AMD A10-6800K Richland Overclocked Review

PCMark

AMD A10-6800K Richland Overclocked Review

PCMark

Futuremark's PCMark benchmarks are great for testing the overall performance of a system. Tests include processor performance, web browsing, spreadsheets and image manipulation to name a few, and the results should indicate how well the processors are affecting the overall system.

PCMark 8

A brand new addition to our test lineup, PCMark 8 promises to be the best yet. We implement three of its five tests to show what difference the overclocking can do for overall system performance. 
We can see that the overclocked chipped triumphs over its stock self with the Home and Creative tests but falls behind a little with the Work one. This strange result may be a lack of Richland support within the processor as there's not really a reason for the overclocked system not to win outright when set against the stock 6800K.

 

PCMark Vantage

Vantage, a firm favourite for overall system performance, shows the overclocked system taking the crown as it gets top score in every section.

 

PCMark 7

Whereas the 6800K was neck and neck with the i3 before we can now see it pulling ahead from the others. Our 500MHz overclock yields an 8.5% increase in performance over the stock settings.

   

 

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next»

Most Recent Comments

26-06-2013, 05:01:55

Josh Weston
We've covered this APU already, but that was at completely stock settings. Let's see what it can do when we turn up the clocks!


http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...192155823l.png


Continue Reading

26-06-2013, 08:02:48

chrismjurd
what a budget beast that is

26-06-2013, 09:20:21

wilkieway
Now all we need is a dual graphics review if possible.

26-06-2013, 09:24:36

vorticalbox
for anyone after one the AMD A10-6800K is 106.79 on aria ATM

26-06-2013, 10:52:47

grassman
Something that is easily noticeable is games with high res textures don't see a large boost in performance(10-15%), While older games with less complicated textures are seeing massive 30-50% increases. I am inclined to believe with the evidence shown that there is too much Space + Time between the CPU and Ram. Kaveri just got a lot more exciting xD

Glad the OC + Stock reviews ended up happening in this matter, It really shows how big of a hit you are taking when you do not overclock.

26-06-2013, 11:42:47

NeverBackDown
Considerng Richland was more of a tweak off of Trinity; these results show just how great APUs can be in the future.

26-06-2013, 22:20:35

Mgutierrez33
I am not overly shocked by these results, but I'm incredibly pleased nonetheless. Great little chip AMD has produced, and a great review. Now I have yet another build arrangement to play around with for people who are on a srs budget :-).

27-06-2013, 18:07:30

MicroAlex
If you want to run a proper GPU in your rig, is there any reason to get an APU for that setup? Or a similarly priced AMD CPU would perform better in that config?

27-06-2013, 19:38:59

iiBetrayforAR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroAlex View Post
If you want to run a proper GPU in your rig, is there any reason to get an APU for that setup? Or a similarly priced AMD CPU would perform better in that config?
Proper GPU, no not really, but if you want a low end GPU (Not exactly which one(s)), you can pair the dGPU with the iGPU, for a sort of Crossfire configuration. But pretty much getting a real GPU is a better idea at that point lol.

Nice review, if I had a spare $500 I would do a rig with one of these and try to make a profit off of it on eBay.

27-06-2013, 19:53:59

MicroAlex
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiBetrayforAR View Post
Proper GPU, no not really, but if you want a low end GPU (Not exactly which one(s)), you can pair the dGPU with the iGPU, for a sort of Crossfire configuration. But pretty much getting a real GPU is a better idea at that point lol.
Thanks for the reply.
True, heard about that as well, but from what I know that hybrid crossfire setup is not worth it, maybe I am wrong. Just curious

In my mind APUs with proper GPU's make sense in laptops, I have seen some MSI gaming laptops with top end APU's and a 7970m under the hood... and the price is so attractive! I mean comparing that configuration to an Intel based one is like day and night. Curious if the performance is really that great in real world scenario to justify the paring of such components together.
Currently I am rocking a bit dated Asus multimedia laptop with an Intel 720qm and 5730m in it (still lovin it), but benchmarks suggest that the APU's processor and graphics power surpassed my config. Quite sad, yet I am happy to see AMD moving up.

28-06-2013, 13:05:44

NeverBackDown
The Mxxx GPUs in laptops only kick in when doing intensive tasks(gaming). The iGPU is used for everything else. At least i'm 90% sure thats how it works.

30-06-2013, 08:57:26

FTLN
Nice review Josh

01-07-2013, 09:48:05

Initialised
With the A10 5800K I found that increasing the RAM to 2133MHz got bigger gains than adding a 6450 and cost less. Once you move to Hybrid Crossfire the gains from increasing RAM speed are more marginal. Alternatively, once you increase the RAM speed there's no point adding a 6450. The A10 6800K and A8 6600K wont work with the 6450 so I couldn't repeat the test. The A10 6800K and 6670 performance is similar so you'd expect 75-100% improvement with a Hybrid setup so long as you match the APU and GPU core and memory clocks and frame buffer to keep Microstutter at bay.

