Phanteks PH-TC14PE Review

Phanteks PH-TC14PE Review

Phanteks PH-TC14PE Review

Introduction

There has been a lot of chatter on the web over the past few weeks about a new company called Phanteks, lots of rumours about the new cooler they have released being a contender for the best cooler crown have been getting thrown around but we obviously needed to give it the OC3D heat sink torture treatment before we were willing to make any statements!

Anyway, this is what Phanteks have to say about themselves:


Phanteks, is a company with more than 20 years international experience in providing thermal solutions. From specialists in providing thermal solutions we have now expanded to a company offering multiple product solutions.

With our thorough technical skills and marketing expertise, we fully optimize the products with thermal possibilities and capabilities. We have always been able to achieve the maximum due to our passion in finding and discovering new technical developments. Phanteks design team which has a base in Europe situated in Holland, consists of creative researchers, designers and developers have always been successful in spotting the exact needs of gamers. This results in our quality products.

Our expertise means no job is impossible, and that every customer is given a professional and personal service that is rare in today’s marketplace. We meet our customers expectations with superior products, customer service and industry knowledge.


Specifications

BrandPHANTEKS

ModelPH-TC14PE

TypeHeatsinks & Fans

CompatibilityIntel Socket LGA1155,1156, LGA 1366, LGA775 and AMD AM2/2+/AM3 (stock backplate required)

ColorWhite

Material.Copper ( Base and 5 x ψ8mm Heat-pipes), Nickel Plated.
.Alum. ( cooling Fins / Top Cover) with Patented P.A.T.S (Physical Anti-Oxidant Thermal Shield) to increase cooling performance.
.Patented C.P.S.C Technology (Cold Plasma Spraying Coating Technology) to enhance thermal conductivity.

Fan ModelPH-F140 Premium Fan.

Fan Size140x140x25 , Dual Fans includes.

Fan Compatibility140x140x25mm x 3 pcs, (120 x 120 x25mm x 3 pcs).    (Third fan clips and accessory included).

Bearing TypeUFB bearing (Updraft Floating Balance bearing)

Blade Geometry9 White colored Blades with MVB (Maelström Vortex Booster) Design

RPM1200 RPM ± 10%

RPM with Q.S.A900 RPM ± 10%

Max Air Flow78.1 CFM

Max Air Flow with QSA60.1 CFM

Max Air Pressure1.21

Max Air Pressure with QSA0.69 mm H2O

Acoustical Noise19 dBA

Acoustical Noise with Q.S.A15.2 dBA

Input Power1.8W

Current (Ampere)0.15A

Rate Voltage12V

MTBFMTBF > 150,000 hr.

Heatsink Dimension (LxWxH) without fan134*140*160mm

Heatsink Dimension (LxWxH) with Dual Fans159*140*171mm

Heatsink Weight without fan970g

Heatsink Weight with fan1100/1250g (single/Dual) Fan

Package Dimension167x214x190mm(LxWxH)

Scope of Delivery.1x PH-TC14PE Heatsink
.2x PH-F140 Premium fan, (Maelström Air Fort Optimization drive)
.PH-F140 Fan accessory
.6 x rubber bar, 12x fan clip adaptor, 6x fan wire clip, 16x rubber pad
.1x Quiet- Speed- Adaptor. (Q.S.A.)
.SoliSku mounting kits for Intel LGA 1155/1156/1366/775 and AMD AM2/AM2+/AM3 (stock backplate required).
.1x Y Fan Splitter
.1x PH-NDC Thermal Compound
.Phanteks PH-TC14PE User’s manual.

Warranty5 Years.



