Intel Core i7-4770K Review

What's New?

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Z87 Review

What's New?

Such is the breadth of applications that Intel cover, mobile, energy efficient, full-on Desktop etc, that even the i7-4770 has an array of variants. The 4765T runs at an incredible 35W, but topping out at only 3GHz we think that if you're really looking for a processor to be quick without making the electricity companies rich and the planet warm, then the 45W TDP i7-4770T should be the best balance.

But, of course, we're starting off with the range-topping i7-4770K. With a turbo up to 3.9GHz, hyperthreading, HD4600 graphics and all the latest Intel instruction sets, it should be fun to see how it compares to, and hopefully improves upon, the i7-3770K.

Intel Core i7-4770K Review  

Of course a new socket requires a new motherboard, and the Z87 Chipset has a few important benefits over the Z77, most notably the increase to 6 xHCI USB 3.0 ports and 6 SATA6Gbp/s ports.

Intel Core i7-4770K Review  

Finally, before we get onto the actual testing, we often hear people saying about how well their old arrangement performs and not understanding the benefits that the latest architecture can bring. So for those, here is a direct comparison of dual-core CPUs. Remember when the E8400 was the CPU of choice for the enthusiast?

Intel Core i7-4770K Review  

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next»

Most Recent Comments

01-06-2013, 10:20:26

tinytomlogan
Haswell is upon us, and it's time to see how it compares to the Ivy Bridge CPU it replaces.


http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...083452463l.jpg


Continue Reading

01-06-2013, 10:23:09

AverageNinja
Thanks for the review TTL!
Watching it now!

01-06-2013, 10:38:36

maniac
let the marathon begin....

01-06-2013, 11:10:11

Devastater6194
Can't see any of the graphs on my Galaxy S4. Comes up with plugin not supported message.

01-06-2013, 11:20:57

MrKambo
well! thanks for the review Tom

well Haswell is not as dire as i thought it was gonna be, but from what ive seen and what i do with my rig, im better of sticking with my 3770K and and those wanting to upgrade from Sandy would benefit more

01-06-2013, 11:22:20

SieB
Not worth the upgrade then if you are already running SB or IB
I really wanted to upgrade but it's not worth the money or hassle to go from my 2500K to Haswell.

My last upgrade was from a Q6600 to my 2500K, and that was a huge! I'm not expecting my next upgrade to be as big as that was, but there is not enough real world difference to go from my 2500K to Haswell.

Haswell would be a good upgrade from an old AMD setup or an Intel 775 or 1366 setup though.

01-06-2013, 11:25:47

iBeInspire
Am I blind or are there really no overclock results?

01-06-2013, 11:26:45

MacLeod
Nice review as always TTL!

Not much of an improvement really. Less than 10% in most things. Not that 10% is anything to be ashamed about and is a respectable increase but take that modest improvement and coupled with it looking like its not going to be as good an overclocker as Ivy (which wasnt as good an overclocker as Sandy) and I dont think youll see too many people upgrading from a Ivy or even Sandy i5/i7. Cant believe the things run so hot that a H100 cant handle them.

Signs of the times though Im afraid. Raw horsepower isnt as important anymore since an i5 can shred thru 99% of anything youre gonna throw at it (Hell an i3 can shred thru most things). With everything going mobile, looks like Intel and AMD are all about efficiency. Cant blame them really as thats the future of things.

I thought about finally jumping over to the Intel side with Haswell but think Ill ride my AM3+ rig out.

From the AMD fan standpoint, hopefully since this wasnt a giant leap forward for raw horsepower, maybe AMD can take advantage of this and make up some ground.

01-06-2013, 11:32:10

AverageNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeInspire View Post
Am I blind or are there really no overclock results?
Watch the video mate.

01-06-2013, 11:34:44

iBeInspire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
Watch the video mate.
Just saying he could have put em' in the writeup...

Guess It's time to make a cuppa and sit down to a TTL vid again

01-06-2013, 12:04:08

maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post
Not worth the upgrade then if you are already running SB or IB
I really wanted to upgrade but it's not worth the money or hassle to go from my 2500K to Haswell.

My last upgrade was from a Q6600 to my 2500K, and that was a huge! I'm not expecting my next upgrade to be as big as that was, but there is not enough real world difference to go from my 2500K to Haswell.

