Corsair H70 Review

What's in the box?

Corsair H70 Review

What's in the Box?

The H50 box was nicely designed, but suffered from incredibly thin plastic holding it all together. It was perfect if you never wanted to put the cooler back in the box, but an absolute nightmare if you did. Straight away the H70 is an improvement with egg-box style cardboard keeping the whole arrangement nicely in place and making it as easy to store as you could hope.

The front certainly stands out leaving nobody in any doubt of what is in the box. Although we can't wait to hear the "I expected it to have some RAM in there" thanks to the cheeky use of a stick of Dominator in the picture.

Corsair H70 Review     Corsair H70 Review  

The universal mounting system is identical to that which we saw on the H50. It was so simple to use there that we're pleased to see Corsair haven't tinkered for the sake of it. So often we find things work perfectly well and then get needlessly changed for the sake of change. Anyone who's tried a one-sided webcam conversation on the new Windows Live knows what we mean.

As well as two of Corsairs fans we also have some adaptors in the box. There are two with in-line resistors for fan speed reduction, and a y-splitter so you can run both fans off one header. Very welcome additions to the package.

Corsair H70 Review     Corsair H70 Review  

Here it is in all its glory. The difference between this and the H50 is instantly noticable. The radiator is 50mm thick, twice the thickness of the H50, and once you get both the fans on there it certainly will be a fair lump to install.

Flipping the size thing around, the heatsink/pump combination is greatly reduced in height.

Corsair H70 Review     Corsair H70 Review  

The largest annoyance when trying to fit the H50 was how inflexible it all was. Installing the heatsink meant having the radiator flapping about and hitting you in the arm/side of the head. If you installed the radiator first then the pump would be waving around in the air. Although the tubing isn't enormously more flexible, there is at least a little more suppleness to the H70s arrangement.

The best improvement though is the addition of rotating fittings which really help not only installation but also radiator placement. With some ITX or mATX cases you could mount the radiator at the front now, which makes far more sense considering Corsair want you to use it as an intake and not an exhaust.

Corsair H70 Review     Corsair H70 Review

«Prev 1 2 3 4 Next»

Most Recent Comments

10-08-2010, 20:57:44

tinytomlogan
Today we take a look at the new all-in-one CPU cooler from Corsair.

Continue Reading

10-08-2010, 21:28:15

F-alienware
Nice one Tom. Thanks for the review !

Looks like it will be another cult-esque success tbh, ideal for people who want water cooling for its cool factor (*groan*) but don't want to get into something that may leak and needs constant attention.

Hopefully one day (cough cough hint hint) Corsair will consider making something similar for GPUs. I would rush out to get something like this that fitted my 5770s.

I do have a criticism with this unit though. The hoses.

With my specific case (the Alienware Predator 2) the unit really needs to be in the front. The hoses simply are not long enough. Corsair know this too as many people have a similar issue to myself. Maybe in the future they can make two models. One for front mounting and one for rear.

11-08-2010, 06:33:17

equk
Cool review

Sounds like you were suffering a bit with man-flu tho

The radiator seems massive and it sounded pretty loud when you put the camera near the test station.

For nearly 100 it seems pretty expensive

I have seen the H50 for 50-60 so would guess a lot of people would just buy that instead.

I'm thinking of building a custom watercooled rig at the moment so seeing this review has made me think a little more (in favour of getting a proper custom loop)

Also the H50/H70 don't seem to have the ability to compete with any proper watercooling setups, if anything they seem to be a replacement for air coolers.

11-08-2010, 08:15:35

silenthill
Not much an improvement over the H50 and it takes a big chunk out of your case, to be honest the NH-D14 is still king of the game anyway hope you get better Tom and drink lots of liquids it reduces the time the flu virus can stay in your body.

12-08-2010, 06:51:07

AMDFTW
the h70 beats the h50 lol and even the dh14

12-08-2010, 08:33:27

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDFTW View Post

the h70 beats the h50 lol and even the dh14
No where near the D14 mate sorry.

12-08-2010, 08:34:35

AMDFTW
did it not beat it a little in your review.hmm sorry fella i thought i saw it

so the dh14 is still the better AIR cooler?

12-08-2010, 08:59:33

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDFTW View Post

did it not beat it a little in your review.hmm sorry fella i thought i saw it

so the dh14 is still the better AIR cooler?
No mate the NH-D14 still rocks it... and its almost silent too.

12-08-2010, 09:02:33

AMDFTW
yer your right i ught i saw it on another review that it beat it by 3c (h70 at 12v push/pull) but it wasent lol

o well

EDIT- i have just read another review and when overclocked to 4.1 (980x) the h70 does beat the dh14 at full load by 8c,not quite shure how impartial the review was but still

12-08-2010, 09:23:53

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDFTW View Post

yer your right i ught i saw it on another review that it beat it by 3c (h70 at 12v push/pull) but it wasent lol

o well

EDIT- i have just read another review and when overclocked to 4.1 (980x) the h70 does beat the dh14 at full load by 8c,not quite shure how impartial the review was but still
Aye thats bull tbh.... Cant lie with my temps its in the video

12-08-2010, 12:08:09

silenthill
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

Nice one Tom. Thanks for the review !

Looks like it will be another cult-esque success tbh, ideal for people who want water cooling for its cool factor (*groan*) but don't want to get into something that may leak and needs constant attention.

Hopefully one day (cough cough hint hint) Corsair will consider making something similar for GPUs. I would rush out to get something like this that fitted my 5770s.

I do have a criticism with this unit though. The hoses.

With my specific case (the Alienware Predator 2) the unit really needs to be in the front. The hoses simply are not long enough. Corsair know this too as many people have a similar issue to myself. Maybe in the future they can make two models. One for front mounting and one for rear.
Doesn't CoolIT have something like that, I think they teamed up with BFG and made a GUP water cooled enclosed system for the GTX 295 correct me if I'm wrong.

