 0.3-0.7. anything over that is ridiculous and not worth the changing tbh. Unless you like 12cm per 1010101010 degrees turn get this mouse .

Nice review though I gotta say that but the DPI is overrated and pointless. Doesn't even enhance gameplay because nearly everybody lowers the DPI to 800 anyway. Unless you were working with a 2000" screen I see no point for the DPI.

14-06-2009, 11:31:02

Kylevdm
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Youngie1337'
Who ever plays with over 800dpi is crazy. With 800dpi I have to set game sensitivity to 0.3-0.7. anything over that is ridiculous and not worth the changing tbh. Unless you like 12cm per 1010101010 degrees turn get this mouse .

Nice review though I gotta say that but the DPI is overrated and pointless. Doesn't even enhance gameplay because nearly everybody lowers the DPI to 800 anyway. Unless you were working with a 2000" screen I see no point for the DPI.
Agreed, although I have it at 400 whenever I am gaming, good review though!

14-06-2009, 11:32:31

monkey7
I disagree. I play any fps with the mx518 at 1800 DPI and still I have to set my mouse sensitivity to 12.0 in the source games.

Having a quite sensitive hand I just don't like dragging it around for hours. I prefer small subtle movements, and that's where DPI comes in.

14-06-2009, 11:52:29

Youngie1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='monkey7'
I disagree. I play any fps with the mx518 at 1800 DPI and still I have to set my mouse sensitivity to 12.0 in the source games.

Having a quite sensitive hand I just don't like dragging it around for hours. I prefer small subtle movements, and that's where DPI comes in.
Wow! When I have 12 sensitivity with 800DPI even 2cm it's around 720 degrees .

14-06-2009, 12:05:08

Luigi
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Youngie1337'
Wow! When I have 12 sensitivity with 800DPI even 2cm it's around 720 degrees .
it varies depending on how sensitive you have your mouse set in windows...

14-06-2009, 12:15:48

zak4994
Is it me or is it that if you look at it at a certain angle, it is more suited for left handed players?

Price needs to go down. :P

14-06-2009, 12:20:56

Youngie1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Luigi'
it varies depending on how sensitive you have your mouse set in windows...
Not if you use mouse drivers, which varies once again but why on earth would anyone set it low and games high since the desktop would be really slow and game annoyingly fast. I set to a nice contrast so my aiming doesn't mess up.

14-06-2009, 13:38:40

bckbacek
I had this mouse.

At this mouse different sensitivity for high speed of moving and low.

For example, if to move very slowly that having made in game, the turn of 360 degrees, the mouse on a rug will move on 10 see

If to move very quickly, on 360 degrees the mouse on a pad will move on 20 see

In other words the mouse has negative acceleration!

Moreover the mouse way on a pad with slow speed does not depend on sensitivity of the mouse established in the driver!

Sensitivity in the driver depends on parametre only average and high speed of moving.

In other words if we move the cursor from a screen left edge to right with a great speed, and then we will slowly return to a left edge that the mouse will not return to an start point on to mousepad

14-06-2009, 15:27:22

Youngie1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='bckbacek'
I had this mouse.

At this mouse different sensitivity for high speed of moving and low.

For example, if to move very slowly that having made in game, the turn of 360 degrees, the mouse on a rug will move on 10 see

If to move very quickly, on 360 degrees the mouse on a pad will move on 20 see

In other words the mouse has negative acceleration!

Moreover the mouse way on a pad with slow speed does not depend on sensitivity of the mouse established in the driver!

Sensitivity in the driver depends on parametre only average and high speed of moving.

In other words if we move the cursor from a screen left edge to right with a great speed, and then we will slowly return to a left edge that the mouse will not return to an start point on to mousepad
Yes acceleration that's called, and I hate it so much. You can't even disable and change polling rates on Vista 64 . I tried and tried nothing works AT ALL. I tried my own apps and still can't get it to work. I did see someone make something called DirectInput which gets rid of the negative acceleration when you load the .exe with the app. Unfortunately it was banned as a hack , nothing to do with hacks but yeah.

I get what you mean though, if you moved mouse from A to B and did the same exact movement from B to A it would be a different location the mouse lands on.