Haswell would be a good upgrade from an old AMD setup or an Intel 775 or 1366 setup though.
I'm running 1366 and i really don't feel the need to upgrade

01-06-2013, 12:10:35

VonBlade
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeInspire View Post
Just saying he could have put em' in the writeup...

Guess It's time to make a cuppa and sit down to a TTL vid again
Or just read one of our other Z87 reviews. Pointless overclocking on the default Intel 'board, so we run the overclocks on the D3HP, the truly epic GD65 and the rather snazzy Sniper M5.

01-06-2013, 12:29:01

theDTP
So hot, even with H100i. My i5 2500k at 4.8GHz with my fans turned to the lowest setting (just about moving) I just about hit 72c. Benched at 5.1GHz and hits about 85c with fans practically off. I really was hoping to run 5GHz daily, but that is just me being picky. I do know that a 4770k will be better at let's say 4GHz than my 5.1GHz 2500k. Admit it, we all love big numbers!

01-06-2013, 12:33:10

VonBlade
To be fair the i5-2500K is just a quad-core with a very average iGPU. The i7-4770K is a quad-core hyperthreaded with the exceptionally high-performance HD4600 iGPU. Already that will boost the amount of heat, and when you add in the additional instruction sets that integrate with your OS to ensure that the CPU is always busy doing something, it only adds to this high thermal loading.

01-06-2013, 12:34:58

MacLeod
As an AMD fanboy, I have to admit it is a little gratifying seeing am Intel chip that's hotter than my Bulldozer.

01-06-2013, 12:36:57

theDTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post
Not worth the upgrade then if you are already running SB or IB
I really wanted to upgrade but it's not worth the money or hassle to go from my 2500K to Haswell.

My last upgrade was from a Q6600 to my 2500K, and that was a huge! I'm not expecting my next upgrade to be as big as that was, but there is not enough real world difference to go from my 2500K to Haswell.

Haswell would be a good upgrade from an old AMD setup or an Intel 775 or 1366 setup though.
I am in the same position, I am itching so much to get Haswell. The 4770k looks nice but I would probably get 4670k if I did upgrade.
You said it yourself "not enough real world difference to go from my 2500K to Haswell"
I need serious help, I need to hibernate for a year maybe?

01-06-2013, 12:51:42

computergeek
So let me get this straight as Tom has stated in his most recent video review the only difference is 4.8Ghz on Ivy bridge and the equiviliant is 4.6 Ghz on Haswell. And with a top of the range CPU cooler you will hit 90 degrees with a big overclock. So IHS issue again with the Ivy bridge CPU's.
Intel doesn't like people overclocking much do they?
Pay premium for an unlocked CPU and then there was that daft overclockers insurance from them.
And then release a CPU with really bad temps for overclockers.
This is why I am tempted to upgrade to Sandy bridge, I know behind the times slighly but frankly I enjoy my overclocking.
Unless something changes, I won't be changing my mind any time soon.
And yes I know Tom had an engineering sample so the final CPU released to consumers maybe slightly better temps wise but I doubt by a good marginal better.

01-06-2013, 13:02:58

Spiderz
Seems to be upgrade heaven just now from NVIDIA and now Intel and they keep churning out stuff that put my 3 year old AMD setup to shame. Bit disappointed that the same thermal issue seems to be there as there was with the Ivy bridge CPUs and really, intel need to sort that in my opinion.

As it is now, time to maybe make my bank manager rather upset.

01-06-2013, 13:18:46

MacLeod
I suppose there will be reason to upgrade just for the "new toy" aspect. I didn't need to move up to the 8150 from my 1090 but it was a lot of fun learning a new CPU and finding it's limits. The same could be said for somebody moving from a 3570K to a 4670K. But then again I didn't have to buy a new motherboard either so maybe the "new toy" aspect isn't worth the extra $150 for a new mobo.

01-06-2013, 13:28:27

theDTP
*removed - rule violation* holy crap, sorry. It wasn't a serious post. I was loling. I didn't even put info, price and I wouldn't put it here if I was serious. I'd put it in the FS&W section when I am able. Again, sorry.

