Antec P182 Advanced Super Mid Tower

Installation and Testing

Installation & Testing

To test out the P182 I installed the following hardware:

  • Intel Pentium 4 925 (stock cooler & thermal paste)
  • ASRock 4coredual-vsta
  • 1GB Corsair Value
  • ATI 9800pro
  • Maxtor Dimondmax 200GB SATA2
  • Hiper Type-R 480w

While this system isn't the fastest around these days, it certainly produces a lot of heat, and is more than enough to test the overall case performance.


Installation

Installing the components to the case was a similar experience with all standard ATX cases. The P182's size however, greatly assists you in getting the components into the case safely and securely.

p182_install_over

p182_install_top p182_install_bottom

I chose to install the hard drive in the lower of the 2 compartments as it keeps the top half tidier. This is as simple as screwing in the special retaining screws, through the rubber grommets and into the drive. The drive is suspended in its cage, with no direct metal to metal contact...minimising the risk of vibration noise that the drive emits when it seeks. The CD drive installation was totally painless. Simply screw on the rails and slide it into the bay. The arms click into place and holds it quite securely.

p182_install_hdd p182_install_odd

With more time I could have easily hidden a few more wires away. The unruly molex chain in the middle being the most obvious. Unfortunately due the the hardware I used the 24-pin cable tidy hole in the motherboard was rendered redundant, however when i went to route the 4-pin P4 connector around the back it simply wasn't long enough to make the extra difference. I checked the length with an old Hiper 350w PSU and a Seasonic M12 and neither were long enough either. I feel Antec could have included a 4 and 8-pin extension for this purpose, but alas it's not present.

p182_install_4pin

Overall the installation was reasonably quick. Minus the time I spent testing 4-pin lengths it only took about half an hour. In order to make the most of the extra cable tidying features, you would need to take the layout of your motherboard into consideration however.


Temperatures

To test the thermal properties of the case, I set all the supplied fans to medium, and added a 4th tricool directly behind the upper fan filter on the front of the case. It was then sealed, booted and left to idle for 30 minutes. Then I used ORTHOS to force the presler core to emit as much heat as possible for a further 30 minutes. Temperatures were taken with Everest Ultimate Edition and ambient throughout was 25.°C (+/- 0.5).

temps

As you can see the P182's airflow was more than adequate to keep the 925 perfectly cool under the stress of ORTHOS... managing to sustain a respectable 49° throughout the test period.


Noise

One of the P182's main selling points is that it claims too be extremely quiet. I must say that it lives up to its claims. The tricools 3 settings give exactly what they say, low, medium and high, in both airflow and noise. The low being very quiet indeed, while shifting a reasonable amount of air. The medium being a mid-point and high being rather noisy, but shifting a lot of air. I ran the 4 fans I installed at all settings and in my opinion, the medium setting gave the perfect balance of silence and airflow.

The vibration dampeners on the PSU bay & 3 ply panels help keep the noise levels down. But the most effective feature is the hard drive dampeners - these really do eliminate the rattle of your drives spinning up, to the point where its barely audible.

Flip the page for the conclusion and overall rating of the P182...
«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next»

Most Recent Comments

23-05-2007, 06:48:11

Ham
Recently I got a chance too look over Antec's new revision of the p180. See how it fairs here

23-05-2007, 06:54:46

FarFarAway
It's a hard case to criticise tbh, although I'm not a huge fan of the looks it's still a nice looking case.

Glad they sorted cable tidying too

23-05-2007, 09:12:34

ionicle
looks cool

only one snag,

NO WINDOW!

the only thing that case needs...

and antec STIL dont bother

thats the only reason i wouldnt buy one

black, or shiney gunmetal, with window....

23-05-2007, 09:19:54

DavidT
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='ionicle'
looks cool

only one snag,

NO WINDOW!

the only thing that case needs...

and antec STIL dont bother

thats the only reason i wouldnt buy one

black, or shiney gunmetal, with window....
I assume it would be difficult to get a side window in the 3-layer side panel though. Not to mention, it would defeat the purpose of having the 3-layer panel,as noise would easily make it through the window.

23-05-2007, 09:23:48

Ham
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='DavidT'
I assume it would be difficult to get a side window in the 3-layer side panel though. Not to mention, it would defeat the purpose of having the 3-layer panel,as noise would easily make it through the window.
you got it there. From modding my P180b i can tell you its a total pita too cut.