Test Setup

Gigabyte UD3R V2
Intel i7 950 @ 4GHz 1.25v
Mushkin Radioactive 2000MHz
HIS 6850
Corsair Carbide 400R
Corsair AX750w

Testing

For the first test we set our i7-950 overclocked to 200x20 @ 1.25v for a clock speed of 4.0GHz. We allow the system to idle for 10 minutes and then run Prime95 'maximum heat maximum stress' setting for a further 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes we note the temperatures of all cores and the ambient temperature of the room. An average of all cores is taken, then the ambient temperature is removed from this figure and this gives us the delta temperature. Delta is the temperature difference above ambient which is a truer reflection of the heat-sink performance rather than mere maximum figures. Testing in an Igloo or the Sahara would give vastly different maximum temperatures, yet the Delta could be the same.




The second test follows all steps from above but with a 200x21 @ 1.35v for 4.2GHz overclock, the extra voltage in this test allows us to see if the heat-sink can cope when extreme loads and overclocks are applied. 


 


The last test is at 4.4GHz, 200x22 @ 1.45v and is an extreme test that only extreme coolers will ever pass. Any cooler in this graph is a one of the elite few that has the cooling ability to dissipate the heat created during this grueling test.


Video Review


Conclusion

Right so I've got money on you all being here to see if we have a new king of cooling, well the answer is basically... No not in our testing. The Phanteks only really pulled ahead in the most extreme of tests. In the tests that load the cooler in the way 99% of you will be in your own rigs the Phanteks was actually a few degree's behind the big two. Even when a few degree's behind the big 2 the results were still brilliant and up there with the best of the best dedicated air coolers.

The mount is a 2 stage affair much like the SA and D14, however I cant help but think this one felt cheap, and I'm certain with the regular abuse we put our D14 through that the Phanteks screw heads would fail on the centre bracket at least. The amount we fit and remove our cooler is what can only be described as an extreme level of use so for an average user that is careful and uses the right sized screw driver the Phanteks should be fine.

When it comes to noise levels with the fans at 12v it is very quiet, but all of the OC3D team agree it is louder than both the of the big two. With the low voltage fan adapter in place its the same story, quieter than 12v but still louder than the big two.

The case and RAM compatibility gets very complicated because both fans included are 140mm, the fan over the RAM with the Mushkin RAM we used in our tests should fit most cases because it is relatively low profile, but if we had used Corsair Dominators even with the tops removed the fan would stop the door being able to be fitted on most normal sized cases with a 120mm rear exhaust. Basically keep the RAM small (Vengeance LP, RipjawsX, Radioactive, Ridgeback) then you should be fine, use any larger RAM and you'll either need a bigger case, or a new heat sink entirely because you only have a maximum room of 50mm before it wont fit under the cooler fins in the first place.

The price is higher than the others as well, the cheapest white version is set to hit the stores around the £70 mark with the coloured (blue, red and gold) versions more likely to be £75 - £80.

The Phanteks ace card is obviously the aesthetics, the cooler is a very good looking unit and available in 4 colours with matching fans. How long have we been saying we needed a heat sink that performed well but also looked amazing. BeQuiet came close but the performance was lackluster and the mount was shocking. The Phanteks has come within a whisker of the big 2 but yet has done so with an amazingly sexy looking cooler that's available in 4 colours. Bam head shot!

So it's a few degrees behind on the tests that matter, costs a few quid more and is a smidgen louder if you want to be picky about it. But I'd put large sums of money on the fact this will fall of the shelves at the shops because mainly of the fact there is a cooler that will match most rigs, if they bring a black version out they'll have every base covered.

Thank you Phanteks for bringing aesthetics to CPU cooler design, on this basis and the fact that its joined the very limited 4.4GHz club and the mount really is very good we could not give it anything less than the coveted OC3D Gold Award.


    

Thanks to Phanteks for the cooler on test today, you can discuss your thoughts in the OC3D forums.

«Prev 1 Next»

Most Recent Comments

13-09-2011, 05:34:04

tinytomlogan
There is a new heat sink in town attempting a coup. Can the new comer over throw the dominance of the D14 and Silver Arrow?



Continue Reading

13-09-2011, 05:50:56

KING_OF_SAND
Wish it came in silver.

