MSI GTX580 Lightning Review

Introduction and Technical Specifications

MSI GTX580 Lightning Review

Introduction

Marketing is always full of semantics. Companies love to proclaim their card as the 'Fastest in the World'. Sometimes that's true only because there is more than one GPU on the board. So the HD6990 is the Fastest Graphics Card in the World, but not the fastest single GPU.

For those of us in the know, we always respect being able to do the most with the least, which is why the GTX580, the "Fastest Single GPU in the World" always makes us smile and drool, in equal quantities. Anyone can be super-fast with a multi-card setup. To have crushing performance from a single chip, that's something special.

In case the standard GTX580 isn't quite enough for you though you might look to a pre-overclocked model. If you've been around OC3D for a little bit you know how highly we rate the Twin Frozr cooling solution from MSI and here we have a Twin Frozr equipped, pre-overclocked model in the form of the MSI GTX580 Lightning.

Seems like a perfect combination. Is it?

Tech Specs

Out of the box the Lightning is overclocked on the Core all the way up to 832MHz which should provide more than a handy boost. The GDDR5 Memory is pushed from 4000MHz up to 4200MHz to ensure that it's not left behind that monster core.

Graphics Engine GeForce GTX 580
Bus Standard PCI Express x16 2.0
Memory Type GDDR5
Memory Size(MB) 1536
Memory Interface 384 bits
Core Clock Speed(MHz) 832
Memory Clock Speed(MHz) 4200
Memory Bandwidth(GB/sec) N/A
Texture Fill Rate(billion/sec) N/A
DVI Output 2
D-SUB Output 2(optional, via DVI to D-Sub adaptor)
HDMI-Output 2(Optional, via Mini HDMI to HDMI dongle)
Mini HDMI-Output 1
TV-Output N/A
DisplayPort N/A
Mini DisplayPort N/A
VIVO(Video-in/out) N/A
HDTV Support N/A
HDCP Support Y
HDMI Support Y
Dual-link DVI Y
Display Ouput(Max Resolution) 2560x1600
RAMDACs 400
DirectX Version Support 11
OpenGL Version Support 4.0
SLI Support Y
3-way SLI Y

 

Let's take a closer look.

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next»

Most Recent Comments

25-03-2011, 07:36:28

tinytomlogan
We finally get our hands on MSIs long awaited Lightning version of the already brilliant GTX580. Was it worth the wait?



Continue Reading

25-03-2011, 07:53:56

adamjamesroe
AHHHHH! so that was what it was. all the secracy when reviewing the H2

25-03-2011, 08:01:35

SnW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

Was it worth the wait?
IMO the MSI GPU's (FRZ) are always worth the wait

Thanks VB for the review

25-03-2011, 08:13:26

steve30x
Did you need to bump the voltage to get that kind of OC? I am tempted to OC my Palit GTX580 because it has the palit's cooler with two cooling fans on it. I just dont know what voltages are needed to OC these cards. The default voltage on my card is 1.0v

25-03-2011, 08:33:06

dugdiamond
Mmmm - tri-SLI too - me like

25-03-2011, 08:36:08

Zeals
I just had an accident after looking at the results, brb.

25-03-2011, 08:42:36

Zeals
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdiamond View Post

Mmmm - tri-SLI too - me like
If you get this in tri-SLI I think your monitor might explode.

25-03-2011, 09:14:11

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve30x View Post

Did you need to bump the voltage to get that kind of OC? I am tempted to OC my Palit GTX580 because it has the palit's cooler with two cooling fans on it. I just dont know what voltages are needed to OC these cards. The default voltage on my card is 1.0v
every GPU is different, the point about overclocking is testing it to get the best out of your card.

25-03-2011, 10:57:56

Pedros
So, one question ... what was the voltage to reach 960Mhz, can you specify? i'm really interested in this card... was going for the 590 but after the recent turn downs with the cards and VRM not being strong enough to hold overclock, i see my self going for a OC friend card.



Thanks

25-03-2011, 11:02:17

steve30x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedros View Post

So, one question ... what was the voltage to reach 960Mhz, can you specify? i'm really interested in this card... was going for the 590 but after the recent turn downs with the cards and VRM not being strong enough to hold overclock, i see my self going for a OC friend card.



Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

every GPU is different, the point about overclocking is testing it to get the best out of your card.
Thats the answer I got.

25-03-2011, 11:06:25

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve30x View Post

Thats the answer I got.
You asked about your palit and thats a completely different card. So answering your question was pointless and would have got you no where but a hot card.

25-03-2011, 11:08:26

steve30x
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

You asked about your palit and thats a completely different card. So answering your question was pointless and would have got you no where but a hot card.
Fair enough , but I was just showing that person what I was told which is the same answer to them because it was the same question.

25-03-2011, 11:23:44

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve30x View Post

Fair enough , but I was just showing that person what I was told which is the same answer to them because it was the same question.
He asked about the lightning specifically.

