CM Storm Sniper

Conclusion

Conclusion

The desire to produce a 'gamer friendly' case by manufacturers has certainly pushed some interesting cases our way in the last couple of months. The Akasa Infiniti Zor is of particular note, as it aimed to cater to gamers on a budget, but seemed to cut too many corners. The Sniper then delivers on two very important factors when buying a case: build quality and cooling performance.

Since the Sniper is made up largely of grills and fan blowholes, the appearance isn't anything particularly outstanding, but CM Storm have done a reasonable job on this. The I/O panel is particularly good on this model, and we hope CM Storm continue this with all their new cases. The built-in fan controller saves you a good £20 on buying one separate to the case, and it also controls the LED's in the fans, which is a nice touch.

Priced at £133.96 from Scan.co.uk, it is reasonably priced, but not outstanding. For example, Ebuyer have just listed the Antec 902 for just under £100, which has similar cooling power and comes with anodised black internals. This doesn't mean the Sniper is a bad buy, far from it, but there are plenty of other choices out there, so the case really needed to be an outstanding value, rather than just 'ok'.

The Good:
+ Fantastic cooling
+ Easy installation
+ Impressive fan controller and I/O bay

The Mediocre:

* The price

The Bad:
- Poor options for cable routing



Overclock3D would like to thank Cooler Master for supplying today's review sample. Discuss in our Forums.
«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next»

Most Recent Comments

14-02-2009, 09:53:39

Luigi
With Cooler Master taking storm under their wing, they have come up with something that looks very impressive on paper. We see how it relates to real world performance here.

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...165758590s.jpg

14-02-2009, 10:30:35

zak4994
People with modular PSUs will have a nightmare. lol.

14-02-2009, 10:33:08

Luigi
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='zak4994'
People with modular PSUs will have a nightmare. lol.
its the same if not worse for non-modular? apart from the one I tested with :S

14-02-2009, 10:34:44

zak4994
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Luigi'
its the same if not worse for non-modular? apart from the one I tested with :S
Modular cables will be shorter so they will need to be in view while non-modular will have lots of spare cables but can easily be hidden around.

I looked at the wire filled image and saw a couple more ways of making it more neater.

14-02-2009, 10:37:53

Luigi
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='zak4994'
Modular cables will be shorter so they will need to be in view while non-modular will have lots of spare cables but can easily be hidden around.

I looked at the wire filled image and saw a couple more ways of making it more neater.
Im sure you did, Ive seen a few myself, but if we spent hours doing cable management we'd never get reviews out :S

14-02-2009, 11:18:03

Socks
im not even going to look at any other cases until they come out with a pre powdercoated one with every cable braided. So far the Asaka Eclipse is the closest to being perfect...

14-02-2009, 11:19:33

Luigi
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='sock58'
im not even going to look at any other cases until they come out with a pre powdercoated one with every cable braided. So far the Asaka Eclipse is the closest to being perfect...
Hmm, Take a look at the antec 900-2 (mentioned in review)?

14-02-2009, 11:23:49

Socks
Thats a dog of a case though...

btw, tom, post office monday morning, they WILL be open and i WILL be there. XD

16-02-2009, 14:11:56

Bungral
One lil thing I'd mention is when you say:

Up top we have CM Storm's revolutionary control panel. The big dial controls the speed of all the internal fans, and you push it in to activate/deactivate the LED's on the fans. To the right we have the usual array of ports; 4x USB, Firewire, Headphone + Mic, HDD and Power LED's.





You miss out mentioning the fact it has an esata port on the front panel which is 10 times more noteworthy than a firewire in my opinion

16-02-2009, 14:12:45

zak4994
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Bungral'
One lil thing I'd mention is when you say:

You miss out mentioning the fact it has an esata port on the front panel which is 10 times more noteworthy than a firewire in my opinion
HDD stands for eSATA.

16-02-2009, 14:27:21

Bungral
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='zak4994'
HDD stands for eSATA.
Stands for Hard Disk Drive...

Also when he says: HDD and Power LED's... I'm sure he means the LED's.

One last thing, the link on the first post is dead for me.. Don't know about anyone else though.

16-02-2009, 14:29:22

zak4994
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Bungral'
Stands for Hard Disk Drive...

Also when he says: HDD and Power LED's... I'm sure he means the LED's.

One last thing, the link on the first post is dead for me.. Don't know about anyone else though.
I know HDD stans for Hard Disk Drive but I meant when he mentioned HDD in the review he meant eSATA.

lol

16-02-2009, 15:40:02

Luigi
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Bungral'

You miss out mentioning the fact it has an esata port on the front panel which is 10 times more noteworthy than a firewire in my opinion
Thanks for that ammended

16-02-2009, 16:12:58

Bungral
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Luigi'
Thanks for that ammended
No problemo. Other than that a good read and review mate. Enjoyed it.

25-02-2009, 03:35:37

n3xT
Nice case but I prefer my HAF
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.