AMD Catalyst 14.7 Releases, without Windows 8 Support?
Last night AMD released their 14.7 Drivers, which aside from the usual performance improvements and bug fixes has dropped support for and OS, not even an Old OS but Windows 8.
Users of Windows 8 can upgrade to 8.1 for free, so Windows 8 users need not fear this change. Those who do not wish to upgrade to Windows 8.1 will still be able to use AMD's older 14.4 driver and future windows 7 driver will be able to be installed on windows 8 but AMD will no longer create specific Windows 8 drivers.
Feature Highlights of the AMD Catalyst™ 14.7? RC Driver for Windows
- Includes all improvements found in the AMD Catalyst™ 14.6 RC driver
- AMD ?CrossFire™ and AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics profile update for Plants vs. Zombies???
- Assassin's Creed IV - improved CrossFire scaling (3840x2160 High Settings) up to 93%
- Collaboration with AOC has identified non-standard display timings as the root cause of 60Hz SST flickering exhibited by the AOC U2868PQU panel on certain AMD Radeon™ graphics cards. A software workaround has been implemented in AMD Catalyst 14.7 RC driver to resolve the display timing issues with this display.
- Users are further encouraged to obtain newer display firmware from AOC that will resolve flickering at its origin.
- Users are additionally advised to utilize DisplayPort-certified cables to ensure the integrity of the DisplayPort data connection.???
Feature Highlights of the AMD Catalyst™ 14.6 RC Driver for Windows
Plants vs. Zombies (Direct3D performance improvements):
AMD Radeon R9 290X - 1920x1080 Ultra – improves up to 11%
AMD Radeon R9 290X - 2560x1600 Ultra – improves up to 15%
AMD Radeon R9 290X CrossFire configuration (3840x2160 Ultra) - 92% scaling
3DMark Sky Diver improvements:
AMD A4-6300 – improves up to 4%
Enables AMD Dual Graphics/AMD CrossFire support
Grid Auto Sport:
AMD CrossFire profile
Power Xpress profile
Performance improvements to improve smoothness of application
Performance improves up to 24% at 2560x1600 on the AMD Radeon R9 and R7 Series of products for both single GPU and multi-GPU configurations.
AMD CrossFire – Frame pacing improvements
Battlefield Hardline Beta:
AMD CrossFire profile
In summation this new driver is mainly bug fixes, specifically issues in AOC monitors. Aside from this there are only improvements in EA's Plants vs Zombies and Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed IV.
You can find all details of this driver and a direct download here and can discuss the driver here on the OC3D Forums.