ASUS Maximus VII Hero Review

Features

ASUS Maximus VII Hero Preview

Other Highlights

We're so used to the excellent PCI Express release switch and single-sided DIMM clips that we've almost forgotten how useful they are. If you've ever removed all the skin from your knuckles on a heatsink whilst trying to remove your GPU from the first slot, then the ASUS Q Slot is a boon. Power delivery will be one of the biggest areas of change with the 5th Generation Intel CPUs and the Extreme Engine DIGI+ III with a total of 13+2 phases could really make a difference to the overclocking potential and system stability of the Maximus VII Hero.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero Preview     ASUS Maximus VII Hero Preview  

The new UEFI BIOS is even sleeker and faster than it was before, and it was already excellent. Everything is where you expect it to be, and clearly laid out. Going back to a regular BIOS is like returning to the days of AGP and Serial Ports such is the difference. The Maximus VII Hero also allows full fan control on every connector. No longer do you have to make careful note of which fan should go where to maximise its potential.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero Preview     ASUS Maximus VII Hero Preview  

The SSD Secure Erase feature is one that we're sure certain members of the audience will be glad to have. Certainly it allows you to clear out an OS drive without fear that it is recoverable, or without having to go through the hassle of creating a boot stick/floppy/CD.

Lastly the ASUS KeyBot should allow you to rescue that dusty old keyboard and bring it screaming into the 2000s with media controls and macro functionality. Okay we confess that we don't know of anyone who has a keyboard which doesn't support these features, but maybe you have a favourite you've been loath to move on from and, at the very least, an extra feature can't hurt.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero Preview     ASUS Maximus VII Hero Preview 

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next»

Most Recent Comments

12-05-2014, 08:56:50

tinytomlogan
http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...143657967l.jpg

The first of the Z97 ROG boards is the Maximus VII Hero. An affordable Z97 option with all the ROG bells and whistles. How does it perform?


Continue Reading

12-05-2014, 10:15:58

Wraithguard
Oww snap 5Ghz!!? Great review & nice solid pricing.

Cracking board.... your move Gigabyte..

12-05-2014, 10:25:31

RickPlaysWarr
Love it, Thank you so much for the review Tom. I have mine and am starting on the build. I really hope you get to M.2 reviews soon. The thought of a self contained bootable system that performs great is a big one for me. After seeing this review, I need to buy some better memory than I have to do this board justice.

12-05-2014, 10:25:34

krew
i just wish there would be at least one sata express ;(

12-05-2014, 10:26:31

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPlaysWarr View Post
Love it, Thank you so much for the review Tom. I have mine and am starting on the build. I really hope you get to M.2 reviews soon. The thought of a self contained bootable system that performs great is a big one for me. After seeing this review, I need to buy some better memory than I have to do this board justice.
Its VERY CPU limited too though matey - Id advise 2400mhz tbh

12-05-2014, 11:04:18

Dicehunter
Not to sound like an arse but isn't your 4770K the cherry picked one ?

12-05-2014, 11:07:57

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Not to sound like an arse but isn't your 4770K the cherry picked one ?
'the' no mate. I just won the silicone lottery

12-05-2014, 11:19:28

Dicehunter
Ahh cooleo, Still I'm going to stay with what I have for this year, I'll happily wait for 5770K or what ever they decide to call it, I want a LARGE jump in performance so another gen or 2 wait for me

12-05-2014, 11:47:13

Rory.Will
Great stuff, nice review Tom. Loving the new camera too, the detail is nice and focussed

Just to speculate how do you think the VII Gene will perform compared to this??
Planning an MATX build with the VI Gene at the moment but wondering whether to get the Z97 board with a Haswell CPU and just upgrade later?

Was planning on using my 16GB Dominator Platinum memory too but it's the 1600mhz sticks. Would you recommend higher??

12-05-2014, 12:06:31

MaddenShadow
That was a great video review. Probably among the best so far!

12-05-2014, 12:16:02

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory.Will View Post
Great stuff, nice review Tom. Loving the new camera too, the detail is nice and focussed

Just to speculate how do you think the VII Gene will perform compared to this??
Planning an MATX build with the VI Gene at the moment but wondering whether to get the Z97 board with a Haswell CPU and just upgrade later?

Was planning on using my 16GB Dominator Platinum memory too but it's the 1600mhz sticks. Would you recommend higher??

Not really going to get into that, its only ever going to be a guess....

12-05-2014, 12:26:04

Rory.Will
Fair enough man, I'll just wait for release.

Reading it again, it was a bit of a loaded question to ask you lol. Just got the cogs turning after watching the Hero review, made Z97 allot more exciting.

I'll wait for the reviews.

12-05-2014, 14:10:07

SieB
Well it definitely looks better than the gold boards, still don't like the heatsinks on this either though

Still a good motherboard with good performance, we just need to see what the Devils Canyon chips are like on these Z97 boards.

12-05-2014, 14:11:15

Cru
looks like a great board. hopefully the hero 8 will be similar/better as i can't see me upgrading to z97

12-05-2014, 16:38:25

Dicehunter
Tom that card in your rig in the video, Are you purposely staying focused on it ? You git ! , Oh well only another 2-3 weeks

12-05-2014, 16:39:30

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Tom that card in your rig in the video, You git ! , Oh well only another 2-3 weeks.

Ive got two

12-05-2014, 16:43:55

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Ive got two
I'll swap you my pre-order ? j/k j/k

12-05-2014, 16:57:34

Wraithguard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Tom that card in your rig in the video, Are you purposely staying focused on it ? You git ! , Oh well only another 2-3 weeks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Ive got two
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
I'll swap you my pre-order ? j/k j/k
It's just been one long giggle on here today, certainly has made a long dull day very bright indeed.

12-05-2014, 19:00:39

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
It's just been one long giggle on here today, certainly has made a long dull day very bright indeed.
Tomorrows front page OC3D news from Tom "I'm missing a Matrix card and I think I know who it is, He left a note saying "You can have my pre-order when it arrives lolroflcopter"

13-05-2014, 00:55:19

Sypherian
WOW!! an impressive OC, ASUS certainly aren't messing around I'm still a bit intrigued to see what Gigabyte brings to the game but gotta say I'm already sold .

15-05-2014, 19:41:05

Daumier
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Not really going to get into that, its only ever going to be a guess....

Hopefully a VII Gene review ain't far off...

16-05-2014, 05:14:11

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daumier View Post
Hopefully a VII Gene review ain't far off...
I dont have one yet so its weeks at best

03-06-2014, 07:37:41

Xyon93
Any idea when you'll get a chance to review the Ranger Tom?
Would love to see how it stacks up against its older brother, need to decide whether the extra 30 is worth it as my build is on a fairly tight budget! Thanks
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.