NZXT Havik vs Noctua NH-D14 Review

NZXT Havik vs Noctua NH-D14 Review

NZXT Havik vs Noctua NH-D14 Review  

Introduction

There can't be many readers of OC3D that wont remember the NZXT H2 vs the Fractal R3 face of review we did some time ago. You I'm sure will also remember how badly NZXT reacted to this review. SO badly it has taken us all of this time to finally get a Havik sample out of them, it did cross our minds at one point just to buy one and do the review anyways. But taking on the persistence / borderline harassment leaf out of the hand book from a couple of other websites NZXT finally buckled knowing they had another cooler due out and OC3D's review wont really mean anything so late.......... Shame that.

Anyways its time to have a look at the specifications then get straight on with what will be a rather interesting video review.

Specifications

MODELHAVIK 140
MATERIALSAluminum / Copper Nickel-Plated
DIMENSIONS140(W) x 166(H) x 120(D) mm
135(W) x 160(H) x 60(D) mm (heatsink)
WEIGHT1035g (including dual 140mm fans)
760g (heatsink)
MOUNTING PRESSURE
55-60 lbs
FAN SIZEDual 140(W) x 140(H) x 25(D) mm
FAN BEARING

Long Life (Oil-Leaking Prevention) + Shaft with copper sleeve

FAN SPEED1200 +/- 10% RPM
NOISE LEVEL25 dBA
AIR FLOW90.3 CFM
CONNECTOR3-Pin
INPUT POWER3.6 W
LIFE30,000 Hours
COMPATIBILITYIntel Socket:1366, 1155, 1156, 775 CPUs
AMD Socket: AM3, AM2+, AM2 CPUs


Testing

NZXT Havik & Noctua NH-D14
Intel Core-i7 950 @ 4GHz
Gigabyte G1 Assassin
Corsair AX1200W
6GB Mushkin Redline
HIS 6850
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

For the first test we set our i7-950 overclocked to 200x20 @ 1.25v for a clock speed of 4.0GHz. We allow the system to idle for 10 minutes and then run Prime95 'maximum heat maximum stress' setting for a further 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes we note the temperatures of all cores and the ambient temperature of the room. An average of all cores is taken, then the ambient temperature is removed from this figure and this gives us the delta temperature. Delta is the temperature difference above ambient which is a truer reflection of the heat-sink performance rather than mere maximum figures. Testing in an Igloo or the Sahara would give vastly different maximum temperatures, yet the Delta could be the same.


The second test follows all steps from above but with a 200x21 @ 1.35v for 4.2GHz overclock, the extra voltage in this test allows us to see if the heat-sink can cope when extreme loads and overclocks are applied. 


The last test is at 4.4GHz, 200x22 @ 1.45v and is an extreme test that only extreme coolers will ever pass. Any cooler in this graph is a one of the elite few that has the cooling ability to dissipate the heat created during this grueling test.



Video Review




Conclusion

The introduction to this review is quite a bit more cutting than you are probably used to here at OC3D, but we had to get it out there that we were very annoyed by NZXT's reaction to what was only ever honesty with the H2 Review.

They stalled for so long and have only just let us have a Havik sample thinking we cant do any damage now, which is a shame really because the only damage we would be doing would be to OTHER manufacturer sales because to put it simply the Havik is awesome.

The mount is a two stage affair and works very well, everything fits tightly together so the screws and the spacers don't keep falling out all over the place. It all works very well and if you can write your own name you should be able fit this in your rig.

The fan clips are rubber which is a nice touch to stop the fear of one coming loose and shorting out your GPU, but at the same time because they are rubber it would have been nice to have seen one or two spares in the box as I'm sure over time some will break. Also talking about the clips if there isn't much room above your CPU heat sink at the top of the case, make sure you fit the clips at the top of the case first as you will find it easier to stretch the lower ones into place with a bit of extra room.

Fan wise they do seem noisier than the D14 fans but this is pretty much expected as the Noctua fans are famed for their near silent operation.

So it may have seemed negative up to this point although we are only really pointing out some minor observations but the surprising points start now really. It did always fall behind the D14 in terms of performance but as the voltage and clocks increased the gap narrowed, quite the opposite to what we were expecting. During the 4.4GHz test which is nothing short of the most extreme test we could possibly run with a silicone killing 1.45v coursing through the poor old i7 950 the gap closed to just 0.5c! This is the first single tower cooler to have ever performed this well in our 4.4GHz test.

