ASUS EAH5870 V2 Review

Up Close

ASUS EAH5870

Up Close

Thanks to its exclusive tie-in with S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat the main design of the box is dominated by that very game.

ASUS EAH5870     ASUS EAH5870  

The box itself is the standard ASUS black and gold number with the crossfire cable, power adaptor leads and suchlike. Just in case anyone has made it this far without being aware of the exclusivity of the Call of Pripyat deal, they certainly are reminded upon getting down to the card.

ASUS EAH5870     ASUS EAH5870  

Here it is, the V2 in all its glory. Anyone who saw our Matrix review will recognise the design of the cooler, and it's as attractive here as it was there. A nice variant upon the red and black we see usually adorning the high end ATI card.

ASUS EAH5870     ASUS EAH5870  

The business end is, as you'd expect from a modified reference design, all exhaust and outputs. Patience, we're getting there.

Up the other end we see the two power connectors, 8 and 6-pin in this case, and the decent sized fan to pump cool air up the card.

ASUS EAH5870     ASUS EAH5870

Despite this looking at a glance like a reference design, there are some changes under the hood. The fan is robust and slightly larger than at stock. We can also just see a wedge of shiny copper that should help really give this good cooling.

ASUS EAH5870     ASUS EAH5870

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next»

Most Recent Comments

23-06-2010, 03:23:02

tinytomlogan
ASUS have updated their reference style 5870 to match the Matrix. How does it do on the bench?

Continue Reading

23-06-2010, 06:09:28

steve30x
That fan looks a good bit bigger than the reference fan. Is it quiet? I might be looking to get two of those.

23-06-2010, 06:28:37

Bungral
Hmmm this or wait for some kind of 5890......

23-06-2010, 06:30:19

tinytomlogan
Its a bloody good card tbh, voltage tweak, better cooler, still ref PCB for watercooling, great performer. And all for the same price as a normal 5870..... Tis a no brainer.

23-06-2010, 09:40:57

AMDFTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Bungral'
Hmmm this or wait for some kind of 5890......
that would be a beast

23-06-2010, 14:58:22

Br1t1shB33f
Excellent review... also well timed post as i was looking to buy one of these, and now have. Thx for the clear on consise manner in which you present the facts.

P.S does this come with the STALKER game ?

http://www.crescentelectronics.co.uk/asus-eah58702dis1gd5v2-graphics-adapter-radeon-hd-5870-1-gb.html

Thx in advance, Sean.

23-06-2010, 15:08:35

delusion77
My 4870x2 has decided to take a dump on my chest. It no longer works. I'm looking to buy a new 5870 to replace it.

I'm looking at either this fine card right here or the XFX HD-587X-ZNFV. I know that XFX offers a double-lifetime warranty & is modder friendly but Asus has voltage tweaking but I think they have a 3 year warranty...

As for price, they both cost $402 CAD. Any sugestions?

23-06-2010, 15:11:47

Br1t1shB33f
Delusion77 as far as i can tell this card has a 3 year warranty also the Cooling and overclockability make this card a hard one to look away from.

Please look at this link and see the Warranty info

http://www.crescentelectronics.co.uk/asus-eah58702dis1gd5v2-graphics-adapter-radeon-hd-5870-1-gb.html

23-06-2010, 15:16:43

Andrew Moore
A very nice card indeed. Saw one of these up close and personal a few weeks back and I have to say the unit is worth every penny! Its pushing gtx480 pricing at what is now similar performance but with the bonus of using masses less power this is certainly a card to consider when 400 is in the game to play with.

Andy

23-06-2010, 15:19:57

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Andrew Moore'
A very nice card indeed. Saw one of these up close and personal a few weeks back and I have to say the unit is worth every penny! Its pushing gtx480 pricing at what is now similar performance but with the bonus of using masses less power this is certainly a card to consider when 400 is in the game to play with.

Andy
I agree with all you say Andy, But i may be reading you wrong. But this card is retailing at the lower end of the 5870 price bracket. You can get 'um for 310+.

Which ofc is a great thing

23-06-2010, 15:21:54

Andrew Moore
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Br1t1shB33f'
I agree with all you say Andy, But i may be reading you wrong. But this card is retailing at the lower end of the 5870 price bracket. You can get 'um for 310+.

