Razer Onza Tournament Edition Review

The Features

Razer Onza Tournament Edition Review

The Features

Hold on tight as we've got three things to mention from one picture. The segmented D-Pad helps ensure your inputs can be made accurately, which certainly isn't a claim you can level against the Microsoft one. The Start and Select buttons have been moved to the leading edge of the pad which should stop those awkward moments when you slip off the top of the right stick and pause the game. Finally you can see the dial beneath the stick which enables you to adjust the resistance to your liking.

The buttons light up quite brightly. Unfortunately they have proved almost impossible to photograph clearly but 'in real life' the colours are much more vibrant and the letters still easily legible.

Razer Onza Tournament Edition Review     Razer Onza Tournament Edition Review  

The cable is enormous, a full 15m long, and the whole thing is coated in a very high quality braid that is both soft to the touch and also sturdy enough to survive laying across your carpet and being caught by inattentive feet. There is also the standard 360 break-away about 2 foot along from the pad which should help keep your console/pad safe if people do catch the cable.

In those little touches, the text on the face buttons is upside down. When you're wondering what button is what you tend to tilt the pad towards yourself, so you can read it without any gymnastics.

Razer Onza Tournament Edition Review     Razer Onza Tournament Edition Review  

The MFBs can be remapped to anything you like. This slightly adjustment of the placing of the standard RB and LB buttons has been ergonomically aided by giving them a little corner so you can press them just by flexing your first knuckle. Dead handy for those gear changes whilst keeping your fingers on the triggers. Those triggers are bigger too and more comfortable to use.

Razer Onza Tournament Edition Review     Razer Onza Tournament Edition Review

«Prev 1 2 3 4 Next»

Most Recent Comments

04-10-2011, 05:20:57

tinytomlogan
Today we take a look at the Razer take on the XBOX 360 Pad. Does it maintain their high standards?



Continue Reading

04-10-2011, 05:59:02

dugdiamond
i do like razer, and the addition of mappable joy-buttons is great, but that d-pad is fugly

04-10-2011, 06:00:32

Lollipop
Is there a wireless version?

04-10-2011, 06:31:28

yassarikhan786
I would love me a wireless version .

04-10-2011, 06:47:07

SieB
Looks tacky to me and they could have at least tried to make it not look almost exactly the same as a 360 pad. Personally I thing the Dualshock 3 pads are the best plus you can get them for around 25.

04-10-2011, 07:16:09

Lollipop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post

Looks tacky to me and they could have at least tried to make it not look almost exactly the same as a 360 pad. Personally I thing the Dualshock 3 pads are the best plus you can get them for around 25.
Fanboy much?

04-10-2011, 07:26:08

dipzy
i'll stick to the good old keyboard and mouse for pc gaming and leave the pads to the consoles

04-10-2011, 07:26:56

SieB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post

Fanboy much?
No, not a fanboy.

I don't have and never have had a PS3, I have had three Xbox 360's in the past though.

The 360 pad is a good pad but I like the PS3 pads better, it's what I use on my PC for driving and third person games. This Razor pad just looks tacky to me and they could of at least made it look different. But thats just my opinion

04-10-2011, 07:32:13

Zeals
What happens if you plug it into a PS3?

04-10-2011, 07:37:11

yassarikhan786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeals View Post

What happens if you plug it into a PS3?
Microsoft own your PS3 .

04-10-2011, 07:47:56

sheroo
For Fifty Quid it as least needs to be wireless. I recently bought 2 wireless xbox controllers and a dual docking bay charger for little more than that. I like Razer, I've been using their mice for years - but 50 is taking the ....

04-10-2011, 07:57:26

SieB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheroo View Post

but 50 is taking the ....
Exactly, you could buy a Dualshock 3 and a bluetooth dongle for 30 and you can recharge the Dualshock through a mini USB lead, if you don't have one already they are only like 2 so that comes to 32 in total for a wireless pad vs 50 for a wired 360 pad with a makeover.

04-10-2011, 08:00:25

sheroo
You're just paying for the name. A good name, but a name non the less...

04-10-2011, 08:43:37

silenthill
[/size][size="3"]It's double the price of the official Xbox controller which is a bit too much for my liking

06-10-2011, 04:44:05

Junglerog
I play DC Universe On line and I've got this controller specifically for this game. Installing was a breeze since it's using Microsoft drivers and I was replacing my original XBOX 360 pad. The quality of the pad is high as all Razor products but I did not feel like it really offers anything what the original controller could not do for me. Considering that original Microsoft controller can be bought for about 17-20 quid Onza price is absolutely ridiculous.

If you expect to buy it and suddenly get better in games you play, don't. Ultimately it's you playing not the controller.