13-09-2011, 05:51:53

Solidarity
I do like the fact that it comes in different colours. Still think they missed a trick not making a black one.

13-09-2011, 05:54:55

SieB
Shame this didn't turn out to be better than the D14 like all the other sites were saying I really want someone make a cooler that is better than the D14. It's still a good cooler though and personally I would buy it over the D14 just for the looks, the temp difference isn't huge and only if you are being anal will a few *c really matter. Hopefully they will bring out some good 120mm fans as well because these fans would look great on a radiator.

13-09-2011, 06:16:41

dugdiamond
as was said and seen, this cooler has two 140mm fans...

the D14 has only one 140mm fan along with a 120mm fan...

so, if the D14 came with two 140mm fans, it would win even easier, and may even beat the silverarrow plus, be even quieter

13-09-2011, 06:33:32

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdiamond View Post

as was said and seen, this cooler has two 140mm fans...

the D14 has only one 140mm fan along with a 120mm fan...

so, if the D14 came with two 140mm fans, it would win even easier, and may even beat the silverarrow plus, be even quieter
The D14 comes with a 120 so it fits everything mate. The extra 140 can make fitment a complete arse.

13-09-2011, 07:06:24

dugdiamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

The D14 comes with a 120 so it fits everything mate. The extra 140 can make fitment a complete arse.
that's why i'm going to stick with the ones i've got (D14s)

i also like the tri-spoke-like fan mount tho

13-09-2011, 08:31:03

AMDFTW
DH14 all the way it stil seems

13-09-2011, 09:15:42

jonowee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDFTW View Post

DH14 all the way it stil seems
Not so simple. The NH-D14 might be the king of air coolers, but if the CPU is not the heat monster like the i7 950 at 1.45V then if you get a cooler that has ample quiet cooling performance that has looks to match your build theme, why not.

13-09-2011, 09:24:51

silenthill
[/size][size="3"]I really can't understand why Noctua NH-D14 can't do a color scheme because it will only be a positive move for their sales as for the PhanteksPH-TC14PE it is obvious it is a copy cat of the NH-D14 even the name TC14 gives you a hint and price wise 10 more than the NH-D14 and TBH I don't like copy cats because the only steal other people's ideas.

13-09-2011, 09:39:30

yassarikhan786
You can't argue that the variety of colours will be a big selling point, regardless of its price and performance when compared with the D-14 and Silver Arrow.

13-09-2011, 12:42:35

Dandaman91
The different range of colours will most deffo be the biggest selling point for this cooler but I'll stick with my NH-D14

13-09-2011, 13:02:52

Ya93sin
I don't know how twin tower coolers are going to avoid looking similar to the D14 lmao, but this one looks OK, clearly they see a niche because of all the people not wanting Noctua fan colours.

An NF-P14 FLX replacing the 120mm fan would be very nice, but it's not going to happen because of where the RAM is, unless they make crescent RAM

13-09-2011, 13:17:05

TechSmart
I dont know why everyone loves the D-14 so much... its like sheep following eachother, seriously. Sure its one of the best, but not THE best and doesnt look that nice. [Although theres always goingto be some that like the looks and prefers it, but I swear most people are just sheep following others before giving their minds a chance to even consider the Silver Arrow which looks very nice and has slightly better performance]

I still think that the Silver Arrow is either on par or slightly better than the D14 for performance and looks allot more sexy. Silver Arrow is the king. The D-14 is the king for the sheep and narrow minded.

