ASUS ENGTX260 TOP 896MB (NVIDIA GTX260)

Call of Duty 4 & BIOSHOCK

Call Of Duty 4
 
Call of Duty 4 is a stunning DirectX 9.0c based game that really looks awesome and has a very full feature set. With lots of advanced lighting, smoke and water effects, the game has excellent explosions along with fast gameplay. Using the in-built Call Of Duty features, a 10-minute long gameplay demo was recorded and replayed on each of the GPU's using the /timedemo command a total of 5 times. The highest and lowest FPS results were then removed, with an average being calculated from the remaining 3 results.
 
Call of Duty 4 - FPS
 
Call of Duty 4 - Cost Per Frame
 
Sitting just 6-7FPS behind the GTX280 at both 1280x1024 and 1900x1200 resolutions, the factory overclocked ASUS ENGTX260 certainly puts out some decent numbers. This also converts well to the CPF scale, with the ENGTX260 being over £2.00 cheaper than the GTX280 at 1900x1200 and £1.69 cheaper at 1280x1024.
 
Over on the red team, ATI's mid-range HD4850 may not be able to compete in the performance stakes, falling roughly 30FPS behind at both resolutions, but it certainly gives the best value out of all the cards on test, including the dual-GPU versions of its predecessors.
 
 
BIOSHOCK
 
BioShock is a recent FPS shooter by 2K games. Based on the UT3 engine, it has a large amount of advanced DirectX techniques including excellent water rendering and superb lighting and smoke techniques. All results were recorded using F.R.A.P.S with a total of 5 identical runs through the same area of the game. The highest and lowest results were then removed, with an average being calculated from the remaining 3 results.
 
BIOSHOCK - FPS
 
BIOSHOCK - CPF
 
BIOSHOCK mixes things up a bit, with only a few FPS between the HD4850 and the GTX260 at 1900x1200. The GTX280 and 9800GX2 take the top two performance spots here, but their high prices don't bode very well on the CPF scale. Once again, the GTX260 offers much better value than the GTX280, costing almost £2.00 less per frame at 1900x1200, but the HD4850 represents the best value, costing just £1.03 per frame at 1280x1024.
«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next»

Most Recent Comments

08-07-2008, 16:36:28

JN
"With a nice factory overclock and some cammo decals, how does thet ASUS ENGTX260 TOP compare to its bigger brother the GTX280"

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...125901312s.jpg

ASUS ENGTX260 TOP 896MB Review

08-07-2008, 16:49:32

Mr. Smith
Not bad, 280/260 still look lame compared to the gx2...

08-07-2008, 16:52:00

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
Not bad, 280/260 still look lame compared to the gx2...
Yeah it still rules the roost. Not sure if you've seen recently though but they are dropping off retailers sites like dead flies.

08-07-2008, 16:55:08

Mr. Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Yeah it still rules the roost. Not sure if you've seen recently though but they are dropping off retailers sites like dead flies.
Really? Not fussed, guess my resale value will be 1/4 of what I paid come '09 lol. If you hook me up with that 790 I might sli some for the craic... No. Resist. Well, for the right price, course I'd need a new psu too

Oh, nice to the point review!

Edit: Actually - I'm going to have to call you on the conclusion

While the GTX280 may still be the star of the show when it comes to performance

Now that just ain't true is it padre? GX2 is king

08-07-2008, 16:59:03

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'

Edit: Actually - I'm going to have to call you on the conclusion Now that just ain't true is it padre? GX2 is king
Give NVIDIA a call and ask them about the GX2...the response will be "WTF is a 9800GX2...we never made that. Look, check out (insert retailer), nothing there is there...eh...eh? Get with the times man and buy a GTX280 FTW!"

GX2 has been wiped off the face of the earth dude

08-07-2008, 17:07:25

Mr. Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Give NVIDIA a call and ask them about the GX2...the response will be "WTF is a 9800GX2...we never made that. Look, check out (insert retailer), nothing there is there...eh...eh? Get with the times man and buy a GTX280 FTW!"

GX2 has been wiped off the face of the earth dude
Well, whatever. My Dad would batter your Dad so stfu nublet lmfao.

Look, you can't argue with your pretty graphs can you? GX2 outperforms the 280. I believe the word you are looking for is pwnt.

08-07-2008, 17:10:10

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
Well, whatever. My Dad would batter your Dad so stfu nublet lmfao.

Look, you can't argue with your pretty graphs can you? GX2 outperforms the 280. I believe the word you are looking for is pwnt.
What type of batter are we talking about here? I've heard rumours that your dad is that way inclined.

08-07-2008, 17:14:11

Mr. Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
What type of batter are we talking about here? I've heard rumours that your dad is that way inclined.
That type. Lets face it, your dad loves being on the receiving end of bukkake, my dad enjoys ejaculating hence why they are good mates.

Prob best for both of us this conversation ends here? Lets just agree I'm right? Cool. nn

08-07-2008, 17:17:40

Toxcity
Woah, weird thread! <----- Was a weird thread.

Nice review Jimbo, not too bad a card.

I love my 9800Gx2. You can see why Nvidia wants it gone.. they were hopeing the GTX 280 would beat it. So really they shot themselves in the foot.

08-07-2008, 17:20:34

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Toxcity'
Woah, weird thread! <----- Was a weird thread.

Nice review Jimbo, not too bad a card.
Yeah...cleaning up Smithy's mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Toxcity'

I love my 9800Gx2. You can see why Nvidia wants it gone.. they were hopeing the GTX 280 would beat it. So really they shot themselves in the foot.
Yeah deffo.

08-07-2008, 17:26:00

Mr. Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Yeah...cleaning up Smithy's mess

Yeah deffo.
LOL! Jim you love it! Tox you do too... It's interesting nvidia are getting rid of the gx2... When more dx10 titles appear will the 280 then show its strength or is it a bit of a flop? You need to run more dx10 titles in future Mr. Napier. Now I really must go!

08-07-2008, 17:40:33

FarFarAway
Not keen on Nvidia this round really, the HD4850 is king of price performance but I want to see how the HD4870 does versus

08-07-2008, 17:50:51

w3bbo
I got a couple on the way next week (crosses fingers). Would still prefer to have the GX2's in Quad SLI - that setup just looked the dogs danglies tbh.

Gr8 review Jim as always.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.