ASUS ROG Maximus VII Formula Review

Introduction and Technical Specifications

ASUS Maximus VII Formula Review

Introduction

Yes, you can finally stop flooding our social media feeds and the OC3D Forums with your requests for the full on ASUS Maximus VII Formula review. It's here. So find a comfy spot and settle in.

If you've been following along, and you have haven't you, then you'll know that the Intel Z97 chipset is an absolute stone cold stunner, with plenty of features and enough performance that pretty much every motherboard we've looked at so far has been outstanding. The ASUS Maximus VII models in particular have been staggering, providing fantastic performance and looks at rock bottom prices. 

The Ranger was stripped down, but not lacking in features. The Hero was a noticeable step up in both looks and performance. Now, with the Maximus VII Formula we have the model that represents the ROG motherboard that finds a home in more systems than any others, the Formula.

The big change with the model range comes as a twofold adjustment. Firstly because we've reviewed the "lesser" models first, we know that you can have extraordinary amounts of performance and specifications for a very low price, so the Formula needs to offer a lot extra to justify the inflated price point. Secondly, we've heard that there wont be an Extreme variant of the Maximus VII, so the Formula is now at the top of the tree. This will add yet more pressure on it to deliver in spades. So let's find out if it does.

Technical Specifications

There are plenty of updates to the Formula when compared to its Z87 predecessor. ASUS have helpfully highlighted these in red for an easy 'at a glance' view. Sadly red on black doesn't work very well with the JPEG compression format, despite running at 100% quality. Then again any text on a black background is hard to read. So this specification table is brought to you courtesy of your local optician.

If you have been keeping up with what the Z97s have to offer then a lot of this will be very familiar to you. The big changes are faster DDR3 (up to 3300MHz), updated Intel I218-V LAN port that annihilates the KillerNIC for traffic shaping, SATA Express support for blistering transfer speed, improved ASUS Sonic sound reproduction, full PWM support on all 8 fan headers and finally the expected incremental updates to the ASUS technologies.

ASUS Maximus VII Formula Preview     ASUS Maximus VII Formula Preview  

ASUS Maximus VII Formula Preview     ASUS Maximus VII Formula Preview

Below is our video when we first previewed the board giving you a good upclose look at the board and the contents of the box.

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next»

Most Recent Comments

30-07-2014, 13:15:08

tinytomlogan
http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...145529938l.JPG

The wait is finally over and you can stop asking us. Today we release our full review of the Maximus VII Formula.

Read more on the ASUS ROG Maximus VII Formula Review here

30-07-2014, 13:18:31

Dicehunter
Time for the large OC3D mug and some tissues, My body is ready !!!

30-07-2014, 13:18:49

MadShadow
I am so ready for this. Time to get a drink

30-07-2014, 13:51:06

drunkenvalley
Put this board in the RV05!

30-07-2014, 13:55:03

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenvalley View Post
Put this board in the RV05!

Might take a while - Gary reviewed that and hes about 300 miles away!

30-07-2014, 13:56:41

drunkenvalley
Hehe. Just thought I'd bring it up since you mention not being able to see the backplate on the board more.

30-07-2014, 14:31:41

RickPlaysWarr
Hi

Glad I had the large cup of coffee. To me I am glad I have the Hero and did not wait for the VII Formula. I do like the M.2 slot that is not completely buggered and love the overall looks of the Hero. The performance as Tom pointed out is about the same. I also like the Black/Red ROG heatsink that lights up for the chipset and the Red highlights on the MB on the Hero.

I don't know when I will get to Sata Express, but the M.2 is a reality especially if I find one with a black pcb or build a small shroud to cover it up on the Hero.

Also - Epic 8-Pack mention in the video Tom!!!!

Thank you again

-Rick-

P.S. I would gladly make a contribution to the fund for a new overclocking guide video. Call it a Tom Starter fund. Would love if you did VII Hero board for Z97 guide.

30-07-2014, 14:36:37

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPlaysWarr View Post
Hi

Glad I had the large cup of coffee. To me I am glad I have the Hero and did not wait for the VII Formula. I do like the M.2 slot that is not completely buggered and love the overall looks of the Hero. The performance as Tom pointed out is about the same. I also like the Black/Red ROG heatsink that lights up for the chipset and the Red highlights on the MB on the Hero.

I don't know when I will get to Sata Express, but the M.2 is a reality especially if I find one with a black pcb or build a small shroud to cover it up on the Hero.

Also - Epic 8-Pack mention in the video Tom!!!!

