XSPC Plexi Bay Reservoir (Black)

A Closer Look

A Closer Look

Normally talking about a clear plexiglass box would be a reviewers nightmare! Thankfully the XSPC Bay Reservoir has some interesting features not seen in other reservoirs on the market.

XSPC Bay Reservoir Front XSPC Bay Reservoir Front

The XSPC Bay Reservoir comes in 3 flavours: silver, black or clear. The silver and black versions come printed with the XSPC logo and water level meter as seen above.

XSPC Bay Reservoir Back XSPC Bay Reservoir Back

The reservoir utilises 2x G1/4" thread connections with WaterCoolingShop giving you the option of either 1/2", 10/8mm or 3/8" barbs free of charge.

Something I found rather strange was that XSPC have provided two places to insert an LED, both of which are in close proximity to each other. This could possibly be a design error as it would make more sense for the LED's to be placed at opposite sites of the res for better light distribution.

Both the inlet and outlets of the reservoir have some unique features to reduce bubbles and foam, the following quote is XSPC's explanation on how this works:

"The semi-circle around the outlet is to stop air being sucked from the top of the reservoir. It also lets the system keep running at a low water level. The guide from the inlet/return cuts down on the noise from splashing when a high powered pump is used."

XSPC Bay Res Fill Port

The top of the reservoir has a filler port for adding water to the system, which is sealed from leakages by a cap complete with rubber o-ring. It's nice to see that XSPC have threaded the port directly into the plexiglass rather than using the method adopted by Danger Den, which can be seen here.

«Prev 1 2 3 4 Next»

Most Recent Comments

28-08-2006, 16:28:14

JN
"Today I'll be taking a look at XSPC's latest addition to their water cooling lineup - the XSPC Bay Reservoir. How does this Plexiglass box differ from others available on the market? - We find out.."

HERE

28-08-2006, 17:25:12

FragTek
Looks good mate, though I'm not a big fan of bay res's myself.

28-08-2006, 17:53:46

NoL
Neither am I frag but this is easily one of the few bay res's I recommend. It's very well made.

28-08-2006, 19:44:02

ai_01
looks good makes me want to get one =P

28-08-2006, 20:07:29

apex32
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='ai_01'
looks good makes me want to get one =P
yea, same. looks great.

29-08-2006, 05:09:26

PV5150
Man that is sexy as I was impressed that the bubble removal feature actually worked, instead of being some sort of non-performing novelty. And 8 min is so much more acceptable than the normal time required to expel/purge air from a water loop. Great review as usual Jim

29-08-2006, 05:11:31

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='PV5150'
Man that is sexy as I was impressed that the bubble removal feature actually worked, instead of being some sort of non-performing novelty. And 8 min is so much more acceptable than the normal time required to expel/purge air from a water loop. Great review as usual Jim
Yes it's very effective. As the water is only ever pulled from the very bottom of the reservoir, none of the bubbles/foam at the top of the res is sucked back through.

29-08-2006, 05:11:31

FarFarAway
I have the DD Res that Jim didn't like and that's pretty nice too. Setting up a loop is far easier with a res and takes a whole lot less time.

I like that Res - not too sure about the XSPC logo tho

29-08-2006, 05:14:19

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempez

I like that Res - not too sure about the XSPC logo tho
It would be nice to see a version of this res that comes with an interchangable front, so you could effectively insert some black/silver card into the front of the reservoir with whatever design on it you liked *thinks OC3D logo *

29-08-2006, 05:28:52

PV5150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempez
I have the DD Res that Jim didn't like and that's pretty nice too. Setting up a loop is far easier with a res and take s a whole lot less time.

I like that Res - not too sure about the XSPC logo tho
Yeah the DD is a nice looking res too Kemp, for sure. Is there any volume difference between the two? The XSPC logo is a little iffy too, but I like the fluid level bar. Although I'm sure it wouldn't take too much effort to remove the logo and replace it with some self made logo out of coloured contact adhesive. On a side note Kemp, the DD res that you have; is it manufactured with screws and glued perspex panels or is it just glued. I'm worried about potential splitting and leakage?

29-08-2006, 05:53:03

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='PV5150'
Yeah the DD is a nice looking res too Kemp, for sure. Is there any volume difference between the two? The XSPC logo is a little iffy too, but I like the fluid level bar. Although I'm sure it wouldn't take too much effort to remove the logo and replace it with some self made logo out of coloured contact adhesive. On a side note Kemp, the DD res that you have; is it manufactured with screws and glued perspex panels or is it just glued. I'm worried about potential splitting and leakage?
The single 5.25" DD res and the XSPC res hold almost identical amounts of water (the XSPC maybe a tiny bit less as it has more internal dividers).

You can buy a clear version of the XSPC reservoir, so putting your own decals over the front is easily possible.

Both the DD res and XSPC res only use glue to seal the units together. Each of the XSPC reservoirs are individually pressure tested - not sure about DD.

29-08-2006, 05:58:12

PV5150
Cool, thanks for the headsup Jim
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.