Online piracy punishments dropped in UK

New Page

Online piracy punishments dropped in UK  

UK pirates to receive warning rather than punishments with new scheme

The new voluntary copyright alert programme (Vcap) will see up to four warnings annually if their broadband connection is known to be unlawfully sharing files. What happens if you ignore these warnings you may ask? Nothing, no sanctions will be used against those who ignore them.

These letters will be written in an informative way, rather than in an accusatory fashion. This is to offer advice on where to find legitimate sources of content as an alternative to piracy 

This will be part of a new sheme from Creative Content UK, jointly created by content owners/ creators and internet service providers (ISPs) with the aim of promoting legal entertainment online. It will be supported by a joint creative industry and government three-year education campaign set to launch before spring 2015.

 Online piracy punishments dropped in UK

(Game of thrones a popular TV series among Online Pirates)

 

UK Business Secretary Vince Cable said this week:

"The creative industries in the UK are one of our brilliant global success stories. We have unrivalled creativity - from record breaking musicians to box office films - that excite and inspire people all over the world. Yet too often that content is open to abuse by some who don't play by the rules.

That is why we are working with industry to ensure that intellectual property rights are understood and respected. Education is at the heart of this drive so people understand that piracy isn't a victimless crime - but actually causes business to fail, harms the industry and costs jobs."

 

  Many alternatives to this scheme were also considered, including internet being cut off for persistent pirates, as outlined in the Digital Economy Act of 2010. This policy was not taken into affect due to severe technical limitations, so a simpler education approach will be enacted.

What do you guys think of this bold approach of not punishing pirates? Do you think a harsher approach is required or that this is the right way to go about this problem?

Join the discussion on Online piracy punishments being dropped in UK on the OC3D Forums.  

  

«Prev 1 Next»

Most Recent Comments

23-07-2014, 06:20:27

WYP
It looks like now in a new UK scheme, people caught unlawfully file-sharing video games, music and movies will be educated rather than punished. A very bold move.

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...055541992l.png

Read more on the UK's new online Piracy measures hereQuote

23-07-2014, 06:41:54

Damien c
There is not much that can be done really to stop people from pirating software or something with entertainment value.

I know it's wrong and so does everyone else, but it still doesn't stop people from doing it, even with the threats of fines or a stint in prison it still didn't stop people.

I don't buy albums anymore since most of the times you can find them on services such as, Spotify and if they don't have the type of music you want then there is always DI.FM.

With phones and cars having bluetooth, cars have audio input jack's and usb ports you can always stream the music from places, where they pay for a subscription.

I paid in November last year £35 for a years subscription to DI.FM, and I have not bought a single album for the last year thanks to Spotify and DI.FM.

If I was to buy the albums that I can stream it would cost in the region of £300-£1000, but I can pay for a £35 subscription for one service and what ever Spotify is, since I get that free at the moment and save myself a small fortune.

Film's are the same why should I buy a blu-ray or dvd when I can use services such as netflix, yes films get pirated when the films are at the cinemas but that would be easy to stop, but they just won't do it.

As for other stuff being pirated, there are ways to try and stop it but they will never fully stop it people, will always find a way.Quote

23-07-2014, 07:05:51

Greenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien c View Post
Film's are the same why should I buy a blu-ray or dvd when I can use services such as netflix, yes films get pirated when the films are at the cinemas but that would be easy to stop, but they just won't do it.

As for other stuff being pirated, there are ways to try and stop it but they will never fully stop it people, will always find a way.
They did try stopping films being pirated but it was just got around, though you don't see so many good quality films that aren't taken after the film is released on dvd now

As for games SimCity wasn't pirated while they had it online only, and maybe that is the only way you could stop games being pirated. but look at the outcry because of it being online only.

I like the " cut off for persistent pirates, This policy was not taken into affect due to severe technical limitations" companies would lose money in other words. Though just walking around with my phones Wi-Fi shows a lot of open connections so a laptop is all you would need tbhQuote

23-07-2014, 07:52:22

Damien c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
They did try stopping films being pirated but it was just got around, though you don't see so many good quality films that aren't taken after the film is released on dvd now

As for games SimCity wasn't pirated while they had it online only, and maybe that is the only way you could stop games being pirated. but look at the outcry because of it being online only.

