ASUS Maximus IV Extreme B3 Revision Review

Test Setup and Overclocking

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme B3 Revision Review

Test Setup

As we don't have the time nor storage capacity to test long-term data integrity we are taking Intel's word for the fixes and expect the stock performance to remain very much on a par with our previous testing. So today we're going to be looking at the overclocking capabilities of the Maximus compared to our earlier test and another recent review.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme B3
Intel Core i5-2500K CPU
4GB Kingston Genesis Grey Edition
EVGA GTX570
Noctua NH-D14
Cougar CM1000 PSU
Windows 7 64-Bit

Overclocking

This is the real meat of our revisit. When we first reviewed the Maximus IV Extreme our Core i5-2500K topped out at a disappointing 4.6 GHz. We know our chip is capable of 5GHz with sufficient, ahem, encouragement so starting off at what we'd consider a 24/7 voltage of 1.4v on the vCore it didn't take long at all to reach a stable 4.8 GHz. Already a massive improvement on the old Maximus as that wouldn't budge past 4.6 GHz even with 1.5v, which is what we use as a maximum.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme B3 Revision Review  

One of the biggest innovations, and one we definitely enjoy, is the way we can just choose a memory speed regardless of the CPU speed. Our Kingston Genesis happily runs at its rated speed on the M4E without need to adjust anything.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme B3 Revision Review  

Of course we don't just want to know what our "all day" overclock would be. Could this B3 revision make it up to the 5 GHz we've seen before?

With ease is the answer. So much so we didn't need 1.5v, but a mere 1.48v. Not only could it shift up to 5 GHz but it wasn't just a suicide shot. We managed to run all of our tests except PC Mark Vantage at this speed. If that isn't impressive then you need to check your pulse.

My name is Maximus IV Extreme, Motherboard to an over-clocked processor, foundation to a speedy system, and I will have 5GHz with this attempt or the next.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme B3 Revision Review

We could just bump the voltage a little to get through PC Mark, but we prefer to test at speeds we'd live with, because if we could you could and so you know what you're getting for your money.

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next»

Most Recent Comments

23-03-2011, 08:34:58

tinytomlogan
When we first reviewed the Maximus IV it was prior to the well documented P67 problems. ASUS are back with the B3 revision, so we had to take a fresh look.



Continue Reading

23-03-2011, 08:46:09

hdaviator
Out of curiosity, is there a purpose for benchmarking video performance? Will there ever be a difference using different motherboards using the same clocks and hardware? Just curious.

23-03-2011, 08:53:21

SieB
Good motherboard, i'm impressed. 5ghz @ 1.48v stable is good and i'm betting you could push it to 5.5ghz easy.

I'm looking forward to the Big Bang Marshall review now to see who comes out on top, the Maximus or the BBM.

23-03-2011, 09:05:24

marsey99
nice 1 Bryan, good read that mate

how does it stack up against the ud7 and other higher end boards? only i thought the gd65 was a bit of a let down when you tested it

23-03-2011, 09:16:32

VonBlade
The main reason to benchmark video performance is just in case there is some bizarre problem with the PCI-e lanes. Now and again companies add a NF200 or similar to their board, so we run the test just to make sure all is well. It also makes sure that the power-phases are fine and there aren't any bottlenecks anywhere. Plus everyone wants to know the 3D Mark scores, even if they never change.

How does it compare to the BBM? *whistles innocently*

As for the UD7, there isn't much in it tbh. But we could either have graphs that take a week to scroll through, or let you do a tiny bit of legwork. Tabbed browsing has it's benefits

23-03-2011, 12:57:40

Runebeard

My name is Maximus IV Extreme, Motherboard to an over-clocked processor, foundation to a speedy system, and I will have 5GHz with this attempt or the next.



Bryan dude, your reviews crack me up

23-03-2011, 14:02:40

VonBlade
*bows*

Thank you thank you.

23-03-2011, 14:16:35

Satans_Hell
I do think its rather funny that they are labelling the "New B3 Revision" as if its a feature lol

23-03-2011, 15:01:22

CueBall
Now mister Tiny Tom Logan, is the 1366 socket the way to go or the 1155 socket ?.

To be honest, I was all in favor for the 1366 especially since the first review but has somewhat changed after this review.