23-05-2007, 09:51:57

ionicle
kustom do a P180 with a side window....why cant antec just do one, with either a super thick perspex, or 3 layers of perspex or somthing....with perhaps foam to hold it in round the edges, or ...them rubber things they use on proper windows to hold them in, that would prevent any sound getting out imo

23-05-2007, 09:53:40

FarFarAway
Antec don't do one as it is outside of the remit of the case. They want the P182 to be quiet and cool and a window certainly hinders one part of the brief

23-05-2007, 09:55:42

ionicle
yeh, its a shame tbh, a window would look awsome imo

23-05-2007, 10:13:12

llwyd
Windows arent exactly in keeping with the looks of this case tbh. I have one and its big selling point for me is the modern, clean look, no OTT features / bling at all

23-05-2007, 10:36:58

ionicle

23-05-2007, 10:38:10

FarFarAway
But why? Unless you've modded the interior really well, it's very very ugly inside

23-05-2007, 10:40:17

ionicle
i like the look of the interior tbh...

imagine watercooling in that....

23-05-2007, 10:43:11

donnynsc
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='ionicle'
i like the look of the interior tbh...

imagine watercooling in that....
I just bought this case from Overclockers 2 days ago. Still waiting for delivery, hope it really dead silence...

23-05-2007, 10:48:18

Ham
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='donnynsc'
I just bought this case from Overclockers 2 days ago. Still waiting for delivery, hope it really dead silence...
With the fans on low its very quiet. But you'll bee some biggass air coolers cos theres not that much flow. Or water.

23-05-2007, 10:48:31

llwyd
Inside is horrible, and why would you want to see the PSU compartment which is always just a mess of wires. not only that but that windows is crud. They should have rubber trimmed the cut and put some thinner acrylic on the inside

23-05-2007, 10:52:07

DavidT
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez'
But why? Unless you've modded the interior really well, it's very very ugly inside
Going to have to agree with you on that one, unlike the outside of the case, the interior looks extremely fugly.

Maybe if it was painted black like the SE edition, even then, it's more the layout that makes it ugly than the finish.

What they could have done with that window, is make it so that you only see the mobo area, and they should have mounted the window on the inside and made a bevel on it to make it flush with the outside.

23-05-2007, 10:55:30

donnynsc
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='DavidT'
Going to have to agree with you on that one, unlike the outside of the case, the interior looks extremely fugly.

Maybe if it was painted black like the SE edition, even then, it's more the layout that makes it ugly than the finish.

What they could have done with that window, is make it so that you only see the mobo area, and they should have mounted the window on the inside and made a bevel on it to make it flush with the outside.
Fortunately mine hasn't got a window. LOL

23-05-2007, 10:58:32

ionicle
ah well, just me who thinks it looks half decent on the inside then

but then again, i think thermaltake's look ok on the inside...

however, i do like my lian li now

with a window, especially

23-05-2007, 12:05:58

Yeungster
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='ionicle'
No offence, but that looks bloody terrible! It doesn't suit the case at all, and looks like a bodge job

23-05-2007, 16:36:48

Bogel
I agree with Yeungster, that just ruined the case :| I mean just look at it That case deserved better

23-05-2007, 17:27:15

OV3RCLOCK3R
Not too keen on the window aswell, Much better without it. You can see the pics of mine here:

http://www.oc-arena.co.uk/pics/ANTEC%20P182/

Rate my cable managment aswell. I'll get some new pics as its even better now

23-05-2007, 19:07:11

donnynsc
Antec 182 is hightly rated by CustomPC. I was very keen bout casing with windows in the past, but, guess I'm just not bothered anymore, thus I bought this case

23-05-2007, 20:38:47

FghtinIrshNvrDie
I only skimmed the article. What's the price point on this bad boy? I really like a sleek windowless unit. That's for the kiddies...

Ryan

23-05-2007, 20:42:48

DavidT
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='FghtinIrshNvrDie'
I only skimmed the article. What's the price point on this bad boy? I really like a sleek windowless unit. That's for the kiddies...

Ryan
About $140 US

http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24122&vpn=P182&manufacture=ANTEC&phpuuid=71C1398E-5912-963A-2C8D11DC1D614AD6

24-05-2007, 04:52:39

nunzio
I do like the looks of this case. And i can live without the window on it.

26-05-2007, 23:03:41

xh131t10n
Anyone know if it will fit an 8800gtx???