25-03-2011, 11:32:31

steve30x
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

He asked about the lightning specifically.
OH right. I didnt know that.

25-03-2011, 16:48:58

AMDFTW
awsome review,awsome results and one very nice looking card

25-03-2011, 16:49:41

Black
I want this card

Shame there is no gtx570 like this one.

25-03-2011, 17:08:46

Grizzly
I want this card, and I'm fairly sure I'm going to get this card. Just need to find a job for the Easter holiday.

25-03-2011, 18:04:28

Jerome
Excellent! I like these MSI enhanced hig-end cards, totaly pukka! more power, more frequency, more MORE !

Thanks

26-03-2011, 01:27:02

JCBenton
>finish reading review

>finish watching video review

>read comments

>"nvidia fanboy"

>slam my face onto the desk

26-03-2011, 01:34:35

ahboyhan
20,000++ PPD on a 580 is insane!!

26-03-2011, 19:51:11

PCTwin
Awesome review, Tom.

Have these dip switches on the card really taken away the need to volt mod.

Nice

26-03-2011, 20:04:57

DT-525
Can some one tell me how the SLI would work on this card because there seems to be no room where the SLI connectors are. I mean it would be fine for the bottom card but the top card would have heatsink in the way. What gives

27-03-2011, 06:19:45

Icekube
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT-525 View Post

Can some one tell me how the SLI would work on this card because there seems to be no room where the SLI connectors are. I mean it would be fine for the bottom card but the top card would have heatsink in the way. What gives
I think the extra piece of black metal running above the sli fingers looks like it's for support, and there looks to be a big enough gap to run the sli bridge though, but I'm buggered if I know how you' fit a 3 way sli bridge as they're usually pretty rigid

27-03-2011, 06:41:14

coolgame
will the warranty be voided on this card if it is overvolted/oced?

27-03-2011, 06:47:18

Grizzly
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgame View Post

will the warranty be voided on this card if it is overvolted/oced?
lol

27-03-2011, 14:53:13

coolgame
manufacturers do give away many surprises with gpus.like the gainward gtx 570 phantom that tom reviewed had a superb cooler but no voltage mods.if u did the warranty is voided.it is funny but still cant help asking

28-03-2011, 08:53:15

bogami
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

We finally get our hands on MSIs long awaited Lightning version of the already brilliant GTX580. Was it worth the wait?



Continue Reading
When will you lrn to disable PPU on ventige setings ppl plz made as reale tests! Lowe to get at list SLI Lightneng GTX 580 I didnt see any SLI tests for Lightneng GTX 580 yet

28-03-2011, 09:25:27

jonowee
Please type slowly and softly fresher bogami. You're welcome.

28-03-2011, 10:02:16

steve30x
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogami View Post

When will you lrn to disable PPU on ventige setings ppl plz made as reale tests! Lowe to get at list SLI Lightneng GTX 580 I didnt see any SLI tests for Lightneng GTX 580 yet
What language are you typing there? I dont understand what you are trying to say and I am sure the reviewers dont have a clue either.

28-03-2011, 11:23:25

Godsmack
All MSI Twin Forza series beat the others brands

29-03-2011, 09:53:19

Zeals
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve30x View Post

What language are you typing there? I dont understand what you are trying to say and I am sure the reviewers dont have a clue either.
Here's what I think he said.

"When will you learn to disable PPU (Nvidia Physx) on 3D Mark Vantage. People, please make real tests. I'll love to get at least GTX580 Lightnings in SLI. I haven't seen any SLI tests for GTX 580 Lightning Yet."

I don't think English is his first language.

29-03-2011, 10:21:26

jonowee
I don't mind the common spelling and punctuation mistakes; but honestly, ppl shd lrn to plz stp usn' shit like that. Even I don't do that for SMSs or tweets; it just smells lazy all over, or some fanboy wanting to troll anonymously.

30-03-2011, 17:09:04

CLB
Any word on release date?

31-03-2011, 02:45:05

Grizzly
Overclockers have it listed to be released on the 31st, today.

13-04-2011, 04:41:43

neliz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post

I want this card

Shame there is no gtx570 like this one.
Well Actually .. there is a N570GTX Power Edition.. also sporting the Twin Frozr III cooler.

13-04-2011, 04:44:34

steve30x
It would be nice to be able to buy that cooler seperatly.

17-04-2011, 05:11:05

SieJoe
Damit now what do I do. I bought the 480 lightning after your last review and while I loved at first the 580s started to role out a month later!

Thinking of getting 580 lightning and selling my 480; there is not a 680 coming out next month is there?

I'm hoping to get 1GHz stable on water. Could only get 960 with my 480.

Loving the site BTW & the video reviews you have the best job in the world! Keep up the good work!

26-04-2011, 19:37:28

the cod god
i love the way you could buy a 6990 for only 50 more than this card

28-04-2011, 07:42:20

SieJoe
Or get 2x 6950/70s in CF which would be the better option performance wise.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.