12-08-2010, 15:29:15

AMDFTW
i have only seen zotac make a all in one loop for GPU's

15-08-2010, 19:29:20

andyvee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

No mate the NH-D14 still rocks it... and its almost silent too.
Just playing devils advocate here and i may have missed something but your review seems to have been tested on an open system ( unless someone actually bought an antec skeleton not your normal user setup ) so a good air cooler should win out . Put the coolers in a case ( and in the case of the h70 setup as per Corsair as an intake ) and the results would be very different , another review even had the 980x ref cooler better than the dh-14 when tested in a case .

15-08-2010, 20:00:51

Complex!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvee View Post

Just playing devils advocate here and i may have missed something but your review seems to have been tested on an open system ( unless someone actually bought an antec skeleton not your normal user setup ) so a good air cooler should win out . Put the coolers in a case ( and in the case of the h70 setup as per Corsair as an intake ) and the results would be very different , another review even had the 980x ref cooler better than the dh-14 when tested in a case .
The 980x ref cooler better than the Noctua NH-D14? Well obviously that website has no idea what they're talking about.

16-08-2010, 04:00:20

andyvee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex! View Post

The 980x ref cooler better than the Noctua NH-D14? Well obviously that website has no idea what they're talking about.
Well they at least bothered to actually put the coolers into a case , they also stated that the dh-14 was not mounted in what would be its best position due to its size - well you can house a family of 5 in that things footprint - , lastly the 980x heatsink is a fair bit better than the normal i7 jobby .

16-08-2010, 08:12:39

tinytomlogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvee View Post

Well they at least bothered to actually put the coolers into a case , they also stated that the dh-14 was not mounted in what would be its best position due to its size - well you can house a family of 5 in that things footprint - , lastly the 980x heatsink is a fair bit better than the normal i7 jobby .
The only heatsink it makes any difference on would be the H50/70 and thats why Corsair want it tested differently.

I have the NH-D14 in my own rig IN a case and it makes all of 1-2c difference. taking that in to account combined with the time and ease of using a test bench means we will continue to test this way. All of our readers are bright enough to make their own conclusions on in case temps if they wish.

I might add a LARGE selection of our members and readers have bought the NH-D14 and all also report within 1-2c the temps I stated in the review.

So, must be fairly accurate eh

16-08-2010, 08:29:11

FragTek
Tom - 1

Andy - 0

16-08-2010, 11:17:28

andyvee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

The only heatsink it makes any difference on would be the H50/70 and thats why Corsair want it tested differently.

I would suggest they want it tested this way as it is the recommended installation method

I have the NH-D14 in my own rig IN a case and it makes all of 1-2c difference. taking that in to account combined with the time and ease of using a test bench means we will continue to test this way. All of our readers are bright enough to make their own conclusions on in case temps if they wish.

Viewers of this site may be intelligent but are'nt mind readers , you don't specify either in the typed review or the video that it is an open test , also although you use the stock fans with the H70 you dont specify the type and number of fans fitted to the dh-14 which brings it all down to guesswork , feel free to check hexus or hardware canucks reviews that list in detail exactly what they are testing with .

I might add a LARGE selection of our members and readers have bought the NH-D14 and all also report within 1-2c the temps I stated in the review.

I had an prolimatech a while ago and found that even the H50 ( push/pull ) outperforms it when you factor in a couple of sli'd toasters ( average of 9-12 degrees cooler on a 930 after an evening of BC2 ) I would add that i am neither a fan or hater of either the d14 or the h70 and have enjoyed a lot of the reviews from here over the last year or so but the type of person who buys these coolers will generally be running high end kit which generates heat and therefore would like to see these tested in real world environments

So, must be fairly accurate eh

My machine is based on a i7-930 ( 3.4 mildly o/c'd )yet in a closed case with its back against the wall i idle at ~ 33 and running prime overnight will only hit just over 60 ( ambient ~ 18-20 ) , not really in line with your results
.

16-08-2010, 12:53:16

tinytomlogan
You need to remove your reply fromt the quote above^^^

And we test all sinks with the fans that they come with unless specified. Funny how you are the only one with any kind of problem, everyone else knows

16-08-2010, 13:08:40

AMDFTW
OC3D's reviews rock and are far the best i have written and are very impartial

and

Tom - 2

Andy - 0

16-08-2010, 14:27:05

andyvee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

You need to remove your reply fromt the quote above^^^

And we test all sinks with the fans that they come with unless specified. Funny how you are the only one with any kind of problem, everyone else knows
My bad on the quotes .

So NOW you tell me you test with fans as the units come ( why make a song and dance about installing h70 as intake then when that is the recommeded install method ) , now please show me where in either your typed review or in your video where you state that ( back to mindreading/guessing again ) .

I have no problem with any of the above but you still seem either unable or unwilling to note that if you have 1 , 2 or more graphics cards in your machine - not normally more than a couple of inches away from the cpu - then a heatpipe cooler will be more affected than any of the rad type coolers from corsair/coolit/asetek ( running them as intake ) due to them pulling in cooler air from outside the case , again not something you'll notice as much running on an open system

16-08-2010, 15:24:54

equk
Has anyone taken the H70 appart yet?

Was looking around and found some pics of the H50 block



Also didn't even realise this:

Radiator Material: Aluminum

09-03-2011, 06:57:14

fraghappy245
Andtvee If Tom test both coolers in our outside a case it wont make on bit off difference because then the h70 will be getting even more cooler air than it would sat inside the case so should work even better than corsair say so both coolers would have the same advantage or disadvantage as each other which means it comes down to which cooler is best and we all know that don't we
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.