Rumors of an AMD 12 core CPU coming soon?

AMD 12-core?

AMD announce a 12 core CPU?  

Rumors of an AMD 12 core CPU?

 

The guys over at Planet3DNow have found, and leaked, a nice piece of AMD's PR material. The image is shown below, clearly showing 12 AMD Robots, an AMD marketing image for their CPU cores. This has led them to believe that a 12-core CPU is inbound.

Adding little bit of my own knowledge of AMD APU added to the mix, I can tell you with almost absolute certainty that this is NOT the case.

   

AMD announce a 12 core CPU?  

No 12-Core CPU coming?

How can I say this? Surely the picture is clear enough! Are you saying it is fake? NO, I believe this image to be legitimate.

Remember when AMD launched Kaveri, a 4-core AMD APU. AMD had marketed this APU as a 12 Compute unit APU and not as a quad core, stating both the 4 CPU cores and 8 GCN GPU core clusters as Compute Units.

Combine this with my recent article on AMD's Carizzo APU Specs, which stated 8 GCN GPU units and 4 Excavator CPU cores. This is 12 Compute units in total, consistent with the above PR image.

 

It has been an oversight on the part of these other sites to consider these AMD robots as CPU cores when we already know that AMD are marketing Compute Units now rather than CPU cores. It is therefore my belief that even if this image is legitimate, but simply is only referring to compute units and not CPU cores.

Continue the discussion on AMD's potential 12-core CPU rumor on the OC3D Forums.

«Prev 1 Next»

Most Recent Comments

25-07-2014, 05:13:20

WYP
Some tech sites are reporting on the possibility of a 12-core APU with the leak of some AMD PR material. Here is what the PR truly means.

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/artic...050038110l.png

Read more on AMD's Rumored 12-core CPU here
Quote

25-07-2014, 05:15:56

Tripp
4 cores and 8 gpu cores :/ no hope yet for a new AMD cpuQuote

25-07-2014, 05:16:10

barnsley
'12 compute cores' more like. I'm pretty sure it'll be 8 GPU cores and 4 cpu cores. Exactly like the current 7850k top-of-the-line APU.Quote

25-07-2014, 05:19:42

WYP
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
'12 compute cores' more like. I'm pretty sure it'll be 8 GPU cores and 4 cpu cores. Exactly like the current 7850k top-of-the-line APU.
Precisely, I don't know how the other sites forgotten this. A silly oversight, hence why i felt i had to write this rather than dismissing the rumor.Quote

25-07-2014, 05:20:40

MadShadow
Is that link meant to go somewhere it just sends me here: http://www.overclock3d.net/search/?k...e_cpu_coming/1

Okay I got it through the front pageQuote

25-07-2014, 05:22:18

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
Precisely, I don't know how the other sites forgotten this. A silly oversight, hence why i felt i had to write this rather than dismissing the rumor.
tbh if it was 12 cpu core FM2+ cpu it wouldn't ever be utilised properly.That said, Kaveri's cpu cores are stronger than most Bulldozer cpus so it probably would do well in certain situations.Quote

25-07-2014, 05:22:56

WYP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Is that link meant to go somewhere it just sends me here: http://www.overclock3d.net/search/?k...e_cpu_coming/1
Sorry edited the article a little, sometimes that ruins the link.Quote

25-07-2014, 06:24:15

RamboOC
Still slower than 4790kQuote

25-07-2014, 06:27:03

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
Still slower than 4790k
If we take that logic and apply it to cpus a 4790k is still slower than a E5-2697V2.
Different. Markets. :PQuote

25-07-2014, 06:30:23

SeekaX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
Still slower than 4790k
Not in games without a dedicated gpu.Quote

25-07-2014, 06:32:34

RamboOC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
Not in games without a dedicated gpu.
In terms of single core IPC performance I reckon that 4790k will have better single core ipc than the 12 core amd.

If amd fails again, the 4c/8t 4790k will beat a 12 core amd @ the same clocks with 12 cores in most benchmarksQuote

25-07-2014, 06:37:24

WYP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
In terms of single core IPC performance I will bet you that 4790k will have better single core ipc than the 12 core amd.

If amd fails again, the 4c/8t 4790k will beat a 12 core amd @ the same clocks with 12 cores in most benchmarks
You guys are forgetting that a 12 CORE AMD ISN'T COMING!

A 12 compute Unit APU is, the die size of a 12 core AMD would be massive! It would definitely need a new socket. Big Die sizes are expensive.

It is another quad core coming, with Excavator CPU cores and next gen GCN cores attached. hopefully AMD have enough CPU grunt this time.Quote

25-07-2014, 06:40:01

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
In terms of single core IPC performance I will bet you that 4790k will have better single core ipc than the 12 core amd.