For example AMD APU @4.56GHz (120x38), iGPU @1.2GHz, 8GB RAM (2GB dedicated to GPU) @1200MHz (2400MHz DDR), 6670 GPU @ 1200MHz 2GB vRAM @1200MHz.

TBH it's a lot of tuning for a budget system that's best suited to gaming on a 720p screen and there's no guarantee that the 6670 will OC as well as you need to get it to match up with the APU after buying top end RAM.

01-07-2013, 09:55:44

MicroAlex
Thanks for the info mate! This was really informative

08-07-2013, 22:13:26

jspurgeon07
At the end it says we have to learn the "oc3d way," I'm ready to do so, but i cannot for the life of me fined those guides. I googled, i searched the sight, I searched the forums, I looked at the .tv thing... Where the heck are they? I want that GPU boost!

09-07-2013, 03:59:04

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspurgeon07 View Post
At the end it says we have to learn the "oc3d way," I'm ready to do so, but i cannot for the life of me fined those guides. I googled, i searched the sight, I searched the forums, I looked at the .tv thing... Where the heck are they? I want that GPU boost!

We did an Ivy Bridge guide mate but the theory works for all cpu's & apu's.

Its honestly not hard if you follow all the steps. Try looking at the front page of the site. If you looked at "the tv thing" you didnt look hard enough.

12-07-2013, 05:51:02

Canders8
I've been able to hit a max of 5.4 on air before it crashed, but use it daily at 5.2

27-07-2013, 23:22:41

mgrandy
I hav bought a week ago 6670, amd a-10 680k, corsair h100, next phantom, fm2a55dgs rev2.7 patroit 8gb 1600 mhz ram and not a whole in ma pocket looks good to me lmao ma gf can clock this thing to 5.0 and graphic clock speeds do really well tbh get 45 fps on fraps with crysis 3 max setting on 1080p 32" tv

Grid 2 engine dont work for me get fps(48) but a nasty blue glitch as soon as you crash
Skyrim engine also is crap sever cpu lag issues on that least grid 2 you can play
Hope the 30th july graphics driver fixs this

Graphic clock goes all way to 900mhz cpu and 1000mhz memory on the auto slide bar crashs every time i increase mem but not cpu

When i get the better a85 chip n better ram this thing should fly only thing limiting ma clock is this, ps clock increase helps alot for loading times on sim3 and i sure as hell dont play that lol on 4gb graphics i got 34fps on cina beanch and 3.29 on cpu score but am findin best fps with apu @ 512 and hd6670 @ 2gb ddr3
Tbh im still playing with the clocks n such
and most probs are thats y a lack of info this thing is a hell of a lot of fun give me 6 months to go through the clocks lol

with normal apu grid 2 was 27 fps with 6670 + apu was 48 fps o i paid 26.06+4.1 postage for and extra 20 fps on avrage

the whole build cost was 65 for phantom case, cpu 110, board 40, ram like 50, h100 65, 6670 26

temp with h100 @5.0 was 76'c untill the fans speed went up then dropped to 60'c apu onboard was -6'c
now ive added the hd 6670 the graphic tems hit no more than 55'c

28-07-2013, 05:50:03

SuB
Hi Mgrandy, please don't post multiple consecutive times, I've merged your posts for you. Please read our forum rules, as you obviously haven't already.

We have an edit button for a reason
Thanks

28-07-2013, 10:21:46

mgrandy
sry for this just have been on a few forums it was l8 in uk time and theres alot of info that i missed out wont happen again

28-07-2013, 11:09:59

GoogalyMoogaly
Not really surprising that it managed to beat an un-overclocked version of itself and the previous version of itself. Or for that mater a dual core Intel that is known to have a worse GPU.
However still interesting to see how it performed.

Currently seems that for real gaming you can't beat a dedicated GPU though. I mean a lot of the average framerates were pretty low even on low detail settings. Plus, minimum framerates need to be considered too.

Would also have been interested to see how an i5 would've done against it in the CPU tests, even though the chips are quite a bit more expensive it'd be nice to see how well the AMD chips compares to another quad core.

Also, since I suspect the i3 setup would probably be a bit cheaper I wonder how it would do if you paired it with a dedicated GPU. That might mean you could get away with cheaper memory too? Meaning you may be able to save enough to get you to a 6670 (more or less, depending on offers, etc.)

28-07-2013, 11:27:00

mgrandy
ill post ma old cina bench test make of it what you will
http://s23.postimg.org/n424hvxbf/cinebench_results.png

temps after an hour with the h100 was max 76 degrees c

28-07-2013, 11:32:52

Watsyerproblem
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoogalyMoogaly View Post
Not really surprising that it managed to beat an un-overclocked version of itself and the previous version of itself. Or for that mater a dual core Intel that is known to have a worse GPU.
However still interesting to see how it performed.

Currently seems that for real gaming you can't beat a dedicated GPU though. I mean a lot of the average framerates were pretty low even on low detail settings. Plus, minimum framerates need to be considered too.

Would also have been interested to see how an i5 would've done against it in the CPU tests, even though the chips are quite a bit more expensive it'd be nice to see how well the AMD chips compares to another quad core.