14-06-2009, 16:43:29

bckbacek
Now I use mouse Microsoft Sidewinder X8.

At this mouse (X8) absolutely is absent what or acceleration, both negative and positive.

It is possible to move X8 with any speed it comes back precisely there whence started.

I check in Unreal Tournament 3, and also on desktop windows.

It worked equally in WinXP and now in Win7 64

To me it is very important that there was no acceleration as I play UT3 actively using Combo Shock.

Mine player name iG0Lka=-

_http_://dfbgaming.com/ut3_stats/index.php?page=highs&showlist=Rewards%3AMost+Combo+Kings&player_sel=all&game_name=ut3pc

14-06-2009, 16:47:14

Youngie1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='bckbacek'
Now I use mouse Microsoft Sidewinder X8.

At this mouse (X8) absolutely is absent what or acceleration, both negative and positive.

It is possible to move X8 with any speed it comes back precisely there whence started.

I check in Unreal Tournament 3, and also on desktop windows.

It worked equally in WinXP and now in Win7 64

To me it is very important that there was no acceleration as I play UT3 actively using Combo Shock.

Mine player name iG0Lka=-

_http_://dfbgaming.com/ut3_stats/index.php?page=highs&showlist=Rewards%3AMost+Combo+Kings&player_sel=all&game_name=ut3pc
I know what you mean mate, I used to play with a team all day every day, was really annoying the mouse accel. I didn't switch to Vista because of it and I hate playing with Vista because the mouse feels very different. When on XP my aim is so much better. Sounds weird but I'm used to it.

I use Logitech MX518 and Razer Diamondback 3G. I'm looking at a graphic tablet atm to try play with that, would be interesting.

DPI is important when photo editing comes into account but gaming I can't really see difference.

14-06-2009, 17:23:32

PeterStoba
Nice review by Mul, glad he got the position

Where did he dissapear to though once he'd got it

14-06-2009, 18:21:11

w3bbo
Nice review m8. Deffo gonna get one of these.

14-06-2009, 19:33:35

Mul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='PeterStoba'
Nice review by Mul, glad he got the position

Where did he dissapear to though once he'd got it
Rest assured, I haven't gone anywhere. It's been a busy week or so, packing to leave halls, property searching for the next academic year and I only just returned from download before scooting off on holiday tomorrow!

15-06-2009, 13:01:50

Bungral
After looking at what you said Youngie, I took a look at my Logitech G5 settings and that lets me turn off my acceleration which for fps's will be quite helpful as I should be able to control stopping much better as it'll only move how much I tell it to and not speed up.

Handy.

Hadn't given it much thought before.

16-06-2009, 19:08:25

djw746
Roccat needs to get on the ball and get a couple of these (and all their other products) across the pond to the North American retail market. Maybe as economies improve...

17-06-2009, 12:54:49

Evo2RaidPc
Yea I would like to check these out.

01-05-2010, 15:11:09

GogoPogo
There's no doubt that the Roccat Kone is a high-tech precision gaming mouse with many great features.

It has a 3200 DPI Pro-Aim Gaming Sensor to reduce Pick-Up-Flight; a TCU (Tracking Control Unit) to calibrate the laser power to match the mouse pad surface; an Integrated Turbocore to save CPU power; 128kB of Internal Memory to save up to five Game Profiles; a customisable light system with 5 LEDs capable of displaying the full spectrum of colors; and a FastClip Weight Kit to change the weight of the mouse from 118g by 5g, 10g, 15g and 20g.

But the so-called Ergonomic Hybrid Shape that is supposedly suitable for people with both claw grip or palm grip fails to impress me. If you have large hands then you should find this mouse very comfortable and easy to dominate.

However, if you're like me and have small-medium sized hands then don't be surprised if you get wrist ache and have trouble moving it quickly from side to side. My wrist ache got so bad after the first 5 days I put the Kone back in it's box and got my old faithful Razer Diamondback mouse back into action. The Razer is such a fantastic mouse; it's fast, accurate, and lightweight so you really feel in control of the mouse rather than the mouse controlling you.

In summary, if you've got big hands (Roccat is a German company) then buy the Roccat Kone, otherwise get something smaller like a Razer Diamondback.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.