Kinda keen if you opion is changed after the new revision ?

23-03-2011, 18:00:45

VonBlade
I'm only a humble reviewer, but it depends what you've got now and how desperate you are to upgrade. 1366 will soon be phased out for 2011.

The 1155 is amazing though. Either in 2500K guise or 2600K if you need HT.

If you must have the absolute top-end, hold on for the 2011 revision in a few months time.

23-03-2011, 23:31:45

UkGouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonBlade View Post

I'm only a humble reviewer, but it depends what you've got now and how desperate you are to upgrade. 1366 will soon be phased out for 2011.

The 1155 is amazing though. Either in 2500K guise or 2600K if you need HT.

If you must have the absolute top-end, hold on for the 2011 revision in a few months time.
i would kill for 1366 or 1155 cant afford either hoping i get a fat rebate in april if not then no new pc for me :'(

24-03-2011, 04:05:31

CueBall
Well to be honest, I have now a q9550/Maximus formula/8Gb ram/2xGTX460.

Its running fine, no probs. However mine son needs a new PC.

He`s using a Opteron 147/A8N32-Sli/4GB ram/2x7900GT.

So he`ll be getting mine and me gonna get a new one.

I was aiming at a 1366 setup, however since the revised review I am kinda in the middle.

Seeing this review and the looks of it I kinda eager to get this.

With a 2600k/16Gb dominator ram/2x560Ti Sc it will suite me fine.

But seeing Toms opion I kinda like hmmmm what to get ?

24-03-2011, 05:43:29

SieB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBall View Post

Well to be honest, I have now a q9550/Maximus formula/8Gb ram/2xGTX460.

Its running fine, no probs. However mine son needs a new PC.

He`s using a Opteron 147/A8N32-Sli/4GB ram/2x7900GT.

So he`ll be getting mine and me gonna get a new one.

I was aiming at a 1366 setup, however since the revised review I am kinda in the middle.

Seeing this review and the looks of it I kinda eager to get this.

With a 2600k/16Gb dominator ram/2x560Ti Sc it will suite me fine.

But seeing Toms opion I kinda like hmmmm what to get ?
The thing is those are Tom's opinions and he is basing them on the fact he likes to tinker with his PC and adjust all the settings himself instead of letting the motherboard do it all for him. If you want a powerful PC and you are not bothered about doing all the settings and balancing this and changing that and then upping the other then there is nothing wrong with 1155. But if you do like to do all the settings and tinker with them and spend time getting them all right then you would be better off with 1366 or waiting for 2011. Personally i missed out on X58 and went strait from 775 to 1155 and never learned about how to do overclocking properly but when 2011 comes ouit i am thinking of upgrading so I can learn.

At the end of the day not everyone is interested about doing all the fiddling about and they just want a powerful PC and there is nothing wrong with that IMHO.

24-03-2011, 07:07:40

AMDFTW
smart looking board

24-03-2011, 13:05:47

CueBall
Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post

The thing is those are Tom's opinions, and he is basing them on the fact he likes to tinker with his PC and adjust all the settings himself instead of letting the motherboard do it all for him. If you want a powerful PC and you are not bothered about doing all the settings and balancing this and changing that and then upping the other then there is nothing wrong with 1155. But if you do like to do all the settings and tinker with them and spend time getting them all right then you would be better off with 1366 or waiting for 2011. Personally i missed out on X58 and went strait from 775 to 1155 and never learned about how to do overclocking properly but when 2011 comes ouit i am thinking of upgrading so I can learn.

At the end of the day not everyone is interested about doing all the fiddling about and they just want a powerful PC and there is nothing wrong with that IMHO.
Well I guess your right. I aint that bothered to fiddle around with settings. I do kinda known what to do but I cant be arsed tbh. All I want is a power pc which can run a game when I feel like it. And I dont want a pc which barley can manage it. I known such a board is designed for the overclocker but I am a enthusiast. I do like the state of the art hardware. I usually buy my hardware from EVGA, just mine brand I guess. But the esthatics of this board does look raher sexy and is calling my name. Anyway thanks guys for the help and advise !!

26-03-2011, 17:21:17

SG12004
very nice looking motherboard
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.