I like the " cut off for persistent pirates, This policy was not taken into affect due to severe technical limitations" companies would lose money in other words. Though just walking around with my phones Wi-Fi shows a lot of open connections so a laptop is all you would need tbh

The easiest way to stop films from being recorded at cinemas is simply a search of each person going in, and phones not being allowed to be taken in but they will never be able to do that I would think.

The games where they are online only may be one way but that just means people with internet that is only mobile based, could be in abit of trouble but yes the outcry against it would be imense.

The cut of someones connection though will be a issue not, because of the money that they could loose but actually proving that the person who pays for the connection was the one who was pirating the content.

If someone has a poor wireless password and someone was parked outside the house, or the neighbour was able to crack the password then they could download and the person paying for the connection may never have known, it was going on till someone turned up or a letter turned up.

The other thing is that someone could download on a machine and then take that, machine to somewhere else and the people doing the investigation may never no.Quote

23-07-2014, 08:02:44

Greenback
Some of the Wi-Fi connections around me don't even have passwords and it seems to be a particular companies installation's, so I don't know if they are installed that way and people don't know not everybody is tech savvyQuote

23-07-2014, 08:35:12

ShaunB-91
I think the majority know the options there are, trouble is some are to expensive!

The only thing I download is WWE because after a year of paying £100 a month on a Sky package just to watch that is stupid. If they just let me have sports without all the other garbage they'd be having some money from me as opposed to none.Quote

23-07-2014, 08:40:28

MadShadow
I really think there should be more serious punishments for piracy. Its basically theft and all people get is some education. Its just too easy to pirate stuff these days. People even pirate minecraft when they could easily spend like 20 pounds and have it legit.Quote

23-07-2014, 08:56:14

Wraith
This is al I can think of when someone says anti-piracy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzgQuote

23-07-2014, 09:03:48

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
This is al I can think of when someone says anti-piracy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg
Wow, Ive never seen the full version of that. Though you should get someone at you door for piracy! Quote

23-07-2014, 09:14:08

Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Wow, Ive never seen the full version of that. Though you should get someone at you door for piracy!
A young lass in the block across from me had her door knocked in by the rozzers in the early hours for piracy, the amount of copy towers, printers, laminators and cake tins of blank disks they removed was mind blowing.. she eventually received a 6 month suspended sentence and a £120,000 fine.Quote

23-07-2014, 09:21:10

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
A young lass in the block across from me had her door knocked in by the rozzers in the early hours for piracy, the amount of copy towers, printers, laminators and cake tins of blank disks they removed was mind blowing.. she eventually received a 6 month suspended sentence and a £120,000 fine.
Good to hear, but I guess thats not going to happen any more with these new laws.Quote

23-07-2014, 09:29:14

Wraith
Not to sure on that, I think real prolific pirates will still feel the long arm of the law. Downloading to watch and downloading to mass produce and profit from are 2 very different things.Quote

23-07-2014, 09:48:24

Greenback
I have downloaded games more inline to try b4 you buy as games now are to expensive to buy then find they aren't what you thought and game developers don't do many demo's these daysQuote

23-07-2014, 10:03:11

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
I have downloaded games more inline to try b4 you buy as games now are to expensive to buy then find they aren't what you thought and game developers don't do many demo's these days
Would you steal a car, only to return it? No you wouldnt. I dont think its right to "try" games, especially if you dont buy them after.Quote

23-07-2014, 10:04:50

barnsley
I don't pirate anything really. Never needed to. I'm too lazy.


Video related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBH4g_ua5esQuote

23-07-2014, 10:36:34

SuB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Would you steal a car, only to return it? No you wouldnt. I dont think its right to "try" games, especially if you dont buy them after.
No but if you buy a car you can sell it on.