So to summarise, it's a single tower cooler that comes with a pair of relatively quiet 140MM fans that shouldn't effect the main ram slots on most motherboards allowing those of you crazy enough to have massive ram to finally buy a decent air cooler should you need one, and also get near on NH-D14 performance levels.

Its an epic cooler that NZXT really should have sent us sooner, we would go as far to say that this is THE best single tower performance cooler on the market, for those of you stubborn enough to have massive ram and 100% want an air heatsink we honestly think this is the best possible option out there at the moment! 

 

  

We would like to thank NZXT for having the bravery to let us test the Havik finally. Discuss in the forums. 

«Prev 1 Next»

Most Recent Comments

07-12-2011, 13:43:25

tinytomlogan


So there has been a lot of hype around this cooler, FINALLY we have managed to convince NZXT to let us test one!

Continue Reading

07-12-2011, 14:13:33

wotevajjjj
really surprised, I really tought it would get it's ass kicked... now imagine 2 of these on 1 chip... would beat anything

07-12-2011, 14:16:27

Solidarity
It performed much better than i thought it was going to.

07-12-2011, 14:24:34

Terrifictez85
Great review Tom, now hopefully people will see why i rant about this cooler lol

Need to persuade NZXT to create a twin tower version, would be a beast of a cooler.

07-12-2011, 14:30:32

SieB
There was a member on here that posted his temps using the Havik to cool his 990X at 4.4ghz months ago showing it was just as good as the D14.

Nice to see it get a gold award with a full review and vid though and it's good to know NZXT have finally stopped sulking over the H2 review.

07-12-2011, 14:38:06

yassarikhan786
Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post

There was a member on here that posted his temps using the Havik to cool his 990X at 4.4ghz months ago showing it was just as good as the D14.

Nice to see it get a gold award with a full review and vid though and it's good to know NZXT have finally stopped sulking over the H2 review.
I remember that . StreekG is his username iirc.

Brilliant review and really impressive cooler. I might buy one to replace my Hyper 212+, seeing as I have tall ram.

07-12-2011, 15:44:52

mrDMxtreme
dam did NOT think that a single tower would be that good (even with the louder fans, but still) also the color will be more appealing to a lot of people, and add the ram options and the price, i think overall this is = to the d14

07-12-2011, 15:49:47

dugdiamond
nice cooler - nuff said

07-12-2011, 15:50:51

StreekG
Awesome, i knew it would eventually make it onto here

Mine since then is cooling at 4.5ghz

07-12-2011, 17:17:32

Greenback
you mention in he video that it was moveable on the cpu with the 5mm spacers, so was thinking if you were to use 4mm spacers so it would be a tighter fit maybe it's cooling would be even better maybe to the point of matching the d14. just a thought

Edit: also think this looks nicer then the d14 tbh

07-12-2011, 18:05:17

ELO
the archon is still at least on par with the havik though

07-12-2011, 18:49:12

CocaCola
This looks like a great cooler. I'm sure NZXT will be surprised and delighted to hear/read Tom's review of the product. Aside from this, NZXT has started to release their bronze rated PSUs. I wonder how they'll fare?

07-12-2011, 18:56:24

Excalabur50
I have to say another brilliant unbiased review well done TTL. For those with tall ram and lets face it there is a lot of it out there this is a great D-14 replacement well done NZXT on a great cooler.

07-12-2011, 19:34:38

SPS
You would have to say that the Havik matched the D14 at 4.4GHz because you can't compare more than 1 degree either way as HWMonitor only gives readings as integers.

07-12-2011, 20:25:07

CocaCola
I wonder if you could use wire framed fan clips, such as those used for mounting on Thermalright and Noctua coolers, on the Havik? It would be interesting to see how well it'll perform with the Thermalright or Noctua fans.

07-12-2011, 20:40:18

sleepylilazn
Aesthetically better than the d14 in my opinion. I was a little apprehensive about this cooler. I thought the claim that the performance matches the d14 was a load of bull. Glad to see it wasn't as far from the truth as I thought. The only thing that worries me is the noise.

08-12-2011, 00:58:02

Lollipop
First NZXT product i'm impressed with.

08-12-2011, 01:30:27

Kitchenhand
Since NZXT decided to act like a 5 year old once Tom did the H2 review I decided to remove the Havik off my new system short list and went out and purchased a NH-D14

Im sure its just one example of how a company can miss handle a "situation " which can cost revenue and any good will they may have with a customer ( i have a Phantom case )

Tom keep up the great reviews . honesty has earnt you a loyal fan

08-12-2011, 02:15:50

StreekG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchenhand View Post

Tom keep up the great reviews . honesty has earnt you a loyal fan
+1 I have always liked Tom's reviews more than any others. I don't judge a product properly unless i see his review on it.

