LG with Some Major Announcements
"LG has some big news for us from CES. Some big news on products and information from LG, at least one of which, may save you some serious money. Read on for more information..."
Published: 10th January 2007 | Source: LG |10/01/07
Player with Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD Playback Capabilities Introduced for First Quarter 2007 Availability
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 7, 2007 - Blending the latest technologies and offering unprecedented flexibility to consumers seeking the convenience of playing both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD high-definition content, LG Electronics (LG), a leader in consumer electronics and mobile communications, today launched the groundbreaking "Super Multi Blue" Player at the 2007 International CES® (Booth #8214, Central Hall, Las Vegas Convention Center). Launching in the United States during the first quarter of 2007, this advanced dual-format high-definition disc player, LG model BH100, will be the first player on the market with the capability to play both next-generation disc formats, addressing the challenge of the current format war. The new player is ideally suited to LG's expanded lineup of Full HD 1080p plasma and LCD HDTVs, delivering best video possible in the highest display resolution format. "We've developed the Super Multi Blue Player to end the confusion caused by the current competition between Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD. Customers are no longer forced to choose between the two formats," said Dr. Hee Gook Lee, president and chief technology officer of LG Electronics. "As Full HD TV is already gaining ground, we are hoping that the Super Multi Blue Player will play the trigger role in expanding and advancing both Full HD TV and high-definition DVD market volume together."
LG Electronics also offers flexibility to consumers in the next generation in optical disc drives for personal computers. (See news release in separate email.) The GGW-H10N, also available in the first quarter of 2007, is compatible with both Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD formats. The Super Multi Blue 50GB drive is compatible with Blu-ray Disc, DVD, CD read/write and HD-DVD-ROM (read), offering the most universal unit available.
|We know our customers want high definition content for their HDTVs. We also know a format war keeps people on the sidelines," said Mike Vitelli, senior vice president of merchandising at Best Buy. "With this new dual-format player, LG is offering a viable solution to this dispute. This is the kind of customer-focused approach that Best Buy looks to bring to our customers." Warner Home Video President Ron Sanders added, "We enthusiastically welcome LG's introduction of the Super Multi Blue high-definition disc player. This is a great first step towards resolving consumer confusion and uncertainty due to the two high-definition formats. The Super Multi Blue Player will allow studios to better meet consumers' growing demand for high-definition content in both the Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD formats." "By providing a high-definition player that supports both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD discs, LG is delivering a product that puts the customer first," said Randy Wick, senior vice president and general merchandise manager of consumer electronics at Circuit City Stores, Inc. "We applaud the LG customer-friendly approach, as it will serve to alleviate customers' confusion about the two formats.|
Michael Ahn, president and CEO of LG Electronics North American Headquarters, echoed comments from Hollywood and leading retailers in support of LG's dual-format approach. "The American consumers' love affair with HDTV is now even stronger thanks to LG's marriage of Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD. What's more, our player upconverts standard DVDs to 1080i resolution, providing compatibility with consumers' existing movie libraries while improving the picture quality of those discs, too." In addition to offering Full HD 1080p picture quality from high-definition discs, the player incorporates interactive functions based on BD-Java, which allows advanced menus and functions to be displayed over the video of Blu-ray discs. And, while the same level of advanced menu interactivity is not available while playing HD DVD discs, the powerful combination of Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD audio/video playback technologies is like no other on the market. The unit supports various A/V formats, including MPEG-2, VC-1, H.264 video, MPEG1/2 audio, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+, DTS and DTS-HD audio, and includes multiple inputs/outputs such as HDMI out, component / composite video outputs, and optical / coaxial / discrete 5.1 channel audio outputs, among others. The strikingly designed unit incorporates elegant and easy-to-use backlit touch sensor buttons along with an ergonomic remote control that delivers an effortless command of the next-generation home entertainment experience. LG's Super Multi Blue Player (BH100), available to U.S. consumers during the first quarter of 2007, is expected to sell for about U.S. $1,199.
LG CES Announcements:
· LG ELECTRONICS UNVEILS NEW SUPER MULTI BLUE DUAL-FORMAT DRIVE AT INTERNATIONAL CES
Functioning as Blu-ray Disc Rewriter and HD DVD-ROM drive, Product Highlights LG's 2007 Optical Storage and Flash Ram Lines
· WORLD'S FIRST DUAL-FORMAT HIGH-DEFINITION DISC PLAYER LEADS LG ELECTRONICS' NEW LINEUP OF DIGITAL AUDIO-VIDEO PRODUCTS
Products Blend Performance, Style and Functionality Supporting Consumers' Demand for Enhanced Home Theater Experience
· LG ELECTRONICS PROVIDES GLIMPSE INTO EXCITING CONSUMER ELECTRONICS FUTURE100-inch LCD HDTV, 3D-TV, LED-LCD HDTV Showcased at CES 2007
· LG ELECTRONICS SHOWCASES LATEST WIRELESS INDUSTRY INNOVATIONS AT CES 2007
Product Lineup Reflects LG's Cutting-Edge Feature Development, Sleek Designs and Aggressive Marketing Initiatives
· LG ELECTRONICS UNVEILS NINE LCD 1080P FULL HDTVS, INTEGRATES PREMIUM STYLING AND ADVANCED FEATURESCompany Introduces 2007 Line, Delivers Enhanced Picture Quality, Increased Integration, Innovative Design at 2007 CES
· LG ELECTRONICS EXPANDS 1080P PLASMA HDTV LINE-UP,REPOSITIONS 71-INCH FULL HD PLASMAFlagship Display Leads Wide Array of Plasma HDTVs with Enhanced Performance, Functionality and Premium Features
· LG ELECTRONICS CAPTURES 11 CES 2007 ‘INNOVATIONS' AWARDSAwards Spotlight Expansive Innovation Across Product Lines
· LG ELECTRONICS UNVEILS ITS EARLY 2007 U.S. LCD MONITOR LINEAll Five Models ‘Certified for Windows Vista' and Incorporate Microsoft's Industrial Design Toolkit · LG ELECTRONICS ENTERS U.S. MARKET WITH HANDHELD PORTABLE NAVIGATION SYSTEMSFour New Models Offer, Convenience, Flexibility, Pin-Point Accuracy · LG ELECTRONICS NAMES NEW CEO
· NEW MANAGEMENT SETS LG ELECTRONICS ON NEW PATH FOR 2007 Company Will Accelerate its Efforts to Become Global Top Three Player Through Constant Value Creation for Shareholders, Customers and Employees
So there we have it. A Blu-Ray HD-DVD player to solve our problem with deciding what format will win the war. A steep $1,199 price tag may deter some buyers, however, it does beat buying two drives, one for each format. Discuss this article in our forums ...