WD releases ShareSpace NAS Page: 1
Big-time storage without the need for a big-time IT department.
Aimed squarely at the SOHO (Small Office/Home Office) market, Western Digital has released their new NAS solution, the ShareSpace, which comes in two configurations. Firstly, there's a two-drive, 2TB version with a RRP of $699.99. Secondly, there's a four-drive, 4TB version with a RRP of $999.99. The 2TB version is supplied with the two drives set to Spanning Mode, which acts like a single drive volume. The 4TB version is supplied with the four drives preset to RAID 5 mode but can be reconfigured to RAID 0 or RAID 1.
Jim Welsh, vice president and general manager of WD's branded products and consumer electronics groups, said of the ShareSpace:
With the WD ShareSpace storage system, small offices and home network users can experience the same centralized storage and data protection often found only in big corporate data centers, the set-up process is a breeze, so you can be up and running in a matter of minutes. This WD ShareSpace system offers big-time storage without the need for a big-time IT department.
- A small-footprint, 4-bay storage system that takes up very little space and provides plenty of storage to go around
- GigE connectivity with data transfer rates up to one gigabit per second when used in a GigE network
- RAID 0/1/5 capabilities for data protection and speed
- WD's unique MioNet remote Web access service (for PC and Mac) that lets users access the drive from anywhere
- Automatic and continuous network backup software including licenses to back up 3 computers
- E-mail alert system that monitors drive and system health and sends you an e-mail if a problem is detected
- Microsoft® Active Directory® directory service support
- Plug a USB drive into the front-mounted USB 2.0 port and push a button to transfer automatically all the data on the drive to the WD ShareSpace system
- Equipped with WD drives using WD GreenPower technology, this system, with its efficient cooling architecture and power saving mode, consumes up to 33 percent less power2 and is reliably cool and quiet
- Download manager that supports scheduled downloads through FTP and HTTP
- iTunes server
- Windows Vista® operating system ready
- Built-in FTP server
- 3 USB 2.0 ports
- 3-year limited warranty.
You can view the ShareSpace product page and the full press release on the Western Digital website. You can also discuss in our forums here.