If you buy a pc game and play it, you're stuck with it these days. literally no-where gives refunds after x period of time, (while I know EA give some, it's not enough)

Also a game isn't a physical thing, it's digital copy of another digital copy, not a physical item in the traditional sense. (yes i'm fully aware of the attached that comes with saying that, I write software so don't start)Quote

23-07-2014, 10:39:06

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
No but if you buy a car you can sell it on.

If you buy a pc game and play it, you're stuck with it these days. literally no-where gives refunds after x period of time, (while I know EA give some, it's not enough)

Also a game isn't a physical thing, it's digital copy of another digital copy, not a physical item in the traditional sense. (yes i'm fully aware of the attached that comes with saying that, I write software so don't start)
Why should it matter if its physical or digital? Both items take money and time to create.Quote

23-07-2014, 10:55:55

Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
I have downloaded games more inline to try b4 you buy as games now are to expensive to buy then find they aren't what you thought and game developers don't do many demo's these days
Just no, even if a developer does not provide a demo there are always reviews and youtube play throughs. Simply no excuse any more for Piracy.Quote

23-07-2014, 10:56:56

Greenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Would you steal a car, only to return it? No you wouldnt. I dont think its right to "try" games, especially if you dont buy them after.
Before you buy a car you can take it for a test drive (demo).
EU 4 had a demo I tried it enjoyed it got the game and dlc so maybe developers should do like they did in the past and release demo's

P.S If I stole a car and then returned it the owner would probably be happier than if I burnt it out just a thoughtQuote

23-07-2014, 10:59:16

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
P.S If I stole a car and then returned it the owner would probably be happier than if I burnt it out just a thought
/doneQuote

23-07-2014, 11:01:01

Greenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
Just no, even if a developer does not provide a demo there are always reviews and youtube play throughs. Simply no excuse any more for Piracy.
reviews are some1 else's opinion of the game if their tastes don't match mine then their opinion is flawed, I have bought games after watching a play through and been disappointedQuote

23-07-2014, 11:07:34

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
reviews are some1 else's opinion of the game if their tastes don't match mine then their opinion is flawed, I have bought games after watching a play through and been disappointed
Dude the only reason why people pirate games is because of how easy it is. You wouldnt steal, i dont know, a blender (for example). There are no demos for that, are there? Yet you still wouldnt steal one. It should be the same for games and other software. Piracy is theft, face it.Quote

23-07-2014, 11:20:18

Greenback
If I buy a blender and it doesn't live up to expectations I can return it to the shop for a full refund within normally 30 day.
If I buy a game and it doesn't live up to the hype expectation well try returning that nope
Testing a game to see if it's as good as the hype or it looks is saving me money and not putting money into developers pockets for substandard gamesQuote

23-07-2014, 11:23:42

SuB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
/done
/waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Dude the only reason why people pirate games is because of how easy it is. You wouldnt steal, i dont know, a blender (for example). There are no demos for that, are there? Yet you still wouldnt steal one. It should be the same for games and other software. Piracy is theft, face it.
I thought you were done?



The thing is, again, if the ing Blender doesn't work you can RETURN IT, get a full refund or replacement.

You cannot do that with PC games, once bought, you're buggered.

The games industry literally could less of a about gamers post-sale these days, once you've bought it, they could not give a what your experience is. They have your money, bye bye.

Games don't have demo's now they have Beta's which you often have to PAY extra to enter into, and often are huge misrepresentations of what the game will really be.

Look at Aliens Colonial Marines? what a massive PR scam that was, most of the they showed as being IN THE GAME, never appeared it was all bull. For this exact reason the review embargo was the release day of the title!!Quote

23-07-2014, 11:25:02

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
If I buy a blender and it doesn't live up to expectations I can return it to the shop for a full refund within normally 30 day.
If I buy a game and it doesn't live up to the hype expectation well try returning that nope
Testing a game to see if it's as good as the hype or it looks is saving me money and not putting money into developers pockets for substandard games
You could buy a physical copy. Its your choice that you choose not to do so. With a physical copy you usually get a return period up to 30 days.Quote