13-09-2011, 13:27:27

Dandaman91
Tbh its personal prefference, I didn't like the D14 when I first got it becuase of the fans and I have to admit htye look a bit odd to start with but now I love it. The colour grows on ya I guess but if I hadn't already bought one of those id have considered getting a white one of these phanteks to go with the colour scheme

No ones saying its rubbish and im sure in the review it was made clear that this is indeed a really good cooler with a good advantage of having different colour variations

Btw I didnt buy a D14 to be a 'sheep' or because im 'narrow minded', I got it because I wanted it. Simple as that really

13-09-2011, 13:51:00

TechSmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandaman91 View Post

Tbh its personal prefference, I didn't like the D14 when I first got it becuase of the fans and I have to admit htye look a bit odd to start with but now I love it. The colour grows on ya I guess but if I hadn't already bought one of those id have considered getting a white one of these phanteks to go with the colour scheme

No ones saying its rubbish and im sure in the review it was made clear that this is indeed a really good cooler with a good advantage of having different colour variations

Btw I didnt buy a D14 to be a 'sheep' or because im 'narrow minded', I got it because I wanted it. Simple as that really
Ovcourse, peoople are like I said going to like and perfer different things, but I find it hard to believe nearly everyone on this site dead set on the D-14 as the best and the one to have without even thinking about the Silver Arrow [even though its either better performing or the same and does look very very nice] without being sheep and narrow minded.

13-09-2011, 14:45:16

Ya93sin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSmart View Post

I dont know why everyone loves the D-14 so much... its like sheep following eachother, seriously. Sure its one of the best, but not THE best and doesnt look that nice. [Although theres always goingto be some that like the looks and prefers it, but I swear most people are just sheep following others before giving their minds a chance to even consider the Silver Arrow which looks very nice and has slightly better performance]

I still think that the Silver Arrow is either on par or slightly better than the D14 for performance and looks allot more sexy. Silver Arrow is the king. The D-14 is the king for the sheep and narrow minded.
Well I got the D14 because it's easier to install, and this was my first proper build, I guess I'm a narrow minded sheep then. I don't think my D14 is bad looking, it doesn't give me an orgasm when I look at it, but it does the job and that's what I care about at the end of the day.

13-09-2011, 14:53:54

sheroo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ya93sin View Post

it doesn't give me an orgasm when I look at it, but it does the job and that's what I care about at the end of the day.
Dude you must be doin' it wrong I've been through 40 toilet rolls since I installed it...

13-09-2011, 15:48:24

Ya93sin
OK I'll try again tomorrow, must be technique

13-09-2011, 19:19:13

Youngie1337
I'm glad there is another competitor, now maybe we'll see some vast improvements from this sector!

The reason Noctua only stick to 1 colour is because it's their mark. When ever you see the fan you instantly know it's a Noctua, and expect quality. I would like other colours, but Noctua have stuck to the colour for a reason. (my thought anyways)

14-09-2011, 04:22:51

silenthill
The Silver Arrow is a unique design by Thermalright which is known for its creativity not a copy cat of the D14 but this cooler looks exactly like the D14 but they made the 14'' fans with cutoff tops & bottoms so that the ram can fit.

14-09-2011, 06:47:52

Lollipop
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSmart View Post

I dont know why everyone loves the D-14 so much... its like sheep following eachother, seriously. Sure its one of the best, but not THE best and doesnt look that nice. [Although theres always goingto be some that like the looks and prefers it, but I swear most people are just sheep following others before giving their minds a chance to even consider the Silver Arrow which looks very nice and has slightly better performance]

I still think that the Silver Arrow is either on par or slightly better than the D14 for performance and looks allot more sexy. Silver Arrow is the king. The D-14 is the king for the sheep and narrow minded.
In toms review the D14 beat the Silver Arrow

14-09-2011, 07:10:03

dugdiamond
it's "courses for horses"

3-5C either way is no biggy, unless you are folding 24/7

no matter what is said, this cooler is now in the top 3 of all air coolers.

nuff said

14-09-2011, 14:05:36

Lollipop
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSmart View Post

Exactly, thats Toms review. He is very biasd to the D 14 and OC3D descreetly advertises it allot plus he doesnt like Thermalright. and it shows lol.

Even so the Silver Arrow still beat it all the way untill he overclocked the final stage and it wasnt a fair comparison behind the scenes.