If amd fails again, the 4c/8t 4790k will beat a 12 core amd @ the same clocks with 12 cores in most benchmarks
They're aimed at different price brackets. Its 12 compute cores for starters, which is almost defiantly 8 gpu cores and 4cpu cores (or the other way round). Not just 12 cpu cores. In games, without an actual gpu, the AMD APU will beat the i7. The integrated graphics aren't any good, even with the improvements intel have made.Quote

25-07-2014, 06:43:05

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
Not in games without a dedicated gpu.
Then again, which gamer buys an expensive CPU, without also getting a GPU?Quote

25-07-2014, 06:44:02

RizeAllard
12 compute units I think too... Theres no possibility to push out a 12 core APU unit at the moment for AMD. Theres no enught pin in the sockets they are using. I hope the Excavator architecture will bring some performance in memmory using and compute power too...Quote

25-07-2014, 06:44:07

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Then again, which gamer buys an expensive CPU, without also getting a GPU?
People who shouldn't be buying i7s Quote

25-07-2014, 06:44:41

RamboOC
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
They're aimed at different price brackets. Its 12 compute cores for starters, which is almost defiantly 8 gpu cores and 4cpu cores (or the other way round). Not just 12 cpu cores. In games, without an actual gpu, the AMD APU will beat the i7. The integrated graphics aren't any good, even with the improvements intel have made.
90% of gamers don't game on integrated graphics. Intel does the right thing, instead investing all into the igpu side, they put the priority towards raw powerQuote

25-07-2014, 06:46:00

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
People who shouldn't be buying i7s
Sadly, this is true Quote

25-07-2014, 06:54:05

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
90% of gamers don't game on integrated graphics. Intel does the right thing, instead investing all into the igpu side, they put the priority towards raw power
Don't generalise. You've got to remember that not everyone has the money to put an i7 in a gaming machine. AMD aren't gunning for the i7, I don't think you understand that. They've given up with going for the high end ages ago and instead are betting on small, efficient cpus for the lower end/tablets. APUs make much more sense in a HPC for example.Quote

25-07-2014, 06:56:22

SeekaX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
In terms of single core IPC performance I reckon that 4790k will have better single core ipc than the 12 core amd.

If amd fails again, the 4c/8t 4790k will beat a 12 core amd @ the same clocks with 12 cores in most benchmarks
That's not the point of an APU

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Then again, which gamer buys an expensive CPU, without also getting a GPU?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
90% of gamers don't game on integrated graphics. Intel does the right thing, instead investing all into the igpu side, they put the priority towards raw power
And 90% of all users are either casual gamers or not gamers at all. APUs have a far larger audience than CPUs. You have to realize that people like us are a minority.Quote

25-07-2014, 06:56:52

WYP
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Don't generalise. You've got to remember that not everyone has the money to put an i7 in a gaming machine. AMD aren't gunning for the i7, I don't think you understand that. They've given up with going for the high end ages ago and instead are betting on small, efficient cpus for the lower end/tablets. APUs make much more sense in a HPC for example.
There are also plenty of low end laptop gamers out there.

I spent years on a laptop with a dual core Pentium and Intel chipset Graphics (could barely run C&C Generals, not that that stopped me), APUs really give decent performance for these guys at a really low price. Not everybody can afford a "proper" gaming PCQuote

25-07-2014, 06:57:51

Xrqute
when i read it initially all i thought was-

"We can't beat their cores, So here HAVE MOAR!!!!! COOORRRREESSS!!!!"Quote

25-07-2014, 06:59:09

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
And 90% of all users are either casual gamers or not gamers at all. APUs have a far larger audience than CPUs. You have to realize that people like us are a minority.
I guess we are a minority then. I never really thought about that. Depending in the price, I suppose this APU does make sense.Quote

25-07-2014, 07:00:25

stampedeadam
The number/quality of graphics cores on AMD processors are as irrelevant as the Intel HD graphics 3000/4000/4200/4600/5000 etc. etc.

The bottom line is, if you are a gamer/video editor/designer etc. etc. you need a graphics card because even the best of these won't be good enough. If you are not a gamer (beyond bubblewitch/cut-the-rope/angry birds), the worst of them will do the job just as well.

The whole thing leaves me confused. Why even bother?Quote

25-07-2014, 07:02:05

RamboOC
I wish they would bring back the phenom series, that was back when i though that intel was on par with amdQuote

25-07-2014, 07:02:41

MadShadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampedeadam View Post
The number/quality of graphics cores on AMD processors are as irrelevant as the Intel HD graphics 3000/4000/4200/4600/5000 etc. etc.

The bottom line is, if you are a gamer/video editor/designer etc. etc. you need a graphics card because even the best of these won't be good enough. If you are not a gamer (beyond bubblewitch/cut-the-rope/angry birds), the worst of them will do the job just as well.