23-07-2014, 11:27:10

SuB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
You could buy a physical copy. Its your choice that you choose not to do so. With a physical copy you usually get a return period up to 30 days.
No, you don't. They have CDKeys and once you break the seal on the case (the plastic wrapping) you can't take them back. End of discussion as far as the shops are concerned.Quote

23-07-2014, 11:34:52

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
No, you don't. They have CDKeys and once you break the seal on the case (the plastic wrapping) you can't take them back. End of discussion as far as the shops are concerned.
Well as far as that goes it depends on the shop, because Ive had experiences where I was allowed to return the game. Anyway, I still think that game piracy is wrong because you know what the risk is. Its not like there are any surprises. A game might be bad, but there are videos and reviews on them. Just because you do not have access to demos/refunds/etc. does not mean that you should have the right to pirate a game. If you dont take the time to look at reviews/gameplay, or pay money, then you should not be allowed to experience a game that took a lot of effort to create.Quote

23-07-2014, 12:30:14

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Well as far as that goes it depends on the shop, because Ive had experiences where I was allowed to return the game. Anyway, I still think that game piracy is wrong because you know what the risk is. Its not like there are any surprises. A game might be bad, but there are videos and reviews on them. Just because you do not have access to demos/refunds/etc. does not mean that you should have the right to pirate a game. If you dont take the time to look at reviews/gameplay, or pay money, then you should not be allowed to experience a game that took a lot of effort to create.
I agree with this when it come to small developers however ubisoft and other triple A companies...
I looked at reviews/gameplay alot before I buy a game. I still get screwed over often. Don't tell me otherwise. Its the same for most people I know as well. GTA V is an example of that.

Nothing beats experiencing the game. The last game I had a demo of I actually bought because I tried it. Kerbal Space Program does it right. The demo is an older version of the full game without alot of the content. My feelings on the matter is more demos= less Piracy.Quote

23-07-2014, 12:37:25

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
I agree with this when it come to small developers however ubisoft and other triple A companies...
I looked at reviews/gameplay alot before I buy a game. I still get screwed over often. Don't tell me otherwise. Its the same for most people I know as well. GTA V is an example of that.

Nothing beats experiencing the game. The last game I had a demo of I actually bought because I tried it. Kerbal Space Program does it right. The demo is an older version of the full game without alot of the content. My feelings on the matter is more demos= less Piracy.
Well I guess its really impossible to change peoples minds about piracy. I still think its wrong, but to each their own I suppose. If I think a game is not going to be good, or it is a risk, I just wont buy it, simple. Anyway, I understand that people want the game, and they dont want to risk their money. Eventually we will have better laws and people will have no choice, because pirating wont be an option.Quote

23-07-2014, 12:40:56

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Eventually we will have better laws and people will have no choice, because pirating wont be an option.
Lol better laws. Pirating will always happen. The governments are always a few decades behind. Don't get me started on anti-piracy lobbies either.Quote

23-07-2014, 12:41:38

iBeInspire
It's as easy to download a game from Steam as it is to pirate one.
It's EASIER to pirate music than it is to buy it.
It's as easy to pirate a tv show/movie as it is to by it.

Until people will rather wait for a game to go on 75% off on Steam because it's less hassle than pirating, this will always be a thing.

Also, psychology dictates that if you buy a game and don't like it, you have a negative response, blaming yourself that it was a poor purchase. If you pirate a game and you don't like it, you actually have a positive response, because you're grateful you didn't spend the money, which will ultimately make you even more fearful of spending money in the first place.

It's a tricky beast and to be honest I think all the ISPs should make a bigger push to lock down torrenting websites, since it's one of the things that actually does work against piracy.Quote

23-07-2014, 12:47:49

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Lol better laws. Pirating will always happen. The governments are always a few decades behind. Don't get me started on anti-piracy lobbies either.
Sure they are always behind and now they're not doing , but if ISPs take proper action and shut peoples internet down, and piracy is taken seriously as a crime, things can change. Not that piracy will stop any time soon, but I think eventually it will.Quote

23-07-2014, 12:48:39

RamboOC
The main reason i sometmes pirate games/software is because it has been leaked and it is available to download before the official version comes out, for example watch dogs

