ASUS Advanced Overclocking Championship Coverage

The Results

The results
 
As previously mentioned, all teams faced some significant problems throughout the contest, and some of the teams had to abandon the Crossfire setup, going for a single 4870 X2 benchmark. One of these was the Benchtec team, and they pulled a respectable 4.8Ghz clock, with a 3DMark06 score of around 28000 points. The dutch team pulled similar results with a single card too. Unfortunately, the world record wasn't going to be beaten on this event, but it wasn't through the teams efforts.The three winning teams had more luck and were able to run a bench with Crossfire, with the following scores and positions:
 
  • 1st Sweden - 31976
  • 2nd Poland - 31962
  • 3rd Spain - 31217
 
Considering the problems faced, I think these scores are very respectable and every team who competed should be applauded. When I asked Dave from the Benchtec team how he felt about the event and the problems faced, he said he was obviously disappointed, but the day was very worthwhile and enjoyable, a feeling echoed by all participants. We hope the teams enjoy more success on their next events. 
 
Discuss the event in our forums.
«Prev 1 2 3 4 Next»

Most Recent Comments

21-08-2008, 03:33:21

JN
"With 4870X2's, QX9770's and hefty amounts of LN2, ASUS attempt to break some records with the help of the worlds best overclockers." - Stuart "Hungover" Boardman reports from the scene!

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...180014675s.jpg

ASUS Advanced Overclocking ChampionshipQuote

21-08-2008, 03:53:06

Hassan
Aaaarrrrggghhh

It seems we never win @ anything.

Anyways not really complaining Quote

21-08-2008, 04:58:51

FarFarAway
Ah well, better luck next time, looks like good fun though Quote

21-08-2008, 05:15:36

!TIMMY!
1.9v Quote

21-08-2008, 07:21:54

Bondi007
Ive never been to any like events like computer related would be good lol, look alot of funfun Quote

21-08-2008, 10:08:17

PP Mguire
Lol i bet if kingpin or fugger where there they woulda busted the records with that much stuff just layin around Quote

21-08-2008, 13:45:43

yang88she
I'm a bit disapointed that many of these "professional" overclockers had so much trouble w/ CF...really concerns me as a consumer that if these guys were couldn't get CF to work, how would I (small time consumer/newbian) figure it outQuote

21-08-2008, 13:53:11

JN
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='yang88she'
I'm a bit disapointed that many of these "professional" overclockers had so much trouble w/ CF...really concerns me as a consumer that if these guys were couldn't get CF to work, how would I (small time consumer/newbian) figure it out
Personally I wouldn't be worried. You need to bear in mind that these guys had a really limited amount of time to prep their boards for subzero cooling, decide between two processors and generally get to grips with hardware they may have never used before.

Most of the guys managed to get it running without issue, just some were unlucky.Quote

21-08-2008, 13:55:59

TopSecret
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='yang88she'
I'm a bit disapointed that many of these "professional" overclockers had so much trouble w/ CF...really concerns me as a consumer that if these guys were couldn't get CF to work, how would I (small time consumer/newbian) figure it out
I think you must also realise that these guys were pushing their components to the absolute limits, Some teams were struggling with Crossfire, but what you must also remember is the fact that the three winning teams did manage to get results while utilising Crossfire.Quote

21-08-2008, 14:00:18

Bondi007
Indeed.Quote

21-08-2008, 14:20:08

-VK-
Firstly, I'd like to thank Stuart for coming along and being great company. Perhaps with practice you'll be able to keep up with me

Secondly, I'd also like to mention that this hardware is at the most extreme end of current hardware. Things have been discovered that was causing the issues with the overclocking and they have been rectified.

Yang, you mention that CF was not working - I'm sorry but I must correct you. Only 2 of the 9 teams were unable to get CF to work for one reason or another, the top 2 teams in fact were very successful in their scores.

Everyone at the event had fun, making it a success. It seems that the only people complaining and making sly remarks are the ones who were not in attendance...

-VK-

Edit: Note - I'm happy to make official comments on the event, please e-mail me with any enquiries.Quote

21-08-2008, 14:44:55

yang88she
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='-VK-'
Firstly, I'd like to thank Stuart for coming along and being great company. Perhaps with practice you'll be able to keep up with me

Secondly, I'd also like to mention that this hardware is at the most extreme end of current hardware. Things have been discovered that was causing the issues with the overclocking and they have been rectified.
That's good to hear, since there were some of the best of the best @ this event, it's nice to know that the issues have been resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='-VK-'
Yang, you mention that CF was not working - I'm sorry but I must correct you. Only 2 of the 9 teams were unable to get CF to work for one reason or another, the top 2 teams in fact were very successful in their scores.
I guess I miss read, thanks for clearing it up. I'm new to CF and got a little "antsy" after reading that the pros were having problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='-VK-'
Everyone at the event had fun, making it a success. It seems that the only people complaining and making sly remarks are the ones who were not in attendance...

-VK-

Edit: Note - I'm happy to make official comments on the event, please e-mail me with any enquiries.
I'm glad that there are such events that exist, it's great to see top of the line products put to the absolute limit from the prosQuote

21-08-2008, 15:19:56

TopSecret
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='-VK-'
Firstly, I'd like to thank Stuart for coming along and being great company. Perhaps with practice you'll be able to keep up with me
No worries mate, really enjoyed the trip, even on Tuesday when I was suffering the after effects of Monday night! Pity I let the side down though and got beat by a southern shandy drinkerQuote

22-08-2008, 17:15:22

GavX
looks like a good laugh, but daaamn thats alot of V going through the CPUs, I get nervous at 1.5 on my Q9450... (water, and 3.84, though not exactly table...) good workQuote

22-08-2008, 17:33:56

Hassan
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='GavX'
looks like a good laugh, but daaamn thats alot of V going through the CPUs, I get nervous at 1.5 on my Q9450... (water, and 3.84, though not exactly table...) good work
Yeah I understand what you mean, but then again they were all given the equipment needed free, so who cares. Quote

27-08-2008, 11:59:59

Xevi
lol



Spain

Sergio "Predator" San Joaquin

Xavier Paradera "Xevipio" Ferrando





Name correctly

Xavier Paradeda Farrando (Xevipiu)

God save the Queen!

Kisses Quote
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.