Everyone I know who has had both and compared and all other comparisons I have witnessed the Silver Arrow has beat the D 14, close, but still beat it. The Silver Arrow has more surface area, is better designed and as a bonus looks very nice compared. And is also very silent with better more powerfull fans. And performs slightly better than the D 14 not just a normal or low temps but high temps too anyone who is comparing them fairly.

A case with average or good airflow [which nearly everyone overclocking wil have], the Silver Arrow wins no end. A case with very bad airflow [like in Toms test rig] the Silver Arrow will still win up until you extremely overclock and wil lose slightly, but even then no way near in Toms biasd comparison
D14 still looks better (imo)

14-09-2011, 16:50:02

ruthless_villain
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSmart View Post

Exactly, thats Toms review. He is very biasd to the D 14 and OC3D descreetly advertises it allot plus he doesnt like Thermalright. and it shows lol.

Even so the Silver Arrow still beat it all the way untill he overclocked the final stage and it wasnt a fair comparison behind the scenes.

Everyone I know who has had both and compared and all other comparisons I have witnessed the Silver Arrow has beat the D 14, close, but still beat it. The Silver Arrow has more surface area, is better designed and as a bonus looks very nice compared. And is also very silent with better more powerfull fans. And performs slightly better than the D 14 not just a normal or low temps but high temps too anyone who is comparing them fairly.

A case with average or good airflow [which nearly everyone overclocking wil have], the Silver Arrow wins no end. A case with very bad airflow [like in Toms test rig] the Silver Arrow will still win up until you extremely overclock and wil lose slightly, but even then no way near in Toms biasd comparison
sir coming to a new forum and calling one of the mods a bias reviewer and then calling anyone with a d14 a sheep is not the best way to make friends. may i suggest you calm down a little

14-09-2011, 17:17:57

Lollipop
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless_villain View Post

sir coming to a new forum and calling one of the mods a bias reviewer and then calling anyone with a d14 a sheep is not the best way to make friends. may i suggest you calm down a little
^This

14-09-2011, 19:10:11

ruthless_villain
seriously man your not doing yourself any favours

14-09-2011, 19:11:29

sheroo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSmart View Post

All due respect to TTL he is my fav reviewer and overlooker on youtube, but its apparaent that advertise revenue cant help but get in the way of fair reviews and pushing companies products and being bias, just the way it is I suppose, that is how they make their money lol
To be fair mate - if he thinks something is rubbish he tells it like it is. NZXT and OCZ have removed him from their Christmas card list.

15-09-2011, 00:40:35

CocaCola
Phanteks' new cooler looks quite promising. Hope they'll distribute their products in Canada.

Yup, Noctua's choice of colour is a 'either you'll like it or dislike it.' Personally, I don't mind the colouring. I'm not much into windows so the aspect of me constantly looking at the internals of my case are probably limited to when I clean out the dust once a month or if I want to showcase the efforts I've put into it.

Noctua was at Computex 2011, and they displayed some interesting new designs for coolers and fans. There was an upgraded version of the D14 I believe. Their new fans look a bit strange at 1st, but it seems most of their demo items at their booth were projects still in progress. Can't wait to see their next release.

15-09-2011, 04:24:55

silenthill
The way Tom tests is clear and obvious to everyone because he captures everything on his camera so no debate on that issue I don't know Tom personally but he seems to be sensor & dedicated to his job and I have tested on most of my builds for my clients both the D14 and Silver Arrow and at 4 & 4.2 GHz the Silver Arrow performs better but when you go to 4.4 on 1.45 v the Silver Arrow can't compete with the D14 because it has less heat pipes than the D14 even though they are bigger heat pipes, as for calling people sheep that only shows the level of education that person has and his inability to communicate in a civilised manner and this has become common on most forums where you get people calling names, very sad indeed.