The whole thing leaves me confused. Why even bother?
The graphics on AMD APUs are far better than on Intel CPUs. It makes sense for casual gamers on a budget.Quote

25-07-2014, 07:03:19

RizeAllard
I also build PC-on these APU-s. They are realy good at those price points where they are in. Theres lots of people in Hungary who cannot afford i5 of i7 and a discrete gpu on their rigs, and there comes AMD with APU. I know they not have as much compute power as i5 but! they can give you the oportunity to play games on low cost. The "gamers" i've built PC on APUs are mainly playing online games like war thunder, World of Tanks, or Word of Planes, and so on. And its integrated gpu is more then enought for them.
My father use this rig:http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=65748
He can play with medium settings on 1080p at 35fps.Quote

25-07-2014, 07:15:03

Thelosouvlakia
Who said that 220TDP was a boundary...
Nyehehehe AMD will destroy the earth!
If however amd pushes out an 8-core APU that performs even as good as an i5 in terms of CPU performance I would be more than happyQuote

25-07-2014, 07:37:40

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampedeadam View Post
The bottom line is, if you are a gamer/video editor/designer etc. etc. you need a graphics card because even the best of these won't be good enough. If you are not a gamer (beyond bubblewitch/cut-the-rope/angry birds), the worst of them will do the job just as well.

The whole thing leaves me confused. Why even bother?
Budget. Build.

For the price they're decent. Also, they get playable framerate in pretty much ever game at 1080p. Oh, also anything that uses OpenCL and OpenGL it actually does better than low end i5s and i3s.

The APU isn't made for enthusiasts, people have got to remember this :P.Quote

25-07-2014, 08:09:56

Dussan
I honestly love the concept of apu's and have built rigs for friends on budget for cs go and bf3 / LoL and others that doesn't require that much hardware.

no matter what AMD has in stock its gonna be interesting in the budget segment, g3258 showed there is a market for it.Quote

25-07-2014, 08:29:54

stampedeadam
I understand the budget thing. I used to be a skint student who loved his Athlon XP and Geforce 4MX - overclocked the living cack out of both of them... but...

Having had a look at the benchmarks here

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...averi-review/8

Even on very low detail settings the very best chip - the A10-7850k - gives barely playable framerates. And even then, only if you're prepared to buy high end RAM (APU uses system memory for the frame buffer). BUT - it does mean that you don't have the expense of a GPU. So let's do the working out - new components for both "traditional" GPU/CPU/mobo and APU setups.

The APU is available on ebay for about £125 new and you can get an FM2+ mobo for about £30 if you look hard enough. So £155 total.

Traditional setup all from ebuyer.com - free delivery too:

Pentium G3258 -£46.98
Asrock H81 mobo (overclocking capable) - £29.79
MSI GTX 750 OC - £81.99

So we have gone over budget by £2 or so but - we can use cheaper RAM with very little difference on performance and - isn't that setup going to be better?Quote

25-07-2014, 08:36:46

barnsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampedeadam View Post
I understand the budget thing. I used to be a skint student who loved his Athlon XP and Geforce 4MX - overclocked the living cack out of both of them... but...

Having had a look at the benchmarks here

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...averi-review/8

Even on very low detail settings the very best chip - the A10-7850k - gives barely playable framerates. And even then, only if you're prepared to buy high end RAM. BUT - it does mean that you don't have the expense of a GPU. So let's do the working out - new components for both "traditional" GPU/CPU/mobo and APU setups.

The APU is available on ebay for about £125 new and you can get an FM2+ mobo for about £30 if you look hard enough. So £155 total.

Traditional setup all from ebuyer.com - free delivery too:

Pentium G3258 -£46.98
Asrock H81 mobo (overclocking capable) - £29.79
MSI GTX 750 OC - £81.99

So we have gone over budget by £2 or so but - we can use cheaper RAM with very little difference on performance and - isn't that setup going to be better?
Yes and no. depends on the games in question. Also I don't think that motherboard would be a good idea to OC on :P.Quote

25-07-2014, 08:43:51

stampedeadam
You might argue that putting a few more quid in the pot for better quality mobo is a good idea - but you could argue that for both setups really - both setups are going to need an overclock to give of their best.Quote

25-07-2014, 09:28:39

RizeAllard
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampedeadam View Post
You might argue that putting a few more quid in the pot for better quality mobo is a good idea - but you could argue that for both setups really - both setups are going to need an overclock to give of their best.
Overclocking is not an option for the most of the users has these configs. I know lot of people around me who do not know what BIOS is meaning. Most of these people use computers from this price point. They purchase a computer what their purce can take mainly between 300-400 euro. They don't care whats in it. They just want to turn it on and play a game or watch a movie. They wont use the latest games on ultra hd displays. Do not compare their needs with yours. I'am also an enthusiast man. I always push money in my rig to go on with the latest hardwares. But I can also confirm that these apu-s much better in some cases then the intel pentiums or i3-s as well.Quote
Reply
x

Register for the OC3D Newsletter

Subscribing to the OC3D newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest technology reviews, competitions and goings-on at Overclock3D. We won't share your email address with ANYONE, and we will only email you with updates on site news, reviews, and competitions and you can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Simply enter your name and email address into the box below and be sure to click on the links in the confirmation emails that will arrive in your e-mail shortly after to complete the registration.

If you run into any problems, just drop us a message on the forums.