01-06-2013, 13:32:15

computergeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
I suppose there will be reason to upgrade just for the "new toy" aspect. I didn't need to move up to the 8150 from my 1090 but it was a lot of fun learning a new CPU and finding it's limits. The same could be said for somebody moving from a 3570K to a 4670K. But then again I didn't have to buy a new motherboard either so maybe the "new toy" aspect isn't worth the extra $150 for a new mobo.
I agree.

01-06-2013, 14:43:32

Buckster
nice review Tom - thanks

4770k worthy of a Gold award though ? compared with Ivy doesn't seem to have moved on that much to me.

No mention of BLCK overclocking ? (a new feature for Haswell over Ivy I believe ?)

cheers

01-06-2013, 15:17:22

Dicehunter
So stay with 3770K then ?

01-06-2013, 15:34:35

Bartacus
Interesting review! I'm especially curious about that voltage, whatever one was running at 1.788V (can't remember the name and I just watched the video, DOH!).

01-06-2013, 15:44:54

ShaunB-91
Ok so I have one question. Release date? I'm waiting to order for my new Corsair Obsidian 550D!

01-06-2013, 16:10:18

MacLeod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
So stay with 3770K then ?
I would, unless you just want something new to overclock. 5-10% improvement isnt bad at all but the heat this thing puts off and the average 4.5 GHz overclocks that reviewers seem to be getting, unless you can swing the cash for a new i7, motherboard and possibly copy of Win7, I dont think it would be worth it.

01-06-2013, 17:31:15

VonBlade
It's all about what you do with it. If you just game, game and more games, then no it isn't worth the upgrade and your cash is better spent on GPU horsepower. If you use your computer with the entirety of things it has to offer, it might be worth the upgrade from anything less than the 2600 and certainly worthwhile for anything based around the X58 or from the AMD studios.

But we don't review solely based upon what one person does with it. We review based largely upon "I have nothing, is this worth my cash", and usually try and mention the upgrade options in the conclusion. Or include sufficient information in our graphs for you to make your own mind up.

We're enthusiasts, and know our audience is intelligent enough to connect the dots and utilise the wealth of reviews and information we have before laying down their cash on an upgrade, although we try to point you roughly in the direction of our considered opinion wherever possible.

The i7-4770K is the best Intel chip around. Bar none. Now if the finest CPU from the manufacturer of the most powerful CPUs isn't worthy of a gold, what would be?

01-06-2013, 17:48:53

Tripp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
As an AMD fanboy, I have to admit it is a little gratifying seeing am Intel chip that's hotter than my Bulldozer.
+1 hahahaha

01-06-2013, 17:51:55

Buckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonBlade View Post
It's all about what you do with it. If you just game, game and more games, then no it isn't worth the upgrade and your cash is better spent on GPU horsepower. If you use your computer with the entirety of things it has to offer, it might be worth the upgrade from anything less than the 2600 and certainly worthwhile for anything based around the X58 or from the AMD studios.

But we don't review solely based upon what one person does with it. We review based largely upon "I have nothing, is this worth my cash", and usually try and mention the upgrade options in the conclusion. Or include sufficient information in our graphs for you to make your own mind up.

We're enthusiasts, and know our audience is intelligent enough to connect the dots and utilise the wealth of reviews and information we have before laying down their cash on an upgrade, although we try to point you roughly in the direction of our considered opinion wherever possible.

The i7-4770K is the best Intel chip around. Bar none. Now if the finest CPU from the manufacturer of the most powerful CPUs isn't worthy of a gold, what would be?
thanks for the reply - and ok - now you've explained in those terms - I can see why it got a Gold award and agree its worthy- its hard not to think comparatively with previous versions as an upgrade so to speak

thanks

01-06-2013, 18:03:54

grassman
This is less than a 10% performance gain and it gets gold?
It even overclocks the exact same

01-06-2013, 18:10:55

VonBlade
Because it costs roughly the same as the i7-3770K and is about 10% better. You remember the i7-3770K, it was a bit better than the i7-2600K. Indeed the i7-3770K was so good you brought one. Soooo.

I am confused as to why this makes it not worthy of a Gold. Otherwise we could take that argument to the logical conclusion that the 386 was only slightly better than the 286 so not worth a gold, and the 486 was a tiny bit better than the 386 so not worth a gold, and ... etc etc until nothing ever gets awarded anything and the hardware review business becomes the equivalent of the Financial Times.

