Nvidia GTX980 Maxwell Review

Introduction and Technical Specifications

nVidia GTX980 Maxwell Review

Introduction

It barely seems a moment since we were looking at the GTX780Ti and marvelling about the amount of performance available, and then from out of the blue the word sprung that nVidia were going to release their new Maxwell GPU and graphics cards.

It's fair to say we're somewhat surprised to find them in the wild so early, especially as the GTX780Ti is still a monster of a card, capable of matching/beating almost anything you bring to the party. However, as soon as we saw the direction nVidia are going then it all makes sense. 

The GTX980 - and GTX970 - aren't designed to be another massive leap forwards from the GK110, but rather to refine it until the power draw is much lower and the architecture supports the very latest in DirectX 12 and nVidia GeForce optimisations. It is a very similar roadmap to the one taken by Intel with their CPUs, equivalent performance in a more ecological package.

Technical Specifications

Despite having slightly fewer CUDA Cores than the GTX780Ti that preceded it, the overwhelming eye-catcher in the GTX980 specifications has to be those clock speeds. 1.2GHz on the GPU Core, 7GHz GDDR5 giving 5 Teraflops of compute power. There certainly isn't any scrimping in raw horsepower terms. Cast your gaze a little further down and we see that the Maxwell GTX980 only has two 6pin PCIe power inputs. A hint of the ideology that underpins this latest nVidia GPU.

nVidia GTX980 Maxwell Review  

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next»

Most Recent Comments

18-09-2014, 22:33:19

tinytomlogan
http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...164358717l.JPG

The next generation of nVidia GPUs, codenamed Maxwell, is upon us. Are they worth the upgrade? We find out.


Read more on the Nvidia GTX980 Maxwell ReviewQuote

18-09-2014, 22:54:36

Dicehunter
Just skimming through the numbers on this awesome review it looks like 780 Ti owners are going to have to wait for something truly epic.
Apart from the energy efficiency the differences between the 780 Ti and 980 are miniscule.Quote

18-09-2014, 22:57:20

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Just skimming through the numbers on this awesome review it looks like 780 Ti owners are going to have to wait for something truly epic.
Apart from the energy efficiency the difference between the 780 Ti and 980 is miniscule.

Read why....... Expecting the last card owners to upgrade everytime is a bit narrow minded IMHOQuote

18-09-2014, 23:12:11

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Read why....... Expecting the last card owners to upgrade everytime is a bit narrow minded IMHO
I know just saying

P.S I panicked, I couldn't find the video, I found it, All is well again Quote

19-09-2014, 00:03:25

Kushiro
BTW the GTX 980 is available for purchase in AU already, which is surprising.

http://www.centrecom.com.au/gigabyte...-graphics-cardQuote

19-09-2014, 00:11:28

kdawgmaster
Rly this is nothing spectacular at all. For something that draws so little power I was expect the temps to be much better then they are currently and performance wise this gets edged out by the R9 290x and 780ti a lot.Quote

19-09-2014, 00:13:47

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawgmaster View Post
Rly this is nothing spectacular at all. For something that draws so little power I was expect the temps to be much better then they are currently and performance wise this gets edged out by the R9 290x and 780ti a lot.
It's really just a taste of whats to come, Imagine the Maxwell GM200 part.
Full fat Maxwell, Now that will be epic Quote

19-09-2014, 00:25:52

agent_x007
Tom : To complete Titan-class cooler GPU's collection, U still need Titan Black and Titan-Z :PQuote

19-09-2014, 00:32:25

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_x007 View Post
Tom : To complete Titan-class cooler GPU's collection, U still need Titan Black and Titan-Z :P
I agree, Come on Tom, The collection just doesn't look right Quote

19-09-2014, 00:53:24

Wraith
Excellent work Guvnor! Now to all those who asked the question "Should I upgrade my 600 series to the 700 series or should I wait for Maxwell".... the answer is clear! Get a 900 series. Quote

19-09-2014, 01:38:51

WYP
Great review as always Tom, barely slept tonight with the Scottish Vote, Maxwell and everything else. Doesn't take much to wreck my sleep pattern lol.

