World of Warcraft made $1 Billion revenue last year

$1 BILLION DOLLARS!

World of Warcraft made $1 Billion revenue last year   

World of Warcraft's $1 Billion in revenue

When we talk about MMO's we usually say it is a dying breed, since World of Warcraft peak in 2010 the subscription base has droped to around 2/3 of its peak size. Now there are around 23.4 million subscribers.

According to research from SuperData, there is a lot, and I mean a lot of money to be made from MMOs. World of Warcraft still occupies the top position with over $1 Billion in revenue and a market share of 36%, with the total market being worth $2,882 Million.

Here is a summary of SuperData's findings below;

World of Warcraft made $1 Billion revenue last year   

Where does that money go?

We can see here that each of these companies have a lot of money generating from every one of the games here, which should make you wonder, where does this money go? Of-course there are direct service costs, servers and the general infrastructure required to keep the game running, constantly updating the game to add additional quest content, updated visuals and additional gameplay features.

This can take an immense amount of money, but looking at the stats here, and the fact that these MMOs are still online show that is is definitely profitable, if not absurdly profitable.

  World of Warcraft made $1 Billion revenue last year   World of Warcraft made $1 Billion revenue last year   

 

Is it my time to start an MMO?

If you think you will enjoy this type of game, go for it, there is a whole new world out there to explore, but I would recommend trying one of the newer MMOs, one with more new players.

World of Warcraft has been out since November 2004, almost 10 years ago, and despite it's 4 expansions worth of content (with one more coming soon, see trailer below) and last years visual advancements (shown above) I can't help but think that a newer MMO might be more suited. Then again with this much content available, you cannot deny the potential enjoyment to be had from WoW, you will just have to deal with a bit of a learning curve and likely playing with much more advanced players.

 

Undeniably WoW is still loved by its fanbase and still has many more years left in it, but I wonder how the world of MMOs will look in another few years and if WoW will ever be dethroned as king of the hill?

 

Join the discussion about World of Warcraft's $1 Billion of revenue last year on the OC3D forums.

«Prev 1 Next»

Most Recent Comments

22-07-2014, 10:28:38

Xrqute
Despite the continually decreasing subscription base for WOW. At its peak in 2010 the was a subscription base of approx 30.6 Million subscribers, Wow has managed to hold onto more then 2/3 of their peak subscription base coming in with an approx 23.4 Million subscribers which still provides WOW with a very healthy 36% of the MMO market.

It just so happens that 36% of the MMO market also happens to be worth approx $1,041,000,000 USD.

http://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/news/..._year_full.png

As Shown above NCsoft have snapped up a decent %16 of the market, spread over 4 titles.

#2- Lineage 1 comes in at second place with $253 million for NCsoft and a 9% share

#3- TERA: Online generated $236 million for NHN Corporation in third spot with an 8% share.

#4- Star Wars: The Old Republic sits in fourth place with $165 million made for EA with 6% of the subscription-based MMO market share,

#5-Lord of the Rings Online made $104 million for Turbine, Inc. and secured them 4%.

WoW officially lunched on November 23, 2004 so is currently only a few months short of being able to claim that amazing mile stone of a full decade of being on top.

Despite being a very well aged game it is still extremely addictive and still buzzing with life and most importantly to Blizzard/Activation its still turning over very large amounts of money.

I personally can't see it surviving as the powerhouse of the MMO genre for much longer, the next expansion seems to me like a reason to flog a dead horse. But as with everything, All shall be revealed in time.

Source: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/39195/..._campaign=ttcs


What's everyone's thoughts and feeling towards this Article, WoW or other MMO's in general?Quote

22-07-2014, 12:59:28

WYP
Nice find, decided to make this front page!

I didn't know WoW still had so much life in it, or that there is still a new expansion coming for it! Almost 10 years after launch.

Front Page article on World of Warcraft's $1 Billion Revenue is hereQuote

22-07-2014, 13:27:07

Permafrost
i hate WoW, I have a friend who plays it way to much and has a bad case of gaming compulsion, he fights with his family and has lost two girlfriends over it Quote

22-07-2014, 13:54:17

WYP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Permafrost View Post
i hate WoW, I have a friend who plays it way to much and has a bad case of gaming compulsion, he fights with his family and has lost two girlfriends over it
That sucks man, addiction is a hard thing to get over. I hope he can eventually get over it.Quote

22-07-2014, 14:29:27

Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
Nice find, decided to make this front page!

I didn't know WoW still had so much life in it, or that there is still a new expansion coming for it! Almost 10 years after launch.
There are quite a few expansions planned even after the next one due this winter including graphical overhauls etc... Quote

22-07-2014, 14:48:17

Xrqute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Permafrost View Post
i hate WoW, I have a friend who plays it way to much and has a bad case of gaming compulsion, he fights with his family and has lost two girlfriends over it
I played for a long time..... a very long time. now its so mind numbingly boring.

but I'm talking 8/10 years sorta thing. i started at launch, i had all the fights and sacrificed stuff in real life for the game. but in the end i have nothing to show for those thousands of hours.....

i rather go try and squeeze a few Mhz out of something lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
There are quite a few expansions planned even after the next one due this winter including graphical overhauls etc...
There has ALWAYS been talk of the Emerald Dream xpac, So i dare say that they'd at least pump that out.

