ASUS ROG Poseidon GTX780 Review

Introduction and Technical Specifications

ASUS ROG Poseidon GTX780 Review

Introduction

Poseidon is the Greek God of the sea, which should give you a clue as to the party piece of the ASUS ROG Poseidon.

Water-cooling is helpful for CPUs but almost demanded for graphics cards given their huge work-loading and subsequent heat. Heat has to be dispersed as quickly as possible to keep the card running at its optimum. Also, although CPUs respond well to overclocking in purely calculative tasks, the majority of PCs are gaming ones and graphics cards give a much bigger performance increase when overclocked on a stock CPU when compared to an overclocked CPU and a stock graphics card. 

Heat is the enemy to high-overclocks and also noise. With more and more computers being part of the home, rather than tucked away in a bedroom or spare room, then the ability to game without deafening the rest of your family is vital. Finally the nVidia GPU Boost 2.0 technology is now refined to a point that if you can give it a huge amount of thermal headroom you can obtain results that would be extremely difficult to replicate on air.

Of course water-cooling requires the purchase of a third-party waterblock which is an extra expense and one guaranteed to invalidate your warranty. If only you could have the best of both worlds. The convenience of air, the cooling option of water, and no need to break out the screwdriver. Enter the ASUS Poseidon.

Technical Specifications

In pure specification terms the Poseidon seems like any other GTX780. However, as we'll see on the next page, specifications don't tell the whole story.

ASUS ROG Poseidon GTX780 Review

Take a look at the card up close with our RushKit video below - the full OC3D TV review is in the conclusion where it always is


 

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next»

Most Recent Comments

27-01-2014, 06:07:26

tinytomlogan
http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...120753315l.JPG

Today we're looking at the ASUS Poseidon GTX780, combining water-cooling with air-cooling to be all things to all men.


Continue Reading

27-01-2014, 06:10:26

maniac
Tom, one small suggestion, usually I'm not a grammar Nazi as long as I understand what anyone is trying to say but the way you pronounce "Poseidon" made me cringe when I was watching the Rushkit video

27-01-2014, 06:23:56

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
Tom, one small suggestion, usually I'm not a grammar Nazi as long as I understand what anyone is trying to say but the way you pronounce "Poseidon" made me cringe when I was watching the Rushkit video
Thats not grammar though

27-01-2014, 06:28:05

maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Thats not grammar though
Pronounciation Nazi sounded weird in my head :P

27-01-2014, 06:59:27

SieB
I really like this card, it looks absolutely awesome. In my opinion though Asus need to drop the price by 30-40 to further distance that gap between full cover and this hybrid cooler.

Personally, if I was going all out to watercool my rig and considering the costs of the Poseidon is the same as a 780 with a full cover block, I would go for the full cover over this.
But, if the price of the Poseidon was that 30-40 cheaper then I (and many others) would be more than likely to go for it.

For the convenience and warranty issues and all the rest of it, it is worth it though.

27-01-2014, 07:13:10

Watsyerproblem
I really do like this card, very good design. A well deserved innovation award.

It was a shame ASUS were unable to change it to a 780Ti variant, but that's more nvidia's fault than anyone else, releasing a new gaming flagship without any notice.

I do hope we will see more cards of this design in the future.

27-01-2014, 07:26:57

Davva2004
A good review, but I'm afraid I personally wouldn't choose this card over a standard reference card, full coverage block and backplate.

27-01-2014, 07:44:11

paulstung
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
Tom, one small suggestion, usually I'm not a grammar Nazi as long as I understand what anyone is trying to say but the way you pronounce "Poseidon" made me cringe when I was watching the Rushkit video
I feel your pain mate, it's like scratching a blackboard to me.

Is it a deliberate thing though as in posser idon.... I don't now. Its Poseidon, as in the Greek god of the seas.......

27-01-2014, 12:05:39

Permafrost
awesome review TTL, i've been looking forward to this review for some time!

27-01-2014, 12:09:24

MadShadow
Great review as always, but yeah "poseidon"...
At least your being creative

27-01-2014, 18:30:05

Mysterae
Great review, and many thanks for "unflashing" and reordering the charts, much appreciated.

As TTL says, it's a difficult card to position in the market. More expensive than both an air cooled or water block'd card, but warranty stays intact. Shame about not getting additional performance from water flowing through it.

I can see the type of person this card is aimed at. A bit risk averse, not quite ready to go full water cooling right away but will soon.

Thinking out of the box, if they had the water connections at the bottom of the card so that the water channels passed by the power circuit may have helped - by how much I don't know, but would have made the card too long and difficult to fit.

I do hope Asus and other manufacturers take this further; a great challenge and opportunity to innovate.

27-01-2014, 19:27:14

Bartacus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterae View Post
I can see the type of person this card is aimed at. A bit risk averse, not quite ready to go full water cooling right away but will soon.

I do hope Asus and other manufacturers take this further; a great challenge and opportunity to innovate.
Agreed on both points!

Great review Tom, innovative product indeed. Is it possible to set up a fan profile bound to VRM temps for people using the water block?

27-01-2014, 21:47:47

murphy7801
I reckon the lightning with the new drivers probably do better but difference between two generally wasnt that far.

27-01-2014, 23:01:28

murphy7801
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
Tom, one small suggestion, usually I'm not a grammar Nazi as long as I understand what anyone is trying to say but the way you pronounce "Poseidon" made me cringe when I was watching the Rushkit video
In defence Asus want to have there name pronounced a-zesus so maybe thats how they say it....

28-01-2014, 05:36:11

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Agreed on both points!

Great review Tom, innovative product indeed. Is it possible to set up a fan profile bound to VRM temps for people using the water block?