15-09-2011, 04:32:16

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSmart View Post

All due respect to TTL he is my fav reviewer and overlooker on youtube, but its apparaent that advertise revenue cant help but get in the way of fair reviews and pushing companies products and being bias, just the way it is I suppose, that is how they make their money lol
Find me some Noctua ads anywhere on the site EVER then. My reviews are never bias. TBH my review style has lost this site more money tbh.

[rant]Ive pissed a lot of people off by telling the truth. Lost a 6 month NZXT compaign for example by telling it how it was with the H2.....

Youll notice a lot of smaller sites gave it a gold award and then magically had NZXT banners appear. They just sold their arses and made their awards pointless. Any one that gave it gold was either bought out, or so small they just got so excited they actually got a sample. [/rant]

So it would be a good idea to look into statements likke that before you make them

15-09-2011, 04:39:05

Ya93sin
Think the video of the case was pretty self explanatory anyway, just looking at the thing

15-09-2011, 05:03:50

yassarikhan786
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

Find me some Noctua ads anywhere on the site EVER then. My reviews are never bias. TBH my review style has lost this site more money tbh.

[rant]Ive pissed a lot of people off by telling the truth. Lost a 6 month NZXT compaign for example by telling it how it was with the H2.....

Youll notice a lot of smaller sites gave it a gold award and then magically had NZXT banners appear. They just sold their arses and made their awards pointless. Any one that gave it gold was either bought out, or so small they just got so excited they actually got a sample. [/rant]

So it would be a good idea to look into statements likke that before you make them
You tell him Tom. Everyone's test results are going to be different and a lot of reviews don't have video evidence like TTL's, which is why I always prefer the reviews on OC3D before anything else. I'm not ass lickin here, I'm just saying what I believe.

15-09-2011, 05:33:31

Brandon R
I love the look of both the Phantek and Noctua coolers, but the Noctua fans are just plain ugly, if they changed the colour scheme of the fans I would buy one without even thinking about it. For looks the Phantek wins for me... sorry noctua.

15-09-2011, 06:11:04

yassarikhan786
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSmart View Post

Like I said Tom all due respect to you. But it is apparaent that no matter how good a reviewer you are that you haveto make money somehow, and that is by advertise [or descreet] advertise revenue, the most stands out with Bitfenix.

Which ends up in you being biasd to lure people into buying certain products [like Bitfenix Alchemy cables], and it works very well well done
Bitfenix and Noctua make some awesome products, which is why you see good reviews. If you have seen all of his videos on Youtube you would know he never gives a bad product a good review.

15-09-2011, 06:11:48

Ya93sin
What!?! BitFenix are making some extremely good products at the moment (bar their 230mm fans), if they make good products, they get good reviews. A good review might build up a better rapport with the company in questuon, but it is that way around not the other

15-09-2011, 10:59:25

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSmart View Post

Like I said Tom all due respect to you. But it is apparaent that no matter how good a reviewer you are that you haveto make money somehow, and that is by advertise [or descreet] advertise revenue, the most stands out with Bitfenix.

Which ends up in you being biasd to lure people into buying certain products [like Bitfenix Alchemy cables], and it works very well well done
Sadly BitFenix have never given me a penny, but hey that should just make you realise that quite honestly the alchemy cables really are the best available and Im not the only person that thinks so.

The site does like EVERY other site earn money from banners. But if you cant see a banner on the site then we are not getting paid.

IF there is a banner on the iste and a product is bad we still report about it because thats what we pride ourselves on.

Now dude Id really like to leave this here because you have hijacked a review thread.

15-09-2011, 11:51:53

jonowee
Is that you Rasta, TechSmart? Nah, what am I saying.

*Ahem*

About BitFenix, now pay attention, if you did, you'd notice the Alchemy cables are not like Akasa, NZXT, or whatever other cable extensions out there. Here's why the Alchemy cable extensions are a step above the rest, the sleeving termination are inside the plugs of the AWG18 end connectors. Their OEM didn't just whack in whatever length sleeving inside and try to mask it with heatshrink. Unfortunately AWG24-26 connector pins cannot handle the girth of wire and high density sleeving.

