AMD Kaveri A10-7850K & A10-7700K Review

Alien vs Predator & Counter Strike: Source

AMD Kaveri A10-7850K Review

 

 

Alien vs Predator

Moving onto the real game benchmarks now, and first up we have Alien vs Predator. We aim to test a wide variety of games to show the performance you should expect if you had the system. The benchmark runs at the same resolution as you have set in Windows, which was 1920x1080 in our case.

AMD Kaveri A10-7850K & A10-7700K Review

The 7850K only performs a little better than the previous models in this test. The RAM scores and Crossfire scores are far more interesting here showing a 40% increase in performance from increasing the RAM speed, and then almost a 100% increase in performance from adding the dedicated graphics card. This is a similar story with the 7700K which is making us wondering what the extra £25 you'd spend in buying the 7850K would really get you in terms of performance.

 

Counter Strike: Source

Counter Strike: Source is one of the most popular games out there, and it uses one of the most common game engines too. This should mean that our results from this benchmark can be extrapolated to other Source based games, such as Team Fortress 2 and the Half Life series.

AMD Kaveri A10-7850K & A10-7700K Review

We see a very different story in Counter Strike than we saw in AvP. The 7850K itself manages to acheive two and a half times more performance than the 6800K could. Again, RAM speed and adding the second card make large differences in results, albeit not quite as much as we saw in the previous test. The 7700K does trail a little more behind the 7850K than we've seen in previous tests, but it still twice as good as the older APUs. Another thing to notice is how close both APUs get to the 'Battlefield 4 Budget Build' which uses an R9 270, which we would have expected to be a long way ahead.

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next»

Most Recent Comments

03-04-2014, 05:34:12

tinytomlogan
http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...102652907l.jpg

We take a look at AMD's latest range of APUs - the A10-7850K, and the A10-7700K!


Continue Reading

03-04-2014, 06:42:06

barnsley
heh, not surprised the 7700k is better value for money. Its the case with AMD really, the top of the range one isn't really worth it.

03-04-2014, 07:33:54

SeekaX
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
heh, not surprised the 7700k is better value for money. Its the case with AMD really, the top of the range one isn't really worth it.
That's the case with every company.
Best value for money is always somewhere in the middle.

03-04-2014, 15:14:08

Zoot
It's a shame the A8-7600 isn't available to buy yet.

That was (IMO) the real star of the show when it came to Kaveri.

03-04-2014, 16:51:30

jamesriley94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
It's a shame the A8-7600 isn't available to buy yet.

That was (IMO) the real star of the show when it came to Kaveri.
I think there's a limit of how far I'd want performance to drop before I'd just start looking elsewhere tbh.

The 7700K and 7850K got good awards here because they offered all round CPU performance, as well as good gaming performance, especially if coupled with the R7 250.

The issue when you start to drop down, especially with these, is that there are probably better options out there. For gaming, a Pentium and R9 270 wouldn't cost much more and would get you better gaming performance, and an Intel i5 would most certainly get you better CPU performance in the majority of likely tasks you'd be running.

Give it a couple of years, and I reckon these APUs will really start taking off and becoming viable options for more than just a budget gaming system.

04-04-2014, 13:22:08

Zoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesriley94 View Post
The issue when you start to drop down, especially with these, is that there are probably better options out there. For gaming, a Pentium and R9 270 wouldn't cost much more and would get you better gaming performance, and an Intel i5 would most certainly get you better CPU performance in the majority of likely tasks you'd be running.
I'm not too pushed about benchmark numbers to be truthful. If you can't notice the difference I find it very hard to get excited about it even though everybody else does. It was the reason I bought an FX-8350 over an i5 or i7 last year too.

Anyway, I don't know about you, but for something around 100 euros a 45W APU like the A8-7600 that would be capable of running older games and indie games is quite a good deal for me, particularly for a HTPC. Although I agree for a dedicated gaming rig, I'd certainly be looking elsewhere.

04-04-2014, 13:58:05

SeekaX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
I'm not too pushed about benchmark numbers to be truthful. If you can't notice the difference I find it very hard to get excited about it even though everybody else does. It was the reason I bought an FX-8350 over an i5 or i7 last year too.

Anyway, I don't know about you, but for something around 100 euros a 45W APU like the A8-7600 that would be capable of running older games and indie games is quite a good deal for me, particularly for a HTPC. Although I agree for a dedicated gaming rig, I'd certainly be looking elsewhere.
That depends on how much attention you pay to detail. And what you use your CPU for. I prefer my i5 over an 8350 because i don't need to fear that some game will run god awful for some odd optimization issue.

04-04-2014, 14:16:41

Zoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
That depends on how much attention you pay to detail. And what you use your CPU for. I prefer my i5 over an 8350 because i don't need to fear that some game will run god awful for some odd optimization issue.
I've had this discussion before with others here. Might not be with you, but I've certainly had it before. No desire to repeat, it's off-topic anyway.

Forgot to mention - my thanks to James for the review.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.