Nexus VCT-9000 Silent Cooler Review

Introduction

Nexus VCT-9000 Silent Cooler

Introduction

Aftermarket coolers aren't just for those who intend on undertaking obsene overclocks. The traditional heatsink that comes bundled with today's Intel and AMD processors have a number of limitations that inevitably lead to end users purchasing something more capable. While temperatures remain to be the 'make or break' factor, noise levels are just as important. So is your desktop computer whining invariably like a sick puppy? Well look no further as this is what today's review is all about.

Nexus is a name that may not ring a bell for many of you. Formed nearly ten years ago in The Netherlands, Nexus started life as designers of fans and heatsinks. Sporting the goal of "Building a Strong and Reliable Trademark for Silent Computing", Nexus are here to show off their latest offering; the VCT-9000.

So what exactly does Nexus' new cooler have to offer?

ManufacturerNexus
ModelVCT-9000
Socket CompatibilityIntel Mount
LGA775/1156/1366
AMD Mount
Socket AM2/AM3
Heatpipe CountTotal of 5 Direct Contact Heatpipes
4 x 6mm Heatpipes
1 x 8mm Central Heatpipe
Heatsink Dimensions (mm)

132 x 117.8 x 144.92

Fan Dimensions
120 x 120 x 25 (mm)
Fan Speed & Noise500 - 1600RPM
Weight

635g

Material

Nickel Plated Copper 


On paper, the VCT-9000 sounds very promising. Featuring a number of direct contact heatpipes, a dense fin structure and a fairly large set of dimensions, perhaps we're on to a winner? Let's continue.

«Prev 1 2 3 4 Next»

Most Recent Comments

09-07-2010, 04:21:11

tinytomlogan
Nexus think they have mastered the art of silent cooling with their VCT-9000 cooler. Let's see if we can prove it.

Continue Reading

09-07-2010, 06:26:22

silenthill
This cooler is all about style and low noise, it really looks nice and stylish and I think it was designed for people who dont overclock but are more concerned with appearance and quiet environment and the packing looks quite good too but 50 is asking too much if it was around 35 I think it will sell quite well and NEXUS is not a well known brand.

09-07-2010, 06:53:26

F-alienware
It's highly probable it works a ton load better on AMD. Usually when a cooler offers poor performance on Intel they are better suited to AMD and vice versa, good Intel coolers tend to put in a poor show on AMD cpus.

Without sounding like a misery guts this is my only complaint about cooler reviews here on OC3D. I know it's not possible for all of the testers to own two complete sets of kit but it is important to give a wider view of what the cooler is capable of accross the brands.

Any way, nice review as always

09-07-2010, 06:54:26

F-alienware
Infact yes, I think my analogy could well be correct. Coolers with direct contact heat pipes are usually wicked on AMD.

09-07-2010, 07:52:59

silenthill
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='AlienALX'
Infact yes, I think my analogy could well be correct. Coolers with direct contact heat pipes are usually wicked on AMD.
what about the Titan Fenrir it was great on both the AMD and INTEL CPUs

09-07-2010, 07:56:17

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='AlienALX'
It's highly probable it works a ton load better on AMD. Usually when a cooler offers poor performance on Intel they are better suited to AMD and vice versa, good Intel coolers tend to put in a poor show on AMD cpus.

Without sounding like a misery guts this is my only complaint about cooler reviews here on OC3D. I know it's not possible for all of the testers to own two complete sets of kit but it is important to give a wider view of what the cooler is capable of accross the brands.

Any way, nice review as always
Thats way wrong fella. AMD's run COOLER anyways, thats just the way it is. So temps will always be better, a cooler that cant cope with a clocked i7 probs will cope with a clocked 965.

09-07-2010, 16:48:20

F-alienware
Well the Fenrir is amazing on LGA but not so good on AM2. The Scythe Mugen 2 is great for AMD but not so good on LGA and so on.

Honestly, I am beginning to notice this in Custom PC where they review about ten coolers a month (boring, but I suppose it gives them something to do ) and any cooler that is brill on LGA usually sucks on AMD.