Which ofc is a great thing
Indeed.. was a typo lol.

Sorry

Andy

23-06-2010, 15:23:00

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Andrew Moore'
Indeed.. was a typo lol.

Sorry

Andy
No need to appologise :P But it would stop someone seeing the card loving it then seeing a price and running away screaming hehe :P:P

23-06-2010, 15:27:22

delusion77
Yea this card has been in my sights cuz of its excellent design but the XFX warrenty is nagging at me.

23-06-2010, 15:29:51

Br1t1shB33f
True but iv dealt with Asus all my PC Builder life and they are great and tbh the EAH5870 V2 doesnt require a modder warrenty because the truth be told it doent really need modding. (imho).

Take this as u will but i have heard that even though XFX offer this good warranty they take an age to deal with cards. But this is only my opinion.

Either way u will end up with a great card.

23-06-2010, 15:30:56

Andrew Moore
I personally dont think XFX are much cop... 4x anologue phase design vs the refernce 5x digital design?? ok.. the core may run cooler but the PWMs run horrendously hot and as such it hinders the OC... Poor design and disgusting value considering its more than a reference card yet has cheaper components... pfff

This asus secondary PCB is much better.

Andy

23-06-2010, 15:32:01

Br1t1shB33f
Wow good reply, i just learnt something there. thx andy

23-06-2010, 15:38:44

delusion77
Thanks for the input guys! I love Asus aswell, very good customer service and design. BTW, i think Andrew may have gotten confused because I stated the price in Canadian dollars ($402) which equals to about 260. I think this will be good replacement.

23-06-2010, 16:24:45

Andrew Moore
Either way delusion77 (typo or not) 300 is an app for this unit in GBP as the 5850 version on the same pcb is 256 at the moment. And if I had of meant 400 to play with (rather than 300) it could have been aimed at the reference price average of the gtx480... either way this unit is of far better value in terms of performance to overall cost ratio. (overall cost being inclusive of costs to electricity bill etc).

Andy

23-06-2010, 17:13:14

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Andrew Moore'
Either way delusion77 (typo or not) 300 is an app for this unit in GBP as the 5850 version on the same pcb is 256 at the moment. And if I had of meant 400 to play with (rather than 300) it could have been aimed at the reference price average of the gtx480... either way this unit is of far better value in terms of performance to overall cost ratio. (overall cost being inclusive of costs to electricity bill etc).

Andy
This is why i think Nvidia had a complete "Cheak" to launch a card so hot and power hungry and then have the audacity to charge through the teeth for it. I see this a as a fail for Fermi and with the Flop of the GTX465 as well i think nvidia need to hit the drawingboard.

23-06-2010, 17:43:38

delusion77
Well they kinda have. They are currently designing the GF104 which will be targeted to replace the G92 for good. so a solid mid ranged card to compete w/ the 5770. But I agree that ATI won this "generation" with the 57/58xx series vs 4xx and were a very good foe in the 4k series vs the 2xx. Nvidia will most likely have to reconsider their game plan now that ATI is back in business

27-06-2010, 18:43:02

Skiddywinks
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='delusion77'
Well they kinda have. They are currently designing the GF104 which will be targeted to replace the G92 for good. so a solid mid ranged card to compete w/ the 5770. But I agree that ATI won this "generation" with the 57/58xx series vs 4xx and were a very good foe in the 4k series vs the 2xx. Nvidia will most likely have to reconsider their game plan now that ATI is back in business
That is not starting from scratch at all. GF104 is just a cut down Fermi. They are all just derivatives. Hence, they will just as likely fail.

28-06-2010, 11:10:22

delusion77
It is not just a cut down Fermi. the GTX465 is a cut down Fermi which still uses the GF100 chip but with a lot of it disabled. thats why it costs too much and doesnt perform as well. I dont know what to expect from the "GTS460" but im sure nvidia will be making it cheaper ( doesnt mean it will sell cheap) and will probably out perfrom the 465

30-06-2010, 04:49:05

Luigi
Just noticed a little error ' 999MHz. Just one shy of the magic 1000GHz.'... 1000ghz would be quite an achievement!