Thank you again

-Rick-

P.S. I would gladly make a contribution to the fund for a new overclocking guide video. Call it a Tom Starter fund. Would love if you did VII Hero board for Z97 guide.
Thnk you but no thank you dude. Its really not a good look to accept money like that. Its only not being done because of TIME not finances

30-07-2014, 14:43:36

RickPlaysWarr
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Thnk you but no thank you dude. Its really not a good look to accept money like that. Its only not being done because of TIME not finances
Completely understand Tom, would never offer money for a review or preferential treatment. Just hoping the guide comes up sometime soon . About to get the second GTX 760 Striker Platinum and the CPU to finish the Hero Rig.

Thanks for all your hard work Tom!

--Rick--

30-07-2014, 15:10:45

Kong
Great review. I would like to have seen the water cooling in use and reviewed, temps and flow rates.

It's just too bad my 3370K is still chewing through everything, I would get one of these. Maybe its time to donate my board and chip to my daughter, and pick this up for my water cooling gear.

30-07-2014, 15:36:06

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Great review. I would like to have seen the water cooling in use and reviewed, temps and flow rates.

It's just too bad my 3370K is still chewing through everything, I would get one of these. Maybe its time to donate my board and chip to my daughter, and pick this up for my water cooling gear.

Water would have been a waste of time if we had no issues what so ever on air - I even mentioned it in the video.

30-07-2014, 15:38:33

Wraithguard
This made me moist! How nice would this board be if it was suspended in a glass box, via those cable sign fittings.... and the Armour done in carbon hydrographics.

30-07-2014, 16:04:54

Dicehunter
Is it just my youtube or is the video only in 480p ?

30-07-2014, 16:06:15

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Is it just my youtube or is the video only in 480p ?
It takes a while for YouTube to process. Just wait a few minutes.

30-07-2014, 16:06:39

Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Water would have been a waste of time if we had no issues what so ever on air - I even mentioned it in the video.
I know, but still something to tinker with, and like you said, it can look really good.

30-07-2014, 16:08:13

tinytomlogan
Youtube is taking a fuarking age to process stuff today

30-07-2014, 16:10:50

Wraithguard
Working fine for me at 1080.

30-07-2014, 16:11:55

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
Working fine for me at 1080.
Lucky, I had to watch it in majestic 480p :P

30-07-2014, 16:12:45

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Youtube is taking a fuarking age to process stuff today
Yeah I've noticed that it's quite sow today

30-07-2014, 16:16:14

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Yeah I've noticed that it's quite sow today
Lol, they gave half of their servers to the twitch devision

30-07-2014, 16:55:41

Nogginthenog
Well, I like the video and the board, but I ended up wanting some boiled eggs.

31-07-2014, 02:52:41

Thelosouvlakia
So they've taken the Hero and upgraded it to "enthusiast grade", essentially?

On a sidenote, we have to get mugs with a man's ugly face on them xD

31-07-2014, 02:56:17

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelosouvlakia View Post
So they've taken the Hero and upgraded it to "enthusiast grade", essentially?
More like upgraded it to "extreme overclocking" grade. I see the entire Maximus line-up as enthusiast grade.

31-07-2014, 03:10:02

Lonestar166
Excellent review Tom, but not enough to make me change my mind. I am still going to wait for Haswell E on a X99 chipset with DDR4.

31-07-2014, 03:22:40

ShaunB-91
The board looks good naked to me, still not watched the whole video so I shall carry on shortly.

31-07-2014, 06:46:22

Thelosouvlakia
I feel however that the motherboard shouldn't get a gold award just for the m.2 thingy.
I mean ASUS has proven that it can place it in a whole lot other more useful places than where it decided to actually place it

31-07-2014, 06:57:28

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelosouvlakia View Post
I feel however that the motherboard shouldn't get a gold award just for the m.2 thingy.
I mean ASUS has proven that it can place it in a whole lot other more useful places than where it decided to actually place it
It fits the 60mm long and 40mm long one. Ive yet to see a M.2 SSD on this forum yet. It is an oversight but was probably designed before the big drives became more mainstream.

31-07-2014, 07:03:23

XANADV
I really wish Tom talked more about the audio quality. Part of what makes a gaming motherboard a gaming motherboard is the onboard audio. If anyone here has this mobo I, and I'm sure others, would like to know what his/her impressions are. The DAC is a nice touch though. Overall an evolution of the last gen Max VI needless to say. My M5F shall continue to serve me well.