Its so easy to pirate games
Usually it will be a rip of original dvd or steam rip on .iso file, you install it just like a normal game, and copy the attached crack to where the game was installedQuote

23-07-2014, 12:50:12

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
The main reason i sometmes pirate games/software is because it has been leaked and it is available to download before the official version comes out, for example watch dogs

Its so easy to pirate games
Usually it will be a rip of original dvd or steam rip on .iso file, you install it just like a normal game, and copy the attached crack to where the game was installed
Okay so you pirate games because you can get them earlier. But do you buy them when released?Quote

23-07-2014, 12:53:29

RamboOC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Okay so you pirate games because you can get them earlier. But do you buy them when released?
If I enjoyed playing it then yes

also i probably pirated like £20,000 overall of software/games and i never got into legal trouble because of itQuote

23-07-2014, 12:56:04

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
If I enjoyed playing it then yes

also i probably pirated like £20,000 overall of software/games and i never got into legal trouble because of it
This is the problem with piracy laws/enforcement. Its madness...Quote

23-07-2014, 12:56:54

RickPlaysWarr
Piracy is a reality, however the outcome is the thing that matters. If there is no money for development as only a few people buy, the less quality games/software/music/art or whatever creative enterprise you name will be created.

I have been writing code for 30 years and my personal belief is that people should be rewarded for their hard work, not stolen from. There is almost always a way to make a judgement call on a piece of software, and yet if you still get it wrong, so be it. Keep track of the titles/authors/publishers that don't meet your needs, and don't reward them with your money.

--Rick--Quote

23-07-2014, 13:00:03

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPlaysWarr View Post
Piracy is a reality, however the outcome is the thing that matters. If there is no money for development as only a few people buy, the less quality games/software/music/art or whatever creative enterprise you name will be created.

I have been writing code for 30 years and my personal belief is that people should be rewarded for their hard work, not stolen from. There is almost always a way to make a judgement call on a piece of software, and yet if you still get it wrong, so be it. Keep track of the titles/authors/publishers that don't meet your needs, and don't reward them with your money.

--Rick--
Exactly. Quote

23-07-2014, 13:02:11

Permafrost
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB-91 View Post
I think the majority know the options there are, trouble is some are to expensive!

The only thing I download is WWE because after a year of paying £100 a month on a Sky package just to watch that is stupid. If they just let me have sports without all the other garbage they'd be having some money from me as opposed to none.
the reason why you have to pay for WWE is because rupert murdoch has a contract with the WWE in the UK and he has no intention of letting go of it, before that happened you could watch it on channel 4 for free even the ALL PPV's! Since the F1 went to SKY viewings of the sport have drop meaning the sponsors don't get as much for advertising so some are starting to pull out, in turn kills the sport i love over money...

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/4783...vailable-in-uk

or if you can't wait..

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...3-ps4-or-ipad/Quote

23-07-2014, 13:05:11

Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Permafrost View Post
the reason why you have to pay for WWE is because rupert murdoch has a contract with the WWE in the UK and he has no intention of letting go of it, before that happened you could watch it on channel 4 for free even the ALL PPV's! Since the F1 went to SKY viewings of the sport have drop meaning the sponsors don't get as much for advertising so some are starting to pull out, in turn kills the sport i love over money...

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/4783...vailable-in-uk

or if you can't wait..

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...3-ps4-or-ipad/
Don't even get me started on F1 and Rupert Murderer! My beloved sport is being slowly torn apart because of that bellend!Quote

23-07-2014, 13:10:54

Permafrost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
Don't even get me started on F1 and Rupert Murderer! My beloved sport is being slowly torn apart because of that bellend!
i'm sorry, i understand mate

our sport is being bleed dry by that greedy c**t.Quote

23-07-2014, 13:47:46

nepas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Okay so you pirate games because you can get them earlier. But do you buy them when released?
I have done that myslef for a few games,when they dont have global release dates,that way as soon as it released in the UK,I just use my legit key and away I go
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeInspire View Post
It's a tricky beast and to be honest I think all the ISPs should make a bigger push to lock down torrenting websites, since it's one of the things that actually does work against piracy.
That is a load of rubbish tbh,infact since ISP's started blocking access to torrent sites,The Pirate Bay has done even bettter.