Also, since I suspect the i3 setup would probably be a bit cheaper I wonder how it would do if you paired it with a dedicated GPU. That might mean you could get away with cheaper memory too? Meaning you may be able to save enough to get you to a 6670 (more or less, depending on offers, etc.)
it performed admirably in all tests, given how cheap the apu is it is unbeatable, next gen kaveri looks promising, gpu should be a lot stronger with the huma memory interface and gcn cores. couple that with steamroller core with suggested 20+% improvement on core performance.

it will be an interesting launch!

28-07-2013, 13:22:15

vorticalbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canders8 View Post
I've been able to hit a max of 5.4 on air before it crashed, but use it daily at 5.2
What are temps like at 5.2?

28-07-2013, 13:50:58

mgrandy
updated ma post with temps if any 1 can talk me through a manual over-clock eg what settings to give me a guide line i would quit happly do. ive just been using the standard amd feature as of yet also noticed when playing or streaming movies it looks good but on the occasional vid i get major blur like everything goes square for a few secs then goes back to normal and i cant pin it down think this might be the onboard gpu

28-07-2013, 16:00:39

GoogalyMoogaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
it performed admirably in all tests
Compared to what?
It doesn't really have any direct competition. Intel don't have the GPU grunt on their APU/CPUs to compete without dedicated graphics, plus they price themselves out of the low end market.
The A10-6800K seems like a good chip compared to AMDs other APUs, I'm just not sure what gap it fills.

To me, it seems a little overkill for a HTPC that will mostly be playing videos but not quite up to the job of being a gaming platform. But I think I fall into the category mentioned in the review of liking decent framerate with decent levels of detail and decent resolutions. I don't want to have to play at 720p with low detail and make do with 40fps. It's why I don't game on my i7 laptop with 7730M graphics card.

Although I guess it may do well enough at older games. Might be better off with a console though, most of them can do video playback too.

I definitely think AMD are making much better strides on the APU front than Intel. Unless Intel makes some real breakthroughs with their 'onboard' (or on-chip?) graphics, I can see AMD being the ones that do make APUs a viable gaming platform. Unless the new consoles move gaming on to a point that means APUs will struggle again...

29-07-2013, 10:02:40

mgrandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoogalyMoogaly View Post
Compared to what?
Might be better off with a console though, most of them can do video playback too.
the new ps4 and xboxone a using a rundown version of this chip supposedly are they not? y would i buy a crapper version with more money its insane. just for the use of a controller personally i just plug in ma wired xbox controller

the only reason i can come up with to buy 1 of these is for a dedicated game like gran tursmo and that aint a good enough reason not with games like plantside 2. after the blops (black ops) situation with them selling me a half finished game i tend to download the game try out the 1 player and then if all looks good go out n buy the game for multiplayer. no way in hell im chucking 100 pound at a game unless its the bees knees

29-07-2013, 13:23:29

GoogalyMoogaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrandy View Post
the new ps4 and xboxone a using a rundown version of this chip supposedly are they not? y would i buy a crapper version with more money its insane. just for the use of a controller personally i just plug in ma wired xbox controller

the only reason i can come up with to buy 1 of these is for a dedicated game like gran tursmo and that aint a good enough reason not with games like plantside 2. after the blops (black ops) situation with them selling me a half finished game i tend to download the game try out the 1 player and then if all looks good go out n buy the game for multiplayer. no way in hell im chucking 100 pound at a game unless its the bees knees
You think this A10-6800K is gonna be able to run games as well as one of the new consoles?
One of the consoles where the games will be optimised for that exact hardware and OS?
It'd be great if due to the new console architecture that PC ports of console games (which so many are these days) are much more efficient and perform better, but I'm not sure it'll be so much better than current systems that this chip will be able to run all the latest games with details and framerates at the same level as the new consoles.

The XBOX-360/PS3 probably handles the likes of Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 as well (or better) than this chip.

29-07-2013, 13:44:01

grassman
No the consoles are using Jaguar, due for release end of the year / early 2014.

29-07-2013, 13:53:37

Feronix
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman View Post
No the consoles are using Jaguar, due for release end of the year / early 2014.
Clocked at 1.6 GHz

29-07-2013, 22:11:54

mgrandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
Clocked at 1.6 GHz
hahahaha

29-07-2013, 22:26:08

mgrandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoogalyMoogaly View Post

The XBOX-360/PS3 probably handles the likes of Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 as well (or better) than this chip.

xbox 360 and ps3 youll be lucky if its 10% on graphic compared to this chip but i know as im often round laughing at ma m8's elite. cpu wise it may not play at 60 fps like the console but its dam close and with 90% better graphics and gameplay take skyrim for example on this i can increase the view distance per say. on xbox you cant now what the hell is a zoom button doing on the bow if ya cant actually see that far lol your always going to be limited on a console and if ma pc gets tierd i sell the parts n buy anew for still less than a ps4 and ill still get close to top doller where as ps4, xbox will drop at least 50% from new in the first 6 months
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.