Theres no VRM probe or I would have reported on it

28-01-2014, 05:40:13

Vicey
I like that more and more companies parts companies are providing stock solutions for watercooling options for enthusiasts. A great trend.

Maybe the next card I purchase (GTX 880 or whatever) will be one like this that is "water ready".

28-01-2014, 05:42:44

Vlada011
Elpida attack again...
This model is I think Elpida infected too, same as R9-290X DirectCUII, MSI GTX780 Lightening and one batch GTX780 Classified.

28-01-2014, 14:08:44

murphy7801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada011 View Post
Elpida attack again...
This model is I think Elpida infected too, same as R9-290X DirectCUII, MSI GTX780 Lightening and one batch GTX780 Classified.
I havent heard of this?

28-01-2014, 16:08:16

Davva2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada011 View Post
Elpida attack again...
This model is I think Elpida infected too, same as R9-290X DirectCUII, MSI GTX780 Lightening and one batch GTX780 Classified.
Neither has Google. What are you on about mate?

28-01-2014, 16:19:49

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davva2004 View Post
Neither has Google. What are you on about mate?
Elpida Memory is worse performing compared to Samsung memory for GPUs usually. Its the memory that gives some 290x users issues.Its also, slightly less well performing. I only really found out about it from the evga forum, where a certain somebody is commenting on the thread regarding the memory. (look, look)

28-01-2014, 16:55:21

murphy7801
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Elpida Memory is worse performing compared to Samsung memory for GPUs usually. Its the memory that gives some 290x users issues.Its also, slightly less well performing. I only really found out about it from the evga forum, where a certain somebody is commenting on the thread regarding the memory. (look, look)
How are you certain that all these cards has this memory have you checked the cards?

28-01-2014, 17:04:46

Vlada011
ASUS GTX780 Poseidon

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/834/3iz3.jpg

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smart...id=1191&page=1


ASUS R9-290X DC2

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/849/q04k.jpg

ASUS GTX780Ti DC2 have Hynix if I saw good on some pictures between pipes and cooler.

28-01-2014, 17:12:20

Davva2004
Thanks for the info, I had no idea about this.

28-01-2014, 17:20:00

Vlada011
We can't say Elpida is bad, that memory work and you can OC 100-150MHz, better to say Hynix is crazy good, more than anyone expect...For gaming difference is maybe 1-2 fps but in benchmarks you are completely out of competition with such memory against someone with Hynix, Samsung, and good graphic chip can't compensate that...Simply for high clock on GPU you need and support of memory, better scaling,...Even 100MHz better OC on GPU can't compensate Elpida vs Hynix...

28-01-2014, 18:23:20

murphy7801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada011 View Post
We can't say Elpida is bad, that memory work and you can OC 100-150MHz, better to say Hynix is crazy good, more than anyone expect...For gaming difference is maybe 1-2 fps but in benchmarks you are completely out of competition with such memory against someone with Hynix, Samsung, and good graphic chip can't compensate that...Simply for high clock on GPU you need and support of memory, better scaling,...Even 100MHz better OC on GPU can't compensate Elpida vs Hynix...
Oh Im familar with Hynix & samsung just wasnt aware of Elpida. Well go check my lightnings shortly curiour now.

28-01-2014, 18:27:21

barnsley
Elpida is used in some 290xs.Specifically the ones which black screen it seems (google it). They also get hotter from what I've read (don't quote me though). They supposedly affect hash rates for mining as well.

28-01-2014, 19:24:25

murphy7801
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Elpida is used in some 290xs.Specifically the ones which black screen it seems (google it). They also get hotter from what I've read (don't quote me though). They supposedly affect hash rates for mining as well.
Well quality of components used is important for legevity under overclocks so good to know more. One reasons like MSI militrary class stuff since its a establish standard.

29-01-2014, 02:35:01

ahimoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
I really do like this card, very good design. A well deserved innovation award.

It was a shame ASUS were unable to change it to a 780Ti variant, but that's more nvidia's fault than anyone else, releasing a new gaming flagship without any notice.

I do hope we will see more cards of this design in the future.
That would push the price of the card well over the $1,000 dollar mark here in Australia O.o Time to get a job :P

29-01-2014, 05:03:21

Vlada011
I didn't know Elpida can affect on hash rate for mining at all and that is than very bad choice of ASUS because they done that after MSI and EVGA. EVGA fast change on Samsung and ASUS should change for Radeon cards special because memory and VRM on Radeon is always hotter than on NVIDIA and now I hear influence on hash rate...That is now such situation, next year Elpida can be good and Hynix crap...
You never know.
Hynix was nice on series 7900 and I don't know why they didn't install on Hawaii R9-290X DC2.

29-01-2014, 05:20:48

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada011 View Post
I didn't know Elpida can affect on hash rate for mining at all and that is than very bad choice of ASUS because they done that after MSI and EVGA. EVGA fast change on Samsung and ASUS should change for Radeon cards special because memory and VRM on Radeon is always hotter than on NVIDIA and now I hear influence on hash rate...That is now such situation, next year Elpida can be good and Hynix crap...
You never know.
Hynix was nice on series 7900 and I don't know why they didn't install on Hawaii R9-290X DC2.
I dunno, I think Asus just cheaped out recently, especially on the 290x DCUII. The VRM isn't always hotter, I know my 280x's VRAM runs cooler then my friends 670 for example. Depends on the cooler, although the 290x does have memory that runs hot without proper attention/cooling.

18-02-2014, 00:11:42

jackjack
Great review Tom
Water Cooling + warranty + intact card = Poseidon
Poseidon in two/three way SLI looks GREAT

and guys Thanks for the additional info's about Elpida and Hynix stuff
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.