I'll be honest, I'm usually a fan/supporter of AMD but I think I'll move back to the Green Team now (Haven't been there since my dual 460s). I've made money recently buying and reselling a cheap R9 290 I found on ebay so I'm considering selling up and Going Nvidia now. That efficiency is just fantastic.Quote

19-09-2014, 02:32:03

Kaapstad
That takes care of the warm up act, NVidia bring on the full fat Maxwell GPUs now please.Quote

19-09-2014, 02:37:06

Zoot
I wouldn't get too excited about power consumption numbers, since generally electricity is pretty cheap, here it's like €0.12/kWhr. The actual saving you'll make in the year with the number of hours I spend gaming in the week is miniscule, even if you compare the 290X to the 980.

Having said that though, the perf/W numbers are darn impressive. Here's waiting for what AMD have up their sleeves. Hopefully we'll have an exciting back and forth between Nvidia and AMD again, just like last year.

EDIT: To put numbers on my "miniscule" claim:

For me, the cost saving in using a 980 over a 290X is just €20/yr, I wasn't expecting it to be that low.

Quote:
Time Spent in the Week Gaming = 20hrs max (usually) = 1040hrs anually
Difference in Power from the Wall = 504W-348W = 156W = 0.156kW
Electricity Cost = €0.12/kWhr
Cost Difference in the Year = 0.156 * 0.12 * 1040 = €19.47 /yr
Quote

19-09-2014, 03:05:44

larry
argh bloddy australian prices on technolagyQuote

19-09-2014, 03:55:00

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
That takes care of the warm up act, NVidia bring on the full fat Maxwell GPUs now please.
You getting any of these Kaapstad ?Quote

19-09-2014, 04:01:01

SieB
Well the 980 is looking pretty good, definitely the card to be getting if you want a Nvidia card and you are upgrading from an older lower performing card.

They aren't to badly priced for new cards either, well given the performance they wouldn't of been anyway. Still, with the prices that the 290/X are going for these days you are still getting a lot more for your buck, but the 970 is only £300 and not that much more than a 290.

I'm looking forward to seeing 20nm Maxwell, there is nothing left in 28nm and it is time for 20nm to bring in the real next gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
EDIT: To put numbers on my "miniscule" claim:

For me, the cost saving in using a 980 over a 290X is just €20/yr, I wasn't expecting it to be that low.
People over exaggerate power usage far to much, as you have pointed out it is next to nothing a year on your electric bill Quote

19-09-2014, 04:47:16

Kaapstad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
You getting any of these Kaapstad ?
No

My next GPUs will probably be four GM200 cards in the new year.Quote

19-09-2014, 04:53:40

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
No

My next GPUs will probably be four GM200 cards in the new year.
Sweet, Now that I'm looking forward to seeing Quote

19-09-2014, 05:32:46

megaspeed2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
I wouldn't get too excited about power consumption numbers, since generally electricity is pretty cheap, here it's like €0.12/kWhr. The actual saving you'll make in the year with the number of hours I spend gaming in the week is miniscule, even if you compare the 290X to the 980.

Having said that though, the perf/W numbers are darn impressive. Here's waiting for what AMD have up their sleeves. Hopefully we'll have an exciting back and forth between Nvidia and AMD again, just like last year.

EDIT: To put numbers on my "miniscule" claim:

For me, the cost saving in using a 980 over a 290X is just €20/yr, I wasn't expecting it to be that low.
It's not about the money you save on electricity, that is such a closed minded view point. It's about the fact that power usage has been going up and up over the years, back in the day a 400W power supply could run a high end PC, now you need 600W to reliably run a GTX780 or R9 290 based system, 650-700 if you use an AMD FX8320 or higher CPU.

Don't you see that's a problem? the higher power usage gets the bigger the power supply we need, that means more components which means more expense which means slower development as manufacturers wait for technology to improve to get more power.

