Razer Mamba Gaming Mouse

Introduction & Specifications

Introduction

Razer are well known for their accomplished range of gaming peripherals. However they have yet to set foot into the wireless market until recently. This is likely down to views of many hardcore gamers on wireless technology. The general perception is that wireless mice will lag and therefore put you at a disadvantage against your opponent. This along with fears of the battery depleting mid game and interference with other wireless peripherals has led to the wired mouse dominating the gaming market.

Today I am looking at the Razer Mamba wireless gaming mouse, which Razer claim is the fastest mouse in the World. Offering a whopping 5600 DPI and a 1ms response time this mouse has been engineered for the hardcore gamer looking to have the best equipment possible. Apparently the Mamba has been years in the making, designed to offer the best gaming experience possible, so let's take a look at the mouse in action.

 

Specification

The specifications were taken from Razer's product page:

• Gaming Grade Wireless Technology
• Dual Mode Wired/Wireless Functionality
• Razer Synapse™ On-board Memory
• Seven independently programmable Hyperesponse™ buttons
• 5600DPI Razer Precision™ 3.5G Laser sensor
• 1000Hz Ultrapolling™ / 1ms response rate
• Up to 200 inches per second*/ 50g acceleration - Depends on surface used
• Approximate size: 128mm x 70mm x 42.5mm
• Battery Life: 14hrs (continuous gaming); 72 hours (normal gaming usage)

Windows® 2000 / XP / X64 / MCE 2005 / Vista / Vista64
Available USB port
CD-ROM Drive (for drivers)
At least 35MB of hard disk space (for drivers)

A very impressive specification on paper. The combination of 5600DPI, 1ms response rate and 50g acceleration should provide a very accurate basis for gaming. Battery life is good, but a remarkable difference between continuous and normal gaming is noted. As for the dependency on what surface is used, I find this rather bemusing, however the laser may have less work to do on a dark surface as opposed to a light coloured surface.

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next»

Most Recent Comments

10-04-2009, 05:39:37

JN
"Some of us thought that Razer would never enter the wireless market - but we were wrong. Find out how the Razer Mamba performs inside..." - by AntiHeroUK

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...203059787s.jpg

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/input_devices/razer_mamba_gaming_mouse/1

10-04-2009, 05:44:54

w3bbo
Nice mouse, naughty price.

10-04-2009, 05:45:31

prosser13
Great review AntiHero

10-04-2009, 05:59:12

PeterStoba
Author: Stuart Kennedy? I thought Anti Hero wrote it, who is called Pete? :S

Anyway, nice review, and I like the way it can be wired aswell

10-04-2009, 06:08:19

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='PeterStoba'
Author: Stuart Kennedy? I thought Anti Hero wrote it, who is called Pete? :S

Anyway, nice review, and I like the way it can be wired aswell
Is his name Pete? All emails came from Stuart. Maybe his brother?

10-04-2009, 06:23:15

monkey7
Yer, AHUK is pete.

10-04-2009, 06:35:41

premiumgfx
Congratz on getting your review published Stuart/Pete

10-04-2009, 06:38:17

Sleekit
oooo looks niice, they need to revamp the GUI of the software badly haha. Might still pick a logitech over this tho

10-04-2009, 06:40:40

premiumgfx
I reckon the Mamba is better than any Logitech. Which one did you have in mind?

10-04-2009, 06:46:04

PeterStoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Sleekit'
oooo looks niice, they need to revamp the GUI of the software badly haha. Might still pick a logitech over this tho
Yeah, It was like that 2 years ago, same now. Although I suppose if it works why fix it?