08-12-2011, 05:58:59

sheroo
It matches the colour scheme of the R3 nicely.

08-12-2011, 11:35:29

badtaylorx
i ordered mine yesterday.....ill post some pic's after xmas

08-12-2011, 13:08:08

Terrifictez85
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtaylorx View Post

i ordered mine yesterday.....ill post some pic's after xmas
You won't be dissappointed

08-12-2011, 13:31:14

silenthill
[/size]just watched the video and really good stuff from NZXT but I have some pointers:

1 - Would have liked to see black fans for an all black scheme.

2 - Fan speed reducers are a must for all coolers these days.

3 - There is a problem with the mount and the cooler should not move easily over the CPU.

4 - Tom should not say fu--k in the end of the video even if the mic goes up his backside because there are children watching not like they don't use the word anyway.

[size="3"]5 - Today has been a horrible day in UK and I feel really depressed but Tom has put a smile on my face.



08-12-2011, 15:24:27

badatgames18
do the rubber fan mounts work with 120x38mm fans?

seems like an interesting new choice for peeps with tall ram.. besides the thermalright archon

08-12-2011, 15:50:58

Terrifictez85
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post

[/size]just watched the video and really good stuff from NZXT but I have some pointers:

1 - Would have liked to see black fans for an all black scheme.

2 - Fan speed reducers are a must for all coolers these days.

3 - There is a problem with the mount and the cooler should not move easily over the CPU.

4 - Tom should not say fu--k in the end of the video even if the mic goes up his backside because there are children watching not like they don't use the word anyway.

[size="3"]5 - Today has been a horrible day in UK and I feel really depressed but Tom has put a smile on my face.




The mount is great, i am guessing that he (tom) used the wrong side (AMD instead if Intel)

Mine doesnt move at all, especially as it has guards which ensure the tower is always aligned to the mount before you can even tighten it.

Today has been abismal, 80mph in Leeds and none stop rain

09-12-2011, 13:14:13

≠≠≠
Man I've been waiting for this review and I am going to be buying one soon

I hope they make a dual tower one soon too.

10-12-2011, 07:09:42

murphy7801
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocaCola View Post

I wonder if you could use wire framed fan clips, such as those used for mounting on Thermalright and Noctua coolers, on the Havik? It would be interesting to see how well it'll perform with the Thermalright or Noctua fans.
I think the nzxt fans are ugly time for some enermax ones, sadly the dont do a 140mm gold

10-12-2011, 09:22:01

Lollipop
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocaCola View Post

I wonder if you could use wire framed fan clips, such as those used for mounting on Thermalright and Noctua coolers, on the Havik? It would be interesting to see how well it'll perform with the Thermalright or Noctua fans.
Why wouldn't you be able to use the rubber mounting thingies that come with the cooler?

12-12-2011, 09:51:36

F-alienware
Right. Afternoon all. I shan't be sticking around but I figured I would have my 2p.

O.K. NZXT eh? terrible. Throwing a sulk were they? aww, diddums.

Now given that the world has gone completely capitalist and the truth is not welcome I'll hazard a guess this post will last a few seconds before being deleted. It's O.K, I don't blame Tom or anyone else. Recently Custom PC gave NFS : The run 90% so it's obvious companies like a bit of corruption, as it sells bad products.

Right then, NZXT? I would rather have a part made from dog crap.

Three years ago I bought a Sentry fan controller. The buttons rattled around in it, the backlight was so uneven and bad that unless you put your face within a few cm of the thing you couldn't read it (would just look like a blue blob) and it was hardly readable.

Go to fit it in your case? you had issues. It seems some one who designs for NZXT didn't have a ruler handy to get the 5.25 dimension right so just drew around a CD rom drive.

In other words, it didn't fit. Not only did it not fit but you couldn't bend the sides inward as there was a stiffening pole going across. This left you playing twister with your case on the floor desperately trying to bend the bay open to make it go in. I got it in eventually, but sadly it took all the black anodising off of my case. Literally scraped down to the metal.

OK, so that was November 2007. We could be excused for thinking that their products had gotten better yeah? hah ! fat chance.

Let's move onto the Phantom. A very popular case, that was supposed to be good. Yeah, right. Worst case I have witnessed.