08-07-2010, 22:46:23

delusion77
Alright! Got 1 of these babies in my pc.

09-07-2010, 01:35:58

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='delusion77'
Alright! Got 1 of these babies in my pc.
Nice one m8, please give me feedback on ur system and ur temps and clocks if u OC. i have one of these to and would like to see a comparison.

Kind regards Sean :P

09-07-2010, 05:09:41

Luigi
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Br1t1shB33f'
Nice one m8, please give me feedback on ur system and ur temps and clocks if u OC. i have one of these to and would like to see a comparison.

Kind regards Sean :P
I've got one of these too. My case isn't the best in the world when it comes to cooling, but I've still managed to put the core upto 900mhz without it going too far over the 80 degree mark (about 83 degs in games).

09-07-2010, 09:54:36

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Luigi'
I've got one of these too. My case isn't the best in the world when it comes to cooling, but I've still managed to put the core upto 900mhz without it going too far over the 80 degree mark (about 83 degs in games).
Nice to hear from you Luigi. Nice to see u got to 900mhz, btw have u clocked ur memory on the card or left it standard ?

My card is Running:

Vcore 1.212volts

Engine 902Mhz

Memory 4852Mhz

And my card getS to 61oc after a long session on GTA IV at Very high settings (between 24-60 fps)

09-07-2010, 11:11:35

Luigi
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Br1t1shB33f'
Nice to hear from you Luigi. Nice to see u got to 900mhz, btw have u clocked ur memory on the card or left it standard ?

My card is Running:

Vcore 1.212volts

Engine 902Mhz

Memory 4852Mhz

And my card getS to 61oc after a long session on GTA IV at Very high settings (between 24-60 fps)
wow, yours runs a lot cooler than mine! Im hoping to watercool mine soon, which will hopefully allow me to push it further - I have literally just upped the core to 900mhz, not overclocked the memory or anything..

09-07-2010, 11:41:32

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Luigi'
wow, yours runs a lot cooler than mine! Im hoping to watercool mine soon, which will hopefully allow me to push it further - I have literally just upped the core to 900mhz, not overclocked the memory or anything..
Are you running a 3rd party software like Smartdoctor or MSI afterburner because i am and am running custome fan settings (plz check pic). hope this helps you.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1328/smartdoctor.jpg

09-07-2010, 12:27:51

delusion77
Im liking it a lot. Played a bit with smartdoctor but i havn't set anything up for long term use. 1 thing i wish for is in smart doctor if you could specify what "slow" is on the fan speed. Default idle is 1130RPM, slow is

2445. If i could custom set the fan speeds it would be perfect.

Ill post back with some more results l8r

09-07-2010, 14:58:01

Br1t1shB33f
Been doing some testing on new Core settings 920mhz + getting alot of freezes, im not good at clocking with voltage i dont know whats safe tbh. Any ideas guys ?

09-07-2010, 15:22:24

delusion77
Iv managed to get stable @ 899/1235 on their stock voltage. Im using the smartcooling settings of 50,65,75,85. I havnt broken 80*c with that setup. just as a reference, in the review they used a voltage of 1.274 for 999Mhz.

benchmarks to come.

Update: Ran unigine heaven 2.0 @ 2048x1152, normal tessellation, 4x aniso and scored 859.029 with stock, and 890.972 with the overclock. max tem 64*c

Justcause 2 demo benchmark @ 2048x1152, 4xAA, 8x Aniso, all other settings maxed. Averaged 49.37fps

I need to OC this some more as these arnt cutting it

Update: now unigine giving me a score of 924.089 when i up the core clock to 951

JC2 is giving me 69.58 FPS! 20FPS for 50Mhz! I guess once u breach 900mhz you can see a gain thats actually worth it

just played the first level of bad company 2 and used fraps to benchmark. Got a avg of 70.32FPS, max temp was 68* running 2048x1152, dx11, all settings at high or on(except vsync), 4xmsaa, 4xaniso.

Id run crysis warhead as a benchmark. but i cant fin a benchmarking application that will work...and am to lazy to reinstall farcry 2 :P

09-07-2010, 18:02:43

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='delusion77'
Iv managed to get stable @ 899/1235 on their stock voltage. Im using the smartcooling settings of 50,65,75,85. I havnt broken 80*c with that setup. just as a reference, in the review they used a voltage of 1.274 for 999Mhz.

benchmarks to come.