If our award offends you so much, just read all the pages but the last one and then stick a post it on your monitor with "Brass Award" on it.

Sheesh.

01-06-2013, 18:19:06

grassman
I went from i5 2500k to i7 3770k because I heard this was gonna be the same crap happy I did.

I don't remember Ivy getting a gold? Why is this one a gold? It's inconsistent. I'm not bothered your the one having your feathers rustled btw. Am I missing something here? Did everyone turn into greeny hippies over night or something?

01-06-2013, 18:26:30

wrenaudrey
Very nice review indeed Tom!

I will be getting this as ive already held off upgrading to ivy bridge last year.
And yes people, this will be worth every penny. From a Yorkfield Q8300 to a Haswell 4770k, this will be a colossal jump indeed.

Now only thing to wait for is Tom's review on all of the motherboards (hopefully he does Asus ones especially the Sabertooth) and to finally decide on my colour scheme for my new build

EDIT: When are they available in shops by the way-Does anybody know?

01-06-2013, 18:32:08

nepas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonBlade View Post
the 486 was a tiny bit better than the 386
Come on,they were miles apart(either that or the IT guy at my college was a dunce,wait he probably was)

01-06-2013, 18:37:43

grassman
Quote:
Originally Posted by computergeek View Post
So let me get this straight as Tom has stated in his most recent video review the only difference is 4.8Ghz on Ivy bridge and the equiviliant is 4.6 Ghz on Haswell. And with a top of the range CPU cooler you will hit 90 degrees with a big overclock. So IHS issue again with the Ivy bridge CPU's.
Intel doesn't like people overclocking much do they?
Pay premium for an unlocked CPU and then there was that daft overclockers insurance from them.
And then release a CPU with really bad temps for overclockers.
This is why I am tempted to upgrade to Sandy bridge, I know behind the times slighly but frankly I enjoy my overclocking.
Unless something changes, I won't be changing my mind any time soon.
And yes I know Tom had an engineering sample so the final CPU released to consumers maybe slightly better temps wise but I doubt by a good marginal better.
Don't support them, Just get a FX 8320/50. Time to boycott.

BTW I posted on this forum a few month back that I would give away my current i7 3770k + Maximus IV Extreme Z if this was capable of a proper 5ghz 24/7 OC with 15% IPC improvement. I really did want to upgrade.. Massively gutted. a 15% IPC improvement isn't really even asking much, We didn't get ether the hell.

02-06-2013, 02:57:38

Zoot
Thanks for the review Tom.

While a very capable CPU, it's little to nothing of an upgrade over Ivy Bridge, certainly not upgrading if you're rocking the previous generation. The temperature problems are also still there in all their glory.

But really, Haswell was never "meant" for the desktop. The focus was always going to be mobile, which is what you're seeing with the improved IGPU and power usage. Some people are going as far as saying that the desktop chips are just failed mobile ones.

02-06-2013, 07:24:43

Nogginthenog
Nice review, I guess I'm one of the few who finds the haswell line quite impressive.

Not necessarily this chip in particular, although unless you have a 3770K , as an upgrade its going to be a very significant performance improvement as far as I can see, but the line in general.

My gaming and performance PC isnt the one i use most. My file server, media PC and laptop get more use for work and general entertainment.

For the two former of those, Haswell presents significant advantages over either of the last two generations, the power savings alone make it worthwhile for either application, an I5 quad core that can get total system power usage in the 60w or so levels when using the on board graphics is hugely impressive.

For me, I dont think this is the generation to replace my gaming rig, that will be the next one when they amp up per clock performance, but for work and media PCs, this generation seems a huge leap forwards to me.

02-06-2013, 13:39:05

Rastalovich
Intel do have it all figured out, just as the other modern manufacturers do. Make 10% improvement and every now and again, force the whole mobo upgrade.

Think it's right to get a Gold award. Out of all the new cpus out there, and based on someone buying with no kit, it-is the gold choice.

People do need to seriously think about what their existing kit is and what they do/intent to do with it tho. You don't just buy one of these because it's the new thing... well not everyone does

The aesthetic benchmarks give this cpu a solid gold rating for me. But they aren't real world to a great extent and to be fair, cpus don't need to be that-powerful if you're a strict gamer.