It also means less heat in PC to deal with, that means less likelyhood of getting into the exact same situation R9 290 cards are ALREADY in (i.e. getting to a point where without watercooling or a 5 slot thick heastsink cant even run at reference clock speeds (i have a MSI R9 290 and even with being the aftermarket cooled version which i have undervolted it goes into thermal protection and drops to 900MHz)).

Also the power savings actually aren't even that miniscule, a £20 saving now.. yeah sure, how about in 5 years if that saving was £100 a year, surely you arent going to tell me three whole AAA games (if bought via G2A for example) is a "miniscule" gain?Quote

19-09-2014, 05:38:12

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaspeed2 View Post
It's not about the money you save on electricity, that is such a closed minded view point. It's about the fact that power usage has been going up and up over the years, back in the day a 400W power supply could run a high end PC, now you need 600W to reliably run a GTX780 or R9 290 based system, 650-700 if you use an AMD FX8320 or higher CPU.

Don't you see that's a problem? the higher power usage gets the bigger the power supply we need, that means more components which means more expense which means slower development as manufacturers wait for technology to improve to get more power.

It also means less heat in PC to deal with, that means less likelyhood of getting into the exact same situation R9 290 cards are ALREADY in (i.e. getting to a point where without watercooling or a 5 slot thick heastsink cant even run at reference clock speeds (i have a MSI R9 290 and even with being the aftermarket cooled version which i have undervolted it goes into thermal protection and drops to 900MHz)).

Also the power savings actually aren't even that miniscule, a £20 saving now.. yeah sure, how about in 5 years if that saving was £100 a year, surely you arent going to tell me three whole AAA games (if bought via G2A for example) is a "miniscule" gain?
You're kind of twisting his words dude and calling someone close minded because they aren't that impressed with the "New Tech" is a little out of order.
Plus you have to remember we are talking about the card now not in 5 years time, Yes sure it will be great to see power consumption go down in the next 5 years hence saving us money but at the moment it's nothing to write home about but it is a step in the right direction Quote

19-09-2014, 05:43:01

WYP
We need to remember one thing here. If your GPU uses less power it it likely cooler, and Quieter (both from a fan speed and electrical noise standpoint) and that the fact your system is using less power also makes your PSU fan run slower.

Maxwell may not be a massive performance gain over the last generation, but TBH are the gains ever that massive?Quote

19-09-2014, 05:47:39

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
but TBH are the gains ever that massive?
680 to 780 Ti was quite a large performance bump, I saw certain games literally double in frames.Quote

19-09-2014, 05:50:51

SieB
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaspeed2 View Post
It's not about the money you save on electricity, that is such a closed minded view point. It's about the fact that power usage has been going up and up over the years, back in the day a 400W power supply could run a high end PC, now you need 600W to reliably run a GTX780 or R9 290 based system, 650-700 if you use an AMD FX8320 or higher CPU.

Don't you see that's a problem? the higher power usage gets the bigger the power supply we need, that means more components which means more expense which means slower development as manufacturers wait for technology to improve to get more power.

It also means less heat in PC to deal with, that means less likelyhood of getting into the exact same situation R9 290 cards are ALREADY in (i.e. getting to a point where without watercooling or a 5 slot thick heastsink cant even run at reference clock speeds (i have a MSI R9 290 and even with being the aftermarket cooled version which i have undervolted it goes into thermal protection and drops to 900MHz)).

Also the power savings actually aren't even that miniscule, a £20 saving now.. yeah sure, how about in 5 years if that saving was £100 a year, surely you arent going to tell me three whole AAA games (if bought via G2A for example) is a "miniscule" gain?
No one said the lower power consumption is a bad thing but its not anything to be excited about, as Zoot said. Lower power consumption parts are the way forward and it is the way everything is going.

In terms of how much you benefit from it with the 980 and 970, it is very small. And sorry, but £100 over 5 years is nothing, that is half a decade. I spend £100 on crap every month, saving £100 over 5 years is so meaningless it's no even worth thinking about. If you are on a very tight budget where every single penny counts then i'm sure that £100 over 5 years would matter, but for most of us it is nothing.