In fairness though I know that the Intel CPUs are where it is at atm. So hardly any companies are going to make a cooler based around what it does on AM3. They're all going to go where the popular money is at I guess.

I'd be interested to see the insides of these CPUs and see how the core array is arranged

09-07-2010, 20:07:14

Mul.
Do bear in mind that it's difficult to compare temperatures across different processors. Even within a processor family, you will find processors that operate at very different temperatures. Sadly the inconsistency of heatspreader fittings and shape (flat, convex, concave) are far from gone!

As "all the rage" IHS removals were in the era of Athlon 64/Opteron S939 processors, it's certainly not something we see too often these days! It's rarely seen on Core i3/i5/i7's as the mounting clip on LGA sockets make it difficult to use the CPU again.

Ripping apart processors that aren't ours would most certainly go down like a lead balloon, but rest assured if I ever break one I'll take a razor blade to it and post photos just for you

09-07-2010, 20:57:14

AMDFTW
the titan fenrir is a sold cooler for AMD procs,they can even handle hexcores (AMD)

10-07-2010, 04:45:56

silenthill
I think AMD CPUs especially the phenom II are very sensitive to temperature and theres not a lot you can do with them on air cooling, I had a phenom II 965 with a Titan Fenrir cooler I overclocked it to 3.8 GHz stable for two whole days on prime 95 but any higher and I just got those lovely blue screens so then I decided to water-cool it I choose the Swiftech H20-220 Compact to do the job and then I got it stable on 4.1 GHz thats 300 Hz increase but with my current core 7 920 CPU 4.1 GHz is as far as I can go whether I use air cooling or water its the same and thats why most CPU cooler manufactures target the core i7 and i5 the Intel CPUs simply overclock better on air and some manufactures dont even include brackets for the AMD like my Prolimatech Megahalems and if tom tried the Nexus VCT-9000 on the AMD 965 I think he will get really bad results.

10-07-2010, 05:50:53

F-alienware
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='AMDFTW'
the titan fenrir is a sold cooler for AMD procs,they can even handle hexcores (AMD)
Yes it's good but there are better on AMD. Much better.

10-07-2010, 07:15:36

F-alienware
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mul.'
Do bear in mind that it's difficult to compare temperatures across different processors. Even within a processor family, you will find processors that operate at very different temperatures. Sadly the inconsistency of heatspreader fittings and shape (flat, convex, concave) are far from gone!

As "all the rage" IHS removals were in the era of Athlon 64/Opteron S939 processors, it's certainly not something we see too often these days! It's rarely seen on Core i3/i5/i7's as the mounting clip on LGA sockets make it difficult to use the CPU again.

Ripping apart processors that aren't ours would most certainly go down like a lead balloon, but rest assured if I ever break one I'll take a razor blade to it and post photos just for you
Are you the guy who wrote the review then? (sorry, still learning names and so on).

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense.

Would deffo be interested in seeing the insides of a CPU. I should spend some time googling really and see if I can come up with anything.

10-07-2010, 13:16:42

Mul.
That's me.

10-07-2010, 14:54:31

silenthill
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mul.'
That's me.
great review, keep on the good work, you have my appreciation to you and tom and all the OC3D team for all the hard work you put in and best of luck to you all. It would be nice if you could put your names on the end of each review. so you are Author: Milind Chidrawar is that correct?

10-07-2010, 15:39:21

tinytomlogan
The Authors name is at the top of EVERY page

10-07-2010, 16:01:45

F-alienware
After some digging I found what appears to be the internal core layout for both the I7 and the P2.

I7

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...tiburon/i7.jpg

Phenom 2

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...on/phenom2.jpg

So they're actually completely different as I suspected. I suppose that positioning of heat pipes will make the difference here.

10-07-2010, 16:11:29

silenthill
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='AlienALX'
After some digging I found what appears to be the internal core layout for both the I7 and the P2.

I7

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...tiburon/i7.jpg

Phenom 2

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...on/phenom2.jpg

So they're actually completely different as I suspected. I suppose that positioning of heat pipes will make the difference here.
very interesting
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.