It looks OK, bit tacky but I suppose if that's what you like to look at then awesome. Ain't gonna judge it on looks, because my taste could be considered garish at best. I like luminous colours mixed with black, or simply white and black (but I wasn't too hot on the Phantom's styling.

Any way, enough of that twaddle, let's move onto why the Phantom is rubbbish.

Airflow. It doesn't have any.

Sure, the hard drives are taken care of with the 120mm/s fans that go in the side, but sadly they are in the side bringing air over the hdds. None of that air reaches the case. And sure, there is a fan in the front, but again that goes over the hard drives. The case is large inside which is nice, but like the Corsair D cases there isn't enough air making it to the important parts.

We all know that in this day and age the two hottest components in a computer are the GPU/S and CPU. So why is there no fans for either? Oh sure, there are a couple of slow fans in the roof expelling air, but what feeds the cold air into the case?

NOTHING

Yeah yeah, there is a 200mm fan mount in the side panel that you can screw a fan into right? erm, no ! you can't.

Firstly that fan mount has oddly placed holes. Hmmm ! Houston we have a problem ! "Ahhhh wait, I see it now yes, you can only put a NZXT fan in there ! WOW that's clever NZXT ! make people go and buy your fans eh !"

So you stump up $20 or whatever the crap costs, and you screw it in. Then you go to replace the side panel on your PC and you have another problem !

You have a NH-D14 because they are the best air cooler in the world, or a Phanteks because they look nice, but the fan is 30mm thick so it fouls the cooler !

By this stage your GTX 460 2win (pictured here)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...uron/photo.jpg

Is starting to get hot. Not hot like 80c hot, but 110c shutdown hot. OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Said card powers three monitors and needs cooling properly, but said case has no air being fed to the GPU at all, so shutdowns are common place, especially in a heavy game like Crysis 2. It's so bad that every five minutes your buddy drops idle in Left 4 Dead 2 and you have to wait for him to reboot his PC and come back.

Not to worry, you go out and buy another $20 fan. This time you get a Xigmatek because NZXT don't even make a 20mm deep fan to fit their monopolised mounts

Only, it doesn't fit. Sadly the guy that owns the Phantom isn't very adept with a Dremel (and nor should he be) so he has to botch the fan in using the rubber dampeners. Only problem is they snap and the fan falls into the floor of the case.

So unless he takes apart the side panel and drills in standard placed holes he can't have any air for his GPUs.

So do you know what he does? he bins the case and goes out and buys a real one, designed by a company that make it clear they're there for gamers and not just to sell things.

So NZXT my friends and I decided to give you an award. You can show this one off like an OC3D gold badge.

-snip-

It's called the "screw you award".

12-12-2011, 10:19:09

SieB
WTF am I reading....

12-12-2011, 10:21:29

F-alienware
How to bodge your Phantom because normal fans don't fit.

http://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php?/topic/33818-nzxt-phantom-how-to-fit-200mm-fan-on-sidepanel-with-nh-d14-no-modding-req/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post

WTF am I reading....
The truth? or don't you quite understand it?

12-12-2011, 12:35:29

TommyB
So guys I've got a i5 2500k I do gaming and when I get my cooler I want to do some heavy overclocking, will the havik be able cope with high vaults on the 2500k ( i know its cooler than 1366) or should I got for the Noctua nh d-14?

I haven't got space or RAM clearence problems.

cheers

12-12-2011, 13:59:15

hmmblah
Cleaned the thread up a bit. Stay on topic guys and lay off the insults.

12-12-2011, 14:08:26

Terrifictez85
Nice one. To the guy asking about temps. I have a 1090t oc'd @ 4ghz and it doesn't go over 55.c on full load. Is a very good cooler, i highly recommend it.

13-12-2011, 06:05:48

Terrifictez85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0mB13 View Post

Right. Afternoon all. I shan't be sticking around but I figured I would have my 2p.

O.K. NZXT eh? terrible. Throwing a sulk were they? aww, diddums.

Now given that the world has gone completely capitalist and the truth is not welcome I'll hazard a guess this post will last a few seconds before being deleted. It's O.K, I don't blame Tom or anyone else. Recently Custom PC gave NFS : The run 90% so it's obvious companies like a bit of corruption, as it sells bad products.

Right then, NZXT? I would rather have a part made from dog crap.

Three years ago I bought a Sentry fan controller. The buttons rattled around in it, the backlight was so uneven and bad that unless you put your face within a few cm of the thing you couldn't read it (would just look like a blue blob) and it was hardly readable.