Workstations will love the injection of the new Intel goodness tho.

How good is this HD4600 ?

02-06-2013, 14:12:37

| raVen |
Well I'm a bit disappointed about Haswell, its great CPU, but not so much better than my 2600k. Many people will be not happy about the temps after OC as well, cus its not all right that NHD-14 cannot keep the processor cool on 1.3 V.
So I'll be not buying Haswell, I better get new SSD or some other goodies

02-06-2013, 14:40:26

bofeming
So as I can read, it's not worth to buy this new socket if you came from last Ivy's?
Not even from a 3570k?

02-06-2013, 14:43:37

| raVen |
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofeming View Post
So as I can read, it's not worth to buy this new socket if you came from last Ivy's?
Not even from a 3570k?
Depends what's your need are mate. For my needs its not worth upgrading at all. Different people expecting different thing from their CPU's, so I leave this one as a personal opinion.

02-06-2013, 14:57:41

bofeming
My need's are high performance for gaming and low power consumption as possible.
Right now I have a 3570K with a gtx580 cuII + other normal stuff.
But was wondering about to buy new socket + new graphics card (770 maybe)

02-06-2013, 17:47:18

Rastalovich
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofeming View Post
My need's are high performance for gaming and low power consumption as possible.
Then you just need a cpu that does gaming with the lowest power consumption. Not necessarily (probably not at all) the 4770 or even 3770, probably wrong sockets to think of altogether.

Your high performance will come from graphics.

02-06-2013, 18:57:30

markashworth79
Seems reading the posts in this thread that I should save my money for a GPU upgrade. I'm currently running a 2600K at 4.7G 1.38V on a H100i 50 - 60C.

Most of the time I use my rig for gaming but I'm an enthusiast and I always have the urge to upgrade when a new bit of kit comes out.

What do you guys think CPU upgrade or wait for a 790

02-06-2013, 19:03:09

| raVen |
Quote:
Originally Posted by markashworth79 View Post
Seems reading the posts in this thread that I should save my money for a GPU upgrade. I'm currently running a 2600K at 4.7G 1.38V on a H100i 50 - 60C.

Most of the time I use my rig for gaming but I'm an enthusiast and I always have the urge to upgrade when a new bit of kit comes out.

What do you guys think CPU upgrade or wait for a 790
I will say to stick with 2600k, especially since your h100i will not handle the heat if you want to overclock, unless you are ok when your CPU is 90 degrees on full load.
790?... Better to go for 770 SLI if you really want Nvidia.

03-06-2013, 00:55:23

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by | raVen | View Post
I will say to stick with 2600k, especially since your h100i will not handle the heat if you want to overclock, unless you are ok when your CPU is 90 degrees on full load.
790?... Better to go for 770 SLI if you really want Nvidia.
Well Tom did use OCCT with avx linpack enabled which I have just tested my 3770k and got nearly the same temps and bearing in mind we get a 10% performance boost a few degrees isn't bad, Plus you will never reach these temps in games unless they are designed to stress your CPU as much as linpack does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonBlade View Post
your cash is better spent on GPU horsepower.
Just got a EVGA SC GTX 780 so I'm good there, Even if it is only a 10% gain, It's still a gain plus my 3770K I'll donate to my dad and his pc is a pentium so this will be a nice free upgrade for him

03-06-2013, 08:23:02

FredEx
If one is considering one, you may want to hold off. A site has done testing and the Haswell is having issues with USB 3.0. The site did extensive testing and they tested 22 USB 3.0 drives with it and 14 of them were experiencing issues and were unable to stay connected when a Haswell system woke back up from standby.

03-06-2013, 09:13:58

dalewakelin
Haswell would be a huge upgrade from smithfield lol

03-06-2013, 09:50:26

vorticalbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Well Tom did use OCCT with avx linpack enabled which I have just tested my 3770k and got nearly the same temps and bearing in mind we get a 10% performance boost a few degrees isn't bad, Plus you will never reach these temps in games unless they are designed to stress your CPU as much as linpack does.
what clock and volts are you using? if you don't mind me asking.


but 10% increase along with a new motherboard is pretty bad don't you think?