At the moment only a handful of mainstream chassis makers are expanding into the accessorising/plug-and-play modding. TTL from his Time To Live Customs modding days, is excited about these developments to open the door for other modders and tweakers. Let say Corsair, they have great fit and finish, but beyond different side panels, they're a bit lacking on the modding front. Lian Li, they do modding friendly cases and spare parts, but they've been doing that for a long time any way, nothing too new and exciting. NZXT do try to create new accessories, some fly, some crash; but then the H2 review came out, now they're too petulant to try to win back TTL with their product releases after the H2.

Your point about the lacklastre dust filters, case feet, and powdercoat is a bit of a moot point because you do say "very good case and value for money". Because those problems exists on almost all the cases that are in the price range of the BitFenixs; you'll find these cost saving 'flaws' on Coolermasters, Antecs, NZXTs, even quality makers' budget cases from Lian Li and Silverstone. It's only when you f' it up badly like the NZXT H2, will TTL pounce.

As for the NH-D14, the Silver Arrow battle with the NH-D14 showed the SA hit the wall for 1.45V. Both the SA and D14 were in the margin of error for volts up until that point. But if you CPU is not a heat monster, and the SA fits for example a ASUS Sabertooth build theme, go for it and as a bonus you save five bucks!

If you were wondering, the Noctua NH-U12P was researched and bought before I'd ever heard about TTL or OC3D. Me no sheep yo.

I've typed too much for these kind of points of contention, I don't think I could be bother again for a few months.

15-09-2011, 14:08:04

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonowee View Post

Is that you Rasta, TechSmart? Nah, what am I saying.

*Ahem*

About BitFenix, now pay attention, if you did, you'd notice the Alchemy cables are not like Akasa, NZXT, or whatever other cable extensions out there. Here's why the Alchemy cable extensions are a step above the rest, the sleeving termination are inside the plugs of the AWG18 end connectors. Their OEM didn't just whack in whatever length sleeving inside and try to mask it with heatshrink. Unfortunately AWG24-26 connector pins cannot handle the girth of wire and high density sleeving.

At the moment only a handful of mainstream chassis makers are expanding into the accessorising/plug-and-play modding. TTL from his Time To Live Customs modding days, is excited about these developments to open the door for other modders and tweakers. Let say Corsair, they have great fit and finish, but beyond different side panels, they're a bit lacking on the modding front. Lian Li, they do modding friendly cases and spare parts, but they've been doing that for a long time any way, nothing too new and exciting. NZXT do try to create new accessories, some fly, some crash; but then the H2 review came out, now they're too petulant to try to win back TTL with their product releases after the H2.

Your point about the lacklastre dust filters, case feet, and powdercoat is a bit of a moot point because you do say "very good case and value for money". Because those problems exists on almost all the cases that are in the price range of the BitFenixs; you'll find these cost saving 'flaws' on Coolermasters, Antecs, NZXTs, even quality makers' budget cases from Lian Li and Silverstone. It's only when you f' it up badly like the NZXT H2, will TTL pounce.

As for the NH-D14, the Silver Arrow battle with the NH-D14 showed the SA hit the wall for 1.45V. Both the SA and D14 were in the margin of error for volts up until that point. But if you CPU is not a heat monster, and the SA fits for example a ASUS Sabertooth build theme, go for it and as a bonus you save five bucks!

If you were wondering, the Noctua NH-U12P was researched and bought before I'd ever heard about TTL or OC3D. Me no sheep yo.