Go to fit it in your case? you had issues. It seems some one who designs for NZXT didn't have a ruler handy to get the 5.25 dimension right so just drew around a CD rom drive.

In other words, it didn't fit. Not only did it not fit but you couldn't bend the sides inward as there was a stiffening pole going across. This left you playing twister with your case on the floor desperately trying to bend the bay open to make it go in. I got it in eventually, but sadly it took all the black anodising off of my case. Literally scraped down to the metal.

OK, so that was November 2007. We could be excused for thinking that their products had gotten better yeah? hah ! fat chance.

Let's move onto the Phantom. A very popular case, that was supposed to be good. Yeah, right. Worst case I have witnessed.

It looks OK, bit tacky but I suppose if that's what you like to look at then awesome. Ain't gonna judge it on looks, because my taste could be considered garish at best. I like luminous colours mixed with black, or simply white and black (but I wasn't too hot on the Phantom's styling.

Any way, enough of that twaddle, let's move onto why the Phantom is rubbbish.

Airflow. It doesn't have any.

Sure, the hard drives are taken care of with the 120mm/s fans that go in the side, but sadly they are in the side bringing air over the hdds. None of that air reaches the case. And sure, there is a fan in the front, but again that goes over the hard drives. The case is large inside which is nice, but like the Corsair D cases there isn't enough air making it to the important parts.

We all know that in this day and age the two hottest components in a computer are the GPU/S and CPU. So why is there no fans for either? Oh sure, there are a couple of slow fans in the roof expelling air, but what feeds the cold air into the case?

NOTHING

Yeah yeah, there is a 200mm fan mount in the side panel that you can screw a fan into right? erm, no ! you can't.

Firstly that fan mount has oddly placed holes. Hmmm ! Houston we have a problem ! "Ahhhh wait, I see it now yes, you can only put a NZXT fan in there ! WOW that's clever NZXT ! make people go and buy your fans eh !"

So you stump up $20 or whatever the crap costs, and you screw it in. Then you go to replace the side panel on your PC and you have another problem !

You have a NH-D14 because they are the best air cooler in the world, or a Phanteks because they look nice, but the fan is 30mm thick so it fouls the cooler !

By this stage your GTX 460 2win (pictured here)



Is starting to get hot. Not hot like 80c hot, but 110c shutdown hot. OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Said card powers three monitors and needs cooling properly, but said case has no air being fed to the GPU at all, so shutdowns are common place, especially in a heavy game like Crysis 2. It's so bad that every five minutes your buddy drops idle in Left 4 Dead 2 and you have to wait for him to reboot his PC and come back.

Not to worry, you go out and buy another $20 fan. This time you get a Xigmatek because NZXT don't even make a 20mm deep fan to fit their monopolised mounts

Only, it doesn't fit. Sadly the guy that owns the Phantom isn't very adept with a Dremel (and nor should he be) so he has to botch the fan in using the rubber dampeners. Only problem is they snap and the fan falls into the floor of the case.

So unless he takes apart the side panel and drills in standard placed holes he can't have any air for his GPUs.

So do you know what he does? he bins the case and goes out and buys a real one, designed by a company that make it clear they're there for gamers and not just to sell things.

So NZXT my friends and I decided to give you an award. You can show this one off like an OC3D gold badge.

-snip-

It's called the "screw you award".
This review is for The Havik 140mm so i dont why you have posted this massive essay displaying your hatred for the Phantom case. This is a great cooler, as Tom said himself it is on a par and performs as well as the D-14

13-12-2011, 13:16:40

ruthless
so it is a good cooler; d14 is still better and i think the performance will deteriorate rapidly

23-12-2011, 14:07:21

murphy7801
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post

so it is a good cooler; d14 is still better and i think the performance will deteriorate rapidly
I mean the actual heatsink self probably wont go wrong just piece of metal but fans will probably explode and release aids if there upto NZXT standards.

26-12-2011, 11:34:00

MichaelH
Pleasantly surprised by the results. For a long time now, the NH-D14 from Noctua has been the leading king of Air Coolers. Okay, so the NZXT didn't beat it, but it came pretty damn close! And that's saying something with a single tower and the size compared to the D14.

I wonder if a dual/tri tower version would finally beat the D14? Then again, I don't think NZXT would be able to pull that off, unfortunately.

Nice review guys.

27-12-2011, 12:32:25

Lollipop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0mB13 View Post

Right. Afternoon all. I shan't be sticking around but I figured I would have my 2p.

