Samsung Phone fire in Childs bed

Samsung Phone fire in Childs bed

Samsung Phone fire in Childs bed  

Samsung Phone catches fire in a child bed!

When was the last time any of you have looked at the little user guide that comes with most of your electronics? Do you even look at the warnings that come with your electronic goods, in particular mobile hardware like phones or tablets?

Like many of the youth of today Ariel Tolfree, a 13 year old American Girl, loves to use her phone. One night she went to bed and slept, unknowingly leaving her phone under her pillow. She awoke at the smell of smoke only to fall asleep again. Later as the smell became all too noticeable, she awoke to find not just that her mobile phone had melted from the inside out, but that it was burning through her bed covers pillow and mattress.

Below is a picture of what was her Samsung Galaxy S4, which now looks like something you would recover from a house-fire.

 

Samsung Phone fire in Childs bed  

Thankfully Ariel wasn't hurt during the night, but this easily could have been a much more tragic story. 

In response Samsung said that there is a warning in their user guide which specifically states covering one of their devices with bedding or other material could restrict airflow and cause a fire. Samsung also pointed out that the battery inside the phone was not an original part, or even made by Samsung.

It is unknown if the battery had any affect on the fire starting, as this exact scenario is warned against on any phone, never-mind one with replacement hardware.

The Girls Father, Thomas Tolfree has this to say in response to Samsung;

 

"If anything, they should put a big warning on it, like a cigarette label, if that’s the case,"

 

When Samsung were told of this event, they purchased new bedding, mattress and pillow for the family and also replaced the girls, now destroyed, phone. Samsung also requested that the phone be sent to them for examination, to deduce the exact cause of the fire.

 Ariel has now learnt of the dangers of sleeping with her phone, now leaving it on her bedside table at night.

 

What can we learn from all this?

As consumers we can learn a lot from all this, firstly to look into our user manuals when we purchase a new device, particularly when it comes to warnings or potential dangers. We also need to take care and teach our children these dangers as well.

Secondly we need to consider the safely of not stock components, particularly when it comes to batteries and power supply units. The example I will use is buying a cheap no brand PSU for your PC, where you can fry perfectly good hardware or worse start a full on electrical fire. When replacing parts on phones, or even your charger, it is always best done by a manufacturer or an associated retailer. 

Remember to carefully learn any warnings that come with any of your devices, because ignoring them could have very nasty consequences.

Continue the discussion of the Samsung Phone Fire on the OC3D Forums

«Prev 1 Next»

Most Recent Comments

Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.