I sold it on Ebay after 2 weeks and was happy got my money back.

Edit:

Razor could not make it wireless, Microsoft license does not allow for it.

06-10-2011, 05:31:22

Cyanide89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheroo View Post

For Fifty Quid it as least needs to be wireless. I recently bought 2 wireless xbox controllers and a dual docking bay charger for little more than that. I like Razer, I've been using their mice for years - but 50 is taking the ....
It's wired for a reason. Being a tournament controller (but not MLG) the wireless functionality offers less performance than wired. The response time is noticeably better with this controller over the original Microsoft one.

You pay for performance.

06-10-2011, 05:33:18

Cyanide89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglerog View Post

Razor could not make it wireless, Microsoft license does not allow for it.
I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

06-10-2011, 09:09:28

Ya93sin
I just use a PS3 controller, tbh I do prefer it to the XBox360 controller anyway. Useful for the fun modes in Dirt3, whereas a wheel is useful for Rally and timed events.

06-10-2011, 09:53:13

Lollipop
FYI it is "Razer" not "Razor"

06-10-2011, 11:39:07

DiggyDiggyHole
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post

[/size][size="3"]It's double the price of the official Xbox controller which is a bit too much for my liking


Ummm, the Razer is cheaper actually o.o At my local Bestbuy, a wireless Microsoft Controller is $60 and the Razer Onza is $50. To top it off, it is wired which is much better then the wireless Microsoft shite much better response time, and even if that seems like a problem to you, it has a 15-20feet long braided cable!

06-10-2011, 11:42:41

yassarikhan786
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggyHole View Post

Ummm, the Razer is cheaper actually o.o At my local Bestbuy, a wireless Microsoft Controller is $60 and the Razer Onza is $50. To top it off, it is wired which is much better then the wireless Microsoft shite much better response time, and even if that seems like a problem to you, it has a 15-20inch long braided cable!
15 - 20 inches. That's not even a metre dude. Do you mean metres?

06-10-2011, 11:44:49

DiggyDiggyHole
Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post

Exactly, you could buy a Dualshock 3 and a bluetooth dongle for 30 and you can recharge the Dualshock through a mini USB lead, if you don't have one already they are only like 2 so that comes to 32 in total for a wireless pad vs 50 for a wired 360 pad with a makeover.
Sieb, will we ever see eye to eye on anything XD First it is AMD, and now the Onza??? To answer your so called "problem" with it not being wireless <__< For one, a wired connection is so much better then a wireless and plus, it has a 15-20feet long braided cable, just tuck it under your carpet so people don't trip and pretend it is wireless XD Besides, I do love the PS3 controllers but, this thing is an unbridled BEAST!!!

06-10-2011, 11:47:51

DiggyDiggyHole
Quote:
Originally Posted by yassarikhan786 View Post

15 - 20 inches. That's not even a metre dude. Do you mean metres?
I meant feet but, it is about 4.57 meters long.

06-10-2011, 11:48:49

yassarikhan786
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggyHole View Post

Sieb, will we ever see eye to eye on anything XD First it is AMD, and now the Onza??? To answer your so called "problem" with it not being wireless <__< For one, a wired connection is so much better then a wireless and plus, it has a 15-20feet long braided cable, just tuck it under your carpet so people don't trip and pretend it is wireless XD Besides, I do love the PS3 controllers but, this thing is an unbridled BEAST!!!
I was thinking 15-20 inches is not long at all, lol. 15 - 20 feet is more like it .

06-10-2011, 11:51:23

silenthill
[/size][size="3"]I bought Xbox wired black controller for 25 from GameStation UK and this controller is priced at 49.99 in the UK , just to make things clear

06-10-2011, 12:36:10

SieB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggyHole View Post

Sieb, will we ever see eye to eye on anything XD First it is AMD, and now the Onza??? To answer your so called "problem" with it not being wireless <__< For one, a wired connection is so much better then a wireless and plus, it has a 15-20feet long braided cable, just tuck it under your carpet so people don't trip and pretend it is wireless XD Besides, I do love the PS3 controllers but, this thing is an unbridled BEAST!!!


Depends what you are looking for in a controller I suppose but you have to admit for the price a PS3 pad is a very good controller plus it's wireless and cheaper. If you were after a wired controller then the the Razer is a good choice but it's still more expensive than a normal 360 controller.

06-10-2011, 14:02:06

Solidarity
I think I can live without this controller. If i ever compete in a Lan I'll just use a regular wired 360 controller. If i ever do a PC lan which i wont it would be keyboard and mouse

24-01-2013, 10:00:29

JettonX
I can pick one of these up for 5 off a friend, the only problem is the cable has been cut off (still has the cable) can it be soldered back on?
Anyone got any ideas?
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.