'quote'

It's called the "screw you award".
Everything i have said about the phantom on other forums but apparently they so loooove the Phantom for it's 'thick and heavy plastic'

27-12-2011, 14:00:40

Terrifictez85
Keep on topic guys, this is about the cooler not the other products NZXT make. Would be like looking at a Corsair cooler and talking about the ram fans they make.

20-01-2012, 02:50:06

crimson2404
Thatís actually pretty good for £55

16-03-2012, 21:11:34

C3mods
I love the look of this cooler and would like to get one, I just have one gripe about it. Using AMD I don't like the cooler facing the top of the case. If they could fix that one issue I would get this cooler.

Just my 2cents worth

17-03-2012, 15:00:29

Terrifictez85
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3mods View Post

I love the look of this cooler and would like to get one, I just have one gripe about it. Using AMD I don't like the cooler facing the top of the case. If they could fix that one issue I would get this cooler.

Just my 2cents worth
It doesnt face the top of the case mate.

Here are a few photos from my build log http://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php?/topic/37612-upgrading-modding-build/page__st__40

Highly recommend this cooler bud.

18-03-2012, 13:56:56

C3mods
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrifictez85 View Post

It doesnt face the top of the case mate.

Here are a few photos from my build log http://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php?/topic/37612-upgrading-modding-build/page__st__40

Highly recommend this cooler bud.
Yes it says it can, and you seem to have it done, but here is my main concerns. As I have the same motherboard that this reviewer is using. I know the video says the Havik 120 but below it, they say that the mounting identical for both.

I think I might have said it wrong in my other post, I am not saying you can't but with the problems than this reviewer had with the mounting, it is a valid concern. I would love to buy one, but my concerns outweigh my wants at this point and time. Broken/shorted MB or not getting the temps I should from my CPU if it doesn't seat correctly because of the issues shown in the video.

18-03-2012, 15:19:21

Terrifictez85
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3mods View Post

Yes it says it can, and you seem to have it done, but here is my main concerns. As I have the same motherboard that this reviewer is using. I know the video says the Havik 120 but below it, they say that the mounting identical for both.

I think I might have said it wrong in my other post, I am not saying you can't but with the problems than this reviewer had with the mounting, it is a valid concern. I would love to buy one, but my concerns outweigh my wants at this point and time. Broken/shorted MB or not getting the temps I should from my CPU if it doesn't seat correctly because of the issues shown in the video.
That review is sooo innaccurate. For starters he has installed the mount wrong. Where he says that it creates too much tension and can only screw one point down is daft. All he has done is screwed the bracket in the wrong place (longest points being underneath the shorter ones instead of on top of it)

The other point he makes about the back plate is also nonsense. The pads (if applied properly) cover all of the corners and will not make any contact with the solder points.

I made the same mistake with the mounting bracket too then had a d'oh moment.

Trust me mate, you won't be dissappointed with the cooler.

I sold mine on here.

19-03-2012, 03:21:37

C3mods
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrifictez85 View Post

That review is sooo innaccurate. For starters he has installed the mount wrong. Where he says that it creates too much tension and can only screw one point down is daft. All he has done is screwed the bracket in the wrong place (longest points being underneath the shorter ones instead of on top of it)

The other point he makes about the back plate is also nonsense. The pads (if applied properly) cover all of the corners and will not make any contact with the solder points.

I made the same mistake with the mounting bracket too then had a d'oh moment.

Trust me mate, you won't be dissappointed with the cooler.

I sold mine on here.
Okay, I am not doubting your word, so don't take it that way. I have not personally seen the mount.

Just looking at the video, and looking at the instruction manual(downloaded pdf). He has it together the way the manual shows, with the intel brackets (straight ones) underneath the amd brackets, with the screws coming up from the bottom through the intel bracket, into the amd bracket.

I also read some people saying that to mount it toward the back of the case, they wished the thread posts was longer. So in that aspect it seems that if the reviewer tightened the one side down it would have a hard time reaching on the other post. so would just be to get it started on both and then tighten them to get even pressure.

I didn't think I would be dissappointed with the cooler at all, just was worried about the rear facing and shorting issue, which after what you wrote about the tabs I looked a little closer, then checked some other small personal reviews and helped me understand the rest. So I should be ordering me one soon.

Thanks for the help Terrifictez85

29-05-2012, 16:12:31

Darkherow
Since the Havik 120 and 140 have the same mounting, would the havik 140 work on the new intel 2011 lga? Would there be any problems with a havik 140 on a 2011 as it is not stated to be compatible.
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.