Update: Ran unigine heaven 2.0 @ 2048x1152, normal tessellation, 4x aniso and scored 859.029 with stock, and 890.972 with the overclock. max tem 64*c

Justcause 2 demo benchmark @ 2048x1152, 4xAA, 8x Aniso, all other settings maxed. Averaged 49.37fps

I need to OC this some more as these arnt cutting it

Update: now unigine giving me a score of 924.089 when i up the core clock to 951

JC2 is giving me 69.58 FPS! 20FPS for 50Mhz! I guess once u breach 900mhz you can see a gain thats actually worth it

just played the first level of bad company 2 and used fraps to benchmark. Got a avg of 70.32FPS, max temp was 68* running 2048x1152, dx11, all settings at high or on(except vsync), 4xmsaa, 4xaniso.

Id run crysis warhead as a benchmark. but i cant fin a benchmarking application that will work...and am to lazy to reinstall farcry 2 :P
nice work m8, im running at 920mhz atm with 1.249volts as i cant get stable on 920 at base voltage (must be a poor GPU batch on mine) and ram is at 4860mhz. gunna try a 950mhz tomorrow afternoon see if i can get it stable.

09-07-2010, 18:23:05

delusion77
Im sure you can boost it up to 950. Im only just slightly over volted. I wish you good luck.

11-07-2010, 07:37:04

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='delusion77'
Im sure you can boost it up to 950. Im only just slightly over volted. I wish you good luck.
having real issues with my card not pc is freezing all the time now in GTA IV. Im unsure if its the card 100% but i dont think i can run my voltage tweak outside of default settings.

11-07-2010, 09:43:57

tinytomlogan
Really depends on the clocks and volts. Nearly every card should do 950core unless you have a doggy chip.

11-07-2010, 15:10:30

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='tinytomlogan'
Really depends on the clocks and volts. Nearly every card should do 950core unless you have a doggy chip.
This is what im begining to think. But im going to try slowly bring it up from 920mhz which its running at atm and add voltage to suit.

11-07-2010, 22:12:05

delusion77
you shouldnt need much voltage to gain that 30mhz. try without an increase from what you have.

12-07-2010, 12:06:31

Br1t1shB33f
I have just run a Heaven 2.1 DX11 Bench and go this . ITs seems ok on the setting (dunno if this is good).

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/4316/benchfp.jpg

Running at 920/1200/1.212v

12-07-2010, 12:34:44

tinytomlogan
Run heaven straight out the box, only change the tesselation to disabled and you can compare it with our runs then mate

12-07-2010, 12:56:05

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='tinytomlogan'
Run heaven straight out the box, only change the tesselation to disabled and you can compare it with our runs then mate
thx for the advice m8 ill do a run now and see what i get.

btw what do u class as out of the box ??

API: DX11

Strero3D: Disabled

Shaders: High

Tesselation: Disabled

Anisotropy: 4x

Anti-aliasing: Off

Fullscreen: On

Resolution: 1920x1080

is what its on when i boot the app.

12-07-2010, 13:03:43

delusion77
What resolution do you run it at? I will try to match your settings.

12-07-2010, 13:07:21

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='delusion77'
What resolution do you run it at? I will try to match your settings.
ok m8 tell me the settings u preferece and the resolution max 1920x1080 as that my native and we can compare.

12-07-2010, 13:22:56

delusion77
Well ill give it a try at 1080p Just ran it at my native(2048x1152) and got these results with and without 2xaa. right click and open image in new tab to see bigger

12-07-2010, 13:23:56

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='delusion77'
Well ill give it a try at 1080p Just ran it at my native and got these results.
I cant see these sry they wont expand.

12-07-2010, 13:31:58

delusion77
open them in a new tab. here is 1080p results

12-07-2010, 14:28:36

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='delusion77'
open them in a new tab. here is 1080p results
Here are mine and the results they worry me alot... whats going on here????

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9252/test2lk.jpg http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1369/test1wq.jpg With and without 2xAA

Infact im very worryed whats going on... why such a poor performance to urs ?