https://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-...ckades-140717/Quote

23-07-2014, 14:16:24

Greenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
If I enjoyed playing it then yes

also i probably pirated like £20,000 overall of software/games and i never got into legal trouble because of it
This is the bit I don't agree with even on software if you like it and it meets your needs then give the developer their money

If it lifts my halo slightly off the floor I have never pirated any franchise I have liked the originals of e.g. Assassins creed, Civilization and Tropico simply because I have enjoyed everything so have a good idea that I like it, I'm counting down the months for the new civ that will be pre-ordered on steamQuote

23-07-2014, 16:30:29

Zoot
I'll admit I used to pirate quite a lot of PC games.

Nowadays though, I've completely stopped. Mainly because of Steam, since it provides oodles of good games at ridiculously low prices (particularly in sales), makes them very easy to buy, stays totally out of the way given its really DRM, but above all provides a much superior product than the pirated version given it keeps all the games up to date for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepas View Post
That is a load of rubbish tbh,infact since ISP's started blocking access to torrent sites,The Pirate Bay has done even bettter.

https://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-...ckades-140717/
Funny the way it works. The industry can't seem to stop suffering from the streisand effect.

Most of the ISPs here in Ireland, including my own (UPC) have it blocked. But really it's just of connecting to a Pirate Bay proxy site to get around it, and there's a huge amount of those. The whole website blocking thing is just so pointless.Quote

23-07-2014, 20:08:00

RamboOC
I stole the idea for my avatar from TTL. Is that a copyright infringement? Quote

23-07-2014, 20:16:27

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
I stole the idea for my avatar from TTL. Is that a copyright infringement?
I was thinking TTL would change his avatar to the red logo, once the new forum is here (that's a thing right?). You might have the same avatar I think we have a case of mutiny here Quote

23-07-2014, 22:01:50

Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
I stole the idea for my avatar from TTL. Is that a copyright infringement?
Nope but it'll probably end up in a whoopin' Quote

24-07-2014, 03:07:48

ShaunB-91
I think this point fits in here in regards to movies (not that I pirate movies) but we buy a DVD, awesome but then Blu-ray comes out, awesome but then we have to buy the movie again and soon 4K Blu-rays should take off, oh look we have to buy it again! How many times am I going to have to pay for LOTR. That is a reason for piracy I think..Quote

24-07-2014, 03:19:23

SuB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB-91 View Post
I think this point fits in here in regards to movies (not that I pirate movies) but we buy a DVD, awesome but then Blu-ray comes out, awesome but then we have to buy the movie again and soon 4K Blu-rays should take off, oh look we have to buy it again! How many times am I going to have to pay for LOTR. That is a reason for piracy I think..
I'm fairly sure unless quad layer blurays get a lot cheaper, there may end up being another format war for a 4K movie medium, remember, it's 4 x the amount of data as 1080p... ain't gon' fit on a 25GB disc Quote

24-07-2014, 03:22:08

ShaunB-91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
I'm fairly sure unless quad layer blurays get a lot cheaper, there may end up being another format war for a 4K movie medium, remember, it's 4 x the amount of data as 1080p... ain't gon' fit on a 25GB disc
I didn't know that. So how will we get 4K movies? If they are done over say Netflix, I take it broadband couldn't handle it..what about fiber?Quote

24-07-2014, 05:07:28

SuB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB-91 View Post
I didn't know that. So how will we get 4K movies? If they are done over say Netflix, I take it broadband couldn't handle it..what about fiber?
Streaming services compress it, so it's more likely to fit down whatever internet you have, but you'll still need a fairly fast speed connection, and then of course there's the issue of what your monthly cap is.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to send fully uncompressed bluray quality (even 1080p) content via a stream just yet, or at least not via netflix.

That's why bluray's always look better than netflix/tv it's just compression.