As for your 290 statment, blame MSI for their inefficient cooler, I have a Sapphire Tri-X that runs at 72*c max while gaming at 1050/1500 and it is no louder than the other fans in my case.

Lower power consumption parts are welcome and Nvidia have done a great job with Maxwell, is it anything to be excited about or enough of a reason to go out and buy one just for that sole reason though? Not really.Quote

19-09-2014, 06:14:11

Zoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaspeed2 View Post
It's not about the money you save on electricity, that is such a closed minded view point. It's about the fact that power usage has been going up and up over the years, back in the day a 400W power supply could run a high end PC, now you need 600W to reliably run a GTX780 or R9 290 based system, 650-700 if you use an AMD FX8320 or higher CPU.
Actually no you don't. Tom has a video somewhere running a GTX 780 Ti and i7 system on a 450W Corsair RM PSU just fine. There's no reason an AMD FX CPU is going to change the picture that much.

If power was such a big issue I guess I should upgrade the PSU for my AMD Athlon 5350 Kabini system to 1000W from the 18W adapter it runs off at the minute just to be sure eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaspeed2 View Post
It also means less heat in PC to deal with, that means less likelyhood of getting into the exact same situation R9 290 cards are ALREADY in (i.e. getting to a point where without watercooling or a 5 slot thick heastsink cant even run at reference clock speeds (i have a MSI R9 290 and even with being the aftermarket cooled version which i have undervolted it goes into thermal protection and drops to 900MHz)).

Also the power savings actually aren't even that miniscule, a £20 saving now.. yeah sure, how about in 5 years if that saving was £100 a year, surely you arent going to tell me three whole AAA games (if bought via G2A for example) is a "miniscule" gain?
I've said it before but heat isn't really that much of an issue. The temperatures of the respective components inside your PC are perfectly capable of operating at 100C+ for extended periods of time so there isn't really an issue with heat. People get too worked up about temperatures too.

And with me, since I tend to upgrade my graphics card every 2 years. A €20/yr saving isn't going to change anything for me. I'd rather a cheaper, higher performing and more power hungry graphics card any day.

That isn't to say Maxwell isn't seriously impressive, the perf/W numbers are amazing, but Power Consumption on the desktop isn't nearly the issue people make it out to be. One would swear the electricity costs were like $100/kWhr, but they're not.

Now, if we're talking mobile as in laptops/tablets/phones then power consumption is everything since battery life is king, but for gaming desktops it really isn't since the savings are so tiny and nobody cares about battery life on desktops.

Anyway, I don't really have the energy for this kind of debate again tbh (said it all before) so I'll leave it at that. Quote

19-09-2014, 06:37:24

Kaapstad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
I've said it before but heat isn't really that much of an issue. The temperatures of the respective components inside your PC are perfectly capable of operating at 100C+ for extended periods of time so there isn't really an issue with heat. People get too worked up about temperatures too.
Very very very bad to even get close to these temps in a case. Those sort of temps will kill your RAM, Motherboard, SSDs and even some GPUs.Quote

19-09-2014, 06:43:07

Dicehunter
I wonder if the DSR feature is just software based and can be implemented through drivers ? Quote

19-09-2014, 06:47:11

RizeAllard
It's a great review again! Nice to see that Nvidia go a big step forward to efficency. I would really like if AMD follow this way creating the new R9 x3XX series. I have a 290X and will have a twin in some months. I really pleased with it only the power consumption is bother me with that card as i use energy efficency machines and bulbs everywhere. Maybe I saved up enough energy every other side of life to use it for another 290X Quote

19-09-2014, 06:47:51

Scoob
I'm actually pretty impressed to see this new, low-power GPU trading blows with the 780Ti - a very impressive achievement. Pricing too is VERY appealing and doubtless will only drop over time.

A reference pair of 980's would make for a marked improvement over my current pair of 680's - once decent water blocks are available of course. However, I feel that my ageing 2500k is the weak spot on my current setup, rather than the GPU's.

Maybe it's time for a fully system overhaul, sorta tempted by a 5960X this time so I can play with 8 real cores and DDR4, however, I suspect something based around a 4790K would, in all practical terms, perform equally as well. We shall see.