Infact our resident master TomLogan, can u gain any idea from these results as to what is going on with my GPU ?

12-07-2010, 14:40:49

F-alienware
Is your card running at stock speeds or are those settings in your sig custom OCed ones? Your card may be thermally throttling.

12-07-2010, 14:45:25

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='AlienALX'
Is your card running at stock speeds or are those settings in your sig custom OCed ones? Your card may be thermally throttling.
My card is set through SmartDoctor to run 920Mhz Core and default voltage and ram the Core is OC by 70mhz but there is no Overheat going on (thermal Trottle) my fan profile is set to run at:

Slow: 45 Degrees

Medium: 50 Degrees

Fast: 60 Degrees

Fastest: 65 Degrees

Temps never go beyond the 65 Degrees celcius mark and fanspeeds maxes at 84%

Is there settings in SmartDoctor or ATI Overdrive i should look out for ??

12-07-2010, 14:56:36

F-alienware
I would download something to clean out all the drivers and apps and reinstall the drivers and just run it totally stock with nothing going on in the background. You're right, those numbers are really worrying.

12-07-2010, 15:01:29

Br1t1shB33f
@Delusion77

Mate, are u running any software over clocks like 3D gamer mode or anything on SmartDoctor or should i really start to worry ??

12-07-2010, 15:06:29

delusion77
Hmm.. there should not be such a huge variation from 920 to 950MHz core and 1200 to 1235MMHz mem. ur setup is similar enough to mine. I dont know what the issue could be, I dont want to say its a GPU issue, but....

12-07-2010, 15:08:21

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='delusion77'
Hmm.. there should not be such a huge variation from 920 to 950MHz core and 1200 to 1235MMHz mem. ur setup is similar enough to mine. I dont know what the issue could be, I dont want to say its a GPU issue, but....
iv been thinking my GPU has issues from day one.... but im taking Aliens Advice and amre installing all drivers for my GPU will report back later on Gunna install Catalyst 10.6 latest and basic SmartDoctor from the disk.

12-07-2010, 15:49:36

Br1t1shB33f
Ok after taking AlienALX's advce i reinstalled my drivers and i also spotted a setting in SmartDoctor called "Enable Overheat Protecttion" (Sighs) i have this disabled i dont know if it was before or not. but i got better results npw but this is a Base Default clocks.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3640/850mhzclock.jpg

Alot better than before :P

would a 100mhz overclock give me the extra 400 point u get do u think delusion77 ??

12-07-2010, 16:59:54

delusion77
I found when overclocking as soon as you pass the 900 Mhz barrier there is a noticeable jump, good to see you are scoring higher with the fresh install. As more my smart doctor settings,

951Mhz core clock, 4940Mhz mem, 1.224v (actual volt 1.218 +/- .006v). Overheat protection is enabled, fan set to smartcooling 50,65,75,85. Hyperdrive disabled, CCC overdrive disabled, Catalyst AI on advanced

12-07-2010, 17:08:50

F-alienware
PHEW !

Much better scores. Glad you worked it out man

12-07-2010, 17:27:36

Br1t1shB33f
Thx for the help guys... i really dont know what was wrong unless my drivers saved a bad config and stuck... overheat protection cant be the issue then hmmm and my ati overdrive was enabled. turned that off as i dont need it. will atempt OC tomorrow on base voltage till i get crashes and then work voltage up to suit. Once again thx for the help guys.

By the way my results on GTA are the same FPS... but the great thing is iv lost 80% on the laggy bits now to and the game is "very" playable.. infact im enjoying it alot.

P.S. delusion77 m8 i think u dont need to run the temps so high on ur card on the smart doctor settings, unless u really dont tolerate the sound. as i run mine at 45/50/60/70 (infact my card idles at 32 celcius now lol) and i was happy with the noise... but thats personal preferance. I'll report back to you with new updates as soon as i get them.

12-07-2010, 17:39:08

delusion77
Actually, Im running very nice and cool, 36*c. Sound is an issue when I'm idle, but not when I'm ingame. I suppose I could run 50, 60, 65, 70, but these settings seem to be fine.

12-07-2010, 18:05:28

F-alienware
Beef, the only time you should ever really worry about a GPU is if it's going into artifacts. That's usually a sign that the point of no return is on the horizon. Other than that it's usually always a driver issue.

