Intel DZ77GA-70K and Core i7-3770K Review

Introduction

Intel DZ77GA-70K and Core i7-3770K Review 

Introduction

We had a look at a few of the features of the latest Z77 motherboards in our recent review of the ASUS P8-Z77V Pro. However, because we didn't have the 3rd Generation of Intel CPUs to hand it was more of a look as an upgrade. Today we're finally putting it all together in a review of the Ivy Bridge CPU on a Panther Point motherboard. As usual with new CPU releases we'll be looking at the stock performance on the Intel motherboard, and then taking our overclocking on with a third-party motherboard.

Those of you who follow the Intel release methodology will know that today's release is the Tick part of their Tick/Tock strategy, and that means the introduction of 22nm Process Technology. It was only 5 years ago that we first saw glimpses of the 45nm CPUs which were released in 2008 and only a couple of years ago we were graced with the Westmere 32nm CPUs. It's difficult to not be impressed at the amazing commitment to ensuring Moore's Law remains accurate. Although given that even Intel believe 16nm will be the limit of the possible die shrinking with current technology, this might be the penultimate Tick in the Intel release schedule. At least until we're having computers implanted in our heads.

So what's the big change between Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge?

Obviously the biggest change comes courtesy of the move from 32nm to 22nm, and that's energy efficiency and low power consumption. The major push with nearly all current hardware is more power, but in a manner than doesn't strip the planet of its resources in a heartbeat. It might seem one of those things whereby a small improvement can't really have an effect, but when you multiply the amount of CPUs currently working, if you can take away even 1 watt per hour you're saving an enormous amount.

The next big addition is the move from an HD3000 iGPU to the latest HD4000, which potentially has twice the performance of the integrated graphics currently residing on Sandy Bridge CPUs. We will be taking a look at that performance claim in another review, but for now the support for Direct X 11, an extra independent display (three instead of the two on the HD3000) and an upgrade from OpenGL 3.0 to OpenGL 3.1 should be plenty to whet the appetite of the casual gaming/on a budget crowd.

For us there is one main point of interest though, and that's the new overclocking options that we have with the 3rd Generation CPUs. Although it's only the extreme high-end that has more headroom, somewhere we'll never push to on air, the extra memory overclocking options and the theoretically lower voltage necessary for our normal "just under 5GHz" overclocking should at least bring some smiles to the party.

Intel DZ77GA-70K and Core i7-3770K Review

Remember when 1600MHz was quick and 2133MHz was blazing? Of course we'll be seeing what we can squeeze out in our overclocked tests, but for now let's move on to take a look at what is on offer in part one of our Z77/i7-3770K review.

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next»

Most Recent Comments

23-04-2012, 11:59:55

tinytomlogan


The wait is finally over and Intel's 3rd Generation CPUs are upon us. How does it stack up to the current LGA1155s?

Continue Reading

23-04-2012, 12:01:20

Ghosthud1
hell yes

23-04-2012, 12:01:46

Firat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthud1 View Post

hell yes
^^^^^

23-04-2012, 12:20:18

ArjenIsM3
Getting me one of these.

23-04-2012, 12:21:21

Ghosthud1
so the 95w tdp was bs? lol, thats why i wait for the final published reviews

23-04-2012, 12:33:14

ArjenIsM3
Still have to wait till the 30th for availability though

23-04-2012, 12:36:55

TheOneHalf
Very nice, I';ll be upgrading my I5 2500k to a 3770k. Happy to see it is indeed more power efficient ^^

23-04-2012, 12:40:03

Damien c
Well I certaintly won't be getting one of these as they are just not worth it for me.

I will just sort my cooling out for my current 2700K and see what speed I can get at decent temps and voltages.

Might be worth keeping my eye out for the next revision if they do one that oc's better with better temps for the voltages.

23-04-2012, 12:43:47

Sheza
I've looked at these reviews and have come to a question I need to ask:

I'm still on 1366. I'd only use MSI OC Genie to Overclock. For my upgrade, 2600K or 3770K? I can afford any of them.