27-05-2007, 00:15:21

MikeEnIke
I'm pretty positive i would fit a GTX Xh

27-05-2007, 00:42:20

DavidT
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='xh131t10n'
Anyone know if it will fit an 8800gtx???
Without a doubt. And if for some reason you can't, you can just remove the hard drive cage to make some space.

27-05-2007, 05:04:56

Yeungster
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='DavidT'
Without a doubt. And if for some reason you can't, you can just remove the hard drive cage to make some space.
Agreed. Although I haven't got a GTX, I've read that by removing the middle HD cage, it'll fit

27-05-2007, 06:09:17

donnynsc
Yes, it will definitely fit a 8800GTX.

Mine is BFG 8800GTX OC2 card, fit like a dream. Middle HD case need to remove for installation, can put back after the GTX is in place.

I removed my middle HD case anyway, coz it can't slot in after I fitted the 120mm front case fan.

27-05-2007, 08:51:50

OV3RCLOCK3R
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='donnynsc'
Yes, it will definitely fit a 8800GTX.

Mine is BFG 8800GTX OC2 card, fit like a dream. Middle HD case need to remove for installation, can put back after the GTX is in place.

I removed my middle HD case anyway, coz it can't slot in after I fitted the 120mm front case fan.
Mine fits even with the front fan installed

27-05-2007, 11:43:51

Ham
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='OV3RCLOCK3R'
Mine fits even with the front fan installed
Same here, he must be using a 38mm 120.

Took my HDD cage out and mounted my DDC + watertank.

27-05-2007, 20:29:00

donnynsc
Guess I am. Anyway, I don't really need tht middle case, might as well put it away.

16-11-2007, 07:07:13

tsinc80697
Will the

H20-220 Apex™ Ultra

Fit into this case and will the rad fit on back without obstructing anything?

16-11-2007, 07:37:31

Ham
Yes, you should be able to fit that kit in, although you may need to do some modding of the case to get it snug.

16-11-2007, 07:38:58

tsinc80697
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ham'
Yes, you should be able to fit that kit in, although you may need to do some modding of the case to get it snug.
What type of modding you think?

I was just wondering where the pump would go and how the rad on the back would fit.

Would it not get in the way of the motherboard external connections or can I mount it so its above the case ?

16-11-2007, 07:57:40

llwyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='tsinc80697'
What type of modding you think?

I was just wondering where the pump would go and how the rad on the back would fit.

Would it not get in the way of the motherboard external connections or can I mount it so its above the case ?
External rear mounting of the radiator IS an option, but you would need to put some effort into making effective and spacious brakets. The top is plastic and so easily cut to accommodate a radiator OR you can mount the radiator on feet on top of the case and run the hosing to it via the two pre-cut holes in the back of the case.

Not sure if you've got one already but I have a P182 here for sale for like 50 o.n.o if you're interested

16-11-2007, 08:00:13

tsinc80697
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='llwyd'
External rear mounting of the radiator IS an option, but you would need to put some effort into making effective and spacious brakets. The top is plastic and so easily cut to accommodate a radiator OR you can mount the radiator on feet on top of the case and run the hosing to it via the two pre-cut holes in the back of the case.

Not sure if you've got one already but I have a P182 here for sale for like 50 o.n.o if you're interested
Definitely interested if its in good condition and comes with all the parts like new. Was just about to buy one over the next few days if it can fit a water cooling setup without too much hassle.

Can the radiator only be mounted on the back and not the top ?

16-11-2007, 08:03:55

llwyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='tsinc80697'
Definitely interested if its in good condition and comes with all the parts like new. Was just about to buy one over the next few days if it can fit a water cooling setup without too much hassle.

Can the radiator only be mounted on the back and not the top ?
good lad. add my msn if youre able - llwyd(at)overclock3d(dot)net

rear mounting would probably be the most effort as the radiator needs to be a good 6"+ away from the back of the case. mounting it on top would be my first choice (although I ran it with the radiator sat on some feet on the desk next to the pc) as it leaves the case untouched for the future and keeps it away from warm exhaust from the GPU and PSU

16-11-2007, 09:37:48

tsinc80697
Thanks alot llwyd, sorted out a case from him and he helped me with a watercool build!

Should have rep on here, unless Im blind !

16-11-2007, 09:41:22

llwyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='tsinc80697'
Thanks alot llwyd, sorted out a case from him and he helped me with a watercool build!

Should have rep on here, unless Im blind !
under avatar = Reputation: Moderator

16-11-2007, 09:42:21

tsinc80697
lol suppose I am then!

Get back to work anyway ! :P
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.