31-07-2014, 07:16:23

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by XANADV View Post
I really wish Tom talked more about the audio quality. Part of what makes a gaming motherboard a gaming motherboard is the onboard audio. If anyone here has this mobo I, and I'm sure others, would like to know what his/her impressions are. The DAC is a nice touch though. Overall an evolution of the last gen Max VI needless to say. My M5F shall continue to serve me well.
Its one of the best audio boards there is matey - Id rate this higher than the Xonar 50 add in card quality wise.

31-07-2014, 07:31:34

XANADV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Its one of the best audio boards there is matey - Id rate this higher than the Xonar 50 add in card quality wise.
If its THAT good then one has to wonder, how does it compare to something higher end, say an STX II or Soundblaster Z... I'm no audiophile, but its a subject I've been studying with great interest lately.

31-07-2014, 07:32:38

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by XANADV View Post
If its THAT good then one has to wonder, how does it compare to something higher end, say an STX II or Soundblaster Z...
You cant compare them like that and trying too would get you slapped with a wet fish for being a n0000b

31-07-2014, 07:50:01

XANADV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
You cant compare them like that and trying too would get you slapped with a wet fish for being a n0000b
I'm no n00B dammit [throws wet fish]! I'm a level 20-something imo! Still the information would surely be useful to people looking at gaming mobos especially. Maybe not objective measurements but a subjective impression would be good enough for your audience here.

31-07-2014, 07:55:58

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by XANADV View Post
I'm no n00B dammit [throws wet fish]! I'm a level 20-something imo! Still the information would surely be useful to people looking at gaming mobos especially. Maybe not objective measurements but a subjective impression would be good enough for your audience here.

Audio is exactly that though.

31-07-2014, 09:01:15

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by XANADV View Post
If its THAT good then one has to wonder, how does it compare to something higher end, say an STX II or Soundblaster Z... I'm no audiophile, but its a subject I've been studying with great interest lately.
Soundblaster Z sounds like crinkley old decaying horse arse when compared to ANYTHING Asus has IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
You cant compare them like that and trying too would get you slapped with a wet fish for being a n0000b
This comment made my day

31-07-2014, 09:16:01

RickPlaysWarr
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
It fits the 60mm long and 40mm long one. Ive yet to see a M.2 SSD on this forum yet. It is an oversight but was probably designed before the big drives became more mainstream.
There will be one soon. I have an idea for a very nice shroud so am going to order one of the Plextor drives on payday. Its going to be my Boot drive on the H440/Hero Build.

--Rick--

31-07-2014, 10:06:01

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
You cant compare them like that and trying too would get you slapped with a wet fish for being a n0000b
Ive heard that one before

31-07-2014, 16:25:03

Lonestar166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
You cant compare them like that and trying too would get you slapped with a wet fish for being a n0000b
I almost spit up.

31-07-2014, 17:39:27

RizeAllard
Hmm... It looks good. If im not waiting for x99 platform I would thinking about this board. The M2 slot issue is a bothering thing but i could live with it at the moment... I would prefer pci slot card insted of m.2 at the moment but maybe in the future i change my mind on it. Its good to hear that ASUS give us the oportunity to customise the "thermal armor". A big plus for ASUS for that.

31-07-2014, 19:02:02

hyperlobic
Tom,

This is exactly the review I was looking for. I was torn between a smaller build using the M7G but I believe this review sealed it for me. Not for technical reasons so much as the look of sheer bliss on your face when talking about this board.

As to the M.2 issue, I may be wrong but the new Samsung TLC drives are right at 51mm. Since you can get them all the way up to a full TB, I'd suggest that the M.2 is usable if you find the right drive.

As always, great stuff.

LOL @ atomic coitus shirt.

02-08-2014, 06:53:59

atomicpyro
been looking to get a decent mobo of some sort..

05-08-2014, 15:57:43

stampedeadam
Please don't take offence at what I'm about to say Mr Logan, I massively respect your site and the reviews you do for us, and really like your review style, it's a breath of fresh air compared to some of the stuffy nonsense you find elsewhere on the web.

BUT...

I am honestly struggling to believe the results of the gaming test. Obviously motherboards vary in quality, looks and facilities, and you might expect different BIOS versions will run stuff on some boards better or worse, and might even different versions of CPU microcode that might vary performance a bit - as the Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs tests show. But according to your graph, the FPS on Hitman Absolution varied between 75.2 and 95.4 with the same spec components and just a board change.

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...150427364l.jpg

This is a HUGE difference. Surely some mistake?

21-08-2014, 08:58:14

Ow Winter
Great review Tom, thankyou

This looks like it will be a worthy upgrade from the Original Asus Maximus Formula i'm still rocking at the moment
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.