14-07-2010, 16:11:16

Br1t1shB33f
Just a small update on my quest to overclock my EAH5870 V2.

I have managed through benching and gaming to get a stable @ base voltage 899Mhz. At a test of 911Mhz @ 1.212v (base) it crashed. So im going to increase the Voltage by 0.006 Volts to 1.218v and see how she goes.

I'll Edit this post today with results.

15-07-2010, 05:01:51

WanderingPanther
I have bought one of these cards as well (considerably influenced by the review here)

Hopefully i'll be able to throw some results into the mix from my new rig - just have to await the replacement cpu and case that I've rma'd.

15-07-2010, 13:19:11

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='WanderingPanther'
I have bought one of these cards as well (considerably influenced by the review here)

Hopefully i'll be able to throw some results into the mix from my new rig - just have to await the replacement cpu and case that I've rma'd.
Good luck m8 hope ur card give u great performance... mine is doing good now after a rocky start (my fault lol). im looking forward to ur stable clocks

Overclock Update..... I have now got to 920Mhz stable and the voltage is at 1.230v, no Memory overclocks as yet as ill wait till i hit a max on the GPU.

15-07-2010, 15:39:21

Br1t1shB33f
A quick question to something that just occured to me....... does Asus GamerOSD affect the GPU overclock utility. as i just installed it to get rid of the to annoying "Asus SmartDoctor may not work Properly without GamerOSD installed" message everytime i boot my game.

It's just that since this minoute i installed it my Games are laggy again like they were b4 my GPU driver reinstall in which i didnt reinstall GamerOSD

Thoughts ?

15-07-2010, 15:41:19

Andrew Moore
Why is everyone getting such poor clocks on these?

I have the 5850 with the same PCB as this (known as the directCU) and it clocks like a beast. Stable at 1120/1300 with 1.3v at the core and its not particularly hot either...

Andy

15-07-2010, 15:58:37

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Andrew Moore'
Why is everyone getting such poor clocks on these?

I have the 5850 with the same PCB as this (known as the directCU) and it clocks like a beast. Stable at 1120/1300 with 1.3v at the core and its not particularly hot either...

Andy
Nice to hear things are going well for u andy but this isnt helpfull to my question thx.

15-07-2010, 16:23:22

Andrew Moore
Sorry, hadnt noticed the question.

Not entirely sure f your CARD is supported however...

Ditch both utilities and overclock from CCC if need be. You can modify saved profiles with added Volts by editing the cfg file located in user/appdata on the C drive in an ati folder somewhere (will look into this for you in a moment)

The other option is to download and use msiafterburner. The only issue is core over volting may not be supported. You can try changing the "none supported gpus" flag from 0 to 1 by editing the cfg file in the afterburner install location but that also may not work...

Ill have a look to see if there is a flag in the asus smart doctor utility that shows for not having the gamer OSD installed. If there is then Ill have a crack and altering it from say 0 to 1 or False to True (what ever it may be) to see if the boolean field makes a difference or not when OSD is not installed.

Will report back either by 11 this evening or some time in the morning.

Andy

15-07-2010, 16:30:23

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Andrew Moore'
Sorry, hadnt noticed the question.

Not entirely sure f your care is supported however...

Ditch both utilities and overclock from CCC if need be. You can modify saved profiles with added Volts by editing the cfg file located in user/appdata on the C drive in an ati folder somewhere (will look into this for you in a moment)

TRhe other option is to download and use msiafterburner. The only issue is core over volting may not be supported. You can try changing the "none supported gpus" flag from 0 to 1 by editing the cfg file in the afterburner install location but that also may not work...

Ill have a look to see if there is a flag in the asus smart doctor utility that shows for not having the gamer OSD installed. If there is then Ill have a crack and altering it from say 0 to 1 or False to True (what ever it may be) to see if the boolean field makes a difference or not when OSD is not installed.

Will report back either by 11 this evening or some time in the morning.

Andy
Thx Andy thats alot more than i expected in one go and a lil of what u said has me confused... sry if my previous post was a lil arogant.

Regards Sean.

15-07-2010, 16:38:57

Andrew Moore
Any bits you want pointing out?