23-04-2012, 12:47:47

ArjenIsM3
I would and will go 3770k. More up-to-date with the PCIe3 and stuff, and it's more power efficient. Especially if you don't want to set world records with your overclocks the 3770k is the way to go.

23-04-2012, 13:00:32

nepas
meh,will stick with my 2500k,I prefer the temps with Sandy,compared to the Ivy's.

23-04-2012, 13:06:33

Azuka09
I already have a 2500k but i`m gonna upgrade to full 3rd generation anyway. Just have to have the newest i can afford xD.

23-04-2012, 13:12:25

PetrolHead247
Some of the new boards look sweet, but the IB chips are just slightly more efficient SB chips which don't OC as well. To the couple people above me saying they're going to upgrade from SB to IB i say do NOT do it. There's no performance gains upgrading from SB to IB apart from the fact you can run memory much faster. Watch Tom's video review on it, he covers it all perfectly. The only time i'd upgrade from SB to IB is if i had a locked chip on a H67 chipset and wanted to get an unlocked IB chip with a Z77 board

23-04-2012, 13:39:21

Firat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead247 View Post

Some of the new boards look sweet, but the IB chips are just slightly more efficient SB chips which don't OC as well. To the couple people above me saying they're going to upgrade from SB to IB i say do NOT do it. There's no performance gains upgrading from SB to IB apart from the fact you can run memory much faster. Watch Tom's video review on it, he covers it all perfectly. The only time i'd upgrade from SB to IB is if i had a locked chip on a H67 chipset and wanted to get an unlocked IB chip with a Z77 board
i agree, not worth the change.......i wouldn't even call it an upgrade

23-04-2012, 14:35:48

Night Crawler
Okay say and read the review however question for you.

I need to buy a new board and cpu. I understand that in this case I should get the ivy bridge cpu with a z77 board however they have sales on now for the 2600k or 2700k cpu. Would it be better to get the older chip with the z77 board or go with the Ivy bridge 3770k cput?

23-04-2012, 14:39:51

PetrolHead247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post

Okay say and read the review however question for you.

I need to buy a new board and cpu. I understand that in this case I should get the ivy bridge cpu with a z77 board however they have sales on now for the 2600k or 2700k cpu. Would it be better to get the older chip with the z77 board or go with the Ivy bridge 3770k cput?
Personally, i'd go for a SB chip if it's on sale for an awesome price. If not, i'd choose Ivy. Either way i'd go with a Z77 board for definite though as overall the good boards (MSI Z77 GD65, Gigabyte UD5 etc...) seem to OC better with both SB and IB chips than the old Z68/P67 boards

23-04-2012, 15:17:01

Master&Puppet
Well there we are, it's pretty meh really (kind of as we expected). I can't see a reason to upgrade from SB cpu to IB unless you are running 2x pcie3 cards, in which case you might actually use the extra bandwidth. You never will with one card.

The z77 boards look nice though, they are a refinement of the 68s but again, not worth upgrading from 68s.

I totally agree with TTL, if you have SB/z68 stick with it, if you haven't then go IB/z77 unless the prices are more than about 15% greater in which case grab an SB/68 setup.

23-04-2012, 16:21:37

nepas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master&Puppet View Post

Well there we are, it's pretty meh really (kind of as we expected). I can't see a reason to upgrade from SB cpu to IB unless you are running 2x pcie3 cards, in which case you might actually use the extra bandwidth. You never will with one card.

The z77 boards look nice though, they are a refinement of the 68s but again, not worth upgrading from 68s.

I totally agree with TTL, if you have SB/z68 stick with it, if you haven't then go IB/x77 unless the prices are more than about 15% greater in which case grab an SB/68 setup.
This pretty much.

Aria are doing the 2600k for 209 at the mo,will be interesting in the least to see the price on Ivy,because unless I am missing a big something here,its a hard thing to justify going the extra.(those temps still have me worried,and yes I know its not the same thing,but they are still too high for me)

23-04-2012, 21:38:01

CPMFW
not what i expected...

im still on 775 !

would you recon a 3930k is better than a 3770k?