I've typed too much for these kind of points of contention, I don't think I could be bother again for a few months.
[Hands a gold star]

15-09-2011, 14:16:10

marsey99
dude, its the tc14, to go with the d14 and ifx14

looks good, and for the benchmarkers who live and die by every last C this looks like the new daddy. cant help but thing that price is high tho tbh :| i only paid 40 for my ifx14 inc shipping, no way 2 fans are worth another 40/50 quid

i think they have missed a trick with those top plates, i mean why not go 2 tone on there with the embossed name in a second colour and the rest all the same? baby blue text on the top of those fins all white would

be sex in the nurburgrig :thumb:

15-09-2011, 17:24:02

silenthill
they did not do black, hello everybody likes black

15-09-2011, 19:25:23

Lollipop
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post

they did not do black, hello everybody likes black
^This

18-09-2011, 14:06:29

Captain Caveman
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

There is a new heat sink in town attempting a coup. Can the new comer over throw the dominance of the D14 and Silver Arrow?



Continue Reading
Since it is sooooo close in performance I would buy the phantek over the NH-d14 everytime...the noctua are just fugly. I prefer performance over looks but would sacrifice a few C's for an overall component if I was going for a theme look. I womder how the NH-d14 would perform with the Phantek fans...hmmmm, strokes beard.

They did screw up not making a black one and the white one, white on the top also. But with the top of the white one being silver if you do a blue water cooling system and or blue LED's that silver reflecting it might be an eye catcher.

Think about it...a white case, a blue Gigabyte Mobo, white fans, white cooler, blue water cooling fluid loops and blue LED's. Turn out the lights and turn on the LED's and let the party begin. You would have a blue and white theme in light and dark.

18-09-2011, 15:50:22

Ya93sin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Caveman View Post

I prefer performance over looks but would sacrifice a few C's for an overall component if I was going for a theme look.
Well then do you really prefer perf. to looks?

I would seriously consider the Phanteks myself if I was in the market at the moment, but the price is pretty high, and I actually don't mind the look of the D14. Performance makes things sexy to me anyway

18-09-2011, 22:59:08

Captain Caveman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ya93sin View Post

Well then do you really prefer perf. to looks?

I would seriously consider the Phanteks myself if I was in the market at the moment, but the price is pretty high, and I actually don't mind the look of the D14. Performance makes things sexy to me anyway
yes...I do, as I stated in my reply

24-09-2011, 16:53:54

Ravious
Nice review mate!

29-11-2011, 08:58:36

HothBase
I picked up a new fan for my CPU heatsink today. Thought I'd try out the new Phanteks one, since it got quite good reviews along with PH-TC14PE heatsink it usually comes bundled with, and the white/blue theme is just what I'm looking for. Gotta say that I was disappointed when I fired it up though. It's making this annoying noise, I uploaded a vid to YouTube so that I don't have to describe it.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0lX6nJyLZc[/VIDEO]

Do you think this is normal, or did I get a bad apple? It does this at all speeds and positions except when it's completely horizontal (blowing upwards).

Update 2011-12-08: Phanteks contacted me and sent a new fan. The new one is working much better.

29-11-2011, 11:48:38

sheroo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HothBase View Post

I picked up a new fan for my CPU heatsink today. Thought I'd try out the new Phanteks one, since it got quite good reviews along with PH-TC14PE heatsink it usually comes bundled with, and the white/blue theme is just what I'm looking for. Gotta say that I was disappointed when I fired it up though. It's making this annoying noise, I uploaded a vid to YouTube so that I don't have to describe it.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0lX6nJyLZc[/VIDEO]

Do you think this is normal, or did I get a bad apple? It does this at all speeds and positions except when it's completely horizontal (blowing upwards).
Sounds like a dud to me. Are you powering it straight from the psu? Sometimes fan controllers can introduce buzzing and the likes.

29-11-2011, 12:15:51

HothBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheroo View Post

Sounds like a dud to me. Are you powering it straight from the psu? Sometimes fan controllers can introduce buzzing and the likes.
It was running directly from the motherboard header. After reading your post I hooked it up to the PSU, same result unfortunately.

I've written an email to the retailer asking if they can replace it for me. I don't think it's supposed to make this sound, let's just hope that they agree.

Update 2011-12-08: Phanteks contacted me and sent a new fan. The new one is working much better.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.