NZXT Sentry 2 Touchscreen Fan Controller
NZXT are a fairly recent company having only been founded in 2004. However their product range has swiftly expanded and now includes chassis, mice, PSU and other items.
Although they are mainly known throughout the community as a chassis manufacturer, today we're looking at their Sentry 2 touchscreen fan controller, which is the latest in their line of Sentry fan controllers.
The Sentry 2 is a marked improvement upon the original Sentry 1. The original Sentry was a solely blue and black screened number with three buttons to control everything, whereas the Sentry 2 is a multi-colour, touchscreen affair.
Let's have a look at the specifications, straight from the NZXT website and some thoughts.
* Touch screen interface
* Five fan control through an intuitive interface
* Ultra fast selection and response time
* Display temperatures in both F and C
* Light switch turns off the meter when sleeping
* Automatic and manual modes of control
* Full compatibility with all types of fans using voltage control
* With 10 Watts per channel, the Sentry 2 will support almost all high end fans
* Tuned accuracy with only a tolerance of one degree
* Sound alarm to alert when the temperature is over
* Stored settings, the Sentry keeps your settings even after power off
Touchscreen interface is always nice. With the way modern smart phones have transitioned to touch screen technology it's nice to see it appearing in more PC hardware too. Assuming it is as swift and useful as they say, which we'll discover.
The ability to control five fans, especially with larger cases having six or seven, is a good touch as is being able to have up to 10 watts per channel. Very few fans will require more than this and normally if you own one that does you own it for a reason and don't want to turn it down.
Accuracy in temperature readings is important if the alarm and automatic control are to work properly. Finally anything that stores settings so we don't have to fiddle every time we boot up always gets my thanks.
Time for a closer look.