Oh, for reference on power usage, my current system only rarely pulls over 400w during gaming - signified by my Corsair 860i's cooling fan only spinning up at this load level on my otherwise silent system.

Scoob.Quote

19-09-2014, 07:03:09

Zoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
Very very very bad to even get close to these temps in a case. Those sort of temps will kill your RAM, Motherboard, SSDs and even some GPUs.
Nah, that's not true. SSDs and HDDs, sure. The rest of the stuff on the list ala. CPUs, GPUs etc. - no.

Don't particularly want to get into it, so I'll just link some old posts of mine:
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showpos...7&postcount=33
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthr...t=66140&page=3 (came up in this thread too)

Anyway it's off-topic so, start a new thread if you want to discuss it further.Quote

19-09-2014, 07:06:09

megaspeed2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post
In terms of how much you benefit from it with the 980 and 970, it is very small. And sorry, but £100 over 5 years is nothing, that is half a decade. I spend £100 on crap every month, saving £100 over 5 years is so meaningless it's no even worth thinking about. If you are on a very tight budget where every single penny counts then i'm sure that £100 over 5 years would matter, but for most of us it is nothing.
I didn't say £100 over 5 years i said what if in 5 years you are spending £100 more per year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
You're kind of twisting his words dude and calling someone close minded because they aren't that impressed with the "New Tech" is a little out of order.
It's not out of order to say that, thinking only about the money saved on electricity IS a closed minded view point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Actually no you don't. Tom has a video somewhere running a GTX 780 Ti and i7 system on a 450W Corsair RM PSU just fine. There's no reason an AMD FX CPU is going to change the picture that much.
Yes i know about the video, the max power usage of that system was 439W and it is not a good idea to run a power supply at near 100% load which is why tom actually recommended in that video a 600W power supply (that's why i said 600w in my post...), my 650-700w estimation for AMD isn't something i have tested but with how much more power it is commonly known for an FX8000 series cpu to use compared to the cpu used in that video its a pretty reasonable estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
That isn't to say Maxwell isn't seriously impressive, the perf/W numbers are amazing, but Power Consumption on the desktop isn't nearly the issue people make it out to be. One would swear the electricity costs were like $100/kWhr, but they're not.
Noone is saying that electricity is the most expensive thing in the world... the whole point my post was that there are many OTHER reasons why energy efficiency is important... you can't just say that because your specific graphics card runs fine that it doesn't matter...

You see where my "closed minded" accusation comes from guys?...Quote

19-09-2014, 07:08:50

MrKambo
question is has anyone got one yet??

Im personally waiting for after market cooking solutions before i get mineQuote

19-09-2014, 07:26:13

Zoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaspeed2 View Post
Yes i know about the video, the max power usage of that system was 439W and it is not a good idea to run a power supply at near 100% load
Do you have real-world data to actually say that a power supply is more likely to fail when ran at near 100% load as opposed to 60% load?

I'm betting you don't, and I can tell you that the manufacturer will guarantee their performance at 100% load 24/7 for 100% of the warranty duration, which in the case of Corsair is 7 years. Every electronics manufacturer has to be sure the system will work at the worst case scenario for the max amount of time, otherwise they can't guarantee the warranty duration.

There's no disclaimer from the manufacturer saying "Oh, you can only use 100% load for 2minutes per month", I've yet to see one anyway after doing this whole DIY PC thing for nearly a decade now.

Again, like I said, it's off-topic, so if you want to get into PSU loads, start a new thread.Quote

19-09-2014, 07:29:36

megaspeed2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Do you have real-world data to actually say that a power supply is more likely to fail when ran at near 100% load as opposed to 60% load?

I'm betting you don't, and I can tell you that the manufacturer will guarantee their performance at 100% load 24/7 for 100% of the warranty duration, which in the case of Corsair is 7 years. Every electronics manufacturer has to be sure the system will work at the worst case scenario for the max amount of time, otherwise they can't guarantee the warranty duration.