03-06-2013, 12:31:15

Chopper3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredEx View Post
If one is considering one, you may want to hold off. A site has done testing and the Haswell is having issues with USB 3.0. The site did extensive testing and they tested 22 USB 3.0 drives with it and 14 of them were experiencing issues and were unable to stay connected when a Haswell system woke back up from standby.
Was that with ES at C1 stepping? All retail Haswell's are C2 stepped and have this problem fixed. Do you have a link to this site?

03-06-2013, 15:14:13

Zoot
On another note the new "high-end" Iris Graphics are actually impressive. Anandtech's benches has the mobile chip beating the graphics performance of the desktop AMD A10-5800.

However (and it's a damn big however), the die size is enormous, so enormous it's actually bigger than a 7870, which is an infinitely more powerful graphics solution. The price of the Iris equipped chip is also quoted to be $650, and at a 60W TDP it's also pretty power hungry. So it's only going to make its way into ultra expensive laptops and the like, where a discrete GPU is on the cards anyway.

In other words - nVidia and AMD needn't worry at all when it comes to Haswell's graphics, even if it is a massive leap forward for Intel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
I have the upgrade bug AND IT'S ITCHY AS HELL !!!
It seems you're not having much success controlling it. An upgrade to a GTX 780 and now a Haswell setup.

03-06-2013, 15:36:21

Buckster
be interested to know whether for any of the stable overclocks - the windows logs were checked for WHEA errors ?

my 3770k needed quite a few extra notches in voltage to get WHEA error free - even though with the errors it was outwardly stable, would pass Prime95, Handbrake etc with no issues

the nearer I was to the real stable voltage the less frequent WHEA errors I would get

you could say a few extra steps in voltage don't make much difference, but with my Ivy I found there was a very fine line at which point it started to go from hot to very hot ....

03-06-2013, 20:22:44

FredEx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper3 View Post
Was that with ES at C1 stepping? All retail Haswell's are C2 stepped and have this problem fixed. Do you have a link to this site?
I'll find it and edit this.

If I'm allowed, here is the site. It does say C1, but a tad more is said.

http://us.hardware.info/news/35295/h...ted-usb-drives

03-06-2013, 20:38:25

grassman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
On another note the new "high-end" Iris Graphics are actually impressive. Anandtech's benches has the mobile chip beating the graphics performance of the desktop AMD A10-5800.

However (and it's a damn big however), the die size is enormous, so enormous it's actually bigger than a 7870, which is an infinitely more powerful graphics solution. The price of the Iris equipped chip is also quoted to be $650, and at a 60W TDP it's also pretty power hungry. So it's only going to make its way into ultra expensive laptops and the like, where a discrete GPU is on the cards anyway.

In other words - nVidia and AMD needn't worry at all when it comes to Haswell's graphics, even if it is a massive leap forward for Intel.


It seems you're not having much success controlling it. An upgrade to a GTX 780 and now a Haswell setup.
The 4600m is there, But I don't see the 5800k anywhere, Also Richland is out this week.

03-06-2013, 21:28:40

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorticalbox View Post
what clock and volts are you using? if you don't mind me asking.
but 10% increase along with a new motherboard is pretty bad don't you think?
4.60GHZ with 1.24v 24/7 stable and you have to remember we got the same 10'ish percent performance gain going from sandy to ivy so it's not that much of a deal really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
It seems you're not having much success controlling it. An upgrade to a GTX 780 and now a Haswell setup.
Telling you bud, This bug has a powerful hold

04-06-2013, 13:02:13

Zoot
Some reviewers have it pulling more power than the 3770k it seems.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-4770k_11.html#sect0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman View Post
The 4600m is there, But I don't see the 5800k anywhere, Also Richland is out this week.
On this page, and a few others too.

But yeah, I'll be interested to see what Richland ends up looking like.

07-06-2013, 13:18:08

bofeming
Nice review TTL.

Anyway, for everyone here complaining about temps follow this easy steps:
1- Remove IHS from core
2- Aply Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra (4 example)
3- Enjoy new degrees
4- (optional) Go L.R and see how temps are way better now.

