Intel Core i7-3930K Review

Far Cry 2 and Mafia 2

Intel Core i7-3930K Review

Far Cry 2

Between the bottom and top results from the two i7-39x0 processors we have a single frame per second. Even the minimum frame-rate doesn't vary. Exceptional performance.

Mafia 2

Again the GTX570 has more than enough data fed to it from the CPU to produce a perfectly playable experience in Empire Bay.

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next»

Most Recent Comments

17-02-2012, 07:17:14

tinytomlogan


Want all the benefits of the SandyBridge-E without the huge cost? Welcome to the Core i7-3930K

Continue Reading

17-02-2012, 07:37:21

marsey99
tom whats going on with the ram performance dude?

17-02-2012, 07:38:44

kilobravo
Yeah the 3960X is pointless.Same results at nearly half the price.

17-02-2012, 08:00:31

dipzy
3960x to me is just for bragging rights, "oooooo looook, i've got the best 2011 processor in my rig hehe"

The 3960x is not worth it, 3930k is just perfect

17-02-2012, 08:03:54

dugdiamond
i couldn't agree more with your conclusion dude

if i never had the SR-X in the pipeline, this is the route i would take

17-02-2012, 08:04:49

silentpower
good to know i choose the right one

17-02-2012, 08:39:05

trazom
Very nice review.

Very little difference between the two processors it was rather predictable. I am impressed by the huge difference between the WHQL 285 drivers and 295 Beta drivers.

17-02-2012, 09:17:03

badtaylorx
difference seems rather clear to me....i bet you'd be hard pressed to find an "X" chip that cant hit 2400MHz on the Ram!!!

17-02-2012, 09:57:13

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtaylorx View Post

difference seems rather clear to me....i bet you'd be hard pressed to find an "X" chip that cant hit 2400MHz on the Ram!!!
Wrong. Ive not had one that COULD yet..........

17-02-2012, 10:25:07

Diablo
Great review as ever. Mirrors my own findings on the 3930k, faster than almost anything else (take note, faster than a lot of dual CPU configurations according to AIDA), overclockable to 4.6GHz without much effort, and pretty expensive compared to sandy bridge. Still worth it IMO.

17-02-2012, 10:54:39

ExtremeBB
Thank you for the F@H chart sir, awesome !

Greetings Ray.......

17-02-2012, 10:56:50

badtaylorx
yeah...posted before thinking on that one.....

im so stoooooopid

lost that bet!!!

and wasn't there another way of overclocking on the x79 platform??? is the "sandy way" of overclocking more efficient??? stable???

17-02-2012, 11:36:28

B NEGATIVE
I was so going to get this,till i got a SR 2 coming my way.....

17-02-2012, 14:01:32

Rasmus66
Great review TTL

But you really need a Single Stage compressor to get the most out of these chips.

Maybe you can get someone to donate one for testing?

17-02-2012, 17:18:24

murphy7801
Right thats it im buying it with a rampage extreme 4 and that rather nice mushkin ridgeback (though only 1866)

17-02-2012, 18:26:03

MaXiMiZe
Awesome review. An absolute beast of a CPU

18-02-2012, 04:31:33

unknownuser200
is the SLIGHT extra performance more the cache or the stock clock speed being higher on the 3960x .. the 3960x being 3.3 and the 3930k at 3.2?

18-02-2012, 04:39:38

d6bmg
Very good review.

18-02-2012, 04:43:22

Rasmus66
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownuser200 View Post

is the SLIGHT extra performance more the cache or the stock clock speed being higher on the 3960x .. the 3960x being 3.3 and the 3930k at 3.2?
It is the more cache in the 3960X

The best way to see the more performence is with 3dmark vantage cpu benchmark.

A 3930K cpu needs to clock 200-400 MHz higher then the 3960X to match the cpu score because of the additional cache in the 3960X cpu.

18-02-2012, 04:47:55

SparkleDJackson
this vid made me happy with the amount of money that i spent

18-02-2012, 08:02:14

Sgt.Bilko
Good review Tom.

Being a fellow enthusiast, I agree with you. If you have the best gear , use it!

Unfortunately, unlike you, I'm not a reviewer so I use what I've got/can afford.

ASUS Sabertooth X58

Core i7 I7-930 8 MB@3.8MHz

Corsair Dominator 3 x 2 GB@1600MHz

Gainward GTX 570 Golden Sample (1.25 G

Crucial RealSSD C300 128 GB for OS and favourite games.

It works well, but I'm chomping at the bit...gaging for a new rig!

I've never waited so long to upgrade before, but I'm holding out to see what Ivy Bridge brings with it.

I'm of course expecting some great CPUs with exceptional "bang for the buck".

I'm also interested to see what improvements come to the LGA1155 platform.

I'm hoping to see some advancement in Lucid Virtu software.

Improved onboard SATA 600 controllers and native USB 3.0 (I'm thinking Z68 Chipset here).

Even the cheaper 3930K, in my humble opinion, is way to expensive. Coupled with 2011 platform and 4 channel RAM prices, I won't pay that much.

I'm a gamer and I'm a bit one-eyed when it comes to a PC. Can it play the games I like, flat out at a reasonable price?

My rigs time has almost come, so I'm hoping Ivy Bridge can be my next good buy.

