Asrock X58 Extreme3 Review
Asrock should be a name familiar to most of you as their motherboards have provided the basis for many pre-built systems over the years. They have provided motherboards in the value bracket for a long time, but with the advent of many new technologies recently it's a very good time to combine everything into one high-end motherboard and really go to town.
So, does the well-known ability of Asrock to provide motherboards that undercut the competition marry well to the need for high performance?
Time to find out.
Nipping along to the Asrock website we can get a list of the specifications for the X58 Extreme3
- Supports the Core i7 980X 6-Core CPU
- ASRock DuraCap (2.5 x longer life time), 100% Japan-made high-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors
- Advanced V8 Power Phase Design
- Supports Triple Channel DDR3 2000 (OC)
- Supports ATI™ CrossFireX™ and Quad CrossFireX™
- Supports NVIDIA® Quad SLI™ and SLI™
- 1 x Powered eSATAIII/USB Connector, 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connector, 2 x USB 3.0 Ports
- ErP/EuP Ready, Dr. Debug
- Smart Swith Design : Power / Reset / Clear CMOS Switch with LED
- Supports ASRock Instant Boot, Instant Flash, OC DNA, Multi-Speed Fan Control, OC Tuner, IES, Good Night LED
- 7.1 CH HD Audio (VT2020 Audio Codec with QSound), SRN 110dB & Premium Blu-ray audio support
- Combo Cooler Option (C.C.O.)
- Free Bundle: CyberLink DVD Suite - OEM and Trial; Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi MB - Trial
With native support for the very latest 32nm Intel processors and the 333 (eSATA 6Gb/s, SATA3 6Gb/s and USB3.0) technologies this definitely ticks all the boxes for our hardware needs. Running down the list the only thing we're slightly concerned about is the use of the VIA VT2020 instead of the excellent Realtek ALC889 found on nearly every other X58 motherboard.
Okay time to take a look at what we get.