There's no disclaimer from the manufacturer saying "Oh, you can only use 100% load for 2minutes per month", I've yet to see one anyway after doing this whole DIY PC thing for nearly a decade now.

Again, like I said, it's off-topic, so if you want to get into PSU loads, start a new thread.
Are you just here to argue? It was you who brought up toms PSU video and fact is in that video a 600W power supply was recomended which is what I said. Don't bring something up and then disagree with it again when it suits your pointless arguing.

(FYI I didn't say a power supply is likely to fail if run at 100% load, so if you go by what I actually said which is simply that it isn't a good idea to run a power supply at 100% load constantly there IS real world data to support that and you just have to go to the corsair website and look at the datasheets which show that above 80% load the efficiency of the power supply drops off and therefore it is recommended to buy a power supply that has enough headroom to max out around 80% load.)Quote

19-09-2014, 07:45:11

Zoot
Awww... I just post pointless arguing and have a totally closed mind. I didn't know that.

Whatever dude... If you want to get your panties in a twist over power consumption when it's really not an issue then that's your prerogative. It's not my job to think for you, carry on.Quote

19-09-2014, 07:57:00

megaspeed2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Awww... I just post pointless arguing and have a totally closed mind. I didn't know that.

Whatever dude... If you want to get your panties in a twist over power consumption when it's really not an issue then that's your prerogative. It's not my job to think for you, carry on.
hey at least i'm not scampering to make any argument I can even disagreeing with my own statements just to try and win an argument...Quote

19-09-2014, 08:07:44

Zoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKambo View Post
question is has anyone got one yet??

Im personally waiting for after market cooking solutions before i get mine
Are they even listed anywhere around here yet?

I'm not seeing them on any of the places I normally go to for PC hardware.Quote

19-09-2014, 08:42:44

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaspeed2 View Post
It's not about the money you save on electricity, that is such a closed minded view point. It's about the fact that power usage has been going up and up over the years, back in the day a 400W power supply could run a high end PC, now you need 600W to reliably run a GTX780 or R9 290 based system, 650-700 if you use an AMD FX8320 or higher CPU.
And the problem with that is?

If you're going to worry about power usage, get something truely efficient, like a low end system Quote

19-09-2014, 09:35:51

megaspeed2
I explained what the problem is, more power means more heat means less performance, prime example is the r9 290.Quote

19-09-2014, 09:48:42

MrKambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Are they even listed anywhere around here yet?

I'm not seeing them on any of the places I normally go to for PC hardware.
overclockers have some, for immediate dispatch Quote

19-09-2014, 10:19:39

Kaapstad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKambo View Post
overclockers have some, for immediate dispatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKambo View Post
question is has anyone got one yet??

Im personally waiting for after market cooking solutions before i get mine
Gibbo sold over 100 in the first half hour or so and a lot of the guys should get them tomorrow.

I also saw some bench figures Gibbo did and he got some very big overclocks on air.Quote

19-09-2014, 10:22:59

MrKambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
Gibbo sold over 100 in the first half hour or so and a lot of the guys should get them tomorrow.

I also saw some bench figures Gibbo did and he got some very big overclocks on air.
No way!! I would get one now, but the reference cooler wont match the rig's theme!!Quote

19-09-2014, 17:47:12

Bartacus
Great review Tom, with many good points made. I for one love the lower power consumption and aggressive pricing, and I hope AMD follows suit. I'd love to see that same aggressive pricing with the top of the line cards, even though I know that won't happen.Quote

19-09-2014, 18:15:22

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKambo View Post
No way!! I would get one now, but the reference cooler wont match the rig's theme!!
You did watch Toms review didn't you ?

He did say going even from a 780 is a little "Meh" *I'm paraphrasing but you get the point*Quote

19-09-2014, 19:02:31

BigBlue1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
I wouldn't get too excited about power consumption numbers, since generally electricity is pretty cheap, here it's like €0.12/kWhr. The actual saving you'll make in the year with the number of hours I spend gaming in the week is miniscule, even if you compare the 290X to the 980.