And realistically to keep people interested they're going to have these xpacs coming out at min once a year if not twice. People just burn through the content way to quickly.Quote

22-07-2014, 15:16:00

Permafrost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrqute View Post
I played for a long time..... a very long time. now its so mind numbingly boring.

but I'm talking 8/10 years sorta thing. i started at launch, i had all the fights and sacrificed stuff in real life for the game. but in the end i have nothing to show for those thousands of hours.....

i rather go try and squeeze a few Mhz out of something lol.
what made you stop?, he's been playing almost the same amount of time, i've tried everything i can think of, the only time we hang out is at anime advents or he need's his pc updatedQuote

22-07-2014, 15:37:51

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Permafrost View Post
what made you stop?, he's been playing almost the same amount of time, i've tried everything i can think of, the only time we hang out is at anime advents or he need's his pc updated
Put an extra stand-off under his motherboard when you have the chance. It will solve all of his problems Quote

23-07-2014, 02:45:37

NeverBackDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Put an extra stand-off under his motherboard when you have the chance. It will solve all of his problems
It'll "short" his problems of addiction lolQuote

23-07-2014, 04:15:01

Greenback
I think the problem with WOW is they dumbed it down so much to encourage new players that it has got boring for those of us that have played since vanilla.
Supposedly they are going to change some of that in WOD, but I'm not holding my breath.
As for it not holding the crown for much longer, unless Wod turns out to be another MOP and they lose another 3 million subscribers then I think it's safe imoQuote

23-07-2014, 04:40:04

Edge
Would be interesting to see this graph including 'free-to-play' games with various different pay models and see what power they have over the market.Quote

23-07-2014, 04:40:13

alcoholocaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
I think the problem with WOW is they dumbed it down so much to encourage new players that it has got boring for those of us that have played since vanilla.
Supposedly they are going to change some of that in WOD, but I'm not holding my breath.
As for it not holding the crown for much longer, unless Wod turns out to be another MOP and they lose another 3 million subscribers then I think it's safe imo
Good call in not holding your breath, they're dumbing it down further by "pruning" abilities. I've played on and off for pretty much the whole lifespan of WoW and I can honestly say the game has never felt so uninspiring or uninteresting for me, although, being on an increasingly dead server probably didn't help.

I believe the sub numbers are misleading, given the amount of people who abuse "Recruit a Friend" several times and multibox. Personally I think the game is finished.Quote

23-07-2014, 05:12:12

Greenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoholocaust View Post
Good call in not holding your breath, they're dumbing it down further by "pruning" abilities. I've played on and off for pretty much the whole lifespan of WoW and I can honestly say the game has never felt so uninspiring or uninteresting for me, although, being on an increasingly dead server probably didn't help.

I believe the sub numbers are misleading, given the amount of people who abuse "Recruit a Friend" several times and multibox. Personally I think the game is finished.
Some of those abilities are going to be passive others are something another class brings to a raid or you already have a similar ability.

My biggest concern atm is that WOD's main city hubs are going to be in the pvp area which considering some server have a 75%-25% split that the NPC's could spend the bulk of the time dead and you will not be able to do anything there, blizz idea to get people PVPingQuote

23-07-2014, 06:20:47

alcoholocaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
Some of those abilities are going to be passive others are something another class brings to a raid or you already have a similar ability.

My biggest concern atm is that WOD's main city hubs are going to be in the pvp area which considering some server have a 75%-25% split that the NPC's could spend the bulk of the time dead and you will not be able to do anything there, blizz idea to get people PVPing
I'll be honest, I've not looked too in-depth at the ability changes, I laughed and lost attention on seeing the Hunter changes. (Removed Scatter Shot, removed Silencing Shot, removed all pet CC abilities. Free kill anyone?)

As for A/H ratio, Darkspear (my realm) has atrocious A/H balance in favour of Alliance, then Blizzard merge it with Terokkar, that also has more Alliance than Horde. /FacedeskQuote

23-07-2014, 06:49:31

Greenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoholocaust View Post
I'll be honest, I've not looked too in-depth at the ability changes, I laughed and lost attention on seeing the Hunter changes. (Removed Scatter Shot, removed Silencing Shot, removed all pet CC abilities. Free kill anyone?)
Yeah that seems to be the prevailing theme to remove CC as pvpers are moaning there is to much of it, they removed warlocks ability to move and cast but added a fire mage crit buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoholocaust View Post
As for A/H ratio, Darkspear (my realm) has atrocious A/H balance in favour of Alliance, then Blizzard merge it with Terokkar, that also has more Alliance than Horde. /Facedesk
heard a few stories of this happening good old BlizzQuote
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.