The only reason I'd pick another mouse, logitech,roccat etc.. over this is price

10-04-2009, 07:05:46

tinytomlogan
Congrats dude, well earned front page slot - kudos

10-04-2009, 08:26:42

AntiHeroUK
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Is his name Pete? All emails came from Stuart. Maybe his brother?
Sorry for the confusion Jim. The emails came from my brother as he wanted to send the Rights Agreement for the photos from his email instead of mine. Also he had all the photos on his laptop

Thanks for all your comments guys. It's great seeing my review published on the front page

10-04-2009, 12:45:32

jiffz
Great review mate, enjoyed reading that. I liked the way you chose 3 different classes in TF2 as they are all handled very differently.

Interesting to see that the disadvantages of wireless have been cancelled out, but that price is rediculous!

11-04-2009, 04:50:48

Luigi
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='jiffz'
Great review mate, enjoyed reading that. I liked the way you chose 3 different classes in TF2 as they are all handled very differently.

Interesting to see that the disadvantages of wireless have been cancelled out, but that price is rediculous!
It would seem microsoft have already made a wireless gaming mouse, and judging by the reviews I have read, it works pretty well.

I think it's so nice, I may even buy one

Linky

-edit-

I'm guessing the wireless in this is pretty powerful, do you know if it affects speakers in the same way as a mobile phone?

11-04-2009, 21:05:54

AntiHeroUK
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Luigi'
I'm guessing the wireless in this is pretty powerful, do you know if it affects speakers in the same way as a mobile phone?
There is no interference whatsoever with my speakers thus far. I don't think I would keep a mouse if it did cause problems

12-04-2009, 11:45:42

jiffz
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Luigi'
It would seem microsoft have already made a wireless gaming mouse, and judging by the reviews I have read, it works pretty well.

I think it's so nice, I may even buy one

Linky
I wouldn't buy wireless anyway, I have a thing against it

Also, I hope theres some sarcasm there because that mouse is fugly!

15-04-2009, 10:26:22

Diablo
Great review, great performer, but for that money, I don't think I could stomach it. I'm pretty happy with the G9. Also isn't the frequency above that that could interfere with speakers/soundcards? I thought phones interfered because they were about 88MHz but wireless tends to be about 2.4ghz, so there isn't a problem. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

22-07-2009, 16:47:23

Diablo
And just to eat my own words, I bought one. It is very nice, really comfortable, nice and chunky, feels just the right weight, slides amazingly. Still think the wheel on the g9 is better, and it still is pretty expensive, but I'm happy, might do a user review at some point.

15-01-2010, 19:30:33

denis114
wish i had this mouse it looks awesome and its wireless

looks amazing and im sure it performs amazing

16-01-2010, 05:33:13

VonBlade
Whoa. Talk about a thread from the dead.

30-08-2010, 01:58:10

Who?
I have purchased the mouse after reading the reviews and have the following comments:

- The weight is good, with a solid feel about it.

- The size is a tad small and I find that my hand is still resting on the mouse pad as opposed to being completed supported by the mouse. I don't have big hands either i.e., medium sized gloves fit me ok.

- Button feel on the left and right mouse buttons is the best I have come across. Tactile and responsive at the same time.

- DPI adjust buttons don't feel like they are in the right spot. The idea is good but I end up usually clicking the LMB at the same time.

- The forward/backward buttons seem too far forward but this could just be the way my hand is shaped.

- Scroll wheel has nice weighting and feel.

- I am unable to detect any lag of any sort when wireless.

- The on/off button is a good idea.

- Surface of the mouse feels good but am concerned that the surface coating will wear off in time.

- The LED's on the side is a good idea which I have used for checking which DPI setting I am on.

- The software that comes with it is not that hard to use. I am using version 1.07 and firmware 1.13 so maybe it has improved with the later releases.

- In-game performance is good and I forget I am using the mouse which is a good sign as it means that the mouse is doing its job and not fighting me. However I am not using the backward/forward buttons.

- Other reviews have mentioned that the USB lead is fiddly to plug into and out of the mouse but I have found it works well. You need to use the cable release button which is why some people may have had a problem.

Overall a good mouse. Was it worth the money?....not really. I suspect I can get a mouse at half the cost with pretty similar specs and performance. Time will tell on the longevity of the product and the cost will be forgiven if it lasts as long as I hope.