Having said that though, the perf/W numbers are darn impressive. Here's waiting for what AMD have up their sleeves. Hopefully we'll have an exciting back and forth between Nvidia and AMD again, just like last year.

EDIT: To put numbers on my "miniscule" claim:

For me, the cost saving in using a 980 over a 290X is just €20/yr, I wasn't expecting it to be that low.
How silly, that's per computer, if there are a billion (conservative estimate) computers, do you see the savings to the world yet??

For crying out loud, I have 12 computers in my home alone, I am not even connected to the electrical grid (I use solar and wind) and I am very concerned about the power consumption of devices in the world today. Just the so called 'vampiring' of systems on standby draw a huge amount of the global energy produced, enough to bring (free) electricity to many communities in the world without power.

You need to see the big picture to understand the need for power reduction in the things we do.Quote

19-09-2014, 19:09:55

TPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
How silly, that's per computer, if there are a billion (conservative estimate) computers, do you see the savings to the world yet??

For crying out loud, I have 12 computers in my home alone, I am not even connected to the electrical grid (I use solar and wind) and I am very concerned about the power consumption of devices in the world today. Just the so called 'vampiring' of systems on standby draw a huge amount of the global energy produced, enough to bring (free) electricity to many communities in the world without power.

You need to see the big picture to understand the need for power reduction in the things we do.
But then we should just start with the little things, a pc with the screen off and in idle uses about 50W (if the hardware is from the last 2-3 years) The lamps here in the room i'm in use 100W and there are 5 of them so 500W and I cant shut them off if I leave the room, and I see also many who let the light burn all night. that may not be 100W Bulbs but still maybe 40W, its ridiculous how much is wasted alone with that factQuote

19-09-2014, 19:12:46

BigBlue1
I have gone through the whole house and yard and installed led bulbs in all lamp sockets, that's one easy and painless reduction.
I agree with your premise entirely, it's why I believe every watt counts. if everyone saved 1 watt a day, that's huge.Quote

19-09-2014, 20:50:55

MrKambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
You did watch Toms review didn't you ?

He did say going even from a 780 is a little "Meh" *I'm paraphrasing but you get the point*
i dont have a gpu currently, Shaun has my 780, he's had it for a couple of months nowQuote

19-09-2014, 21:03:09

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKambo View Post
i dont have a gpu currently, Shaun has my 780, he's had it for a couple of months now
Ahh ok then Quote

19-09-2014, 21:23:33

altshep123
Lower power consumption means easier overclocking and cooler temps plain and simple. The fact that these cards perform just above a 780ti at significantly lower power draw is awesome no matter which way you cut it.

Performance wise, you'd be a fool to upgrade from a 770+ unless you have disposable income for this sort of thing. If that's you, you probably have your 4k monitors ready and raging for more power anyway : )Quote

20-09-2014, 04:43:07

Zoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
How silly, that's per computer, if there are a billion (conservative estimate) computers, do you see the savings to the world yet??

For crying out loud, I have 12 computers in my home alone, I am not even connected to the electrical grid (I use solar and wind) and I am very concerned about the power consumption of devices in the world today. Just the so called 'vampiring' of systems on standby draw a huge amount of the global energy produced, enough to bring (free) electricity to many communities in the world without power.

You need to see the big picture to understand the need for power reduction in the things we do.
To be honest, if those kind of power draws from the wall are actually an issue for you. Then you've far bigger problems on your hands in any standard house irrespective of the number of PCs you've got.

What about your kettle? your microwave? your cooker? your washing machine? your dishwasher? your electric central heating (if you have it) ? All of those have much higher power requirements than, often several times that of a high-end desktop pc.

The "big picture" argument about green energy is fine, but there are far far bigger fish to fry than pc hardware enthusiasts' systems.Quote

20-09-2014, 15:40:41

BigBlue1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
To be honest, if those kind of power draws from the wall are actually an issue for you. Then you've far bigger problems on your hands in any standard house irrespective of the number of PCs you've got.