24-04-2012, 01:49:34

Solar
Great review ( as per norm), not an intel release that's likely to start a stampede to retailers though, I like most people will wait and see what comes next.

24-04-2012, 04:25:38

yassarikhan786
Fantastic review as always Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMFW View Post

not what i expected...

im still on 775 !

would you recon a 3930k is better than a 3770k?
No doubt the 3930k is better. You have to remember the 3770k is not competing with the 3930k so you can't really compare the two. The 3930k wins hands down and given the price difference (once we know IB prices) it would have to

24-04-2012, 07:01:14

Legacy-ZA
I was expecting way more from the Ivy Bridge processors. I don't notice any overclocking results, are they yet to come?

24-04-2012, 08:05:00

Master&Puppet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy-ZA View Post

I was expecting way more from the Ivy Bridge processors. I don't notice any overclocking results, are they yet to come?
Overclocking is in the gigabyte board review but it is not an exciting cpu even there I'm afraid.

24-04-2012, 08:28:57

CPMFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by yassarikhan786 View Post

Fantastic review as always Bryan

No doubt the 3930k is better. You have to remember the 3770k is not competing with the 3930k so you can't really compare the two. The 3930k wins hands down and given the price difference (once we know IB prices) it would have to
thanks for the quick response!

cheers mate!

i watched toms 2011 reviews again and the 3930k scores where higher then the 3770k ones!

are there different steppings or revisions for the 3930k?

thanks again

24-04-2012, 11:06:57

MaXiMiZe
Nice review. The way see it is that you could always just get a 2500k or 2600k etc and OC it past whatever the Ivy CPU's can manage.

25-04-2012, 06:28:21

yassarikhan786
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMFW View Post

thanks for the quick response!

cheers mate!

i watched toms 2011 reviews again and the 3930k scores where higher then the 3770k ones!

are there different steppings or revisions for the 3930k?

thanks again
There is a C2 stepping, which has some improvements (not exactly sure what's changed though).

25-04-2012, 09:08:46

CPMFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by yassarikhan786 View Post

There is a C2 stepping, which has some improvements (not exactly sure what's changed though).
alright cheers mate!

25-04-2012, 12:33:21

jackjack
luv the skull logo on it

27-04-2012, 06:15:18

rigg89
great review as always mate

But i think we should reserve that gold sticker for when we get OCing results. I have seen a lot of other reviews where this chip gets VERY toasty when you put it past stock. It looks like they used TIM paste instead of fluxless solder between IHS and CPU die = 80's @ 4.6 while under water ( opposed to 50's/60's for a 2600k)

For an unlocked chip designed for OCing the temps have actually made this chip unappealing as an upgrade. People might as well pick up a 2600k cheap when the prices drop and they could get a higher clock = the same speeds over all. This is an enthusiast chip after all

Anyone who wants to upgrade should wait for another revision/ until they sort out the heat issues

27-04-2012, 06:31:39

YogevSkill
Although Ivy Bridge is upon us, Sandy Bridge unlike the London bridge is NOT comming down.

SB is still an awesome processor hands down.

and only times will tell which is better. cause after watching Tom's review of the 3770k. im not so sure about the 3rd Gen.

Great review Bryan.

04-05-2012, 07:28:40

shortstrawfate
I don't like to be pedantic, because the general point is a good one... but the measure of Watts is already a rate (a measure of energy used per second), so saving "1 watt per hour" doesn't make sense. You're just saving one Watt.

04-05-2012, 07:46:36

Josh Weston
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstrawfate View Post

I don't like to be pedantic, because the general point is a good one... but the measure of Watts is already a rate (a measure of energy used per second), so saving "1 watt per hour" doesn't make sense. You're just saving one Watt.
It's like a PIN number

I know where you're coming from, but there are lots of people who don't know that - lots of people who find 'watts per hour' easier to understand.

And anyway, what about kWh?
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.