Andy

15-07-2010, 16:48:43

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Andrew Moore'
Any bits you want pointing out?

Andy
MSI Arfterburner is always told to be good but never saved my clocks and doesnt allow voltage tweak as u pointed out. Smartdocter doesnt save my voltages and when it does it changes the volues lower than i set but highter than default.

Also what is this about a Boolean field ?

Just to update u, i have reinstalled my Driver fresh.. and my performance is back. running Overclock tests as i only got the the test for 929Mhz (im bumping up in 10's or 9's as Smart Doctor would have it). and the Voltage of 1.243v seems stable. Not tryed to OC the ram yet dont know if i need to.. please let me know if its worth doing thx in advance.

Kind regards Sean.

15-07-2010, 16:49:05

AMDFTW
just rememember that after you have changed the cfg file for afterburner go into settings and tick 'allow voltage control' then apply and restart and then its there.

took me ages lol i felt like a ryt tool after

15-07-2010, 16:51:44

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='AMDFTW'
just rememember that after you have changed the cfg file for afterburner go into settings and tick 'allow voltage control' then apply and restart and then its there.

took me ages lol i felt like a ryt tool after
Another piece of good advice... but i cant seem to take myself away from SmartDoctor coz of it's fan control settings.. i like them.

15-07-2010, 16:58:16

Andrew Moore
You get fan control options (custom) in msi afterburner too... you have 10 sliders and can set each from say 15-100%... very customisable.

Andy

15-07-2010, 17:24:29

Br1t1shB33f
Ok i cannot find any fields in the MSI AB cfg file to allow me to activate the Voltage slider.

15-07-2010, 17:30:29

Andrew Moore
Right at the very bottom of the file mate.

[ATIADLHAL]

EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1

AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0

Thats how it should look.

A boolean is a true or false field, a yes or a no. 0 and 1 represent this in this case

Andy

15-07-2010, 17:32:40

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Andrew Moore'
Right at the very bottom of the file mate.

[ATIADLHAL]

EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1

AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0

Thats how it should look.

A boolean is a true or false field, a yes or a no. 0 and 1 represent this in this case

Andy
Ok Andy, thx for the reply. But i have this field set to 1 already and its still not showing the Voltage bar so i can use it. I have also restarted the App.

15-07-2010, 17:45:15

Andrew Moore
UnlockVoltageControl = 1

UnlockVoltageMonitoring = 1

Do they look like that too??

Andy

16-07-2010, 12:04:20

Br1t1shB33f
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Andrew Moore'
UnlockVoltageControl = 1

UnlockVoltageMonitoring = 1

Do they look like that too??

Andy
Hi Andy, Thx again for ur imput... but these settings are set to 1 and still it doesnt work.... im certain im not missing something... but might be wrong.

16-07-2010, 12:11:29

F-alienware
Yup I'll chime in for +1XP on Afterburner's fan setting controls too. Marvellous they are

16-07-2010, 12:13:10

delusion77
ill give afterburner a try

16-07-2010, 14:26:52

Br1t1shB33f
ok small update of my quest to OC this baby.

Im currntly at 941Mhz and a voltage of 1.249v.

iv still yet to touch the ram... would anyone have any ideas on the best process to bump this up.. .and is it tied to the voltage like the core ?

16-07-2010, 22:13:48

delusion77
Tried MSI afterburner. I like their fan control and found this on how to unlock the voltage "Check allow/monitor voltage control.

Edited the cfg file to change EnableUnofficialOverclocking from 0 to 1.

To enable VRM detection on a EAH5870V2 add the following text to your hardware profile file (.\Profiles\ VEN_1002&DEV_6899&SUBSYS_034E1043&REV_00&BUS_1&DEV _0&FN_0.cfg):

[Settings]

uP6208_Detection = 1

Shut down / Restart Afterburner and you should see +12 for core voltage. +12 equals 1.212v stock voltage. When you increase past+12 it will add an additional % to your stock voltage.

example: +18 equals 1.218v 3d

Use GPUZ 0.4.3 to monitor voltage" (from [H])

Im now running 981 on the core@ 1.218v & 1250 on mem. I was stable on furmark up to 1Ghz
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.