Ps. I noticed in your charts the 950 has been downgraded to an i5

18-02-2012, 08:22:00

ExtremeBB
Well that's IMHO still a great rig

18-02-2012, 11:21:11

Alicarve
good review, had the chance to have a play with one of these when they first came out and they are awesome! just can't afford one for myself

managed to get 4.5ghz with 1.28v i wanted to get more out of it but my friend said no higher than 1.3v

18-02-2012, 12:20:58

kejser11
Very happy to read that test, Guv! Looking for a CPU to go with my new Rampage IV, seems like I found it. Here in DK 3960X sell at about 800!! So good to know, that you can have almost the same power at 450!!! Agree that these prices are insane

18-02-2012, 19:07:18

yassarikhan786
Awesome review TTL . Might do a 2011 rig for a F@H rig instead of Ivy, don't know yet :/

19-02-2012, 01:14:18

Legacy-ZA
Awesome review TTL, I agree with you completely, if money is no option then go with the i7 3960X but if you are a bit tight on cash, it would be best to go with the i7 3930K.

On a side note, I am really looking forward to see the performance comparisons between these 2011 CPU's and the new Ivy Bridge CPU's that will be released later this year.

19-02-2012, 09:11:12

MaXiMiZe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Bilko View Post

Good review Tom.

Being a fellow enthusiast, I agree with you. If you have the best gear , use it!

Unfortunately, unlike you, I'm not a reviewer so I use what I've got/can afford.

ASUS Sabertooth X58

Core i7 I7-930 8 MB@3.8MHz

Corsair Dominator 3 x 2 GB@1600MHz

Gainward GTX 570 Golden Sample (1.25 G

Crucial RealSSD C300 128 GB for OS and favourite games.

It works well, but I'm chomping at the bit...gaging for a new rig!

I've never waited so long to upgrade before, but I'm holding out to see what Ivy Bridge brings with it.

I'm of course expecting some great CPUs with exceptional "bang for the buck".

I'm also interested to see what improvements come to the LGA1155 platform.

I'm hoping to see some advancement in Lucid Virtu software.

Improved onboard SATA 600 controllers and native USB 3.0 (I'm thinking Z68 Chipset here).

Even the cheaper 3930K, in my humble opinion, is way to expensive. Coupled with 2011 platform and 4 channel RAM prices, I won't pay that much.

I'm a gamer and I'm a bit one-eyed when it comes to a PC. Can it play the games I like, flat out at a reasonable price?

My rigs time has almost come, so I'm hoping Ivy Bridge can be my next good buy.

Ps. I noticed in your charts the 950 has been downgraded to an i5
3.8MHz ???

19-02-2012, 15:36:04

Sgt.Bilko
"3.8MHz ???"

Yeah MaXiMiZe, I mean of course 3.8GHz. Thanks for the headsup

19-02-2012, 16:21:56

BKCXb
GOOD review, this was the chip I wanted to go with when Intel first announced it!

It seems like it likes 4.5 to 4.6 Ghz for a daily overclock, but what about the Memory Kit???

I know Tom reviews with Dominatior 2400Mhz kits so he can mess around clocks and timings, but what frenquency does this chip hold at 4.5 to 4.6 Ghz

I was thinking 1600 would be boring, because I would always know it had more....

1866 would be just about right, without spending more than needed just to get a few extra benchmark points(law of diminishing returns)

2133 are just coming down in price but can this chip hold it? and more importantly use the extra bandwith without a stupid overclock and daily use unfriendly volts?

2400 are out but if Tom can't find a chip to hold that , I'm not even gonna try, money could be used elsewhere.

19-02-2012, 19:13:33

murphy7801
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKCXb View Post

GOOD review, this was the chip I wanted to go with when Intel first announced it!

It seems like it likes 4.5 to 4.6 Ghz for a daily overclock, but what about the Memory Kit???

I know Tom reviews with Dominatior 2400Mhz kits so he can mess around clocks and timings, but what frenquency does this chip hold at 4.5 to 4.6 Ghz

I was thinking 1600 would be boring, because I would always know it had more....

1866 would be just about right, without spending more than needed just to get a few extra benchmark points(law of diminishing returns)

2133 are just coming down in price but can this chip hold it? and more importantly use the extra bandwith without a stupid overclock and daily use unfriendly volts?

2400 are out but if Tom can't find a chip to hold that , I'm not even gonna try, money could be used elsewhere.
I personally feel that 1866 is best performance to price at the mo

14-03-2012, 04:15:11

Thaloc
Hello,

First off just wanted to say that I love your reviews

I'm building a new rig at the end of April, and I was planing on using the I7 3930k after your review on my rampage 4.

However I have been reading that it only supports 1600Mhz ram, I just wanted to know if you can run with lets say Corsair Dominator-GT 4 x 4 GB 2133 MHz.

from the Intel forums they say it can cause issues.

So what's your view on this ?

Sorry for spelling mistakes - Dyslexia =/

14-03-2012, 08:05:23

daDonn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaloc View Post

Hello,

First off just wanted to say that I love your reviews

I'm building a new rig at the end of April, and I was planing on using the I7 3930k after your review on my rampage 4.

However I have been reading that it only supports 1600Mhz ram, I just wanted to know if you can run with lets say Corsair Dominator-GT 4 x 4 GB 2133 MHz.

from the Intel forums they say it can cause issues.

So what's your view on this ?

Sorry for spelling mistakes - Dyslexia =/
In most cases yes - it'll depend on the memory chips and motherboard, though.

If you want to be certain you could always look up the "approved memory module" documentation list that the motherboard vendor makes available.

09-06-2013, 13:11:37

Hawker_Ant
Has anyone bothered to notice Intel Identity Protection Technology on the 2nd gen i7 processors?

Just building a new machine, how do I turn off the spying mechanism? Can I turn off this 'feature'? I know there is 'software' to turn it off... but can I turn it off at the hardware level?

Really, it's not necessary, in any way or form. There are SSL certificates, and AT-TLS... my understanding that was identification of CPU's at the hardware level was denied by Congress years ago??? Why is this there?

Thanks, Ant.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.