What about your kettle? your microwave? your cooker? your washing machine? your dishwasher? your electric central heating (if you have it) ? All of those have much higher power requirements than, often several times that of a high-end desktop pc.

The "big picture" argument about green energy is fine, but there are far far bigger fish to fry than pc hardware enthusiasts' systems.
I have an induction stove and a convection oven, both are the state of the art in efficiency. I heat with gas. My washer and dryer are also the most efficient available.

You are right, there are items in a home that use more energy than a PC, but to say that it (PC energy consumption) is insignificant is just wrong. I think it is important to consider the global impact of everything we do before making a choice. If you have a choice that lets you do something that you need to do with less impact and you choose not to do it, you are being shortsighted. What will your legacy be? What will your great, great grandchildren's lives look like?
I am just saying to think before you buy and buy wisely, if you think that is bad advice, I cannot help you, no one can.Quote

20-09-2014, 15:45:21

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
I have an induction stove and a convection oven, both are the state of the art in efficiency. I heat with gas. My washer and dryer are also the most efficient available.

You are right, there are items in a home that use more energy than a PC, but to say that it (PC energy consumption) is insignificant is just wrong. I think it is important to consider the global impact of everything we do before making a choice. If you have a choice that lets you do something that you need to do with less impact and you choose not to do it, you are being shortsighted. What will your legacy be? What will your great, great grandchildren's lives look like?
I am just saying to think before you buy and buy wisely, if you think that is bad advice, I cannot help you, no one can.
It's a computer easy with the speeches, By the time our great great great grand children are our age they will have computers like ours but in their watches that use less than 1 watt so easy with the legacy speeches and "advice" eh ? Quote

21-09-2014, 00:16:51

BigBlue1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
It's a computer easy with the speeches, By the time our great great great grand children are our age they will have computers like ours but in their watches that use less than 1 watt so easy with the legacy speeches and "advice" eh ?
Sure you are right, Buy without any thought, waste your money and regret all your purchases. You're advice is better. Quote

21-09-2014, 01:48:06

shambles1980
just to point out withthis energy efficiency stuff.
it does all add up you know, i spend £5 a week less on electricity after changing 2 things in my house.
(changed a crt tv to one of those flat pannel things, and changed a oc'd q6600 to an oc'd i5-2500k)
il admit i do pay a LOT per kwh here in the rural parts of north wales. so it add up faster for me than it would for some one in america who generally pay 4x less than i do per kwh for electicity. (around 19p pkwh then they add on a charge every week too)

so it does add up. if you get the most energy efficient everything you can. "including your pc components" without overly sacrificing performance. you will make a signifigant change to your annual bill.

i am actually quite interested in this gpu. although my wife will never let me pay that much for a gpu so i will have to wait till its second hand for about £50.Quote

21-09-2014, 03:25:14

Kushiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
Sure you are right, Buy without any thought, waste your money and regret all your purchases. You're advice is better.
[/B]
I don't see how that poster is buying without any though, wasting their money or regretting all their purchases. Everyone is entitled to their own point of view... Yours is that the little power that you save (in comparison to the worlds usage) will become a legacy for the future generations of your family..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
If you have a choice that lets you do something that you need to do with less impact and you choose not to do it, you are being shortsighted
Again, personal opinion/choice... A person who choses to not do something that minimizes impact would should not be called short sighted, sometimes the cost outweighs the benefits. I am sure if anyone was offered a PC that had the same performance with only ~± 5% extra cost, people would be more than happy to make the change.

I am not really one to judge since I am using about 150W during idle for my PC haha, and the above is my personal opinion, but still.

@Dicehunter: What happened to your sig and all? Couldnt even tell it was you for a sec haha. and 1W of power hmmmmmQuote

26-09-2014, 07:08:53

steverebo
Do you think an AX860 psu could handle 2 of these and an over clocked 4790k?Quote

26-09-2014, 07:11:10

SieB
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverebo View Post
Do you think an AX860 psu could handle 2 of these and an over clocked 4790k?
Easily, you could run 2x780Ti or 2x290X on 860W 2x980 will be no probs.Quote
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.