07-06-2013, 16:13:33

Vlada011
I didn't had Nostradamus near me to tell me in November 2011 to buy best possibile options for next 4 years and we still have winner after almost two year, Intel 3930K six core for 450$ OC performance similar to 3960X without sign on horizon to need something more in next 3-4 years. PCIe 3.0 is sword under head when I think on
SB-E but never mind.
I listen story about fast memory on Haswell, and I look price almost hit me stroke...
I can build SR-2 with AX1200i, two Titans for GSkill 3000MHz price.

08-06-2013, 15:13:02

Arksun
Nice looking CPU

24-06-2013, 14:18:36

jameswaters1989
I personally believe that the days when every new Intel processor offered a huge leap in performance and PCs were outdated after two years are gone. Four or five year old CPUs can still handle things when coupled with a decent GPU..

i've just bought myself Intel Core i7-3930K(upgraded from Corei7 2700k) and I'm quite happy with the new blistering speed! Especially in games!

28-06-2013, 11:20:27

jetguat
Noob. First post. But in the next month of so I'm gonna be getting a new rig. Old one is OLLLLD Gateway, Pentium 2. I had been planning on 3770k, but enough time has passed that 4770k is available.

I'm not a heavy gamer, but would like to on occasion. I do plan to do lots of video transcoding, editing, to make home movies from older pictures and movie. So in my mind CPU processing power is perhaps more important that GPU. That said. I've been thinking gigabyte gtx 670 OC, though I see there are newer versions now.

is the 4770k worth the extra cost over the 3770k? I dont upgrade computers to often, I tend to use them until they can barely function anymore.

28-06-2013, 11:29:18

Feronix
If you use them for that long it probably doesn't really matter. The 4770k will be a tad quicker out of the box but will also be reaching the limit of an overclock quicker due to it running hot. I'd personally always like to have the ability to upgrade but I see that that's different in your case.

The GTX 770 should cost the same as a 670, but the 770 beats the 680 in most scenarios, so I'd definitely go for that.

28-06-2013, 12:09:25

antihero
I wouldn't bet my money that a 770 overclocks as well as a 670 FTW. There are people who've done 1300MHz on those cards (under water, obviously).

28-06-2013, 12:49:35

Master&Puppet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetguat View Post
Noob. First post. But in the next month of so I'm gonna be getting a new rig. Old one is OLLLLD Gateway, Pentium 2. I had been planning on 3770k, but enough time has passed that 4770k is available.

I'm not a heavy gamer, but would like to on occasion. I do plan to do lots of video transcoding, editing, to make home movies from older pictures and movie. So in my mind CPU processing power is perhaps more important that GPU. That said. I've been thinking gigabyte gtx 670 OC, though I see there are newer versions now.

is the 4770k worth the extra cost over the 3770k? I dont upgrade computers to often, I tend to use them until they can barely function anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
If you use them for that long it probably doesn't really matter. The 4770k will be a tad quicker out of the box but will also be reaching the limit of an overclock quicker due to it running hot. I'd personally always like to have the ability to upgrade but I see that that's different in your case.

The GTX 770 should cost the same as a 670, but the 770 beats the 680 in most scenarios, so I'd definitely go for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
I wouldn't bet my money that a 770 overclocks as well as a 670 FTW. There are people who've done 1300MHz on those cards (under water, obviously).
I'd go for a 4770K - I own an Ivy Bridge CPU and I've worked on several Haswell rigs but I prefer having the iVR on Haswell - really makes manual voltage overclocking awesome as well as having the adaptive voltage option.

You won't squeeze much at all out of overclocking a 770 - it is a re-badged and overclocked 680 so there is virtually no headroom left to push the clocks. But I'd get a 770 over a 670 - I think the price is right given what you are getting (basically it's 50 more for a 680).

28-06-2013, 13:12:50

jetguat
Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
I wouldn't bet my money that a 770 overclocks as well as a 670 FTW. There are people who've done 1300MHz on those cards (under water, obviously).

was thinking about the gigabyte 670 OC over the 670 FTW. Price was about the same. Saw a review about the gigabyte 770 OC on here, but really didnt digest it clearly enough. OC3D seems to compare it favorably to the titan.

29-06-2013, 09:26:53

antihero
^That must be the 780 OC then. It's roughly on par with a Titan @ 837MHz.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.