4K is possible via internet, it'l just not look like 'proper' 4k until we get a format that can handle it fully uncompressed. I don't know what the throughput of optical formats is at absolute max, it might end up being a shift to a different medium altogether if they aren't fast enough, perhaps something flash based? who knows.Quote

24-07-2014, 05:33:41

ShaunB-91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Streaming services compress it, so it's more likely to fit down whatever internet you have, but you'll still need a fairly fast speed connection, and then of course there's the issue of what your monthly cap is.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to send fully uncompressed bluray quality (even 1080p) content via a stream just yet, or at least not via netflix.

That's why bluray's always look better than netflix/tv it's just compression.

4K is possible via internet, it'l just not look like 'proper' 4k until we get a format that can handle it fully uncompressed. I don't know what the throughput of optical formats is at absolute max, it might end up being a shift to a different medium altogether if they aren't fast enough, perhaps something flash based? who knows.
Ahh so thats why Netflix never looks like a 1080p Blu-ray. Is this why downloaded movies/programs don't look as good also or is that something else that the user does?

Example, WWE looks awesome on Sky in 1080 but when you download it, looks crap.Quote

24-07-2014, 06:16:48

Greenback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB-91 View Post
Ahh so thats why Netflix never looks like a 1080p Blu-ray. Is this why downloaded movies/programs don't look as good also or is that something else that the user does?

Example, WWE looks awesome on Sky in 1080 but when you download it, looks crap.
Most movies and TV shows are uploaded to the net as xvid avi's, so a 4GB movie can be compressed down to 700MB or a 2GB TV show is 375MB and during the conversion some of the quality is lostQuote

24-07-2014, 07:25:13

ShaunB-91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
Most movies and TV shows are uploaded to the net as xvid avi's, so a 4GB movie can be compressed down to 700MB or a 2GB TV show is 375MB and during the conversion some of the quality is lost
Hmm but Raw is a 2hour 45min watch but it's 6GB and still looks poo. Quote

24-07-2014, 07:28:51

RamboOC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB-91 View Post
Hmm but Raw is a 2hour 45min watch but it's 6GB and still looks poo.
tried vlc?Quote

24-07-2014, 07:35:05

ShaunB-91
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
tried vlc?
I'll give it a go but I'll leave the topic there as we don't want outsiders thinking OC3D has naughty piracy people. Quote

24-07-2014, 08:08:32

SuB
You need Media Player classic HC (aka MDPC-HC) google it, it's excellent, plays anything!

as for the quality of your 'downloads' totally depends on A) the source, how it's been encoded and C) how much you are willing to actually download.

You can get full quality 25GB blurays if you want Quote

24-07-2014, 08:11:57

RamboOC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
You need Media Player classic HC (aka MDPC-HC) google it, it's excellent, plays anything!

as for the quality of your 'downloads' totally depends on A) the source, how it's been encoded and C) how much you are willing to actually download.

You can get full quality 25GB blurays if you want
I find vlc better than mpc-hc because vlc has got its own equaliser, more video adjustments settings. way more advanced settings overall.

On fresh OS install i actually used it as photoshop lol!Quote

24-07-2014, 08:44:25

ShaunB-91
I've got MPC-HC on my rig and it looks absolutely terrible, the image is like a painting, colours don't blend with one another so I just use 'Video' in Windows 8 atm.

Never understood that because MPC-HC is okay on the laptop not that I've used it on there for a long time.Quote

24-07-2014, 10:34:52

SuB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
I find vlc better than mpc-hc because vlc has got its own equaliser, more video adjustments settings. way more advanced settings overall.

On fresh OS install i actually used it as photoshop lol!
Nah sorry but MPC-HC has the pre and post shaders and works better if you want low cpu utilisation with a semi-decent small-form-factor gpu.

It's widely known it's the htpc media player of choice these days.

Setup correctly it *far* surpasses VLC. audio/video offset options, proper subtitle options, better cpu utilisation (or more to the point, it doesn't use any), shaders.. pull-up or down of colour banding, including sharpening and granular stuff for putting the pop back into compressed HD footage. it's just epic compared to VLC.

If your content needs an equaliser, you need to download a better copy Quote
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.