Thanks guys for the article/review and as a newbie to the site I hope I can add my 2 cents worth on product that you have reviewed that I have purchased and used.

30-08-2010, 04:17:27

sunjoo
the mamba is a great mouse just a bit overpriced tbh

03-03-2011, 09:04:12

coolgame
can anyone suggest a gud wireless kb+gaming mouse which is cheap and will also last atleast about 4-5hr gaming?

03-03-2011, 15:03:54

adamjamesroe
Very nice review

04-03-2011, 12:17:43

HackHeaven
I have this mouse and i have to say its the first mouse that is a *gaming mouse* ive had and it is not good

The drivers do not like windows vista or windows 7 (i think)

The mouse wheel makes all kinds of noise

I cant seem to pinpoint things im trying to click on anymore

In FPS games its REALLY bad

I do like it because its big and its fast

The one i have the side grips? or whatever are starting to come off sometimes when i touch them and it gets dirty alot

I even have the Razer Vespula that Razer says is the best pad for this mouse

On another note dont ever buy a vespula if you game alot because both sides of mine are were out and ive had this pad less then 6 months (and the wrist thing hurts your hand after sometime

04-03-2011, 15:22:54

Zeals
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackHeaven View Post

I have this mouse and i have to say its the first mouse that is a *gaming mouse* ive had and it is not good

The drivers do not like windows vista or windows 7 (i think)

The mouse wheel makes all kinds of noise

I cant seem to pinpoint things im trying to click on anymore

In FPS games its REALLY bad

I do like it because its big and its fast

The one i have the side grips? or whatever are starting to come off sometimes when i touch them and it gets dirty alot

I even have the Razer Vespula that Razer says is the best pad for this mouse

On another note dont ever buy a vespula if you game alot because both sides of mine are were out and ive had this pad less then 6 months (and the wrist thing hurts your hand after sometime
Yeah there are a lot of complaints with the Vespula wristrest, since the material used to make the cover for it is extremely coarse or something. When it comes to the Mumba, are you using the latest drivers? Because mine doesn't have any of those problems, I guess it's just Razer quality control problem.

05-03-2011, 06:05:57

HackHeaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeals View Post

Yeah there are a lot of complaints with the Vespula wristrest, since the material used to make the cover for it is extremely coarse or something. When it comes to the Mumba, are you using the latest drivers? Because mine doesn't have any of those problems, I guess it's just Razer quality control problem.
I dont even have the software for it installed i dont think because its kind of hard to get it installed i did have it installed on my old pc and it was the same as it is now

06-03-2011, 10:22:02

Zeals
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackHeaven View Post

I dont even have the software for it installed i dont think because its kind of hard to get it installed i did have it installed on my old pc and it was the same as it is now
Well the drivers don't really make a difference as far as I know. As far as I'm concerned they just let you customize keybindings. It's the firmware that needs upgrading for actual mice problems, but the firmware update is a pain admittedly; since it does tend to fail randomly halfway through the install; atleast in my experience. Which causes the mouse to be locked out, and you need to pull it out and restart your computer before you can even attempt to begin another firmware upgrade. But upgrading might solve your issues.

06-03-2011, 11:35:15

Icekube
Gd review mate

I was bought this mouse by my lovely girlfriend when it came out, and I've had no problems with it at all, no driver problems, no squeaking from the scroller and I find it more responsive compared to my old G5, and I'm a heavy fps gamer so I'm v.fussy about my mice.

06-03-2011, 11:39:19

SeanBond
I have that mouse! its awesome. had for like a year now and only the left rubber grip is "shiny" no wear anywhere else, i also changed the buttons by your thumb to change the DPI



06-03-2011, 13:30:36

dugdiamond
i lurve Razer

i had a deathadder

better than any other i have had. well engineering and ergonomic. plus it matches my black and blue neon theme
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.